KICKASS VIDEOS From 2009 Seoul show

stone

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really a fantastic performance. Everyone was great, but I still have to highlight Bumblefoot. He kicked ass during the second part of the solo. One of the best live renditions I've ever seen (or heard) of that solo. Certainly a lot better than what Finck used to do. And DJ seems to have a great stage presence. That helps a lot.

Hopefully we'll have more shows of this quality for the rest of the tour.

Can't we just leave old Guns N' Roses out of it?

All that needs to be said is so far this is looking up to be the best new Guns N' Roses have ever sounded. rock1

On the contrary I find it interesting that fans say wether they prefer the old guns versions or this one. Personnally, apart from the ritz and some rare other old lives, I have never heard a version of sweet child o' mine that is as good as this one, both vocally and on guitar. Ashba fucking owns and I find it very amusing to see people praising Ashba over Slash as opposed to people who were shitting on the band because Slash wasn't in it. He may have written Sweet child with Axl but truth, he doesn't play it good nowadays and Ashba & Bumblefoot honor this song a lot better than he most of the times did (drugs abuse of course, but I think that overall Ashba & Bumblefoot are better player technically speaking).

Edited by D..

Can't we just leave old Guns N' Roses out of it?

All that needs to be said is so far this is looking up to be the best new Guns N' Roses have ever sounded. rock1

On the contrary I find it interesting that fans say wether they prefer the old guns versions or this one. Personnally, apart from the ritz and some rare other old lives, I have never heard a version of sweet child o' mine that is as good as this one, both vocally and on guitar. Ashba fucking owns and I find it very amusing to see people praising Ashba over Slash as opposed to people who were shitting on the band because Slash wasn't in it. He may have written Sweet child with Axl but truth, he doesn't play it good nowadays and Ashba & Bumblefoot honor this song a lot better than he most of the times did (drugs abuse of course, but I think that overall Ashba & Bumblefoot are better player technically speaking).

You are so wrong my friend, and also so pointlessly aggresive towards Slash.

Youve seen one or two concerts with DJ Ashba in guns n roses and you think he is more suited to GNR sound than Slash.

I honestly give up. Cool, DJ Ashba plays GNR songs better than slash. Whatever. A few years ago that would have annoyed the fuck out of me but I cant be bothered anymore.

You are so wrong my friend, and also so pointlessly aggresive towards Slash.

Youve seen one or two concerts with DJ Ashba in guns n roses and you think he is more suited to GNR sound than Slash.

I honestly give up. Cool, DJ Ashba plays GNR songs better than slash. Whatever. A few years ago that would have annoyed the fuck out of me but I cant be bothered anymore.

Well DJ Ashba on his first two shows proved me he was ace. He can only get better.

Compare this version of sweet child to this one:

Argentina, 93. Slash was an awesome player don't get me wrong and on this version he owns the song, but it happened to him under certain circumstances to not play very well (especially jungle, i don't remember what shows), and nowadays he's really lost it imo, but maybe he doesn't train enough (don't tell me he did justice to sweet child on his last lives with ferggie). I'd call it a tie, Slash has different techniques than Ashba & Bumblefoot, but Ashba does it for me, he suits guns perfectly, he has the style and attitude in addition to his awesome skills, he wants to play, look at Slash in 93, it's like he doesn't give a fuck.

It's really a fantastic performance. Everyone was great, but I still have to highlight Bumblefoot. He kicked ass during the second part of the solo. One of the best live renditions I've ever seen (or heard) of that solo.

Finally someone noticed that! Bumblefoot plays the best part of the solo and he fucking owns it.

Ashba can certainly play Slash's stuff, no problem. But then again, so can about a million guitarists in the world. Just have a look on You Tube. As a guitarist myself, and somebody who was at the Seoul concert, I can tell you quite clearly that Ashba is a more textbook guitarist than Slash. If they both had a piece of music to learn, I am sure Ashba would easily nail it before Slash. Slash is a very loose player sometimes, and live he can miss quite a lot of notes.

But this is not the point. Its not so much about how you play actually, but more about the riffs and melodies that you can create. Replaying someone elses music is infinitely easier than writing it from scratch as Slash did. Some of the technically best guitarists in the world, have never even played on a stage. The reason being, they are literally just 'tab players' who can only copy other people's music. Ashba plays each of Slash's solos note for note, he doesn't add anything different. The same does not apply to Fortus or Bumble, who have both added their own style to the music. The fact that Ashba faithfully follows Slash's sound is a good thing, I enjoyed the concert even more. You cannot improve on perfection. I didn't like it when Finck used to mess around with the solo's, it just did not seem right. For the new music, the guys can do what they like with it, as it is theirs. But they should play the old stuff as it was meant to be. As a live show, I hope Fortus and Bumble can follow the original sound more, but I guess they are both creative artists, so its just not possible.

So in a nutshell, Ashba is a great guitarist, and suits the band. But the fact remains, that he only sounds great as he is playing Slash's music. Having heard Ashba's own style with Sixx AM, I think his sound is far too basic for GNR. But as a touring guitarist playing other peoples music, he is perfect.

I knew Ashba would play great in Guns N' Roses, even his "Sorry" solo was great ( not as good as Buckethead, but he played it really good). I think that Axl has found not only great live players but also guys who are great songwriters, Fortus is great songwriter, Bumble has many solo albums to his credit etc but Ashba could be the guy who will glue it together as he is more into that kind of modern hard rock music ( he co-wrote SOLA by Motley Crue and Sixx:A.M record) and Bumble and Fortus are also great rock guitar players. I think what lacked between Finck, Buckethead and Tobias/Fortus was lack of similiar music background. I am still suprised how many guitars Bumble add to Chinese Democracy ( rythm parts in CD, a lot in Shackler's Revenge, all those fills and mini solos in Sorry, I.R.S rythm, rythm parts in Better) and maybe with Ashba and Fortus they will be able to produce more music faster. It would be shame if they didn't as Axl is on the top of his game considering vocals and still has something to prove...