Matt Sorum says, Axl played the London show for Duff not for the audience.

Dude on the Couch

i dont find anything wrong with what Matt has to say

some of you guys blow every little detail out of proportion

My sentiments exactly. What did he say that was negative or anti-Axl? Some of you are entirely too sensitive.

That just proves how pointless it is to ban someone on a fucking forum.

It is pointless, but they do it anyway. I think it makes a few of them feel like they're someone special. "O, well, we don't like what you have to say, so we'll ban you!" Hell, I was banned yesterday and I didn't even post anything deflammatory. lol

Regardless, it makes no difference to me. I currently have a dozen plus accounts and a proxy. Their IP bans are worthless. I've gotten used to having to use a new screen-name every couple of days. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to let them know that I am undermining their authority.

I think I will go with Duff's version of events.

Matt has bugged me ever since he made the "what's with the piano?" comment. You mean what's with the instrument that the most important member of the band plays?

Matt should just shut up and drum.

When you join the band that made Appetite For Destruction I doubt that you would expect to hear piano on the next record. Try not to see the question "whats with the piano" as a horrible insult to Axl, and more of a genuine question to a bandmate that you are creating a record with.

Try to remember that even though Axl/Slash/Izzy are on most of the songwriting credits every musician involved including the drummer, has to put their name and reputation to a song that once recorded, will exist for eternity and they have every right to question what happens. Even if it does upset Axl.

Yes, but try to remember that some songs on UYI, including some piano, were around or at least begun, during the AFD time. When Matt came on they were recording songs that included piano. So it should not have been much of a surprise to him. Don't think I said he was insulting Axl, nor do I think he upset Axl. But it was a comment that showed disagreement with what the band was doing, and the band was doing it when he got there.

Still think it is appropriate to go with Duff's version of events.

Good point about the fact that a lot of the piano songs were already written. I still think though that questioning things (even if they are already written) and giving opinions is a healthy thing for a band and shouldnt be seen as a negative.

Im no huge Matt Sorum fan, I think he is hugely underatted by a lot of GNR fans but this isnt a post about him.

Suppose Bumblefoot had some questions about some of the stuff he was given to record for CD, would you expect him to keep his mouth shut and not mention anything and just play what he was told. Of course not, we all want this to be a band.

I think I will go with Duff's version of events.

Matt has bugged me ever since he made the "what's with the piano?" comment. You mean what's with the instrument that the most important member of the band plays?

Matt should just shut up and drum.

When you join the band that made Appetite For Destruction I doubt that you would expect to hear piano on the next record. Try not to see the question "whats with the piano" as a horrible insult to Axl, and more of a genuine question to a bandmate that you are creating a record with.

Try to remember that even though Axl/Slash/Izzy are on most of the songwriting credits every musician involved including the drummer, has to put their name and reputation to a song that once recorded, will exist for eternity and they have every right to question what happens. Even if it does upset Axl.

Yes, but try to remember that some songs on UYI, including some piano, were around or at least begun, during the AFD time. When Matt came on they were recording songs that included piano. So it should not have been much of a surprise to him. Don't think I said he was insulting Axl, nor do I think he upset Axl. But it was a comment that showed disagreement with what the band was doing, and the band was doing it when he got there.

Still think it is appropriate to go with Duff's version of events.

Good point about the fact that a lot of the piano songs were already written. I still think though that questioning things (even if they are already written) and giving opinions is a healthy thing for a band and shouldnt be seen as a negative.

Im no huge Matt Sorum fan, I think he is hugely underatted by a lot of GNR fans but this isnt a post about him.

Suppose Bumblefoot had some questions about some of the stuff he was given to record for CD, would you expect him to keep his mouth shut and not mention anything and just play what he was told. Of course not, we all want this to be a band.

No, challenging and questioning in the band is healthy and actually improves the work. But it wasn't in the band, it was in the public that he made the statement. That's what I wasn't a fan of. I don't think his comments on Duff/Axl playing together were damning or earth shattering. But there was a sarcastic slant to the comment.

I don't have big issues with Matt's drumming. I'm indifferent. I just don't like the guy. I mean he never killed my cat or anything, so not a deep, simmering dislike, just a fan dislike.

More from Matt in another interview. I just copied the questions pretaining to this thread. The interview was mostly about VR.

Bravewords: Let me ask you a couple of questions about your Velvet Revolver bandmates. What was your reaction when saw Duff join the old band onstage in London?

MS: “I called him and said, ‘what the hell are you doing?’

Bravewords: That’s what I figured. Were you surprised that it worked out (apparently) so well?

MS: “I wasn’t surprised because here’s the biggest problem with bands and people that have that much history. The communication factor is the biggest break down. People get between you and the truth. The reality of Axl’s feelings towards Duff are a bit blown out of proportion. Maybe the situation between Axl and Slash is more fired up because there’s a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that even I don’t know about. But when he got up there, it was actually cool. He just happened to be in the same hotel, from what Duff tells me. Axl was having one of his moments (which he does have). He’s a very sensitive guy at times. I know that down deep he has feelings for all those guys. So, he just happened to be there and it was ‘ok, cool. Let’s do it.’ From what Duff tells me, he rode in the car with him and they were just chatting about the old days. They were hanging out and Duff got up there with him and he really put on a good show that night. I watched the video of it and he sounded better than ever. You could tell that he was singing more for Duff than for the crowd. A ‘look, I still got it’, kind of shit. He saw Duff and he was probably like ‘wow’. Duff’s a completely different guy from when he was in Guns N’ Roses. He’s a guy that’s running two different business columns. He’s gone to school and he’s got a family. Axl probably looked at him and thought, ‘who is this guy?’ He probably didn’t recognize him. The way Duff described it was that it was an organic thing and after that he hasn’t had very much conversation with him, but of course all the vultures swooped in and said ‘it’s going to happen’. Well…I don’t know. It’s one guy.”

I can't see how Matt can say Axl was singing for Duff and not the audience :shrugs: I've been watching them live so much this year, and I can tell he was singing for me as everyone else in the crowd. Just as he's doing every concert. Only thing different was he looked super excited to have Duff up there during You Could Be Mine. That's probably the most intense moment I've ever experienced. Everything in the room was on fire, including Axl. But he still sung for the audience.

That was it? This what people are bashing Matt Sorum over? This is silly.

^this^

people seem almost insulted by matts observation,

a guy who actually performed with the man.........

omgz ive watched every youtube video and went to a real live concert, Axl wasnt singing for the audience what does matt know?!?!

axl has no beef with matt, he gave him a ride back to his hotel back in '07, no reason people should be dissing him now for his educated opinion

Yeah, I'll give him that. He's consistent. But the piano bits were a part of the band even before AFD came out. If he didn't want piano to be a part of the band, then why was he a part of GnR?

Anyway, I'm really not as hot and bothered about Matt as the number of posts about him might imply. He's not a bad person, actually I have no idea if he's a good or bad person. He just annoys me.

Did he mean to make a big verbal smack against Axl with his recent comment? No.

I just feel like sticking with Duff's comments about it and leaving the rest alone.

If he didn't want piano to be a part of the band, then why was he a part of GnR?

why does it have to be all or nothing? Slash didnt like some of their songs either, should he have left before recording AFD?

he was taking a jab with the piano comment it was meant to be funny but still get a point across

doesnt mean he didnt want to be in the band at all or didnt like playing with them

i feel the same everytime i watch Estranged, whats with the dolphins

doesnt mean i stop being a fan or cant like the other videos

I just feel like sticking with Duff's comments about it and leaving the rest alone.

i think it may have been you who said the same thing when Slash commented

i personally like when they answer questions posed to them and hear their thoughts, whether we like their answers or not, i like the insight

If he didn't want piano to be a part of the band, then why was he a part of GnR?

why does it have to be all or nothing? Slash didnt like some of their songs either, should he have left before recording AFD?

he was taking a jab with the piano comment it was meant to be funny but still get a point across

doesnt mean he didnt want to be in the band at all or didnt like playing with them

i feel the same everytime i watch Estranged, whats with the dolphins

doesnt mean i stop being a fan or cant like the other videos

i think it may have been you who said the same thing when Slash commented

i personally like when they answer questions posed to them and hear their thoughts, whether we like their answers or not, i like the insight

Well, I have to agree with you on the dolphins.

It's a little different as Slash and Axl started it together and worked together to figure out what was in and what was out.

And I guess I don't mind the comments they make, Slash more than Matt. Then I just choose to dismiss one's comments over another. Matt wasn't even making a comment that was going against Duff's comments in any way.

I guess he just annoys me. It happens.

Matt's exactly right...check out when Axl belts out "I'll rip your heart in two" he looks RIGHT at Duff. Axl's still got the voice but beyond that what...6 beggars and hangers on??

just looked at that video again because I thought it's be fun to see them interacting like that moment you mentioned.. but all he's doing there is just acknowledging his presence there.

and that's pretty much the only time he ever has any interaction with him on the stage during the song. (just watched YCBM)

would've loved seeing more of it, at least since you're making such a big deal of it :shrugs:

GeorgeGlass is one of those "Reunion or Retire" types.

No I'm a reunion or don't use the GNR name type of guy.

Matt's exactly right...check out when Axl belts out "I'll rip your heart in two" he looks RIGHT at Duff. Axl's still got the voice but beyond that what...6 beggars and hangers on??

just looked at that video again because I thought it's be fun to see them interacting like that moment you mentioned.. but all he's doing there is just acknowledging his presence there.

and that's pretty much the only time he ever has any interaction with him on the stage during the song. (just watched YCBM)

would've loved seeing more of it, at least since you're making such a big deal of it :shrugs:

Too bad.

This is Guns N' Roses.

God some of you people act are so protective of Axl it actually creeps me out. Saying Axl performed for Duff and not the audience doesn't even make sense. Sounds like poor translation to me. I don't even like Sorum but this is nothing to get excited about. If I was Axl, I would get creeped out by some of you over-protective fans. He is not a delicate baby.

i read the rest of the interview in the other thread and can see that this has been taken slightly out of context, so i withdraw my Axl protecting, Sorum bashing fanboy comment :thumbsup:

Too bad.

This is Guns N' Roses.

In name only, because it was purchased. It's sad to see 48 year old Axl lug around 6 unknown musicians and parade around as GNR. I liked the comment in another thread how when Ozzy left Black Sabbath he toured as Ozzy, not Black Sabbath. He knew better.

Too bad.

This is Guns N' Roses.

In name only, because it was purchased. It's sad to see 48 year old Axl lug around 6 unknown musicians and parade around as GNR. I liked the comment in another thread how when Ozzy left Black Sabbath he toured as Ozzy, not Black Sabbath. He knew better.

Tony Iommi, who owns the Black Sabbath name, continued it without Ozzy, and later even the rest of the guys. See 1985-1992 and 1992-1995 in Sabbath's history. Iommi was the only original band member for that period.

This is Guns N' Roses, in name and in fact. It's actually not sad to see Axl out rocking at 48. What's sad is some people can't get over 10/31/1996 and cupcake a message board daily expressing their deep bitterness, actually believing their pathetic whining is going to do anything.

Too bad.

This is Guns N' Roses.

Tony Iommi, who owns the Black Sabbath name, continued it without Ozzy, and later even the rest of the guys. See 1985-1992 and 1992-1995 in Sabbath's history. Iommi was the only original band member for that period.

This is Guns N' Roses, in name and in fact. It's actually not sad to see Axl out rocking at 48. What's sad is some people can't get over 10/31/1996 and cupcake a message board daily expressing their deep bitterness, actually believing their pathetic whining is going to do anything.

Indeed.

Yeah, and Sabbath really took off without Ozzy. Nobody gave a fuck after Ozzy left. Same way nobody gives a shit about GNR without 80% of the members there.

Too bad.

This is Guns N' Roses.

Indeed.

Yeah, and Sabbath really took off without Ozzy. Nobody gave a fuck after Ozzy left. Same way nobody gives a shit about GNR without 80% of the members there.

The 5 million worldwide who bought CD and the millions who have seen them just this past year would probably disagree with you.

Edited by Indigo Child