Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

40 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I heard you saying such things before snd my impression is you are pretty biased towards Slash. I don't know why. Maybe you are an Axl fanboy and you want to distract from his inability to sing certain songs probably. 

I really don't care.

Just one thing. Anyone who doesn't feel the feeling in Slash's guitar playing has no feeling left inside in himself. 

Slash sticks to his original structure most of the time, with some little changes here and there on one night, just to blow the hell out of them the other night. That's after 4 years of touring the same songs every 3 days.

Not even close to my feelings, man.

I would never discredit Slash in orden to defend Axl (and defend from what?!?!)

I just express what I feel. Im a GnR fan, not only an Axl fan but also a Slash one.

Axl wont ever sing again like he used to.

And I havent seen any recent Slash performance where he could create in me what he still does in studio or what he did in the 90’s. My favorite Slash is the one playing DTJ from the illusion era (Paris 92 being my favorite) or the Godfather from that same show; or his smooth intro to KOHD; his live Nightrains (Tokyo 92, Argentina 92/93, Civil War impro in Chile 1992 when the crowd was throwing shit). That Slash for me is the best any guitar has ever sounded and played to my ears.

Now Im not feeling it when watching his live performances.

It may be just me, but Im just expressing myself...dont you think I would prefer to still love his live art???? Trust me, I would

Hes always been sloppy, but now speed replaced melody IN MY OPINION way too far

Edited by Alejandro GNR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Anyone who doesn't feel the feeling in Slash's guitar playing has no feeling left inside in himself. 

Yes

2 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I’ve seen plenty of Slashs fails in SMKC. I remember some versions of Wicked Stone that just werent going nowhere, fails in Great Pretender, even TOYLIG which seem to be simple solos....

I dont know, Slash seems to play that way now and its fine, he’s Slash, we love him.

I just prefer his older style which he still has in studio.

So what you really mean is his playing style just doesn't suit you anymore. That's quite a different thing than his playing is sloppy with Frank vs with Fortus.

I really doubt you have ever seen live recordings of Guns in their prime. Slash was always sloppy, more so back in the day than today. He is a motherfucking rock n roll guitarist. He never was as accurate as Bucket and Bumble but that's not what it is about in a rock n roll band.

Yes, he's way more precise now but he can still play with a loose feel. A lot of that has to do with sobriety.

• Like 1

I really doubt you have ever seen live recordings of Guns in their prime. Slash was always sloppy, more so back in the day than today. He is a motherfucking rock n roll guitarist. He never was as accurate as Bucket and Bumble but that's not what it is about in a rock n roll band.

Then you just contradicted what you said earlier regarding "Fortus bringing out Slash's best"
Slash has wanted to play with Fortus ever since his solo tour. As far as Slash not saying negative about a current bandmate, learn from how he describe Frank Ferrer. He has a lot of great stuff to say about Fortus and he didn't gave him the "yeah he's great too" treatment.

49 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Ok this is a fucking stupid accusation, How can I be a GNR fan and not see videos of them in their 'prime'"

Congrats on discrediting yourself.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. But to yours: 

Why can't I compare two rnr bands? They are playing even the same songs at times? 

9 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

Then you just contradicted what you said earlier regarding "Fortus bringing out Slash's best"
Slash has wanted to play with Fortus ever since his solo tour. As far as Slash not saying negative about a current bandmate, learn from how he describe Frank Ferrer. He has a lot of great stuff to say about Fortus and he didn't gave him the "yeah he's great too" treatment.

Where did I contradict myself? In saying he isn't as sloppy now as he was? :awesomeface:

I said that, but that has nothing to do with Fortus. Are you kidding me?

Back in the day Slash was drinking more Booze than I'm drinking water on a hot sommer day.

That's the reason. Not Fortus

2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Where did I contradict myself? In saying he isn't as sloppy now as he was? :awesomeface:

I said that, but that has nothing to do with Fortus. Are you kidding me?

Back in the day Slash was drinking more Booze than I'm drinking water on a hot sommer day.

That's the reason. Not Fortus

Point taken. On the contrary, I actually think booze and drugs made Slash more killer during those days. The only sloppiness I saw was Jungle intro St. Louis '91 and it wasn't even his fault. But I guess he can't remember that those were his actual best playing days due to the drugs and booze. For that I'd like to pick a vowel and I'd like to change my answer from earlier. Drugs and booze brought out Slash's best not Fortus. :awesomeface:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

Point taken. On the contrary, I actually think booze and drugs made Slash more killer during those days. The only sloppiness I saw was Jungle intro St. Louis '91 and it wasn't even his fault. But I guess he can't remember that those were his actual best playing days due to the drugs and booze. For that I'd like to pick a vowel and I'd like to change my answer from earlier. Drugs and booze brought out Slash's best not Fortus. :awesomeface:

I mostly agree with that but it's still the definition of "the best". He played more passionate back than and more accurate today. What do you prefer. I'm with you, the young Slash remains untouchable for me. But I disagree when some here say that he's just noodling and he doesn't stick to the structure of the original solos in comparision to back in the day. That's just not true and it has nothing to do with opinions. There were always times where he changed things up at one night and sticked to the original in the second. He did that always to a certain degree and that didn't change. Watching the live series there is only Attitude where he's JUST noodling and maybe during the talk box solo in RQ. Everything else he's playing with feel and emotion and as accurate (or inaccurate) as ever.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I mostly agree with that but it's still the definition of "the best". He played more passionate back than and more accurate today. What do you prefer. I'm with you, the young Slash remains untouchable for me. But I disagree when some here say that he's just noodling and he doesn't stick to the structure of the original solos in comparision to back in the day. That's just not true and it has nothing to do with opinions. There were always times where he changed things up at one night and sticked to the original in the second. He did that always to a certain degree and that didn't change. Watching the live series there is only Attitude where he's JUST noodling and maybe during the talk box solo in RQ. Everything else he's playing with feel and emotion and as accurate (or inaccurate) as ever.

In Slash's defense (when it comes to "noodling"), which he also does during the long sing-a-long in KOHD. Can we blame him? That section of the song must just be dropped, even I would probably start playing that way if I had to wait that long. They should just play it like they did in '88. I must say yes to the accuracy, but the passion is still there especially during Estranged(even though he altered the 2nd to the last solo a bit) the live feels of his guitar parts in that song still give me the chills I felt when I first heard it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

Just to add something.

We're talking about sloppiness on a very high level. The Jungle intro wasn't Slash's fault but the whole show in St. Louis was kind of sloppy. The Ritz show '88, my favorite GNR show, is sloppy as hell. This rawness and this sloppiness, the energy, these were the things that made Guns superior to today's Guns. These znd Axl's voice of course and Frank, and.... :P

5 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

In Slash's defense (when it comes to "noodling"), which he also does during the long sing-a-long in KOHD. Can we blame him? That section of the song must just be dropped, even I would probably start playing that way if I had to wait that long. They should just play it like they did in '88. I must say yes to the accuracy, but the passion is still there especially during Estranged(even though he altered the 2nd to the last solo a bit) the live feels of his guitar parts in that song still give me the chills I felt when I first heard it. 

Exactly what I'm saying. He was more passionate back in the day but he's still more feeling and passion than most other guitatists out there. 

• Like 1

Just to add something.

We're talking about sloppiness on a very high level. The Jungle intro wasn't Slash's fault but the whole show in St. Louis was kind of sloppy. The Ritz show '88, my favorite GNR show, is sloppy as hell. This rawness and this sloppiness, the energy, these were the things that made Guns superior to today's Guns. These znd Axl's voice of course and Frank, and.... :P

I don't know I kinda like Slash's parts from St. Louis, especially on Patience. Axl can sound great again, hell he can bring his ac/dc voice if he wants to. The key is release a new record and tour it with a shorter(1:30 to 2hr max) set. 

Exactly what I'm saying. He was more passionate back in the day but he's still more feeling and passion than most other guitatists out there. 

Absolutely, I mean he carries 80-90% of the shows. 

8 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

I don't know I kinda like Slash's parts from St. Louis, especially on Patience. Axl can sound great again, hell he can bring his ac/dc voice if he wants to. The key is release a new record and tour it with a shorter(1:30 to 2hr max) set. 

Absolutely, I mean he carries 80-90% of the shows. 

Considering the back catalogue gnr have, id feel ripped off with a 1.5 hour show irrespective as to how much tickets would be. GNR show should be 2 to 2.5. Include one cover only  if it makes the band enjoy the show more and redo the setlist removing VR songs, TIL, shorten KOHD, shorten RQ and make it sound likeon AFD,  and include more lower register songs.

15 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Considering the back catalogue gnr have, id feel ripped off with a 1.5 hour show irrespective as to how much tickets would be. GNR show should be 2 to 2.5. Include one cover only  if it makes the band enjoy the show more and redo the setlist removing VR songs, TIL, shorten KOHD, shorten RQ and make it sound likeon AFD,  and include more lower register songs.

I'd take a short set with a great vocal performance over a long one with mickey. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoForJMark said:

I'd take a short set with a great vocal performance over a long one with mickey. 

Well i woukd like to think a 2 to 2.5 could be acheived with minimal to no mickey 🤷‍♂️. Even if he has to do what he did in 2011 and stay in one position all nite.

Edited by Sydney Fan

1 hour ago, GoForJMark said:

If there's a guarantee that a shorter set would imply great vocals, than I would tend to a shorter set, too. But if the length of their shows isn't the reason for Axl's weakness then give me a 3 to 4 hour set. 

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I wouldn't mind them doing some more VR or Slash songs considering the amount of CD songs they did. But yeah... shorten KOHD and RQ, and stop playing to much covers.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Well i woukd like to think a 2 to 2.5 could be acheived with minimal to no mickey 🤷‍♂️. Even if he has to do what he did in 2011 and stay in one position all nite.

Well if and only if a new record came out is where the scenario of a shortened set I would like to see. Maybe keep jungle/scom/nightrain/pc/nr/estranged/lald/uyi2 rotating deepcuts/rotating cd songs and the entirety of a still non-existing new record. 

11 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

Well if and only if a new record came out is where the scenario of a shortened set I would like to see. Maybe keep jungle/scom/nightrain/pc/nr/estranged/lald/uyi2 rotating deepcuts/rotating cd songs and the entirety of a still non-existing new record. 

Id be happy to not hear scom but thats just me but its an excuse to go and get a beer. Would like to see OTGM make an appsarance because it seems to raise the energy but agree with the deepcuts.

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Id be happy to not hear scom but thats just me but its an excuse to go and get a beer. Would like to see OTGM make an appsarance because it seems to raise the energy but agree with the deepcuts.

Well if they can write a new song that raises the energy every time they play it we will only need OTGM every once in a while. God we're bored the fuck out aren't we. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yes

So what you really mean is his playing style just doesn't suit you anymore. That's quite a different thing than his playing is sloppy with Frank vs with Fortus.

Yes, he's way more precise now but he can still play with a loose feel. A lot of that has to do with sobriety.

Well, he couldnt replicate Dead Horse, Yesterdays and YCBM solos as he inventwd them and he erased their melody in his actual performances; so that for me is something not that appealing...

And im not even talking about the Chinese songs being butchered (for the exception of Chinese Dem the song)
So yes, I dont like his new take on some songs and believe this new style isnt on the level of his past performances

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Well, he couldnt replicate Dead Horse, Yesterdays and YCBM solos as he inventwd them and he erased their melody in his actual performances; so that for me is something not that appealing...

And im not even talking about the Chinese songs being butchered (for the exception of Chinese Dem the song)
So yes, I dont like his new take on some songs and believe this new style isnt on the level of his past performances

He could play Dead Horse, Yesterdays, and YCBM note for note if he chose too, but he's always left a little room for improvisation in his solos. I think he plays them differently each time now to make it interesting for himself.

32 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

He could play Dead Horse, Yesterdays, and YCBM note for note if he chose too, but he's always left a little room for improvisation in his solos. I think he plays them differently each time now to make it interesting for himself.

But it doesn't work very well. He can improvise as much as he feels like, but a lot of times his playing sounds disconnected from the song/ band. He's running his scales and licks but it makes no sense in the context of the song.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Of course he could...he created them.

Thats exactly what Im saying...his impros back then where wayyyy more melodic IN MY OPINION.

Patience solos 91-92 were GREAT, his KOHD were flawless.

I havent seen a proper KOHD solo from Slash during the NITL...same for his Wish You Were Here...

He even fails during Layla which usually sound horrendous

I insist it may be just me, but thats how I feel.

And I LOVEEEEEEEEE Slash.

Edited by Alejandro GNR