GUNS N' ROSES' Former Manager (Irving Azoff) Responds To AXL ROSE's Legal Claim

star

GUNS N' ROSES' Former Manager (Irving Azoff) Responds To AXL ROSE's Legal Claim - Oct. 14, 2010

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Irving Azoff's Front Line Management, which once represented GUNS N' ROSES, has filed an official answer to a countersuit brought against the company by GN'R singer Axl Rose.

Rose was sued by Front Line Management in March for nearly $2 million dollars in unpaid commissions, according to the Associated Press. The company filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles, claiming that Rose owes the company $1.9 million, or 15 percent of the more than $12 million that Rose has earned from performances in Europe, Canada and South America, based on an oral agreement.

Rose responded by filing a countersuit that claimed Azoff tried to bully Rose into doing a reunion tour with the original GUNS lineup. According to The Pulse of Radio, Rose claimed in his suit that Azoff did everything he could to sabotage the current version of GUNS after Rose said no to the reunion idea last year, alleging that Azoff tried "devising and implementing a secret plan to set up Rose and the band for failure so that Rose would have no choice but to reunite with the original GUNS N' ROSES members."

Rose's suit added, "Upon realizing that he couldn't bully Rose and accomplish his scheme, Azoff resigned and abandoned GUNS N' ROSES on the eve of a major tour, filing suit for commissions he didn't earn and had no right to receive."

Earlier this month Azoff filed an official answer to Rose's charges by asserting 14 affirmative defenses to Rose's claims he breached fiduciary duty, committed constructive fraud and breached a contract. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Azoff states in his response that Rose claims "are barred by statute of limitations; there was a waiver; There was an accord and satisfaction; that Rose consented to Azoff's actions; that Rose failed to take reasonable steps to mitigate the damage; and that any harm that came to Rose was due to the singer's own negligence, fraud or misconduct."

SOURCE

Edited by star

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GUNS N' ROSES' Former Manager (Irving Azoff) Responds To AXL ROSE's Legal Claim - Oct. 14, 2010

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Irving Azoff's Front Line Management, which once represented GUNS N' ROSES, has filed an official answer to a countersuit brought against the company by GN'R singer Axl Rose.

Rose was sued by Front Line Management in March for nearly $2 million dollars in unpaid commissions, according to the Associated Press. The company filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles, claiming that Rose owes the company $1.9 million, or 15 percent of the more than $12 million that Rose has earned from performances in Europe, Canada and South America, based on an oral agreement.

Rose responded by filing a countersuit that claimed Azoff tried to bully Rose into doing a reunion tour with the original GUNS lineup. According to The Pulse of Radio, Rose claimed in his suit that Azoff did everything he could to sabotage the current version of GUNS after Rose said no to the reunion idea last year, alleging that Azoff tried "devising and implementing a secret plan to set up Rose and the band for failure so that Rose would have no choice but to reunite with the original GUNS N' ROSES members."

Rose's suit added, "Upon realizing that he couldn't bully Rose and accomplish his scheme, Azoff resigned and abandoned GUNS N' ROSES on the eve of a major tour, filing suit for commissions he didn't earn and had no right to receive."

Earlier this month Azoff filed an official answer to Rose's charges by asserting 14 affirmative defenses to Rose's claims he breached fiduciary duty, committed constructive fraud and breached a contract. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Azoff states in his response that Rose claims "are barred by statute of limitations; there was a waiver; There was an accord and satisfaction; that Rose consented to Azoff's actions; that Rose failed to take reasonable steps to mitigate the damage; and that any harm that came to Rose was due to the singer's own negligence, fraud or misconduct."

SOURCE

You must be celebrating. Wouldn't it just be great for Slashites like you if Axl just retired. You'd love that, eh?

Edited by Indigo Child

and that any harm that came to Rose was due to the singer's own negligence, fraud or misconduct."

no way , its never axl"s fault .... i say slash was behind this , :chef: and this icon reminds me of frank

Don't you hate clowns that have to interject axl-vs-slash comments in every topic....just flaming the bad feelings people already have. Or clowns that make smart ass comments about everything that axl does. Serves no purpose on this forum.

And this is the reason there'll be no guns studio release for the forseeable :(

Just curious: What was the reason from 1994-2008?

Axl was waiting for the first black president to be elected in the US before he released a new album.

Axl will probably wait to release his next album when that president is voted out of office. I'm hoping 2012. :thumbsup:

I'd like to know why?, but don't let Axl know about this he'll let you know your opinion is not worth anything in a large paragraph of foul mouthed four lettered words of excuses and crying about how Slash is a asshole.

• Are barred by statute of limitations; -->Nice loophole, not denying wrong-doing but saying it's too late to call him on it.

• There was a waiver; --> A waver for what? To allow a reunion? To allow him to hurt the current band? This doesn't answer any of the allegations.

• There was an accord and satisfaction; See above

• That Rose consented to Azoff's actions; Rose consented to reunion and to undermine current band? This has nothing to do with the allegations.

• That Rose failed to take reasonable steps to mitigate the damage; The only damage mentioned by rose is damage caused by Azoff, Rose was responsible for stopping Azoff from doing damage?

• Any harm that came to Rose was due to the singer's own negligence, fraud or misconduct." Negligence of what? What was Rose responsible for in regards to these allegations?
    Remember, these are answers to the Allegations from Rose against Azoff, it has nothing to do with the original suit of Azoff vs Rose. Most of these responses don't seem to have anything to do with the accusations. If I read the accusations I can't take any one of these responses and apply it to one of the accusations, they are just legal voodoo used to complicate, delay and confuse the subject.
    I don't know who's right or wrong. I don't know all the facts. I don't really intend to follow these two suits (well, suit and counter-suit) that closely but these responses seem to be smoke up the arse.

Edited by mcalldp

Don't you hate clowns that have to interject axl-vs-slash comments in every topic....just flaming the bad feelings people already have. Or clowns that make smart ass comments about everything that axl does. Serves no purpose on this forum.

yawn .... i guess your high and mighty insults serve a better purpose .... yawn , and for the record i know most got it .. but i was just joking , thought it was pretty obvious but i guesss not for some lol

I wonder how many lawsuits Axl has going at the same time on average.

That's what I wondered.

There's the Azoff case, which is pretty big.

There's the Activison case, which is just as big, if not bigger.

Then there's the other cases which we don't get to hear about.

No wonder Chinese Democracy took 10+ years to create.

How Axl can be creative with all the legal stuff going on, must prove difficult.

That's what I wondered.

How Axl can be creative with all the legal stuff going on, must prove difficult.

Given your thread subtitle, "This will keep Axl busy for a while =D" it seems you don't want Axl being creative or releasing any new material. That's cool if you feel that way, just don't dance around it and actually say it.

more legal shit I half expect

Well, let's see:

1993-1995/1996= Axl is in court against Steven (1993), Gilby (1994), Stephanie Seymour (1993-1994?), Erin (1994-1995/1996)

1994-1995= Relationship with Slash disintegrating, no replacement able to be found for Gilby which pleases Slash. Axl is stalked by Karen MacNeil for the first time in 1995. She comes into his house, claiming she has been psychically communicating with him. Shannon Hoon dies of overdose.

1996- Axl's mother dies. Slash leaves Guns officially, halting all work on the new material and causing it to have to be scrapped. They had recorded 7 songs at this point, though Slash claims in the Summer of 1996 that between him and Axl there have been 80 songs written, which are mostly Axl's material according to Slash. Wildfires nip at Axl's house.

1997- West Arkeen dies. The search for Slash's replacement happens and seems to be settled in August 1997, when Robin is officially signed, though he has been working with the band since January 1997. Axl is described as seeming sad, "like a beaten dog." Matt is fired in April 1997, and Chris Vrenna is first hired to replace him. Vrenna leaves.

Just as Robin officially joins the band, Duff leaves in August 1997, causing him to need to be replaced. Duff is begged to stay by the record company. Oh My God is written musically by Dizzy and Paul Huge this year.

1998- As of February, the band has not recorded yet, according to Doug Goldstein. Duff's slot in the band remains open if he wants to rejoin as of February. A few months later, the search for Duff replacement ensues. Billy Howerdel works with the band in this period and introduces Axl to Chris Pitman. They work on mostly guitar parts as well as adding modern touches to the band. Howerdel introduces Axl to the sound of the band Lusk, which Axl loves.

Axl is arrested. At some point in the year, Tommy joins the band, as does Josh Freese. The band begins writing, and recording most of the Chinese D material we have now at Rumbo in mid 1998, first with Mike Clink producing, then later Steve Lilywihite, Jay Baumgardner, Robbie Jacobs, Mark Bell and Youth all take turns acting as producer. Axl writes Madagascar in 1998. This I Love (which had been recorded in 1992 while on tour) is planned to be released on the Field of Dreams soundtrack, but is rejected by the director of the film. So, CD has only just started to be written in 1998.

Axl plans on re-recording the AFD songs with this new band (composed of Axl, Robin, Paul, Billy Howerdel, Tommy, Josh, Dizzy and Chris). Youth dissuades Axl from following that idea. Critter is recruited by Youth to help engineer the record. According to Youth, he only worked with Axl four or five times and got Axl to sing again--Apparently Axl hadn't sang a note in about 18 months. Youth feels Axl felt "stuck" and didn't know how to proceed as far as CD.

Axl begins working on Prostitute around this time, according to Spin Magazine. However, Youth claims that at this point in time, there are no solid songs--Just sketches and ideas.

"He had some brilliant ideas, but they really were just sketches. He really wanted to leave the past behind and make a hugely ambitious album, like Led Zeppelin's Physical Grafitti crossed with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon." (Youth, The Times, 03/18/05)

"'They sold millions of records in a few years,' says the producer. 'He had a big crew of people in the studio... and I think that kind of pressure chokes creativity.'" (Youth, Spin, 07/99)

Axl decides a more intimate setting would help, and so the band move from Rumbo to a studio set up in his house. Around June or July 1998, Madagascar begins to slowly be recorded.

At this point, according to a former engineer, the song Oklahoma is already fully writtern, as well as Ides of March, which came from a drum loop idea.

Youth tries to get Axl into the studio, but Axl tells Youth he is "pushing (him) too fast." Youth quits as producer not long after.

"Axl was deeply unhappy. I sensed he was clinically depressed because he only worked from 9pm to 9am. He was living a hermit lifestyle. In the end, he told me he wasn't ready. He was trying to get to some spiritual level that would make him happy." (Youth, The Times, 03/18/05)

Around September 1998, Sean Beaven is hired as the producer; Plans are made for the band to begin recording in November 1998 and tour the record throughout the summer of 1999. Apparently, a record did exist by this point, according to a former Geffen A&R man:

"The Robin Finck/Josh Freese/Tommy Stinson/Billy Howerdel/Dizzy Reed version of the album that existed in 1998 was pretty incredible. It still sounded like GNR but there were elements of Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails and Pink Floyd mixed in. The record just needed a lead vocal and a mix. [...] If Axl had recorded vocals, it would have been an absolutely contemporary record in 1999." (James Barber, Poptones, 10/16/05)

" (James Barber, Poptones, 10/16/05)

"The time I was on [the songs], they were very industrial sounding with the old GN'R elements on top. Axl had some vocal ideas down, but not many." (Dave Dominguez, enginer who worked with the band in 1998 talking in 2004)

1999- "Oh My God" is recorded and released. Robin abruptly quits, causing his contributions to be re-evaluated. Brian May plays with the band in December and records a few songs. He claims Axl has two records worth just of vocals as of this time. Around this time, an industrial meets prog rock flavored Chinese D is apparently rejected by the record company.

2000- Axl plays the songs IRS, Catcher in the Rye, TWAT, Oklahoma and Chinese Democracy for Rolling Stone magazine.

Edited by Indigo Child

That's what I wondered.

And than there is this case:

Axl Rose -- Alleged Bentley Abuser

That's what I wondered.

Given your thread subtitle, "This will keep Axl busy for a while =D" it seems you don't want Axl being creative or releasing any new material. That's cool if you feel that way, just don't dance around it and actually say it.

No not at all. New Axl material is always welcome.

He appears to spend too much time fighting. Guess that's just the way he is.

Maybe he needs that to inspire himself. I can't help but think, if he stepped away from the legal stuff, he could focus more on music.

That's what I wondered.

And the case of the painting(s) (faliure to pay up or something?)

That's what I wondered.

No not at all. New Axl material is always welcome.

He appears to spend too much time fighting. Guess that's just the way he is.

Maybe he needs that to inspire himself. I can't help but think, if he stepped away from the legal stuff, he could focus more on music.

That's what I wondered.

And the case of the painting(s) (faliure to pay up or something?)

It's pretty obvious from your sig which camp you fall in.

I guess I should say, you'd like him to be forced financially to reunite with the old band. In any event, if this bogs Axl down enough that "new GN'R" can't release any music, that's just as good too, right?

and that any harm that came to Rose was due to the singer's own negligence, fraud or misconduct."

no way , its never axl"s fault .... i say slash was behind this , :chef: and this icon reminds me of frank

Indeed. This $la$h vs axl shit is so 90's. People really need to grow up and get a life if they can't post intelligent shit.

This from you? You would not know intelligent if it shit in your face. By the way it is now Axl Ro$e!