Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

some do really not get what #blackouttuesday & #theshowmustbepaused is about.

But to write a explanation for those, is not worth the typing.

Edited by EricA
  • Like 3

Think some didn't get the ironic side of GN'R Lies. They still beliving that UTLH is about kill women and OIAM about kill black people. Maybe they think that the nazi symbols in punk scene are about nazi propaganda too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jhonn Dee said:

Think some didn't get the ironic side of GN'R Lies. They still beliving that UTLH is about kill women and OIAM about kill black people. Maybe they think that the nazi symbols in punk scene are about nazi propaganda too.

Definetly this...

I was only 2 years old when that song came out, but I believe the media back then made GnR and Axl in particular seem like a racist motherfucker...and the damage was done.

I get the true meaning of the song, but if you listen to it out of its context, then you would think what the media made a lot of people believe. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jhonn Dee said:

But now it is not about GN'R. It's the entertainment industry. Radio, t.v., record comapanies are behind this idea

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52889419

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Definetly this...

I was only 2 years old when that song came out, but I believe the media back then made GnR and Axl in particular seem like a racist motherfucker...and the damage was done.

I get the true meaning of the song, but if you listen to it out of its context, then you would think what the media made a lot of people believe. 

It's not that hard to get the sarcasm of the song, but there's this thing I perceived over the years which is that there was no room for that kind of statement, in any way, shape or form, especially coming from a white, privilleged guy and during that time in history. 

I don't want to start a debate on this OIAM matter or anything because it's an old one and beaten to death, nonetheless, I can't pick sides when both sides (Axl's lyrics and the media/public judging him forever based on an unhappy statement) are just kinda wrong.

• Like 1

I think that besides the obvious sarcasm of GNR Lies, there are a lot of lyrics that are really racist and sexist that didn't get that amount of backlash. So yeah, it is an unhappy statement really blown out of proportion by the media at the time, mainly because that sold magazines.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jhonn Dee said:

Comparing UTLH and OIAM? Wow... 

Sorry but there isn't an ironic side of OIAM. It was a dead serious song and unfortunately Axl meant what he said. Those sentences he used aren't nothing to joke about like about a killing a woman and still hear her complain. It's all about the context and there is nothing funny about OIAM.

But I do believe that's somthing Axl wouldn't release today just because he matured enough and he probably knows that it's not right to generalize things. 

But it is what it is. A bad ass song with the sadest kind of lyrics. 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why would anyone be interested in what the writer of 'One in a Million' has to say about this subject?

Maybe because people try not to be assholes now but instead choose to be decent people and acknowledge that almost everyone is taking a stand now. You pointing out that Axl once wrote One in a Million is just poor taste and another way to belittle the fact that the band is taking a stand. Which is mostly the way that racist assholes behave. But more power to you if you think thats the right way to behave right now.

1 minute ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Maybe because people try not to be assholes now but instead choose to be decent people and acknowledge that almost everyone is taking a stand now. You pointing out that Axl once wrote One in a Million is just poor taste and another way to belittle the fact that the band is taking a stand. Which is mostly the way that racist assholes behave. But more power to you if you think thats the right way to behave right now.

I do not think there is any lack of taste in pointing out that that guy who is now hectoring on race issues, once wrote,

Police and hooray for tolerance!s, that's right 
Get outta my way
Don't need to buy none of your 
Gold chains today
Now don't need no bracelets 
Clamped in front of my back

You either believe Rose has had a Damascean conversion or not I suppose!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why would anyone be interested in what the writer of 'One in a Million' has to say about this subject?

being anti-racism is now a lucrative business.

gotta score those woke points fast

Axl knows no shame

Edited by action

1 minute ago, Lio said:

:lol: Axl being called racist when Slash was in the band and while he's been living with a Brazilian family for decades. People calling him a racist and a hypocrite have more than probably uttered racist slurs towards Beta and the Lebeis clan. If you really believe Axl was/is racist, don't you think that that would have come out during the bitter years? Ridiculous.

People calling out GNR on this matter is just an excuse for racist assholes (see above) to put down the protests and the support for those protests.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lio said:

:lol: Axl being called racist when Slash was in the band and while he's been living with a Brazilian family for decades. People calling him a racist and a hypocrite have more than probably uttered racist slurs towards Beta and the Lebeis clan. If you really believe Axl was/is racist, don't you think that that would have come out during the bitter years? Ridiculous.

I think people are criticising Axl more for being a hypocrite, rather than being a supposed racist.

I don't think Axl is racist (never did), but I do think he's a hypocrite, trying to squeeze money and attention out of a horrible racist assault. I'm surprised so many people fall for it.

Axl should just shut the fuck up

Edited by action
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, action said:

I think people are criticising Axl more for being a hypocrite, rather than being a supposed racist.

I don't think Axl is racist (never did), but I do think he's a hypocrite, trying to squeeze money and attention out of a horrible racist assault. I'm surprised so many people fall for it.

Axl should just shut the fuck up

How is he squeezing money out of it? Do you think people will go out and buy a 12 year old album now? Or a 33 year old album? Why is it suddenly wrong to make a stand against racism and police brutality? Artists have always spoken out against things they felt were wrong in society, no?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

How is he squeezing money out of it? Do you think people will go out and buy a 12 year old album now? Or a 33 year old album? Why is it suddenly wrong to make a stand against racism and police brutality? Artists have always spoken out against things they felt were wrong in society, no?

then, why didn't he speak out about it earlier?

he's a hypocrite Lio. All those celebs crawling out of the woodwork now are. 

• Like 1

Just now, action said:

All those artists jumping the bandwagon now, speaking out against racism, have as much credibility as a fox in a chicken's den.

When the fox preaches, take care of your geese

How do you know they're jumping on the bandwagon? Maybe considered the fact that unlike you, they never liked racism?