The Gear Thread

54 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I have a question and this seemed like the appropriate thread for it. 

I'm getting a really bad fret buzz on the 7th fret on the D string of my acoustic. It's only on that string too, none of the other 7th frets are doing it. Would it be a neck issue or time for new strings? I replaced the strings in like December or January and a yearly tune up done in October

Could be as simple as an action adjustment needed especially if you only get it set-up once a year. Definitely time for new strings too.

Barring those, at a worst case scenario it could be a dead fret or a slight bump in the neck. Both are treatable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I have a question and this seemed like the appropriate thread for it. 

I'm getting a really bad fret buzz on the 7th fret on the D string of my acoustic. It's only on that string too, none of the other 7th frets are doing it. Would it be a neck issue or time for new strings? I replaced the strings in like December or January and a yearly tune up done in October

Check the truss rod. Clamp the strings before the first fret, and after the last fret. You can use a capo on the first fret if you need to.

Now check the space between the frets and strings. You should be able to fit between a business card and a penny between the frets and strings. If the strings and frets touch, that's your issue.

If everything looks ok there, you either have a lifted fret or an action issue with either the nut (more likely) or the bridge (not as likely with buzz on the 7th).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AslatIE said:

The design looks fucking cool 

It certainly does. Credit where it is due for taking a problem and not only fixing it, but making it stylish. However. Fuck them in the ass for not making it standard on EVERY MODEL THEY MAKE that suffer from said affliction. Gibson, as a company? Fuck. I can't stand them.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:01 AM, AxlisOld said:

Got the remaining parts for my Charvel rescue today and...

20170720_185927.jpg

She's built for both speed and comfort.

Now that's one smoking hot super strat. Congratulations it's a beauty and I bet play as good as it looks.

On 8/14/2017 at 7:14 PM, James Bond said:

On 8/14/2017 at 1:04 PM, AslatIE said:

I have an irrational hate for all combo amps in the world, except Bluesbreakers.

My Jubilee combo is the tits.

I have a DSL40C that's pretty good. I do want to change the speaker though when I get a chance. It's white tolex too, so it sounds better.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 2

I am in guitar heaven at this moment in time. I decided to down scale a little and get rid of my Dual Rec and have replaced it with a Mesa Mark 5 25 and my fucking god i loooove it. It has 2 channels, the first has three modes (clean,fat,crunch) and i've found a tone on the clean by pushing the gain which is like a ballsy, bluesy Hendrixy tone and the crunch mode is pure hard rock bliss. The second channel also has 3 modes (MK IIC+,MK IV, Extreme) and the MK Iv is straight up Metallica and my neighbours got a nice rendition of Sad But True this afternoon, the Extreme mode is as vicious as it sounds and i haven't really messed with the MK IIC mode yet. Of course the Mark series is famous for it's graphic EQ so really there is endless possibilities tone wise.

It's also multi watt, it has 10 or 25 watts to play around with, 10 watts for the bedroom and 25 for whenever my lazy ass friend who plays the drums is down to jam. I've owned about 5 or 6 heads (Marshall,Orange and Mesa) and this is the best i've ever owned.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I am in guitar heaven at this moment in time. I decided to down scale a little and get rid of my Dual Rec and have replaced it with a Mesa Mark 5 25 and my fucking god i loooove it. It has 2 channels, the first has three modes (clean,fat,crunch) and i've found a tone on the clean by pushing the gain which is like a ballsy, bluesy Hendrixy tone and the crunch mode is pure hard rock bliss. The second channel also has 3 modes (MK IIC+,MK IV, Extreme) and the MK Iv is straight up Metallica and my neighbours got a nice rendition of Sad But True this afternoon, the Extreme mode is as vicious as it sounds and i haven't really messed with the MK IIC mode yet. Of course the Mark series is famous for it's graphic EQ so really there is endless possibilities tone wise.

It's also multi watt, it has 10 or 25 watts to play around with, 10 watts for the bedroom and 25 for whenever my lazy ass friend who plays the drums is down to jam. I've owned about 5 or 6 heads (Marshall,Orange and Mesa) and this is the best i've ever owned.

I would love one of these! They cost a fuckload though....

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 0:30 AM, AxlisOld said:

In other words, we recognized a problem, and only fix it on shit you pay extra for. Fuck all other models. Jesus, Gibson.

They did the neck volute in the Norlin era and people didn't respond well

Sucks, it's a good modification 

7 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I would love one of these! They cost a fuckload though....

Yeah obviously selling my Rectifier softened the blow in that regard and the store had a sale on gear, what are they in the UK about 2000 quid i'd imagine?. Not the cheapest but for what they can do...man there's so much variety in tone.

30 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Yeah obviously selling my Rectifier softened the blow in that regard and the store had a sale on gear, what are they in the UK about 2000 quid i'd imagine?. Not the cheapest but for what they can do...man there's so much variety in tone.

Best part of 2k I think, they hold value second hand as well. Never been too fussed about the Rectifier, but the Mark Vs are something special, you should post some clips so I can be jealous! 

8 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Best part of 2k I think, they hold value second hand as well. Never been too fussed about the Rectifier, but the Mark Vs are something special, you should post some clips so I can be jealous! 

Yeah i've tried that with other heads before but i can only record on my phone which doesn't get the sounds across at all, particularly at any decent volume you just don't get the nuances of the sound whatsoever.

10 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Here ya go, hope the videos (and my playing) does it some justice. Channel 1 on the crunch setting, Izzy type tone first and Slash with the EQ on for more gain.

.....and a couple Metallica riffs on the Mark 4 setting.

Sweet, that thing rips! I would love one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Sounds good, definitely hear the "Mark" tone. 10 watts is still pretty loud for a bedroom! :lol:

Pics, clips!

Yeah its loud, the master volume is at 3 there on 10 watts and can certainly be heard throughout most of the house but not pissing off the neighbours. I've had a shot of 25 watts it's mega!. My wife was out so wanted to crank it more for the clips but the phone couldn't handle it and sounded shit ( the recording not the amp). Oh and did i mention it has a headphone jack as well?, so late night playing is possible if you wish. How they have fitted some much into such a relatively small head amazes me, incredible engineering.

Edited by Silverburst80