GUNS N' ROSES' Former Manager (Irving Azoff) Responds To AXL ROSE's Legal Claim

star

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are all standard legal defenses. The golden rule whenever you are sued is to use any all defenses. Depending on the jurisdiction you also have to state all defenses or lose the chance to lose them later. In reality, its possible that he listed these defenses so he can't be blocked from using them further down the road in the litigation. I am a lawyer but no familiar with all aspects of the lawsuit and therefore cannot state and relevant or informative opinions or conclusions. This is just the legal process. A slow and long process especially when complicated and lots of money is involved. Nothing more than that. Going to have to wait for them to show up in court and say what happened in their own words, if that even happens.

And this is the reason there'll be no guns studio release for the forseeable :(

Just curious: What was the reason from 1994-2008?

more legal shit I half expect

Well, let's see:

1993-1995/1996= Axl is in court against Steven (1993), Gilby (1994), Stephanie Seymour (1993-1994?), Erin (1994-1995/1996)

1994-1995= Relationship with Slash disintegrating, no replacement able to be found for Gilby which pleases Slash. Axl is stalked by Karen MacNeil for the first time in 1995. She comes into his house, claiming she has been psychically communicating with him. Shannon Hoon dies of overdose.

1996- Axl's mother dies. Slash leaves Guns officially, halting all work on the new material and causing it to have to be scrapped. They had recorded 7 songs at this point, though Slash claims in the Summer of 1996 that between him and Axl there have been 80 songs written, which are mostly Axl's material according to Slash. Wildfires nip at Axl's house.

1997- West Arkeen dies. The search for Slash's replacement happens and seems to be settled in August 1997, when Robin is officially signed, though he has been working with the band since January 1997. Axl is described as seeming sad, "like a beaten dog." Matt is fired in April 1997, and Chris Vrenna is first hired to replace him. Vrenna leaves.

Just as Robin officially joins the band, Duff leaves in August 1997, causing him to need to be replaced. Duff is begged to stay by the record company. Oh My God is written musically by Dizzy and Paul Huge this year.

1998- As of February, the band has not recorded yet, according to Doug Goldstein. Duff's slot in the band remains open if he wants to rejoin as of February. A few months later, the search for Duff replacement ensues. Billy Howerdel works with the band in this period and introduces Axl to Chris Pitman. They work on mostly guitar parts as well as adding modern touches to the band. Howerdel introduces Axl to the sound of the band Lusk, which Axl loves.

Axl is arrested. At some point in the year, Tommy joins the band, as does Josh Freese. The band begins writing, and recording most of the Chinese D material we have now at Rumbo in mid 1998, first with Mike Clink producing, then later Steve Lilywihite, Jay Baumgardner, Robbie Jacobs, Mark Bell and Youth all take turns acting as producer. Axl writes Madagascar in 1998. This I Love (which had been recorded in 1992 while on tour) is planned to be released on the Field of Dreams soundtrack, but is rejected by the director of the film. So, CD has only just started to be written in 1998.

Axl plans on re-recording the AFD songs with this new band (composed of Axl, Robin, Paul, Billy Howerdel, Tommy, Josh, Dizzy and Chris). Youth dissuades Axl from following that idea. Critter is recruited by Youth to help engineer the record. According to Youth, he only worked with Axl four or five times and got Axl to sing again--Apparently Axl hadn't sang a note in about 18 months. Youth feels Axl felt "stuck" and didn't know how to proceed as far as CD.

Axl begins working on Prostitute around this time, according to Spin Magazine. However, Youth claims that at this point in time, there are no solid songs--Just sketches and ideas.

"He had some brilliant ideas, but they really were just sketches. He really wanted to leave the past behind and make a hugely ambitious album, like Led Zeppelin's Physical Grafitti crossed with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon." (Youth, The Times, 03/18/05)

"'They sold millions of records in a few years,' says the producer. 'He had a big crew of people in the studio... and I think that kind of pressure chokes creativity.'" (Youth, Spin, 07/99)

Axl decides a more intimate setting would help, and so the band move from Rumbo to a studio set up in his house. Around June or July 1998, Madagascar begins to slowly be recorded.

At this point, according to a former engineer, the song Oklahoma is already fully writtern, as well as Ides of March, which came from a drum loop idea.

Youth tries to get Axl into the studio, but Axl tells Youth he is "pushing (him) too fast." Youth quits as producer not long after.

"Axl was deeply unhappy. I sensed he was clinically depressed because he only worked from 9pm to 9am. He was living a hermit lifestyle. In the end, he told me he wasn't ready. He was trying to get to some spiritual level that would make him happy." (Youth, The Times, 03/18/05)

Around September 1998, Sean Beaven is hired as the producer; Plans are made for the band to begin recording in November 1998 and tour the record throughout the summer of 1999. Apparently, a record did exist by this point, according to a former Geffen A&R man:

"The Robin Finck/Josh Freese/Tommy Stinson/Billy Howerdel/Dizzy Reed version of the album that existed in 1998 was pretty incredible. It still sounded like GNR but there were elements of Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails and Pink Floyd mixed in. The record just needed a lead vocal and a mix. [...] If Axl had recorded vocals, it would have been an absolutely contemporary record in 1999." (James Barber, Poptones, 10/16/05)

" (James Barber, Poptones, 10/16/05)

"The time I was on [the songs], they were very industrial sounding with the old GN'R elements on top. Axl had some vocal ideas down, but not many." (Dave Dominguez, enginer who worked with the band in 1998 talking in 2004)

1999- "Oh My God" is recorded and released. Robin abruptly quits, causing his contributions to be re-evaluated. Brian May plays with the band in December and records a few songs. He claims Axl has two records worth just of vocals as of this time. Around this time, an industrial meets prog rock flavored Chinese D is apparently rejected by the record company.

2000- Axl plays the songs IRS, Catcher in the Rye, TWAT, Oklahoma and Chinese Democracy for Rolling Stone magazine.

can't believe rec company rejected a record in 99. Then we had to wait a decade to get one. Prostitute is interesting one as it start in 98 but wasnt complete til 2004. In the end I think they got there with the record but we'll never know what really went on. that's prob why I'll be onsessed with it forever.

can't believe rec comp rejected an album in 99.

I think with Azoff, he's saying it's Axl's fault, he didnt do promo, appearances etc.

Don't you hate clowns that have to interject axl-vs-slash comments in every topic....just flaming the bad feelings people already have. Or clowns that make smart ass comments about everything that axl does. Serves no purpose on this forum.

yawn .... i guess your high and mighty insults serve a better purpose .... yawn , and for the record i know most got it .. but i was just joking , thought it was pretty obvious but i guesss not for some lol

Yawn? Lol? What are you...15 years old?

It's obvious you were joking. I guess my post went over your head. Oh well. Keep adding fuel to the ridiculous axl-v-slash fire that a few people on here can't get past. (Is this where I add the humorous "lol" or "yawn" parts. I guess we won't be bffs).

Well, let's see:

1993-1995/1996= Axl is in court against Steven (1993), Gilby (1994), Stephanie Seymour (1993-1994?), Erin (1994-1995/1996)

1994-1995= Relationship with Slash disintegrating, no replacement able to be found for Gilby which pleases Slash. Axl is stalked by Karen MacNeil for the first time in 1995. She comes into his house, claiming she has been psychically communicating with him. Shannon Hoon dies of overdose.

1996- Axl's mother dies. Slash leaves Guns officially, halting all work on the new material and causing it to have to be scrapped. They had recorded 7 songs at this point, though Slash claims in the Summer of 1996 that between him and Axl there have been 80 songs written, which are mostly Axl's material according to Slash. Wildfires nip at Axl's house.

1997- West Arkeen dies. The search for Slash's replacement happens and seems to be settled in August 1997, when Robin is officially signed, though he has been working with the band since January 1997. Axl is described as seeming sad, "like a beaten dog." Matt is fired in April 1997, and Chris Vrenna is first hired to replace him. Vrenna leaves.

Just as Robin officially joins the band, Duff leaves in August 1997, causing him to need to be replaced. Duff is begged to stay by the record company. Oh My God is written musically by Dizzy and Paul Huge this year.

1998- As of February, the band has not recorded yet, according to Doug Goldstein. Duff's slot in the band remains open if he wants to rejoin as of February. A few months later, the search for Duff replacement ensues. Billy Howerdel works with the band in this period and introduces Axl to Chris Pitman. They work on mostly guitar parts as well as adding modern touches to the band. Howerdel introduces Axl to the sound of the band Lusk, which Axl loves.

Axl is arrested. At some point in the year, Tommy joins the band, as does Josh Freese. The band begins writing, and recording most of the Chinese D material we have now at Rumbo in mid 1998, first with Mike Clink producing, then later Steve Lilywihite, Jay Baumgardner, Robbie Jacobs, Mark Bell and Youth all take turns acting as producer. Axl writes Madagascar in 1998. This I Love (which had been recorded in 1992 while on tour) is planned to be released on the Field of Dreams soundtrack, but is rejected by the director of the film. So, CD has only just started to be written in 1998.

Axl plans on re-recording the AFD songs with this new band (composed of Axl, Robin, Paul, Billy Howerdel, Tommy, Josh, Dizzy and Chris). Youth dissuades Axl from following that idea. Critter is recruited by Youth to help engineer the record. According to Youth, he only worked with Axl four or five times and got Axl to sing again--Apparently Axl hadn't sang a note in about 18 months. Youth feels Axl felt "stuck" and didn't know how to proceed as far as CD.

Axl begins working on Prostitute around this time, according to Spin Magazine. However, Youth claims that at this point in time, there are no solid songs--Just sketches and ideas.

"He had some brilliant ideas, but they really were just sketches. He really wanted to leave the past behind and make a hugely ambitious album, like Led Zeppelin's Physical Grafitti crossed with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon." (Youth, The Times, 03/18/05)

"'They sold millions of records in a few years,' says the producer. 'He had a big crew of people in the studio... and I think that kind of pressure chokes creativity.'" (Youth, Spin, 07/99)

Axl decides a more intimate setting would help, and so the band move from Rumbo to a studio set up in his house. Around June or July 1998, Madagascar begins to slowly be recorded.

At this point, according to a former engineer, the song Oklahoma is already fully writtern, as well as Ides of March, which came from a drum loop idea.

Youth tries to get Axl into the studio, but Axl tells Youth he is "pushing (him) too fast." Youth quits as producer not long after.

"Axl was deeply unhappy. I sensed he was clinically depressed because he only worked from 9pm to 9am. He was living a hermit lifestyle. In the end, he told me he wasn't ready. He was trying to get to some spiritual level that would make him happy." (Youth, The Times, 03/18/05)

Around September 1998, Sean Beaven is hired as the producer; Plans are made for the band to begin recording in November 1998 and tour the record throughout the summer of 1999. Apparently, a record did exist by this point, according to a former Geffen A&R man:

"The Robin Finck/Josh Freese/Tommy Stinson/Billy Howerdel/Dizzy Reed version of the album that existed in 1998 was pretty incredible. It still sounded like GNR but there were elements of Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails and Pink Floyd mixed in. The record just needed a lead vocal and a mix. [...] If Axl had recorded vocals, it would have been an absolutely contemporary record in 1999." (James Barber, Poptones, 10/16/05)

"The time I was on [the songs], they were very industrial sounding with the old GN'R elements on top. Axl had some vocal ideas down, but not many." (Dave Dominguez, enginer who worked with the band in 1998 talking in 2004)

1999- "Oh My God" is recorded and released. Robin abruptly quits, causing his contributions to be re-evaluated. Brian May plays with the band in December and records a few songs. He claims Axl has two records worth just of vocals as of this time. Around this time, an industrial meets prog rock flavored Chinese D is apparently rejected by the record company.

2000- Axl plays the songs IRS, Catcher in the Rye, TWAT, Oklahoma and Chinese Democracy for Rolling Stone magazine.

can't believe rec company rejected a record in 99. Then we had to wait a decade to get one. Prostitute is interesting one as it start in 98 but wasnt complete til 2004. In the end I think they got there with the record but we'll never know what really went on. that's prob why I'll be onsessed with it forever.

I think with Azoff, he's saying it's Axl's fault, he didnt do promo, appearances etc.

Axl appeared to do nothing (promo-wise). There were a couple of TV ad's..

Where they really f-cked up, was in not releasing video's with singles.

Edited by star

I kind of see why Axl went AWOL now, well I have a half baked theory anyway, the rec company didn't help them do a video, and Azoff was trying to orchestrate a reunion on the release of CD. He's meant to be the manager of the current band not the guy trying to break them up on the eve of the record's release? maybe I'm crazy but where was the support after the Best buy deal it's like everyone disappeared.

Well, let's see:

Nice synopsis! (golf clap) those are only the issues the public knows about, I'm quite sure there are more at hand that would've hindered creativity :thumbsup:

Well, let's see:

Axl appeared to do nothing (promo-wise). There were a couple of TV ad's..

Where they really f-cked up, was in not releasing video's with singles.

GNR was not given the "monumental 3-cover" promotion they were promised, I'm sure Best Buy did their best but a cardboard stand in the middle of their gadgets isn't momumental promotion, hell the booklet was not even the approved version,also in today's market I think you overestemate the value of videos to

promo a song/Album, a tour DVD would go over much better.

I still think Shacklers would have been fucking AWESOME it they had gotten some famous anime artist and made a video about a teenager getting revenge, Columbine style. It would have been bad ass..controversial and relevant all in one fell swoop. Which is exactly what CD needed....publicity.

also in today's market I think you overestemate the value of videos to

promo a song/Album, a tour DVD would go over much better.

Seemed to work pretty well for Eminem.

Casting Megan Fox in his video was a brilliant move.

Not an eminem fan, don't keep track of his rap thang, It bores me, that is why I listen to GNR, the gigs have been proshot, I'd rather have a DVD than a video,just a thought. :D

Em must be a big mygnr fan.

HA!! Nice one!! :lol::lol:

Azoff resigned and abandoned GUNS N' ROSES on the eve of a major tour, filing suit for commissions he didn't earn and had no right to receive."

IMO this line sums it all up. Assoff, ups, I mean, Azoff asked for money from a job HE DIDN´T DO so, I think it is pretty clear and nothing more needs to be said.

I hope Axl wins this one.

• 3 months later...

Soz for bumping thread but I'm really interested in this big lawsuit. This is gonna be stressful for Axl in the future! With the news that guitar hero activison is going to trial does anyone have an idea when the Azoff suit will go ahead?

Azoff resigned and abandoned GUNS N' ROSES on the eve of a major tour, filing suit for commissions he didn't earn and had no right to receive."

IMO this line sums it all up. Assoff, ups, I mean, Azoff asked for money from a job HE DIDN´T DO so, I think it is pretty clear and nothing more needs to be said.

I hope Axl wins this one.

Assoff? Sweet,Black Horse,actually I recently spoke to someone that had dealings with him in the past and they said he had always been a "Pigdog of the worst kind",I'm hoping the judicial antitrust people will notice how Assoff has been abusing his Monopoly powers,over Artists via Ticketbastard and Live Nation!

;)

I think it's important that the bigger names stand up against the corrupt business side, because the smaller bands just can't do it. So to get things done write people like Prince, George Michael, Courtney or Axl have to take a stand.