Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

10 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

How are we complaining about Slash after we had Ashba's bends, or Paul Tobias and whatever he was doing on Rocket Queen in 2001.

People here like to complain.

52 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Is there any member who hasn't been complained about here? Maybe Dizzy? Rob Gardner and Ole Beich? 

Pretty sure they have all been bitched about. 

Dizzy got slammed for a video with Axl and BBF on an Australian news channel. Axl goes to speak and dizzy interupts with some shit story. 

The old guys were bitched about when the rapidfire demos were released. Oh and Hollywood Rose: The roots of Guns n roses was released. 

34 minutes ago, Axlr0s37 said:

Pretty sure they have all been bitched about. 

Dizzy got slammed for a video with Axl and BBF on an Australian news channel. Axl goes to speak and dizzy interupts with some shit story. 

The old guys were bitched about when the rapidfire demos were released. Oh and Hollywood Rose: The roots of Guns n roses was released. 

I’m pretty sure people have even complained about Axl’s cat. It’s gained weight over the years you know, and it’s hair became more grey. That fucking cat...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, El Guapo said:

But it doesn't work very well. He can improvise as much as he feels like, but a lot of times his playing sounds disconnected from the song/ band. He's running his scales and licks but it makes no sense in the context of the song.

Yeah, it's funny isn't it? It's a bit like Slash isn't aware of his own limitations (every musician has them and part of being a great musician is playing to your strengths and recognising your weaknesses). 

I love Slash as a riff writer, and his lead work 1987-2010 was always on point. But these days he's more interested in showing off his speed, usually at the expense of the song itself. The fans defending Slash's wankery on NITL are the same ones who bitched at Bumblefoot's guitar shredding on Catcher In The Rye. At least Ron has the technical prowess to show off in that way, and whilst it may not be to everyone's tastes, he usually does so in a melodic way that serves the song. Slash is simply not that kind of player, never has been and it feels a little as if he's trying to be something he's not these days.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, it's funny isn't it? It's a bit like Slash isn't aware of his own limitations (every musician has them and part of being a great musician is playing to your strengths and recognising your weaknesses). 

I love Slash as a riff writer, and his lead work 1987-2010 was always on point. But these days he's more interested in showing off his speed, usually at the expense of the song itself. The fans defending Slash's wankery on NITL are the same ones who bitched at Bumblefoot's guitar shredding on Catcher In The Rye. At least Ron has the technical prowess to show off in that way, and whilst it may not be to everyone's tastes, he usually does so in a melodic way that serves the song. Slash is simply not that kind of player, never has been and it feels a little as if he's trying to be something he's not these days.

Maybe its because Bumble, Bucket and Fortus are all technically better than him and he feels like he has to keep up with that?

• Like 1

Slash has always and will always be Guns N Roses' rightful guitar player but that Yesterday's solo is not great. I don't have an issue with his reunion playing, overall, it's especially show stealing in person, but he can over play. Yesterday's, Sorry, and Catcher are good examples of it

9 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Slash has always and will always be Guns N Roses' rightful guitar player but that Yesterday's solo is not great. I don't have an issue with his reunion playing, overall, it's especially show stealing in person, but he can over play. Yesterday's, Sorry, and Catcher are good examples of it

I was so disappointed with how he played TIL. I would love to have seen him actually put some effort into that solo. There was that one show in 2016, Atlanta, I think, where he played it beautifully but other than that...

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, El Guapo said:

But it doesn't work very well. He can improvise as much as he feels like, but a lot of times his playing sounds disconnected from the song/ band. He's running his scales and licks but it makes no sense in the context of the song.

It may not work very well for you.

I think it makes perfect sense 95% of the time.

I haven't heard him play Yesterday properly since the reunion, though. 

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

Well, seems it wasnt just me who felt this way!!!

Agree on everything my friend!

2 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Well, seems it wasnt just me who felt this way!!!

Agree on everything my friend!

I also agree with every word and feel exactly the same. It's been a while since slash impressed me and he used to do it quite easily. I remember going to the SMKC concert last year or so and taking the longest breaks to get drinks or go to the bathroom when he did the long solos because it was so boring. And i play guitar and started playing because of him. Never though this would come. I still like the guy and he's a beast. But too many notes per second. 

6 hours ago, Towelie said:

C'mon Towelie, don't discredit yourself. Bumbles shredding is a totally different one than Slash's. It's more than reasonable to prefer one style over the other. 

Another myth is that Slash isn't able to play with speed. He's not tapping but most of his solos include fast runs in a more classic way.

Bumble has not and will never write a solo as good as Slash's Nightrain outro. Are you kidding me? That's not a fast one? The Paradise City solo? The Garden, Back Off Bitch, Don't Damn Me? Anastasia studio recording? Anastasia live!? Nothing To Say, Crucify The Dead, Soma City Ward, Halo? I could go on and on and name easily 100 great solos of him that were played fast. 

I don't get why people spread myths like that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

C'mon Towelie, don't discredit yourself. Bumbles shredding is a totally different one than Slash's. It's more than reasonable to prefer one style over the other. 

Another myth is that Slash isn't able to play with speed. He's not tapping but most of his solos include fast runs in a more classic way.

Bumble has not and will never write a solo as good as Slash's Nightrain outro. Are you kidding me? That's not a fast one? The Paradise City solo? The Garden, Back Off Bitch, Don't Damn Me? Anastasia studio recording? Anastasia live!? Nothing To Say, Crucify The Dead, Soma City Ward, Halo? I could go on and on and name easily 100 great solos of him that were played fast. 

I don't get why people spread myths like that.

The fast stuff he did was legato mainly, now he does a lot of fast picking which is more shredder style like Bumble, Bucket, Paul Gilbert, etc.

19 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

The fast stuff he did was legato mainly, now he does a lot of fast picking which is more shredder style like Bumble, Bucket, Paul Gilbert, etc.

Totally different style than Bumble, Bucket and the other virtuosos.

Slash couldnt even dream of playing technically as Buckethead or even Bumblefoot...

He doesnt need to though...he acomplished much more than those with a few guitar tricks and thats what makes him special. His music has always been driven by melody mainly...

Of couse he can play some scales fast enough but speed never has been his trademark or his strength

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

That's the point. He tries to compete with styles very different from his natural style, which was way cooler and unique. Or he just lost "it" along the way.

I would say he somehow lost it LIVE...

His studio versions of songs stick to his trademark playing and I still love his work

Maybe Slash is trying to expand  his horizon. He’s always studying and trying to  be a better more rounded player. 

Maybe he will successfully expand his skills and re-invent himself. That would really be something. If he could shred like with best shredders and not losing his superior melodic style. 

He’s got a long way to go that’s for sure. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One