Alan Niven, "I cannot digest is that he states that he is Guns N' Roses because on his own – he is not.”

SunnyDRE

So, a guy who was fired as manager of the band essentially because of Axl is against Axl calling the band Guns N' Roses. Gee, no hard feelings there or anything.

He's got every right to feel that way, I'm simply don't agree.

Also, to say that Tommy is supposed to look like Duff, that's crap. Not even close. For that matter, Tommy has been in the band since 1998. That's 12 years! It's not like Axl went out and hired a bunch of lookalikes to put on a tour this summer, which is kind of how Alan is making it sound. Who's Ron supposed to look like? DJ looks nothing like Slash other than wearing a hat which he had before joining this band, and wait - where was Alan when Finck and Buckethead, who looked nothing like anyone, were in the band? The only real physical comparison is Richard, and Axl was very upfront about that. Plus, stage moves??? Wtf? I don't recall Slash climbing shit in the past.

It's a lame argument.

Even his argument about Weiland is a bit lame. Weiland is a perfectly good songwriter when it comes to lyrics, I have no idea why he would question that (I do agree about the drugs though).

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl wrote all of the lyrics on Chinese Democracy. Does that mean Buckethead is a terrible songwriter? It's all relative to how you define songwriting. If we're talking about lyrics, obviously Slash wasn't as imaginative as Axl or Izzy — but melody is equally important to the process. There's a reason why a band like Guns N' Roses is known so much for the riffs and solos. Take Jungle as an example. It's an Axl/Slash song. Superb lyrics. Absolutely brilliant. Would you say the music wasn't important? Take away the intro, the main riff, the breakdown, the solo. It certainly wouldn't be the same song, would it? If it's a good band, the music should speak just as much as the singer sings. I think that's the case for most listeners..

The trouble with this argument is that certain individuals try to manipulate it to suit their agenda. Axl sympathizers want to believe Slash is incapable of writing a song because it's easier to accept his absence. "Slash can't write anymore, so who cares if he's not in GNR?" Slash sympathizers want to believe Axl has lost his talent because it's easier to accept Slash leading a separate career outside of Guns. "This I Love is fucking awful, thank god Slash isn't wasting his time."

It's all silly rhetoric by people of low level intelligence that at times I almost wish were fatal..

-Kickingthehabit

Guns N' Roses as far as I’m concerned played their last show on April 7th 1990 in Indianapolis which was the last show live show at Farm Aid that the original line-up played.

:( ah shit...I never saw Guns n Roses

At least he's got it right saying Slash couldn't pen a great song to save his life.

See Slash fans, Slash didnt do shit.

To be fair, no one else could have come up with those amazing solos of his.

Except for Buckethead or Bumblefoot or Guthrie Govan or any other guitarist that's more talented than he.

Negative. NO ONE would have come up with something better than the SCOM solo, or the NR solos, or the Estranged pieces, or Locomotive, or Coma.

BH is amazing, but we must give credit to Slash for writing to IZZY's songs.

Maybe to no one who actually knows music theory and knows how it works. Slash isnt a good musician nor guitarist. I hate to say it, he's fun, and he knows the basics, but GnR is better off without him.

lol, now i know you're full of BS........ keep posting, it makes for a laugh!!! :thumbsup:

Truth is the truth hurts.....don't you agree?

not debating wheter Slash is a "good musician or guitarrist"... but using "music theory" to rate him proves you know squad, about music theory

At least he's got it right saying Slash couldn't pen a great song to save his life.

See Slash fans, Slash didnt do shit.

To be fair, no one else could have come up with those amazing solos of his.

Except for Buckethead or Bumblefoot or Guthrie Govan or any other guitarist that's more talented than he.

Negative. NO ONE would have come up with something better than the SCOM solo, or the NR solos, or the Estranged pieces, or Locomotive, or Coma.

BH is amazing, but we must give credit to Slash for writing to IZZY's songs.

Maybe to no one who actually knows music theory and knows how it works. Slash isnt a good musician nor guitarist. I hate to say it, he's fun, and he knows the basics, but GnR is better off without him.

lol, now i know you're full of BS........ keep posting, it makes for a laugh!!! :thumbsup:

Truth is the truth hurts.....don't you agree?

not debating wheter Slash is a "good musician or guitarrist"... but using "music theory" to rate him proves you know squad, about music theory

Yes, yes FEED OFF THE HATE AND THE TRUTH!

Guns N' Roses as far as I’m concerned played their last show on April 7th 1990 in Indianapolis which was the last show live show at Farm Aid that the original line-up played.

:( ah shit...I never saw Guns n Roses

Yeah me either then. LOL Guns N' Roses has not died unlike Alan, lol.

Some wise words in this interview.

BUT:

Slash not a good songwriter?? Slash was as important as Izzy for Guns, Slash a bit more important for Appetite, Izzy more for the Illusions. That's according to the song credits.

Duff's solo album bad?? There are at least two or three excellent songs on this album:

And what about Wasted Heart?

I mean, did 'It's so easy' write itself? Enough people standing up for Slash, but gotta utter a word or two here for Duff!

Edited by Fun n' Games

I think the weakness in Velvet Revolver was the material and writing. In that respect, I was really nervous about Scott Weiland too. I’m not sure what he’s got to contribute as a writer…

I'm confused about this, is he still not sure after hearing what he's done with VR, Solo and STP? or was he just kinda diplomatically dissing SW's writing?

GNR WAS IZZY

Yes, Axl is the greatest front man of all time, but those songs...........were from IZZY. Without the songs....

IZZY was the pixie dust.....we can all write music......IZZY wrote classics.

this is why the down by the ocean song interests me since izzy cowrote it and the new guys most likely worked on it from what axl said

Agreed, can't wait to hear that, hope it sees the light of day!

the what?

Yes, yes FEED OFF THE HATE AND THE TRUTH!

come on dude, when has rock been about theory? What about Ashba? he's the same kind of player and he gets most of the solos on the live show for that very reason...

it's funny as he mentions it to rate Slash.......... i mean the main and most basic principle in music theory is to identify the pattern... Slash is oftend described as a great guitar player as he keeps his identity in whatever style he plays... so basicly his "pattern" is very well rated........ so wtf is all that about... yeah, you guessed, BS!! obviously he doesn't know what he's talking about

cd love, how's Johan Bach for "music theory"??? lol :thumbsup:

Edited by dario27

I think it is weird to claim that one guy was dramatically more important than any of the others, anyway. None of the albums from GNR, VR, Loaded, or solo were written by one person and one person alone. Axl didn't write Slash/Bucket/Robin's guitar parts. Izzy didn't write Duff's bass parts. Each guy provides their own style. That's just how bands work. Welcome To The Jungle couldn't have been written with Axl/Bucket/Robin/Fortus/Stinson/Brain anymore than Shackler's Revenge could have been written by Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff/Adler.

For as much as Izzy gets touted as the heart and soul of GNR, I don't think any of his solo stuff touches what he did in collaboration with Guns. Same for Slash. I really love quite a few songs from Sick, but I don't think Flatline is particularly better than most Guns songs, either. All the albums are a collaboration. Some work better than others.

Does "songwriter" strictly mean writing lyrics? I consider writing music, riffs and progressions, to be "songwriting" just as much as lyrics. Because Slash doesn't really write lyrics doesn't make him less of a songwriter. His guitar work is often just as important as the lyrics, or more in some songs. Buckethead has a breadth of songs, most without lyrics, but he's still a songwriter. Chinese Democracy isn't a solo Axl record. He collaborated with his group of guys for it just like he did with AFD and UYI. Slash's newest record isn't a real solo album. All the songs are collaborations. And on and on and on.

The VR stuff is interesting.

I do find the idea that he's trying to put across, that Axl has hired a group of look-a-likes to try and con people into thinking this is Guns N' Roses, to be deceitful in itself. Did he miss the years when GN'R featured Buckethead and Finck?

Was thinking the same thing. And saying Richard is like Izzy. Yep, I remember the good old days of Izzy spinning around across stage, banging his guitar like he's trying to kill it. And, they both have black hair!

I do find the idea that he's trying to put across, that Axl has hired a group of look-a-likes to try and con people into thinking this is Guns N' Roses, to be deceitful in itself. Did he miss the years when GN'R featured Buckethead and Finck?

Exactly, what the fuck does he think this is, KISS?

Good point!

The other thing was… that the heart of the soul of Guns N' Roses was Izzy and a lot of those songs work well because of his musical intelligence and his feel.

Izzy Stradlin's songs wouldn't have made it past the clubs without Axl or Slash.

The other thing was… that the heart of the soul of Guns N' Roses was Izzy and a lot of those songs work well because of his musical intelligence and his feel.

Izzy Stradlin's songs wouldn't have made it past the clubs without Axl or Slash.

Axl and Slash's songs wouldn't have made it past the clubs without Izzy. See what I just did there? We could go on and on and on in a big circle but we always come back to the same equation. They all needed eachother to succeed.

Edited by Nintari

Axl and Slash's songs wouldn't have made it past the clubs without Izzy.

I'm not convinced that GnR sans Izzy wouldn't have made it out of the clubs.