The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

Has anyone seen that Faith No More and The Refused are touring together? That's a pretty wild bill

Personally I'm curious as to if the fanbases will get along and like the other band's music. I'm picturing dudes with beards in Bane hoodies shaking their heads at FNM when they do something weird like cover Crowded House, and then I'm also picturing 90s alt guy groaning when the Refused come out. Maybe I'm wrong. Both fanbases have been starving to see their bands. I'm heading to see FNM on their own in Toronto in May but I'm highly considering going back up in August for the FNM/Refused show

Megadeth is a good band, but highly over rated

That honor has always belonged to Slayer :lol:

I'm guessing after testing the waters with Menza with performing and him doing some drum stems for future tracks, Mustaine wasn't happy with it and lowballed him. Most surprising part of the news was Friedman also being involved, since most everyone assumed he was totally done with associating himself with the band.

At least the new album isn't being rushed like Turd Collider was

The thing I'm most pissed about is Broderick leaving, I never really thought Drover was anything special, reliable and he did write some of Headcrusher, Broderick was stunning though, could play absolutely everything, wish he got to start writing more. This guy from that Brazilian band I've never heard of. Wonder who the long-term drummer will be, Adler is an amazing drummer, Hourglass is my fave lamb of god song but I doubt he can commit for touring.

That new Slayer song is absolute crap, When The Stillness Comes... Kerry has lost the plot for a long time. Starts off with a nice gloomy picking almost Spill The Blood type stuff, thought this could be an interesting one, then into the tired old Araya nonsensical, banal barking (yeah Slayer's lyrics never been notable but the last few albums are really ridiculous) and by the numbers. Now Slayer are known to dislike mixing things up but there used to be enough quality and curveballs... Christ Illusion had 4-5 decent tracks, same with World Painted Blood but the other two thirds were forgettable, I have no idea if there'll even be a handful on this one. Implode was pants as well. Can't even say 'but it's better metulz than 90% of other bands even at their worst!' cause it isn't.

Unlike Megadeth and Metallica, Slayer have not even come close to reaching a respectable second peak in their later years.

Edited by RandallFlagg

That new Slayer song is absolute crap, When The Stillness Comes... Kerry has lost the plot for a long time. Starts off with a nice gloomy picking almost Spill The Blood type stuff, thought this could be an interesting one, then into the tired old Araya nonsensical, banal barking (yeah Slayer's lyrics never been notable but the last few albums are really ridiculous) and by the numbers. Now Slayer are known to dislike mixing things up but there used to be enough quality and curveballs... Christ Illusion had 4-5 decent tracks, same with World Painted Blood but the other two thirds were forgettable, I have no idea if there'll even be a handful on this one. Implode was pants as well. Can't even say 'but it's better metulz than 90% of other bands even at their worst!' cause it isn't.

Unlike Megadeth and Metallica, Slayer have not even come close to reaching a respectable second peak in their later years.

you can throw anthrax in their with megadeth as well, worship music was quite good. it just seems like slayer is going through the motions at this point, more of a brand than a creative entity. not allowing holt to bring some riffs and other ideas to the album is borderline criminal.

• Like 1

Same exact reaction I had, promising intro, and then all downhill from there. Really disappointing.

Same exact reaction I had, promising intro, and then all downhill from there. Really disappointing.

You just think, take a few hours Kerry and Tom... do something off the autopilot. I refuse to believe they are out of ideas, just know they'll get decent sales and touring off reputation alone. I saw them in 2008 and they were sublime but the quality has dropped right off even in live shows since then.

you can throw anthrax in their with megadeth as well, worship music was quite good. it just seems like slayer is going through the motions at this point, more of a brand than a creative entity. not allowing holt to bring some riffs and other ideas to the album is borderline criminal.

I know, surely if you add someone the caliber of Holt and Bostaph, if your ideas aren't too hot, let the guys whose enthusiasm for being in fucking SLAYER inspire you... I don't know how they thought Implode and this were decent tracks to release, I have no idea how any true fan of the band accept them.

It could be argued that, relatively speaking, Anthrax has had the best comeback of any of the thrash bands. Worship Music was unanimously praised, and the band went from a revolving door of singers and "reunion" tours in tiny clubs to being second billed on major festivals and headlining killer triple-bill tours in large theaters in the span of 5 years.

Anthrax are the comeback kids of the Big 4, that's for sure. Very curious about this new album, even if their Game of Thrones song wasn't all that special.

Seeing most of the Big 4 continuously putting out mediocre stuff just makes me appreciate a band like Testament that much more.

• Like 1

abbath signs with season of mist will do festivals this summer and will release new album in early 2016.

new band lineup

abbath- vocals/guitars

king ov hell(ex gorgoroth)-bass

baard kolstad(borknagar)- drums

Been on a discover new (to me) metal binge over the past few weeks, some highlights:

Steelwing: great newer band, NWOBHM style

Skull Fist: same deal as SW

Hatchet: also newer, thrash

Bloodbound: just awesome, not sure what the right for the style is other than "metal," they're sort of power metally, but there's a decent amount of hard rock in there too

Blazon Stone: basically Running Wild 2.0, great "pirate" metal, as I call it :lol:

and last, but not least, the new Armored Saint is fucking awesome:

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

Cradle of Filth's new album comes out July 17 and they just released the first song from it, 'Right Wing of the Garden Triptych'. To be honest my interest in COF died after the last album they put out, I liked DDVA but otherwise the last few albums have sucked. However, this song was surprisingly good. My interest in the new album has been renewed.

High on Fire's new song shreds: http://www.metalinjection.net/av/high-on-fires-new-track-the-black-plot-delivers-in-the-way-only-high-on-fire-know-how-to-deliver

Good to see sobering up hasn't slowed Matt Pike's fire at all. Looking forward to more HoF!

And apparently Sleep may release a new album. Just saw Sleep in denver a few weeks ago. Damn good show, but you need to be in the right mood for Sleep. (Mood = baked)