Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It is quite apparent Gilby didn't act as a lead guitar player in Guns.. He played his role perfectly.. As well as in Snakepit and he also let Slash play lead on two songs from PAwnshop Guitar. Also have never heard Slash say anything negative.. Fortus is the one who wants to be a lead player. Constantly overdoing it. Watch the Rocket Queen from down load and his solo still doesn't fit the song at all. Then hoe the hell is Slash supposed to solo tastefully over whatever the hell he is doing in the background during Slash's solo? Less is more when being a rhythm guitarist unless you can tasfeful intertwine.. He can't..

I agree with that, especially the bit about Fortus. There's lots of places where it's like he's trying to solo along with Slash or overplay in general. Gilby never did that.

5 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Slash said that during the initial release of Contraband. He said that Dave Kishner was the first guitar player to truly compliment his style since Izzy and that Gilby was “too conscious” of Slash’s playing to be a good fit. 

Oh, I think he said that then because him and Duff were trying to make VR look better than GnR at that time. He's definitely said positive things about Izzy in recent years and I don't think he dislikes Gilby's playing at all. Seems like he gets along really well with him.

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree with that, especially the bit about Fortus. There's lots of places where it's like he's trying to solo along with Slash or overplay in general. Gilby never did that.

Oh, I think he said that then because him and Duff were trying to make VR look better than GnR at that time. He's definitely said positive things about Izzy in recent years and I don't think he dislikes Gilby's playing at all. Seems like he gets along really well with him.

You’re probably correct. Slash can be a bit of promotion whore. 

Just butting in, The Big 3 will continue with Axl's staff of professional musicians for as long as the shows sell out or is profittable. Izzy or Gilby, both by what you all are saying and has been said before, don't compete  lead guitar, Slash. Safe to say, they will never be a guest . Actually, Izzy and Gilby never instrumentally competed or compteted in stage presence either. That was just them , personality wise. There is nothing wrong musically or personality wise either with Slash- Fortus mix. Everyone is different. NITL tour. Win for fans or just those out for a night of entertainment.You got your money's worth. One show was enough for me. Win for The Big3. 550 million top 5 selling tour ever.

Fortus plays rhythm and lead, he did when DJ and Bumble were in the band too, and Robin and Buckethead. So I can't blame him for wanting to and playing lead at times.

Isn't he also the best (from a technical standpoint) guitar player left in the band since Bumblefoot left? I think he plays some of Bucket's stuff live now.

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Fortus plays rhythm and lead, he did when DJ and Bumble were in the band too, and Robin and Buckethead. So I can't blame him for wanting to and playing lead at times.

Isn't he also the best (from a technical standpoint) guitar player left in the band since Bumblefoot left? I think he plays some of Bucket's stuff live now.

Technique is not everything. There's a reason why Slash is the lead guitarist of GNR snd not Richard.

• Like 4

Prior to when Fortus was hired, he had been summoned to an earlier audition period for NuGuns. After Fincks first departure in the auditions that eventually lead to Buckethead getting the gig.

Fortus showed up in whatever city the auditions were in and Tommy and co informed him that Buckethead had just got the slot. So close!

So, Fortus was in consideration for a lead guitar role at one point. A lead role in a 2 guitar band. But yes, he was finally hired for the rhythm role in a 3 guitar band when Paul stepped back. Paul also played some leads just like Izzy and Gilby of course.

I actually get a crack outta Guns album booklets with the "lead and rhythm guitar" and "rhythm and lead guitar" distinctions for Slash and Izzy. So petty and overwrought, imho, lol

• Like 1

GN'R had three lead guitarist prior to the reunion, for years. 

At least that was how they were described by one guy who was mixing their live recordings, it was on a video. 2009-2011 or so, can't remember. A guy was showing parts of SCOM that was recorded live and mentioned the band had three lead guitars. Wish I remembered more, or had a link. I'm sure others remember the video. 

20 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

You said there was a reason 4tus is not the lead guitarist. That was  not in his job description

You just have to give the NITL live series a listen. Listen to Rocket Queen and you'll realize why Richard isn't the lead guitarist. 

Like I said before, technique isn't everything. He is able to run circles around Slash with the guitar, but he isn't able to create something relevant on his own.

Tltr: Currently Richard is the best guitarist in GNR from a technical standpoint and he is also the most replaceable guitarist. He does his job but he isn't important in any way.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

You just have to give the NITL live series a listen. Listen to Rocket Queen and you'll realize why Richard isn't the lead guitarist. 

Like I said before, technique isn't everything. He is able to run circles around Slash with the guitar, but he isn't able to create something relevant on his own.

Tltr: Currently Richard is the best guitarist in GNR from a technical standpoint and he is also the most replaceable guitarist. He does his job but he isn't important in any way.

Richard  isn't the lead guitarist  because he was hired to cover Izzy's parts in the material in 2002  the end. 

Just now, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Cause he is the best person for the job.

He's definitely not. The best man for Richards position is Izzy. A guy who's able to write great music and has a feel for Slash and Axl. He's also the missing link in the main GNR songwriter trio.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

7 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

He's definitely not. The best man for Richards position is Izzy. A guy who's able to write great music and has a feel for Slash and Axl. He's also the missing link in the main GNR songwriter trio.

Well then you should tell Slash to fire Richard then cause he disagrees with you.

“He and I complement each other really well,” Slash says. “I think Rich has brought out some of my best guitar playing, just playing with him, because he’s so accomplished technically and all that. We wanted to get it focused more in a feel for what Appetite really sounded like. We just slowly but surely evolved into something that captured that but still seems new and fresh. It’s been an interesting ride and a lot of fun.”

https://www.laweekly.com/slash-is-still-living-the-dream/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

As much as I love Izzy, yeah he is the perfect guy to write great music with but he is also the flakiest person to do that with. Have him on the production and the record is already on thinner ice(since axl already puts it on a thin ice lol). 

3 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Well then you should tell Slash to fire Richard then cause he disagrees with you.

“He and I complement each other really well,” Slash says. “I think Rich has brought out some of my best guitar playing, just playing with him, because he’s so accomplished technically and all that. We wanted to get it focused more in a feel for what Appetite really sounded like. We just slowly but surely evolved into something that captured that but still seems new and fresh. It’s been an interesting ride and a lot of fun.”

https://www.laweekly.com/slash-is-still-living-the-dream/

Usually Slash doesn't say anything negative about his current band mates. That wouldn't be very smart. You have to ask him a few years after the band breaks up to get an honest answer.

But...Just think about it yourself. Is it really Slash's best guitar playing right now with Richard beside him? I think at least 90 percent of the forum members disagree with you.

Just compare him playing with Richard now and with SMKC in 2019. Maybe you'll see a difference. 

Edited by Free Bird
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Usually Slash doesn't say anything negative about his current band mates. That wouldn't be very smart. You have to ask him a few years after the band breaks up to get an honest answer.

But...Just think about it yourself. Is it really Slash's best guitar playing right now with Richard beside him? I think at least 90 percent of the forum members disagree with you.

Just compare him playing with Richard now and with SMKC in 2019. Maybe you'll see a difference. 

I disagree...Slash is playing super sloppy with Myles and Sidoris as well. 
Its his change of style the main conflict here...you can also see his slopiness when he played Safari Inn (dont remember at what award that was) or Crazy Train with Myles and another weird singer...

Ive said it before, with some exceptions, his playing is breaking the structure of his original solos and kinda lacking the magic the guy brings in studio.

The problem its Slash, not Richard or anyone else

Edited by Alejandro GNR
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Do you have any examples of that?

I’ve seen plenty of Slashs fails in SMKC. I remember some versions of Wicked Stone that just werent going nowhere, fails in Great Pretender, even TOYLIG which seem to be simple solos....

I dont know, Slash seems to play that way now and its fine, he’s Slash, we love him.

I just prefer his older style which he still has in studio.

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Yes and it came from Slash's mouth so thats where the buck stops.

Ever since he returned to GNR those around him said he has been playing better than ever. From the crew to Axl

Saw GNR twice on the recent run and they were amazing both shows i went to and was going to see them again at Fenway.

SMCK can not be compared to GNR in any capacity because they are completely 2 different bands/styles and frankly SMCK is completely overrated IMO very repetitive style.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Ever since he returned to GNR those around him said he has been playing better than ever. From the crew to Axl

Saw GNR twice on the recent run and they were amazing both shows i went to and was going to see them again at Fenway.

SMCK can not be compared to GNR in any capacity because they are completely 2 different bands/styles and frankly SMCK is completely overrated IMO very repetitive style.

Ok you're right.

2 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I disagree...Slash is playing super sloppy with Myles and Sidoris as well. 
Its his change of style the main conflict here...you can also see his slopiness when he played Safari Inn (dont remember at what award that was) or Crazy Train with Myles and another weird singer...

Ive said it before, with some exceptions, his playing is breaking the structure of his original solos and kinda lacking the magic the guy brings in studio.

The problem its Slash, not Richard or anyone else

I heard you saying such things before snd my impression is you are pretty biased towards Slash. I don't know why. Maybe you are an Axl fanboy and you want to distract from his inability to sing certain songs probably. 

I really don't care.

Just one thing. Anyone who doesn't feel the feeling in Slash's guitar playing has no feeling left inside in himself. 

Slash sticks to his original structure most of the time, with some little changes here and there on one night, just to blow the hell out of them the other night. That's after 4 years of touring the same songs every 3 days.

42 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I really doubt you have ever seen live recordings of Guns in their prime. Slash was always sloppy, more so back in the day than today. He is a motherfucking rock n roll guitarist. He never was as accurate as Bucket and Bumble but that's not what it is about in a rock n roll band.

• Like 3