The Gear Thread

16 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Yeah its loud, the master volume is at 3 there on 10 watts and can certainly be heard throughout most of the house but not pissing off the neighbours. I've had a shot of 25 watts it's mega!. My wife was out so wanted to crank it more for the clips but the phone couldn't handle it and sounded shit ( the recording not the amp). Oh and did i mention it has a headphone jack as well?, so late night playing is possible if you wish. How they have fitted some much into such a relatively small head amazes me, incredible engineering.

Mesa's "features:price" ratio has always been great, especially compared to the other big manufacturers. And I believe all of their amps are still USA made. I haven't seen a Mark V under the hood, but DR's look almost like computers. :lol:

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Sweet, that thing rips! I would love one.

Oh yeah, here's a more professional and very detailed demo of the beast ( 1:57 is that ballsy plexi-ish sound i was referring to on the clean channel in my first post). This guys good doesn't do too much incessant noodling. I don't want get you in any financial trouble but you should get one pronto!

Edited by Silverburst80

9 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Sounds good, definitely hear the "Mark" tone. 10 watts is still pretty loud for a bedroom! :lol:

Pics, clips!

IMG_1422.thumb.JPG.469cd5352800e95d20c1d166b244a8f2.JPG

No clips yet but together they are masterful - believe me. ;)

That said, I will probably swap the pickups down the line. 498T/490R combo which sounds good, but my taste/preference is lower output pickups. A set of Pearly's would elevate this guitar past the stratosphere for me.

As soon as I picked it up I knew it was the right choice. I guess at that point it was a little late to buy back the gear I sold anyways. :lol:

Gibson as whole might be hit and miss these days, but the Custom Shop still has the goods if this guitar is any indicator.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

That's awesome. Shame that I have no justification for another tube amp... should join a band I guess

There's tube amps out there for the bedroom player which i'm much more of these days, the "lunchbox" type heads. Always can get a 1x12 cab and you'll get great tones at a good price.

Edited by Silverburst80

7 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Oh yeah, here's a more professional and very detailed demo of the beast ( 1:57 is that ballsy plexi-ish sound i was referring to on the clean channel in my first post). This guys good doesn't do too much incessant noodling. I don't want get you in any financial trouble but you should get one pronto!

I don't think it will be a purchase I can make anytime soon (mortgage, kids, wife on maternity etc.etc.). 

51 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I don't think it will be a purchase I can make anytime soon (mortgage, kids, wife on maternity etc.etc.). 

Yeah i feel ya, i've just got the one kid who's 5 now and the wifes back at work full time so i can occasionally spoil myself. Sounds like your working with some awesome gear as it is anyway man.

Edited by Silverburst80

2 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

There's tube amps out there for the bedroom player which i'm much more of these days, the "lunchbox" type heads. Always can get a 1x12 cab and you'll get great tones at a good price.

Yep I have a 1 watt tube amp called the Marshall JTM1C, it's the best thing I've found for bedroom level playing, works great with pedals and all

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Yeah i feel ya, i've just got the one kid who's 5 now and the wifes back at work full time so i can occasionally spoil myself. Sounds like your working with some awesome gear as it is anyway man.

I can't complain! Recorded a quick demo of my new interface preamps the other day, very happy with it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

Yep I have a 1 watt tube amp called the Marshall JTM1C, it's the best thing I've found for bedroom level playing, works great with pedals and all

Very cool, i think i misunderstood your post in that you used to have a tube amp but don't anymore. I wasn't aware there were 1 watt tube combos out there, shows how much i know :lol:

11 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Very cool, i think i misunderstood your post in that you used to have a tube amp but don't anymore. I wasn't aware there were 1 watt tube combos out there, shows how much i know :lol:

There's also a 0.1 watt mode if you really wanna get that power tube distortion in your bedroom, it's great for AC/DC etc.

• Like 1

I have a short clip of my newest amp. It's actually the second Ceriatone King Kong I've owned. I regretted selling the first one, and a good deal came up for another one a few weeks ago. They're basically supposed to be Cameron CCV clones (because Mark Cameron doesn't make them anymore and only 50-60 exist in totality).

In this clip, it still has the stock Chinese/Sovtek 12AX7s in it. Still gotta put my NOS glass in at some point. But I thought it still sounded pretty good even with those sub-par tubes. 

A bit of the clean channel, and then the gain channel on the middle-clipping setting. Cab is a Marshall 425A with G12Cs, and guitar is an LP custom.

3 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I have a short clip of my newest amp. It's actually the second Ceriatone King Kong I've owned. I regretted selling the first one, and a good deal came up for another one a few weeks ago. They're basically supposed to be Cameron CCV clones (because Mark Cameron doesn't make them anymore and only 50-60 exist in totality).

In this clip, it still has the stock Chinese/Sovtek 12AX7s in it. Still gotta put my NOS glass in at some point. But I thought it still sounded pretty good even with those sub-par tubes. 

A bit of the clean channel, and then the gain channel on the middle-clipping setting. Cab is a Marshall 425A with G12Cs, and guitar is an LP custom.

Nice sounding amp man, never seen those before.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Sounds good! Did you keep the 1959slp?

Yup still have the modded Marshall. It's out of commission at the moment, a fuse blew and I stripped the holder pretty bad when I tried to get it out. So I took a hammer to the assembly in an effort to knock it out of the socket in the chassis - but that also knocked the mains fuse holder out of it's socket. :facepalm: It needs a trip to the tech when I get a chance. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's criminal that this thread/board hasn't seen a post nearly all month!

I am possibly getting a 2x12 cabinet. Mojotone with a Creamback 75 and H30 in it. It's the right price, but I'd need to switch out the H30 for another Creamback or V30 since my heads are 100 watters.

And Mr. Bond, let's hear that SG!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

It's criminal that this thread/board hasn't seen a post nearly all month!

I am possibly getting a 2x12 cabinet. Mojotone with a Creamback 75 and H30 in it. It's the right price, but I'd need to switch out the H30 for another Creamback or V30 since my heads are 100 watters.

And Mr. Bond, let's hear that SG!

It is dead in this section at the moment! I always thought a Creamback/V30 combo would be sweet in a 2x12.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

I used to post in this thread plenty, but downzy being an asshat kinda turned me offa this place.

Not sure what's going on elsewhere; I really only check the gear and video games section. I can't imagine the GNR section is at all riveting, and the last General Discussion thread I looked at had its last 3 pages completely off topic between 4 Britons arguing about who-knows-what. :lol:

2 hours ago, AslatIE said:

It's funny how fresh strings give me so much creative inspiration and motivation :P 

A new set of strings always feels great. What are you using? I've been on the EB Cobalt 11s for about 3-4 years. Tried M-Steel, didn't notice anything special. Haven't tried the Paradigms yet.

And I think I'm leaning on not getting that 2x12 cab. I just don't need it right now, and a decent deal can pretty easily be found if I do end up having a need for one. 

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

Not sure what's going on elsewhere; I really only check the gear and video games section. I can't imagine the GNR section is at all riveting, and the last General Discussion thread I looked at had its last 3 pages completely off topic between 4 Britons arguing about who-knows-what. :lol:

A new set of strings always feels great. What are you using? I've been on the EB Cobalt 11s for about 3-4 years. Tried M-Steel, didn't notice anything special. Haven't tried the Paradigms yet.

And I think I'm leaning on not getting that 2x12 cab. I just don't need it right now, and a decent deal can pretty easily be found if I do end up having a need for one. 

Ernie Ball .10-46

I like them, they feel and sound like they really should

• 3 weeks later...