AXL ROSE voted Greatest lead singer of all time as voted by users

gunsguy

DATE: 11/12/2010

TITLE: Axl Rose voted greatest lead singer of all time as voted by users

TEXT:

29qk5sn.jpg

The public have spoken, and we can’t think of a more contentious choice for the greatest lead singer of all time. Forget the moustachioed, cornrowed croaking caricature of recent years and think back to the late 1980s. Axl Rose: dangerous, lean, angry, confrontational, controversial; the hotheaded, horny ginger stepchild of Steven Tyler and Robert Plant, a born rock star who made being fashionably late a lifestyle choice and started riots in the process.

In his autobiography, Slash recounts his first encounter with that legendary voice: “Izzy brought me a tape of his band… it sounded like they were playing deep inside a jet engine. But through the static din, way in the background, I heard something intriguing, that I believed to be their singer’s voice. It was hard to make out and his squeal was so high-pitched that I thought it might be a technical flaw in the tape. It sounded like the squeak that a cassette makes just before the tape snaps – except it was in key.”

Listen: Guns N’ Roses – Rocket Queen

youtube.com/watch?v=1TnL-LJKWE0

Your votes:

"Controversial, but if your looking for someone you just can't ignore for the voice, presence, song writing, and just plain prima donna frontman persona, then Axl Rose. Or for the nice guy, less of a voice, harder to hear but still intriguing vote, Michael Stipe." (From MrGawain, thanks)

"Axl Rose." (From Sondre and Chester via Facebook, thanks)

"Axl Rose." (From @MojoBak, @Joseevita via Twitter, thanks)

"Who is the greatest lead singer of all time? Axl Rose of course! Ronnie James Dio and Tom Jones deserve the mention as well." (From @___Zephyr___ via Twitter, thanks)

SOURCE: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-30-greatest-lead-singers-of-all-time-315448/30

RELATED DISCUSSION: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=170652