Documentaries

kevdo242

The Nazis: A Warning from History (10 hours long i think but also brilliant)

i watched this over the weekend and it was great. thanks for the suggestion. fyi, it was 6 - 45. min episodes, but it really flew by. the series was very well paced. just today i watched the last 3 episodes in a row, couldn't stop.

i found it much more engaging than ken burns : the war, that was 7 parts and at times i really had to force myself to watch it.

i just downloaded "beefs", i watched 2 seconds (literally) to make sure it was what i was looking for, it is, and i loled. im not sure what 2 seconds i saw, but it was hilarious nonetheless.

I watched all 5 episodes in a row, great documentary!

Does anyone have more suggestions for great WW2/Hitler/concentration camps documentaries? I'm really interested in that stuff right now.

ohhhhh shit. i haven't seen this yet but its bound to be good. i love horizon

what is reality?

i also recommend these horizon episodes

parallel universes

how long is a piece of string?

to infinity and beyond

the secret you

who is afraid of the big black hole?

is everything we know about the universe is wrong?

beyond the big bang

I've always had an interest in mental illness and treatment of especially things like the old Victorian Asylums and wotnot. Documentary here about treatment of patientsat the Bridgewater State Hospital back in the 60's and it's seriously fucked up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titicut_Follies

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a97_1233076955

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e5e_1233082303

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9cc_1233086391

Watched up until the middle of part 2. I'm guessing it just gets more disturbing as it goes along? It's so fucked up :no:

I also recently watched The Bridge that someone posted a link to in this thread. That really moved me, amazing documentary. So weird thinking that those jumps are real, it's not an act, but fucking real.

Defamation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNHIEegEkRU

The film examines whether "'anti-Semitic' has become an all purpose label for anyone who criticizes Israel and the possibility that some Jews' preoccupation with the past -- i.e., the Holocaust -- is preventing progress in the here and now. [1] Shamir decided to make this film after a critic of an earlier film accused him of antisemitism. [1]

Filmmaker Yoav Shamir states in the beginning of the film that as an Israeli he has never experienced antisemitism himself and wants to learn more about it since references to antisemitism in countries all over the world are common in the Israeli media.

The film includes interviews with Abraham Foxman, the head of the Anti-Defamation League, John J. Mearsheimer, co-author of New York Times Best Seller The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy, Norman Finkelstein, a critic of Israeli government policy as well as many others. The film also follows a group of Israeli high school students on a class trip to Europe where they tour Auschwitz, as well as a number of other notable Holocaust locations.

The film notes that in 2007, the ADL reported a spike in antisemitism, claiming that there were 1,500 anti-Semitic incidents in the United States, yet when Shamir contacts the ADL they can only list minor incidents such as websites with inflammatory comments, letters from employees denied time off for a Jewish holiday, or people offended by a cop's use of the word "Jew". A case presented concerns a group of African American boys, aged between 10 and 12, who pelted a school bus with rocks, breaking two windows.

Shamir also interviews a rabbi who says that the hypervigilance of the ADL inflames relations between Jews and non-Jews in the United States. He also finds that among his interviewees there is more sensitivity to antisemitism among secular Jews than religious ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Defamation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNHIEegEkRU

The film examines whether "'anti-Semitic' has become an all purpose label for anyone who criticizes Israel and the possibility that some Jews' preoccupation with the past -- i.e., the Holocaust -- is preventing progress in the here and now. [1] Shamir decided to make this film after a critic of an earlier film accused him of antisemitism. [1]

Filmmaker Yoav Shamir states in the beginning of the film that as an Israeli he has never experienced antisemitism himself and wants to learn more about it since references to antisemitism in countries all over the world are common in the Israeli media.

The film includes interviews with Abraham Foxman, the head of the Anti-Defamation League, John J. Mearsheimer, co-author of New York Times Best Seller The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy, Norman Finkelstein, a critic of Israeli government policy as well as many others. The film also follows a group of Israeli high school students on a class trip to Europe where they tour Auschwitz, as well as a number of other notable Holocaust locations.

The film notes that in 2007, the ADL reported a spike in antisemitism, claiming that there were 1,500 anti-Semitic incidents in the United States, yet when Shamir contacts the ADL they can only list minor incidents such as websites with inflammatory comments, letters from employees denied time off for a Jewish holiday, or people offended by a cop's use of the word "Jew". A case presented concerns a group of African American boys, aged between 10 and 12, who pelted a school bus with rocks, breaking two windows.

Shamir also interviews a rabbi who says that the hypervigilance of the ADL inflames relations between Jews and non-Jews in the United States. He also finds that among his interviewees there is more sensitivity to antisemitism among secular Jews than religious ones.

Great watch, thanks for the heads-up on it.

Finished watching Kenneth Clarke's Civilisation. Breath-taking.

BBC doc on Ronald Reagan, really good and pretty balanced. its probably hard to get a fair view on reagan in the US. i find BBC usually hits home with their shows. they did a really good one on JFK a few months ago too.

reagan

JFK the making of modern politics

I think the JFK one was banned in the US.

i remember watching it thinking holy shit! real talk! this isnt going to go over well!

apparently it didnt.

BBC doc on Ronald Reagan, really good and pretty balanced. its probably hard to get a fair view on reagan in the US. i find BBC usually hits home with their shows. they did a really good one on JFK a few months ago too.

reagan

JFK the making of modern politics

I think the JFK one was banned in the US.

im not surprised. when i was watching it i was like - " :blink: REAL TALK!"

should be disturbing that it was banned...?

i watched "the wild and wonderful whites of west Virginia" the other day... i couldn't finish it. just too fucked up. its this redneck clan from, you guessed it, west Virginia...unreal. first time since jesus camp that i had to turn off a documentary in disgust.

Edited by Jackie Moon

Capturing the Friedmans...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342172/

-Kickingthehabit

watched this today. really good, not very surprised. check it out folks.

thought it was interesting near the end when it reveals arthurs brother is gay... getting f-ed by your brother for years (probably like 8-10,11?) would do that. i figure they probably did something sketchy during that computer class, jesse's confession to his lawyer / in court seemed legitimate, even though the situation he was in would warrant such a lie... but the footage of him outside the court during sentencing...that wasn't normal... i figure something happened then got blown out of control by suggestion / hypnosis. leapfrog seemed ridiculous.
Edited by Jackie Moon

Capturing the Friedmans...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342172/

-Kickingthehabit

Documentary on the Friedmans, a seemingly typical, upper-middleclass Jewish family whose world is instantly transformed when the father and his youngest son are arrested and charged with shocking and horrible crimes.

So Arrested Development with jews then?

I watched the Frequency of Genius the other night. We seem to be getting closer and closer to the point where we're all going to have to put on space suits if we want to be safe when we walk outside. Even then they're still going to poison all our food and water. Might as well just pass me a drink now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXobZPf97FA

I first saw this 15 years ago, and it still haunts me to this day. Paradise Lost 2 wasn't bad either, but to me it seemed like more of a synopsis.

For a much more detailed account of the case, check out Mara Leveritt's book Devils Knot

I have both of those on dvd.

Apparantly they are working on a third movie.

Quite a bit of info has changed since the first 2 docus.