Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

23 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I get closer to gouging out my eyeballs every time I read the words "GN'R Fam"

compared to the post of the band account there is no "GN'R FAM" in the caption of Duff's post, maybe not admired by some band members too:lol:

Edited by EricA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Manfisman said:

Good to know that you can ask for a refund! Let's see the new dates. I don't see any stadium being full for 2021 but we'll see how the world reacts.

But Iron Maiden doesn't call their fans 'Maiden Fam'. Fuck this band :lol:

Its so fucking cringy......

As a fan i still cant comprehend that one of the biggest bands of the 90s was managed by Axls housekeeper and now her son. A band like this should have one of the best management teams. I personally think Axl is just lazy as fuck.

When you look at a well oiled machine like Metallica and Maiden, with a huge Management firm, enjoy playing and releasing music it makes GNR just look shiit

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, moreblack said:

When they tried that, they were playing much smaller places with johnny randoms as the musicians

not sure that has much to do with why Gn'R were playing smaller venues. The more logical reason could be simply cause Slash wasn't there. And those "johnny randoms" like Bumblefoot who is now playing with Portnoy and made an album with Scott Weiland, or Robin who played with Trent or Tommy are not exactly nobodies in my book.

They're just not as big as the classic members of one of the biggest bands in the world.

Edited by Rovim

6 hours ago, EricA said:

compared to the post of the band account there is no "GN'R FAM" in the caption of Duff's post, maybe not admired by some band members too:lol:

Every time they use it I cringe too. It is horrible.

We are fans not fam and most of us are over 35+ years old. The band members nearing 60 years old. Dont talk to us like we are cool young hipsters in our teens. We are adults.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

To cite what other bands are doing may not be helpful simply due to differing life experiences, personalities, mental health etc  Also I am not sure why Fernando and TB should get the blame for the band not doing what we want them to, I am sure new music etc is down to band members, were they managing at the time of the reunion, if so I think this is a pretty big deal.  

Edited by DurhamGirl

11 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

To cite what other bands are doing may not be helpful simply due to differing life experiences, personalities, mental health etc  Also I am not sure why Fernando and TB should get the blame for the band not doing what we want them to, I am sure new music etc is down to band members, were they managing at the time of the reunion, if so I think this is a pretty big deal.  

Ok. The management of the band are entirely to blame when they don't inform people for weeks about concerts being postponed or cancelled. It is the managements job to represent the band, and get the information out to the people interested. They didn't do this for weeks and now they are back pedalling, when they could so easily have gotten out in front of it. 

This is a business, and there are right and wrong ways to do things... Some major bands took the right strategy and got out of their touring obligations ASAP, and then informed fans about refunds etc. others like GNR decided to wait as long as they could, in the hope that they could go out still play some dates and make the money. I totally understand that GNR are not 100% in control of the situation, but if some bands of a similar size, with similar itineraries can get out of contracts unscathed in a timely fashion, GNR certainly could have too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

You can also add "motivational factors/ give a shit" to that list.

I will always compare GNR to metallica as there isnt much of a difference in age between both bands and both bands shared a stage together for a tour in 92. So i think they would view each other as peers.

So for metallica we have them with QPrime since the early 90s. GNR with BigFD Mgt ( doug goldstein) since early 90s.

Both bands release one of their biggest records in their careers in 91. Metallica also release " a year and a half in the life of" covering them making the Black album.

Both bands tour their albums both tours end in 93.

Metallica do a Summer US tour in 94 and now work on next record.

Metallica then decide to experiment and release load, reload, garage days (covers album), release cunning stunts DVD, S&M, st anger (argueably their rough spot), some kind of monster DVD,  and in 08 release Death Magnetic.

We have GNR releasing Tokyo DVDs in 93, TSI in 94, the band have trouble agreeing on musical direction and splinter in 96, and Axl finally releases CD in 08.

I think we can agree when it comes to lack of GNR music, film etc this is down to one person only and thats Axl.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

Nobody is blaming TB for no new music. TB are to be blamed for everything else though: bad communication, focussing on horrible merch instead of cool things like live shows, the whole YouTube saga, attacking fans on social media, being fucking useless and not pushing the band to do anything.

1 hour ago, chinese stew said:

So US fans can ask for refund but EU ticket holders can't?

Yeah, that pissed me off more than having to read #gnrfam for the thousandth time

How does it make sense that the dates, further away from ones already passed are entitled to refunds first? eh.... I want my money back, please and thanks! 

I read on livenation that 60 days after the initial postponement you can opt to get a refund, also when new dates are added you can choose either the date or a refund.

At this point no band can actually guarantee they will be playing, so refunds should be coming. Problem is the money isn't there to refund everybody "Where's the money Lebowski".

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

You can also add "motivational factors/ give a shit" to that list.

I will always compare GNR to metallica as there isnt much of a difference in age between both bands and both bands shared a stage together for a tour in 92. So i think they would view each other as peers.

So for metallica we have them with QPrime since the early 90s. GNR with BigFD Mgt ( doug goldstein) since early 90s.

Both bands release one of their biggest records in their careers in 91. Metallica also release " a year and a half in the life of" covering them making the Black album.

Both bands tour their albums both tours end in 93.

Metallica do a Summer US tour in 94 and now work on next record.

Metallica then decide to experiment and release load, reload, garage days (covers album), release cunning stunts DVD, S&M, st anger (argueably their rough spot), some kind of monster DVD,  and in 08 release Death Magnetic.

We have GNR releasing Tokyo DVDs in 93, TSI in 94, the band have trouble agreeing on musical direction and splinter in 96, and Axl finally releases CD in 08.

I think we can agree when it comes to lack of GNR music, film etc this is down to one person only and thats Axl.

Exactly.

My wife is a big Metallica fan and we're following every week this Metallica Monday of theirs, which is really really great. But everytime I watch it, I wish GN'R could do something at least close to this. Metallica simply put out the BEST FAN SERVICE I know from a band. First of all, they have their own streaming service, and now with quarentine you get to see a new full concert per week, this week was one from 83 which is from my perspective the equivalent from Ritz 87 from Guns.

I think the fault on GN'Rs bad fan service is on Axl's being insecure and completely paranoid with new stuff. You don't need to be fully creative on your 50/60's, I mean, you just have to fucking work. 

• Like 2

The usual reply to all this is, ''Axl doesn't owe you anything'', to which one can easily reply, ''neither does Metallica''.

(Substitute ''Metallica'' for Iron Maiden, Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Pearl Jam - basically everybody!!).

Bands don't do this because they owe us. They usually do it because they want to.

• Like 3

As far as I’m concerned bands who are more present and/or productive during the pandemic are not suddenly altruistic public servants. They are just adapting their business models.

we are just seeing two types of business. 

1) cold, corporate and disinterested (Guns)

2) entrepreneurial. Being creative in how they bring their wares to market. Innovating how they remain in the public eye (most bands).

IMHO, from that perspective it’s the entrepreneurial bands who are more money hungry. On the other hand, entrepreneurialism is a form of creativity. So those bands are also more vital creatively (from a certain point of view).

• Like 2