DUFF MCKAGAN Says It Was 'Great' Playing With AXL ROSE And The New GUNS N' ROSES - Oct. 21, 2010

justmike66

I wouldn't doubt if Slash was in London too. He probably attended the Ronnie Wood show with Duff..

Holy shit, let the rumors begin..... Especially since Slash is on Ronnie's new album.

You can end those rumors. Slash was in New York at the time

Love the inside info... You don't have to say it, I am putting the pieces together... Duff let Slash in on the meeting, Duff and his coolness will smooth things over with Axl and Slash, its just a matter of time now. Was Axl impressed with Slash's playing on the most recent tour, so much so he wanted him back in the fold? Why now? Okay, could all be a chance happening..

Nobody knows Axl's thoughts on any Velvet Revolver or Slash material because he refuses to talk about it.

I guess it would kinda be like watching a sex tape of an ex girlfriend. You wouldn't want to watch or listen to it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This puts a completely different perspective on the current Guns n Roses.

I mean, if people like Duff and Izzy like the current line up and sometimes play with them on stage, it gives the new band more credibility.

Out of the original 5, 3 support the new band. Imagine that.

Anybody who believes that Slash would jam with the current line-up of GNR is seriously deluded. Slash is a GNR purist. He has stated many times that he is only interested in reuniting if it's with the five guys who made AFD.

You are never going to see Slash share a stage with Bumblefoot and DJ Ashba.

"I got to London last Thursday. I was there on separate business — a separate business even from music."

I don't believe that you had business outside of music the same week Axl is in town Rocking the place.

AXL&DUFFs' FRIENDSHIP RESTARTS NOW!!!

Edited by iftheworld

I wouldn't doubt if Slash was in London too. He probably attended the Ronnie Wood show with Duff..

Holy shit, let the rumors begin..... Especially since Slash is on Ronnie's new album.

You can end those rumors. Slash was in New York at the time

You do know a bit more than the rest of us for sure. But Slash and Perla have been in Hawaii on vacation and celebrating their anniversary. They just returned home last night. They left almost right after his appearance to play the SSB in LA.

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Edited by plonker88

It's a shame that these guys can't get over their differences and be friends again without everyone jumping on the reunion bandwagon.

Duff has to hide what happened, or at best be very careful about what he says to the press, because people can't accept that this doens't mean reunion.

Somethings are bigger than fans greed and I'm pleased for them from a personal perspective that they're ok with each other again.

It's much more important what them playing together means than the performances.

I am happy for them.

I do think it was a coincidence in the hotel, not sure why there has to be a conspiracy about everything.

It's not unlikely the hotel will have a floor with the most expensive rooms and that Axl and Duff would book one of them.

LP

Edited by Longpig

cancer boy is not even good enough to jam with BBF or Ashba whoever's playing guitar for Axl this year :shrugs:

but good enough to jam with Les Paul, B.B. King, Steve Stevens, Neal Schon, Lee Ritenour, Steve Lukather, Vai, Jeff Healey, Jeff Beck, Joe Perry etc... :xmassrudolph:

Anybody who believes that Slash would jam with the current line-up of GNR is seriously deluded. Slash is a GNR purist. He has stated many times that he is only interested in reuniting if it's with the five guys who made AFD.

cancer boy is not even good enough to jam with BBF or Ashba :shrugs:

The guy lost his mom because of cancer and you're using this trying to be a funny guy in a fan forum. You should die for being such a child. Stupid fuck.

It's a shame that these guys can't get over their differences and be friends again without everyone jumping on the reunion bandwagon.

Duff has to hide what happened, or at best be very careful about what he says to the press, because people can't accept that this doens't mean reunion.

Somethings are bigger than fans greed and I'm pleased for them from a personal perspective that they're ok with each other again.

It's much more important what them playing together means than the performances.

I am happy for them.

I do think it was a coincidence in the hotel, not sure why there has to be a conspiracy about everything.

It's not unlikely the hotel will have a floor with the most expensive rooms and that Axl and Duff would book one of them.

LP

Fantastic post.

And it came down to the simple fact... Axl and I just sort of met up, we saw each other and we hugged. I went down to the gig with him. There were a couple of guys hanging out. There was a lot of, sort of... Like what I was saying, you go through a lot of stuff in business and there's some fractures and demonizing of each other and I think, if nothing else, a couple of old friends maybe got over some of those hurdles and had a nice talk. And I don't want to do anything here to cheapen that by saying anything to you guys, but we had a nice dinner the day after the show, and that was it."

On hanging out with his old buddy again:

"Yeah, I missed it. I did. I missed it. And it couldn't have happened in a more odd way, really."

On the actual performance:

"The show is going on and I'm watching it. And somebody comes over with a bass... 'Now, I haven't played 'You Could Be Mine' since 1993. A lot of the other songs, like 'Paradise City' and 'Mr. Brownstone' and 'It's So Easy', I've played with VELVET REVOLVER or [longtime project] LOADED, but 'You Could Be Mine', I was, like, 'Oh, God. OK, I can play it. I think I remember it.' There's a bridge there. I'd forgotten the second part of the bridge, and I had to look at [current GUNS N' ROSES guitarist] Bumblefoot [chuckles], his guitar neck, to see where the next guitar chord was. But, yeah, it was fun. I had a great time."

"It was a little but heavy. When people saw it... It wasn't heavy for me so much. I was kind of more concerned about the band that he's put together — great, great players [and] great guys. I've gotten to know Bumblefoot and Tommy [stinson, bass] and Frank [Ferrer], the drummer. And, of course, there's Dizzy [Reed, keyboards]. It's a great band and I didn't wanna do anything to lessen what they were doing."

Very nice. If Duff can be this gracious in appreciating Axl and Guns N Roses and speak warmly of how gracious they were to him, it should be a good lesson to all those who trash the current line up, with only the word reunion on their minds. Whether or not that ever happens, it would be good to take a cue from Duff and appreciate the red haired tornado and the fantastic lineup he's put together.

cancer boy is not even good enough to jam with BBF or Ashba :shrugs:

The guy lost his mom because of cancer and you're using this trying to be a funny guy in a fan forum. You should die for being such a child. Stupid fuck.

You're no better for telling him to "die," you self-righteous prick. :)

Edited by T.W.A.T.

It's cool that they're on speaking terms again...if a reunion should happen, then cool!..i don't think it will, though...and lately i've been enjoying Loaded a lot more than GnR or Slash or VR anyways...so i think that guns should keep on going with this line-up and others should do what they're doing...these one-offs are still great! even when they're happening every four years...ok, now i'm close to contradicting myself...but i think everything is great how it is now...

yeah, and telling someone to die isn't actually the smartest behavior...

Edited by jekylhyde

Duff's an awesome down-to-the-earth guy. Happy for him & Axl that they got their shit sorted out as friends. :thumbsup:

I've always liked Duff...Two parts of the read I enjoyed:

- That he and Axl embraced when first meeting up. The emotions going through each of them must have been overwhelming.

- How they went to dinner the following night. It wasn't just an adrenaline filled 'one night stand' up on stage.

cancer boy is not even good enough to jam with BBF or Ashba whoever's playing guitar for Axl this year :shrugs:

but good enough to jam with Les Paul, B.B. King, Steve Stevens, Neal Schon, Lee Ritenour, Steve Lukather, Vai, Jeff Healey, Jeff Beck, Joe Perry etc... :xmassrudolph:

Can any of those guitar players play Shackler's? NO they were good for their time. Stop fooling yourself and just admit Axl is like Dave Mustaine, he only hires the best.

Vai could do it in his sleep :sleeper:

But he probably wouldn't because he'd come up with something else (better), most of those guys would.

Edited by moreblack

It's much more interesting listening to the audio of this interview. Duff sounds really genuine and also, it seems like he underplays the actual meeting, going to the gig, having dinner etc. It could just be that two old friends meeting a long time after a bad falling out might not have too much to say to each other. But, I'm sure that there was a lot of emotion surrounding the whole episode and that part of the reason he was being low key was out of respect for Axl and to protect the chance to maintain a renewed friendship.

As far as this being a chance meeting, you'd be surprised what shit the cosmos pulls on us at times. For example, as I was walking back to my hotel in Winnipeg after the Guns show, I glance into a bookstore window and the first thing my eyes fall upon is a copy of Atlas Shrugged. Just saying that there's many unusual coincidences that occur in our lives, and sometimes it can be a pleasant surprise. :xmasschef:

Good words from Duff ...very reasonable and racional.

Sounds like this event wasnt just important to the die hard fans , good to see that it was a special moment for Duff (wich was expected). The most cool thing is that trully seems that Duff was just happy to regain contact with a friend that was part of his life for years ....just forget all the mess from the past that nobody can change anymore . This does show a good person :)