Alan Niven, "I cannot digest is that he states that he is Guns N' Roses because on his own – he is not.”

SunnyDRE

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing was… that the heart of the soul of Guns N' Roses was Izzy and a lot of those songs work well because of his musical intelligence and his feel.

Izzy Stradlin's songs wouldn't have made it past the clubs without Axl or Slash.

Axl and Slash's songs wouldn't have made it past the clubs without Izzy.

I'm not convinced that GnR sans Izzy wouldn't have made it out of the clubs.

And you base this on?????

Gut feeling.

Yesterday's over

I said okay

That's all right

Time moves on

That's the way

We live an hope to see the next day

That's all right

There's no logic here today

Do as you got to, go your own way

I said that's right

Time's short your life's your own

And in the end

We are just

DUST N' BONES

I agree with pretty much everything that Niven said.

BUT........at the end of the day, I could care less what the name of the band is.

The name of the band means shit in terms of the quality of the music. OK. Boo hoo. This isn't the original band. Axl kept the "name" of the band. Get over it. Move on.

Still amazes me that some people care MORE about the NAME than they do the music that is produced.

GnR, The Axl Rose Band, etc - all I care about is the music that the band puts out. The actual name of the band is about the 19746th most important thing.

Guns N' Roses as far as I’m concerned played their last show on April 7th 1990 in Indianapolis which was the last show live show at Farm Aid that the original line-up played.

:( ah shit...I never saw Guns n Roses

Not the real Guns N Roses.......... B)

So Guns n Roses without Adler wasn't the real Guns n Roses? :confused:

Guns N' Roses as far as I’m concerned played their last show on April 7th 1990 in Indianapolis which was the last show live show at Farm Aid that the original line-up played.

Then Metallica isn't shit without Burton etc. lame lame lame singer makes the band. Metallica isn't shit without hetfield

the real GnR was Axl, Duff, Izzy, Slash and Steven.......Any thing after was watered down with the leaving of each original AFD member.........just my opinion...........

was the first song I saw GnR perform live.

Seemed pretty damn real to me.

Definately more real then NuGnR but...................... the real GnR was Axl, Duff, Izzy, Slash and Steven.......Any thing after was watered down with the leaving of each original AFD member.........just my opinion...........

If Guns was a beer then the AFD Guns was Guinness and NuGnR would be Coors light.................

hahaha real.

what is real?

guns n' roses - chinese democracy

i can hold that in my hands. its real.

Guest Sweet Tooth

Definately more real then NuGnR but...................... the real GnR was Axl, Duff, Izzy, Slash and Steven.......Any thing after was watered down with the leaving of each original AFD member.........just my opinion...........

If Guns was a beer then the AFD Guns was Guinness and NuGnR would be Coors light.................

hahaha real.

what is real?

guns n' roses - chinese democracy

i can hold that in my hands. its real.

are you saying rio? or real? reel? get the hell out of here, gnr hater!

I’ll be blunt, I think Slash is one of the best guitar players that has ever lived. I love his soul. I love his note selection. I love the way he plays - but he’s not a great songwriter. Duff won’t appreciate me saying this, but on his own, Duff, is not a great songwriter - brilliant at bass parts and drum structure but not a great songwriter. You only have to look at his first solo album to note that. Guns N' Roses was an amazing collective and a chemistry that worked and any successful entity can be looked at with the analogy of the molecule. You can take out the smallest part of a molecule and that molecule will collapse and that’s Guns N' Roses.”

You can't really say he's biased against just Axl. :xmassrudolph:

the real GnR was Axl, Duff, Izzy, Slash and Steven.......Any thing after was watered down with the leaving of each original AFD member.........just my opinion...........

was the first song I saw GnR perform live.

Seemed pretty damn real to me.

Yeah, losing Steven didn't really affect much.

Izzy left and it all went to shit.

I agree with him on the Izzy part. Izzy is a great songwriter.. it's a shame he hasn't got a great band and singer to make his stuff even better at the moment.

Sometimes I listen to Izzy's songs and think "damn this would've been pure greatness if someone like Axl or Myles Kennedy would sing and Slash would add some nice blues solo's to it".

Izzy's songs always have some sense of "swing" and "soul" to it.. they're real.

I disagree on the other stuff though.

Slash wrote some good songs with Snakepit and I love Duff's second album with Loaded (and I'm looking forward to the next one).

Axl spent too much time tinkering with his songs.. because I really like the more basic IRS demo, loved Oh My God, and I also really liked the early - more alternative - versions of Madagascar and The Blues. Great songwriting.

BraveWords.com: It just seems unfair to me that people complain about Axl calling himself Guns N' Roses yet David Coverdale can stand onstage with his 80th guitar player and 23rd drummer and call himself Whitesnake and no one complains.

Alan Niven: “I think a line is crossed when you see look-a-likes with similar clothing and trademarks playing. I think then you feel manipulated and I think then you get a feeling that there’s an element of con to this. I think the majority of the fans that attended the recent Leeds and Reading shows would say that Axl sounded in pretty good voice for his years, oxygen tank and teleprompter. They were delighted to hear him get through the songs the best he could even though he was a little breathless here and there, but despite the fact that he’s obviously not 100% match fit; they heard some classic songs live that they’ve loved for years and they enjoyed the night out, but it wasn’t Guns N’ fucking Roses. It’s absolutely a cover band, Mitch. I just think it’s sad that it’s gotten to the point that you have people onstage aping the originals.”

So, they shouldn't "look-a-like" former members...damn, that's the lamest argument ever :rofl-lol:

BraveWords.com: The reason I ask is that I get the impression that he is reaching out to all originally involved with Guns N' Roses and is seeking some kind of closure.

Alan Niven: “I don’t think Steven wants closure. I think Steven wants his youth back. I think Steven wants the magic of that moment and heyday to be recreated which, of course, is absolutely not going to happen. Everybody’s older and moved on and in the extraordinarily unlikely event in which the band actually did a reunion – it would be different. You cannot re-live the past and you should, at least in a creative endeavour, have one foot in the present. If Guns N' Roses were to re-unify, I personally would dearly hope that it would be substantiated by valid and new creativity in the studio with a new record and that it wouldn’t just live off the past.”

and this is 100% true :krider: ...I'd love to see the AFD lineup reunion, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I'd be disappointed if they reunite. <_<

Alan Niven: I think we’re looking at coercion and unpleasantness and meanness of spirit that elicits a negative response when they see a ‘Guns N Roses’ banner over a crowd at Leeds which is exacerbated by a Slash look-a-like who is doing the same moves and wearing a top-hat. Where there is a guy who looks rather similar in haircut and body language to Izzy and plays a hollow body guitar and you look at the bass player and think ‘well, that’s the closest they could find to Duff. I think that’s a tremendous deceit on Axl’s part. I think it’s an incredible insult to the people who made Guns N' Roses what it was… to Izzy, to Steven, to Slash, to Duff and I think it’s very callous and arrogant. I think it’s foolish for Axl to do it and I think it’s foolish for an audience to accept it.

Just my point! It's just crazy to keep that look when you replace a rock icon like Slash. A very bad move.

This band is NOT Guns N' Roses. I know all you Axlites smart asses always say things like "Uh, how come it says Guns N' Roses on my concert ticket?" etc, and it's fucking bullshit! Guns N' Roses died in 1990 as Alan said. I like the CD album as a Axl solo album, but to call it Guns N' Roses is very disrespectful to the GNR lagacy, because it simply doesn't reach up to the GNR standard. And please save me for that "It's better than AFD and UYI because This I Love makes me cry every time I hear it". Pussies.

Alan Niven: I think we’re looking at coercion and unpleasantness and meanness of spirit that elicits a negative response when they see a ‘Guns N Roses’ banner over a crowd at Leeds which is exacerbated by a Slash look-a-like who is doing the same moves and wearing a top-hat. Where there is a guy who looks rather similar in haircut and body language to Izzy and plays a hollow body guitar and you look at the bass player and think ‘well, that’s the closest they could find to Duff. I think that’s a tremendous deceit on Axl’s part. I think it’s an incredible insult to the people who made Guns N' Roses what it was… to Izzy, to Steven, to Slash, to Duff and I think it’s very callous and arrogant. I think it’s foolish for Axl to do it and I think it’s foolish for an audience to accept it.

Just my point! It's just crazy to keep that look when you replace a rock icon like Slash. A very bad move.

This band is NOT Guns N' Roses. I know all you Axlites smart asses always say things like "Uh, how come it says Guns N' Roses on my concert ticket?" etc, and it's fucking bullshit! Guns N' Roses died in 1990 as Alan said. I like the CD album as a Axl solo album, but to call it Guns N' Roses is very disrespectful to the GNR lagacy, because it simply doesn't reach up to the GNR standard. And please save me for that "It's better than AFD and UYI because This I Love makes me cry every time I hear it". Pussies.

If you dont like it fuck off, its plain simple.

Fact is : The current gnr are more exciting, have better songs, have more fans, put on better concerts, are in more demand then any of the old ex members currently (velvet revolver anyone? LOL fucking EL OH EL).

If you dont like the current gnr, then theres something wrong with you and you should learn to grow the fuck up and accept that things aren't always 'clear cut' and that in music, there is no rules, and politics aside, this band has proven themselves that they are more than capable of creating and performing music that not only pays homage to the gnr legacy, but surpasses it on many levels.

so if you dont like gnr in 2010, go enject yourself with some cool drugs and drink some jack like your old 80s guitarist and reminisce on the old band whilst the rest of us can accept and love this band for what it is and enjoy the music and the concerts while we still have them.