Why won't my whammy bar work properly?

I ended up taking my whammy bar off my Fender Strat because it just seems useless. I can bend it down to lower the pitch but I can't pull it up to do a divebomb or anything like that. I've tried loosening it a little but that doesn't make a difference.

Does anybody know what could be wrong?

I ended up taking my whammy bar off my Fender Strat because it just seems useless. I can bend it down to lower the pitch but I can't pull it up to do a divebomb or anything like that. I've tried loosening it a little but that doesn't make a difference.

take it to a shop to be set up.if u cant pull up on it then all the springs need adjustment at the back and the action and intonation resetting

Fenders aren't made for divebombing and heavy abuse anyway. If you want that, id say go with an ibenez. Part of the problem is that you may need extra distortion.

But on a fender = pretty usless unless you play alot of hendrix-esque material.

Fenders aren't made for divebombing and heavy abuse anyway. If you want that, id say go with an ibenez. Part of the problem is that you may need extra distortion.

But it's not impossible to do it on a fender is it? I can't afford another guitar and I really want to learn to do this on my Fender.

But it's not impossible to do it on a fender is it? I can't afford another guitar and I really want to learn to do this on my Fender.

you can only reallt set Fender trems to bend upwards of about a tone thats all like the man ^^^ says if u want more divebombing then u need a guitar with a floyd rose on it

There are two screws which are attached to a metal plate which have screws which attach to the tremolo block. Try lossening them, this will cause the back of the bridge to raise up allowing you to both push and pull the whammy bar, however it prevents you from going very far either way, it can also make your strings lose tension even more than usual. You could also try very slightly loosening the screws that attach the bridge to the body, however this also weakens the the strength on the bridge so if you overdo it you could snap the screws or even rip the front of the wood off.

Otherwise, get an ibanez or a raised tremolo system.

Floyd Roses are the only bridges good for dive bombing. However, you could get Fender's Floyd Rose, which does not have fine tuners, and must be used with locking tuners. It's the setup that Jeff Beck uses. At least get some Sperzel locking tuners. You could probably get them on ebay for 50 bucks or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Fenders are notorious for going out of tune using a trem bar. A rhythm guitar player in my old band had one on his and it was just fucking crap.

You need to make sure you also have a Floyd Rose unit if you want real trem action going on. I think I would rather use a whammy pedal.

Guitars like Ibanez, BC Rich etc, make good trem guitars.

Edited by zepsun