The Official Metal Thread

LightningBolt

I'm thinking about Amon Amarth. What album should I start with? Do they differ much? Best album?

They do not differ much at all honestly. I would do Twilight of the Thunder God first personally.

Any Lamb of God fans here? new track Still Echoes is definitely cool. LoG certainly dont change much album to album, but man when you are in the mood they are still awesome. The lyrics on the new album should be very interesting given Randy's whole ordeal in the Czech Republic

Thanks, I'll check TotTG!

I'd say I'm a casual LoG fan. I got Sacrament on CD and love it but haven't listened to much else except for a couple of songs. That new song was great. As you said, when you're in the mood for them, they're pretty awesome and I'm in that mood right now. :P

• Like 1

I'm thinking about Amon Amarth. What album should I start with? Do they differ much? Best album?

they really dont differ all that much they have a sound and stick to it for the most part, although on their latest album they introduce clean vocals for the first time on the song "hel" provided by messiah marcolin from candlemass. to me the go to album to get into them and its usually regarded as their best is "with oden on our side" the album is full of catchy choruses, good riffs and some great vocals.

• Like 1

There was a debate on telly the other night about unemployment and the fact that there were 'x' million unemployed in the country and i got to thinking, if you just like...sent all the metallers in the country on a boat heading for an iceberg in the Bermuda Triangle it'd do the unemployment statistics, and conversely the economy and by extension nation morale the power of good.

To condense that down, don't you think the indiscriminate murder of metallers would be good for society? :lol: I mean like, it'd just solve so many problems, you could get all the serial killers in incarceration out (so its sort of a humanitarian mission if you think about it!) and go to em 'look, go mad right, do what you like, by try to confine yourself to people that own an album by Megadeth or Metallica or Black Sabbath'.

See how it all comes together? :D

There was a debate on telly the other night about unemployment and the fact that there were 'x' million unemployed in the country and i got to thinking, if you just like...sent all the metallers in the country on a boat heading for an iceberg in the Bermuda Triangle it'd do the unemployment statistics, and conversely the economy and by extension nation morale the power of good.

To condense that down, don't you think the indiscriminate murder of metallers would be good for society? :lol: I mean like, it'd just solve so many problems, you could get all the serial killers in incarceration out (so its sort of a humanitarian mission if you think about it!) and go to em 'look, go mad right, do what you like, by try to confine yourself to people that own an album by Megadeth or Metallica or Black Sabbath'.

See how it all comes together? :D

:lol:

Digging the new ghost stuff a lot. Heavy for them.

Two big pieces of metal out this week:

1) New High On Fire, and it crushes. It's produced by Kurt Ballou of Converge, so no wonder it's the best sounding HoF record yet. Matt like admitted in a recent interview that he believes aliens are among us and 9/11 was an inside job, so that's a fun thing to consider when listening

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/07/412028493/first-listen-high-on-fire-luminiferous

2) new Lamb of God track. Heavy as fuck. Like it much better than th other tune from the new record. Clearly inspired by Randy's prison time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm looking for more bands with this sound or similar.

man woods of desolation are awesome, i had the album cover to "as the stars" as my signature for a little while. the band that gets lumped with them the most is austere. austere are another great band that unfortunately broke up 5 years ago, they made 2 albums an EP and i think 2 splits(IIRC)

another band to check out is skyforest.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

swallow the sun will release "songs from the north I,II,III a triple album in november. kind of ballsy move and one that im really looking forward to. the first album will be with the classic swallow the sun sound. the second album will be acoustic and ambient. the third album will be a funeral doom album. definitely excited since swallow the sun are one of my favorite bands and i really like how ambitious they are*.

*note to gnr and wintersun

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/swallow-the-sun-to-release-triple-album-songs-from-the-north-i-ii-iii-in-november/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Slayer's new album, what a disgrace, I don't know how many more times Kerry King can repeat the same lyrics and the same riffs... embarrassing. It has about three okay songs and one good one, which is the title track but otherwise they're just in parody territory here, World Painted Blood (they come up with some redundant titles) was alright, it had more okay songs than this and a few good ones aka Psychopathy Red, Unit 731 and Public Display of Dismemberment. Kerry used to be a respectable composer, heck listen to Spirit in Black, Skeletons of Society, Dittohead, Supremist and Altar of Sacrifice, they should've just quit after the last record, there's nothing to carry on for apart from weak rehashes and no sense of identity. I don't subscribe to the ''slayer's best work was Hanneman'' because Kerry used to be quite creative... but they definitely lost a massive cog of what made them interesting with Hanneman's death, Holt is given little input clearly, Lombardo was also an absolute beast on the kit, Bostaph is no slouch but he doesn't really experiment too much.

Edited by RandallFlagg

• 1 month later...