Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

4 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Will pretending to be woke throw Axl Rose off the scent of #MeToo?? Stay tuned...

Can someone reply "shutup and sing"!  🤦‍♂️

Edited by Sydney Fan

On 5/3/2020 at 5:48 PM, Top-Hatted One said:

Starting to wonder if it’s still really Axl himself posting the last few years or one of the other members Of his entourage posting under his name. 

yes Axl is human and free to express himself but everyone can see the usual hypocrisy. Is it worth alienating half the fan base?

Axl should just tweet/post like Slash. Lots of boobies. Everyone loves boobies, so no one feels alienated. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Axl should just tweet/post like Slash. Lots of boobies. Everyone loves boobies, so no one feels alienated. 

16 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

You clearly must think society only consists of straight men.

Or he was obviously joking. 

• Like 2

Looks promising. I don’t actually follow Guns N’ Roses on social media or anything, I just couldn’t be f*cked and lets face it there’s nothing to follow. But I just noticed the above Instagram (?) post of theirs and it suggests 4.7m followers. Now ‘m’ either stands for million or mediocre (jokes) but if it is 4.7 million then that is pretty impressive. How does that compare to more popular contemporary artists  and bands? Seems decent popularity. Maybe they should release new music and capitalise on that :-)

Edited by DownUnderScott
Mistake

6 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Looks promising. I don’t actually follow Guns N’ Roses on social media or anything, I just couldn’t be f*cked and lets face it there’s nothing to follow. But I just noticed the above Instagram (?) post of theirs and it suggests 4.7m followers. Now ‘m’ either stands for million or mediocre (jokes) but if it is 4.7 million then that is pretty impressive. How does that compare to more popular contemporary artists  and bands? Seems decent popularity. Maybe they should release new music and capitalise on that :-)

Gnr is pretty popular despite their lack of music and various mess ups. It still amazes me that they have two 1 biliion viewed song while Michael Jackson has none. Contemporary pop artist lady gaga has only one. 

31 minutes ago, Zinia_29 said:

Gnr is pretty popular despite their lack of music and various mess ups. It still amazes me that they have two 1 biliion viewed song while Michael Jackson has none. Contemporary pop artist lady gaga has only one. 

Cause there’s probably hardly any depth in what Gaga does – it’s shallow pop crap with no soul, created for profit by producers, not particularly differing from thousands of other "artists" generating similar shit. As for Jackson, he’s kinda "meh" to me, although one has to give this guy a certain credit. (However – I’m not dissing anyone listening to any of this; do whatever ya want, be free!)
GN’R, on the other hand, is art. Real musicians, sitting in a garage and grinding away chords and rudiments in sweat, creating their own sound, identity, signature, living out their songs, and making real music that impacts millions of people across generations, especially back in late 80s / early 90s. 
These two entities are not comparable in the slightest. 

4 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Well, if we're going to use YouTube play counts as an indicator of real art, then we have to concede that Bieber is the modern-day Mozart.

Whilst GNR have 2 videos upwards of 1 billion views, the rest of their YouTube play count numbers are much, much lower than Jackson's, who has 18 videos with 100mil+ views, compared to GNR, who have just 7. It is also worth noting that GNR has 7.43m subscribers, whereas Jackson has 16.9m.

One of these acts has toured persistently for the last decade, whereas the other has been dead for a decade and hasn't toured for 25 years. It's a no-brainer overall, in terms of who has the greater impact in terms of legacy and the YouTube play counts corroborate this.

I was waiting for your reaction :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Well, if we're going to use YouTube play counts as an indicator of real art, then we have to concede that Bieber is the modern-day Mozart.

Whilst GNR have 2 videos upwards of 1 billion views, the rest of their YouTube play count numbers are much, much lower than Jackson's, who has 18 videos with 100mil+ views, compared to GNR, who have just 7. It is also worth noting that GNR has 7.43m subscribers, whereas Jackson has 16.9m.

One of these acts has toured persistently for the last decade, whereas the other has been dead for a decade and hasn't toured for 25 years. It's a no-brainer overall, in terms of who has the greater impact in terms of legacy and the YouTube play counts corroborate this.

That’s the sad part of it. However, if we’re talking legacy, GN’R wins by far, despite current yt view numbers. Those just reflect what trends now. If you could look back at the present era – say from the 80s to the 20s – in 50 or more years (or look at it from an extraterrestrial’s point of view), it’s the GN’R hits what will be remembered more than some unoriginal, unimaginative pop crap with like one so-so good melody line, exploited throughout the song...
Anyway, to each their own. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jamillos said:

That’s the sad part of it. However, if we’re talking legacy, GN’R wins by far, despite current yt view numbers. Those just reflect what trends now. If you could look back at the present era – say from the 80s to the 20s – in 50 or more years (or look at it from an extraterrestrial’s point of view), it’s the GN’R hits what will be remembered more than some unoriginal, unimaginative pop crap with like one so-so good melody line, exploited throughout the song...

Not quite sure how you work that one out.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, jamillos said:

GN’R with more legacy BY FAR than Michael Jackson?, okay. I think it’s time for me to get some sleep, too much internet for today.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Not quite sure how you work that one out.

The numbers, to a large degree, reflect current trending, whether just fads or even long-term. However, if you look back at the 90s, what is more valued and remembered today – stuff like 2 Unlimited, DJ Bobo, and Scooter (and I assure you these "artists" were really huge back then, at least in Europe), or Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, and Iron Maiden? I think it’s pretty clear, and the reason is not the fact these bands are still active. Even if they’d broken up in the 90s – like Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, sort of – the legacy would be the same, if not bigger. 
Time is the factor. It’s always time that verifies/validates quality. 
Don’t wanna lecture anyone here, but quality has a certain aspect similar to the truth. It exists and prevails even without “propagation”. It will still be here. Look at Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. On the other hand, lies and poor quality have to be promoted, otherwise it would disappear among heaps of other shitty products. 
Time will tell. It always does. Nothing beginning with "DJ" can withstand the test of time in terms of quality (Ashba jokes incoming :D). 

9 minutes ago, NicoGNR5 said:

GN’R with more legacy BY FAR than Michael Jackson?, okay. I think it’s time for me to get some sleep, too much internet for today.

That's not quite what I said. I can't compare these two. They're incomparable. 

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

The numbers, to a large degree, reflect current trending, whether just fads or even long-term. However, if you look back at the 90s, what is more valued and remembered today – stuff like 2 Unlimited, DJ Bobo, and Scooter (and I assure you these "artists" were really huge back then, at least in Europe), or Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, and Iron Maiden? I think it’s pretty clear, and the reason is not the fact these bands are still active. Even if they’d broken up in the 90s – like Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, sort of – the legacy would be the same, if not bigger. 
Time is the factor. It’s always time that verifies/validates quality. 
Don’t wanna lecture anyone here, but quality has a certain aspect similar to the truth. It exists and prevails even without “propagation”. It will still be here. Look at Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. On the other hand, lies and poor quality have to be promoted, otherwise it would disappear among heaps of other shitty products. 
Time will tell. It always does. Nothing beginning with "DJ" can withstand the test of time in terms of quality (Ashba jokes incoming :D). 

That's not quite what I said. I can't compare these two. They're incomparable. 

You can't have it both ways. On one hand you claim the reason GNR have 2 videos over a billion views is because they create "real art" (presumably implying that Jackson didn't). But then when I point out that Jackson has almost triple the amount of videos with 100m+ views than GNR, you dismiss it as being "current trends."

Isn't it more likely that the act who has been touring persistently for the past decade is influencing "current trends" rather than the guy who has been dead for over a decade and hasn't toured in 25 years?

Jackson's numbers will continue to soar in the years to come, whereas GNR's will eventually plateau once the band retire/die. I guarantee it. And I say that as a huge fan of both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

I dunno. In terms of instagram 4.7 mil followers isn't a lot. Not when you have self styled youtube 'make up gurus' who have follower counts upwards of 16/17 mil.

I think that's a reflection of what youth culture is about now rather than anything else. Lil Peep has 5.5 mil followers and he's been dead a while now.

I haven't looked but I would expect Guns to have a higher following on FB due to age demographics. 

• Like 1