Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

16 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Oh, okay. I stand corrected, shows you how much I know or care about social media. It sounded impressive to me but as 'James Bond' pointed out above that doesn't compare too favourably to someone like Billie Eilish. 

I will have a parting shot though at some of the popularity of those artists - here we are discussing Guns N' Roses, and they are attracting huge crowds to shows, featuring on twitter trends etc... some three decades or more after their debut album. 

My guess is no-one will even remember Billie Eilish, and countless others like her, in one decade let alone three decades. :headbang:

"New music bad"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Oh, okay. I stand corrected, shows you how much I know or care about social media. It sounded impressive to me but as 'James Bond' pointed out above that doesn't compare too favourably to someone like Billie Eilish. 

I will have a parting shot though at some of the popularity of those artists - here we are discussing Guns N' Roses, and they are attracting huge crowds to shows, featuring on twitter trends etc... some three decades or more after their debut album. 

My guess is no-one will even remember Billie Eilish, and countless others like her, in one decade let alone three decades. :headbang:

Her career is literally just getting started. So only time will tell. I think it's a bit unfair to say who will or won't be played in a couple decades based on your apparent bias. 

And if you want to compare social media stats to "flimsy" pop artists that are still going strong more than a decade into their careers: Beyonce has 145 million on IG and Rihanna has 81. 

Anyone who hasn't yet listened to Billie Eilish's "When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go" is missing out in my opinion, it's a pretty unique sound and my most listened to album this year :)

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, baje said:

Her career is literally just getting started. So only time will tell. I think it's a bit unfair to say who will or won't be played in a couple decades based on your apparent bias. 

I know your not talking literally when you say her career is just getting started, but it's crazy to think she's been in the industry almost 5 years now. Some of her EPs from back when shes was like 15/16 and even younger amazing. So many good songs for someone so young.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, registra said:

I know your not talking literally when you say her career is just getting started, but it's crazy to think she's been in the industry almost 5 years now. Some of her EPs from back when shes was like 15/16 and even younger amazing. So many good songs for someone so young.

Yeah. She's 18 so it's hard to believe what she's been able to accomplish already. Her album was one of my most listened to last year and all of her EPs are great. "Lovely" is just beautiful. 

6 hours ago, Uncle Bob said:

"New music bad"

“Keyboard Warrior funny”

I actually don’t disagree with all you Billie lovers. I think she has an amazing voice and is immensely talented. But last year she played here in Brisbane to 10 000 people, and GnR played here a couple of years ago to 50 000. So when she is doing those numbers in the year 2050 , I will say she has had an incredible and sustained career. 

But yes, she leaves Guns N Roses for dead when it comes to actually being an active and relevant artist.

Social media stats are absolutely irrelevant really to how a music career will play out. You have all the bots, fake accounts, manipulation (musicians deliberately creating likes for themselves) for starters. Then of course the fact that there's a big difference between someone sitting on their arse idly 'liking' something because their pals have and actually going out to see a musician or spend any money on them. 

I thought the story of Threatin would be enough to highlight what bullshit basing anything on social media presence is. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

It's always a hard thing for the mods to deal with. GN'Rs social media is generally so bad that there's very little to actually discuss. To be honest, the discussion over the past couple of pages is the most interesting thing to happen on this thread in a very long time :/

Nothing gets this thread hopping more than talking about something else!

• Haha 2

Wow. Yet again they've amazed me.

So.....the money just sits in their account until they decide what they want to do? Astonishing. 

No other band has done this- just let dates sail past without being rescheduled have they? Correct me if I'm wrong here....

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Wow. Yet again they've amazed me.

So.....the money just sits in their account until they decide what they want to do? Astonishing. 

No other band has done this- just let dates sail past without being rescheduled have they? Correct me if I'm wrong here....

The money is not in their account. It’s in the promoters/ticketing account 

Having to postpone/cancel/reschedule every major concert globally and provide refunds is a logistical nightmare where if done improperly, prob bankrupts a company 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

The money is not in their account. It’s in the promoters/ticketing account 

Having to postpone/cancel/reschedule every major concert globally and provide refunds is a logistical nightmare where if done improperly, prob bankrupts a company 

Well then the promoters/ticketing account should pull their fucking fingers out. They seem to have managed to do it for every other band on their books. 

Again....has ANY other band sat back and let the gig dates pass with a vague "we'll get back to you" about maybe rescheduling? 

• Like 1