The Gear Thread

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Marshall is coming out with a 20 watt Plexi and JCM800 5th complement the 2525. God Damn, thats awesome

pretty cool. happy with my mini jubilee. Gonna try the Plexi though there are already plexi-ish low wattage available that are killer. Was pretty stoked about the suhr badger and the TAD 18watt head

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Marshall is coming out with a 20 watt Plexi and JCM800 5th complement the 2525. God Damn, thats awesome

I'm not convinced. The price is $1,300 and you can get a real deal 70s JMP or 80s JCM for that money, usually in solid condition. The lower wattage may appeal to people. but 20w is still very loud. For home playing, 20w is still too much IMO, may as well have the real thing in 50 or 100 watts. Also worried about how power section changes to accomodate the lower wattage will affect the tone/feel.

For the mini Jub I think this price point makes sense because you can't get a real Jubilee head at $1,300 unless it's in awful condition. Although now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen the original 50w Jub combo go for $1,300 - $1,500 in the past (yup one on Reverb now for $1,500).

So I guess people will buy these regardless. 

Edited by OmarBradley

On 1/24/2019 at 2:27 PM, OmarBradley said:

I'm not convinced. The price is $1,300 and you can get a real deal 70s JMP or 80s JCM for that money, usually in solid condition. The lower wattage may appeal to people. but 20w is still very loud. For home playing, 20w is still too much IMO, may as well have the real thing in 50 or 100 watts. Also worried about how power section changes to accomodate the lower wattage will affect the tone/feel.

For the mini Jub I think this price point makes sense because you can't get a real Jubilee head at $1,300 unless it's in awful condition. Although now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen the original 50w Jub combo go for $1,300 - $1,500 in the past (yup one on Reverb now for $1,500).

So I guess people will buy these regardless. 

I hear you but within a year the used prices will drop to a grand or under. I think 20 watts is still a big difference, anyways. Maybe not in volume but getting good saturation in a band setting will be easier. Especially with the Plexi. These also have a built in attentator which is good for home use (maybe not apartment use)

If I was getting an amp I would strongly consider one of these. Probably the 1959SLP

Edited by ZoSoRose

People are starting to receive these. The clips I've heard sound good, but some techs are not impressed with the components/layout Marshall used - quite a few are saying these heads should be selling for about half as much as Marshall is charging. In a band setting these studio heads would be pretty good, I agree. I think my preferences are due to style. Lower wattage amps just don't get me the same dynamics and gain structure as 50 or 100 watters. A lot changes in an amp when you take a 50/100w model and try to lower it. But mini heads are clearly selling and they do sound good, so it makes sense Marshall is jumping into this realm.

If I were to spend ~$1,300 on a low wattage non-used amp though, it would be the Friedman JJ Mini.

Think I'm going to snag a 50 watt Katana within a week or two though.

Edited by OmarBradley

• 2 weeks later...

I played the mini Plexi and JCM800 at a local store this past week.

The Plexi, just like the full version, you have to crank up. I could probably sort of get there in my band, but couldn't in the store really on the 20 watt mode. Sounded good, reminded me of my old Class 5. The built in attentator sounds fine but at 4 watts, it still gets very loud. They should have added a master volume.

The JCM 800 sounded great at low volume with the master down and preamp gain cranked. I've played a 100 watt one before and this reminded it of me well enough.

If I had to choose Id probably get the Studio Vintage/1959SLP but I liked both. I think the "trick" to good tone is volume, though. Honestly they werent that much better than the Marshall models in my Helix. Those sound best cranked, too.

Edited by ZoSoRose

• 2 months later...

Picked up a kit for a really good price, it's got some dings and scratches but it sounds soooo good - a big, boomy, heavy arena rock sound. The kick is a 26" beast:

twUOPpz.jpg

f54dF9g.jpg

Once I replace the heads and clean it up a bit, it's gonna be a great kit.

It's not a big brand-name either, it's from a custom shop near Atlanta. 

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Got an HX Stomp a few weeks ago, loving it so far! Here is a clip of some sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/imc1980/stomp

Hell yeah! I'm going on a year with my Helix and havent touched my amp since. What are your favorite amp models? I love the Plexi channels and Super Tremelos 

I like the JCM 800s a lot for recording and at home but havent bonded with them live. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Hell yeah! I'm going on a year with my Helix and havent touched my amp since. What are your favorite amp models? I love the Plexi channels and Super Tremelos 

I like the JCM 800s a lot for recording and at home but havent bonded with them live. 

I have been using the Plexi Bright Trem with a Redwirez free IR (left guitar on that clip) and the Placater dirty channel with the same IR (right guitar on the clip).

I have only ever heard one JCM800 2204 in real life and it was a killer tone, a bit like a more focused and cutting full blast plexi, less woolly. I think the 2204 model is way too bassy, but I have barely scratched the surface with the models and effects. This opinion could completely change once I have spent some time with the amp model!

On 6/16/2019 at 3:47 AM, SoundOfAGun said:

I have been using the Plexi Bright Trem with a Redwirez free IR (left guitar on that clip) and the Placater dirty channel with the same IR (right guitar on the clip).

I have only ever heard one JCM800 2204 in real life and it was a killer tone, a bit like a more focused and cutting full blast plexi, less woolly. I think the 2204 model is way too bassy, but I have barely scratched the surface with the models and effects. This opinion could completely change once I have spent some time with the amp model!

Awesome I'll try that IR tomorrow. I use an Ownhammer Marshall checkerboard with greenbacks usually. Let me know if you want to try some.

I never played a 2204 but I agree the amp model is bassy. I also think its a little quiet. I can crank the channel and master and it can still be quiet. Sounds good at home though. The other JCM800 with the other mid controls sounds similar too. 

My favorite amp models change but I consistently use the Super Tremolo, 1959SLP, SLO100, Archon, and then the JC120 for cleans. 

Edited by ZoSoRose

17 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Awesome I'll try that IR tomorrow. I use an Ownhammer Marshall checkerboard with greenbacks usually. Let me know if you want to try some.

I never played a 2204 but I agree the amp model is bassy. I also think its a little quiet. I can crank the channel and master and it can still be quiet. Sounds good at home though. The other JCM800 with the other mid controls sounds similar too. 

My favorite amp models change but I consistently use the Super Tremolo, 1959SLP, SLO100, Archon, and then the JC120 for cleans. 

Still got to try out the SLO models, I would be up for trying the ownhammer stuff. It is a great bit of gear!

2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Still got to try out the SLO models, I would be up for trying the ownhammer stuff. It is a great bit of gear!

Also, I like putting the LA Studio Compressor at the end of my chain and bringing down the peak reduction to taste. Really opens up the amp models. Shoot me your email if you want some IRs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Also, I like putting the LA Studio Compressor at the end of my chain and bringing down the peak reduction to taste. Really opens up the amp models. Shoot me your email if you want some IRs

Thanks for the tip dude, I'll try that out!

• 1 month later...

Also picked up a 'project snare' this morning. It's a vintage (I think late '60s) Stewart 14x5, made in Japan. I'm gonna basically rebuild it - new lugs, hoops, heads, wires, dampener... it sounds surprisingly decent as it is, and I got it for dirt cheap (about $30 US), so it'll be a fun thing to play around with.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2019-08-05 at 11:50 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

Also picked up a 'project snare' this morning. It's a vintage (I think late '60s) Stewart 14x5, made in Japan. I'm gonna basically rebuild it - new lugs, hoops, heads, wires, dampener... it sounds surprisingly decent as it is, and I got it for dirt cheap (about $30 US), so it'll be a fun thing to play around with.

^This snare is mostly re-built, but I ended up getting another couple snares and it got put on the back-burner. Mostly I've been working on a late 1960's Olympic 1182 snare in Gold Sparkle finish. I replaced all the lugs, the hoops, throw-off, plate, wires, heads - literally stripped it down to just the shell and put all new hardware on it.

And holy shit, am I ever happy with the result. This is the most glam rock, arena rock, 70's sounding snare that I have. It's spacey and reverb-heavy yet still very 'thick' and powerful - not too bright or thin sounding, but not dull either. It sounds and looks fucking amazing. I put a 'Starfire' reflective gold batter head on it, and after some tweaking, it's finally done. This thing is a beauty!

U15ptIz.jpg

pKWJ0Pi.jpg

(before I cleaned the dust off the chrome)

fBOc2Vr.jpg

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just traded a couple crash cymbals for a 26" (!!) Paiste Giant Beat ride cymbal. It's massive and beautiful... honestly didn't think I'd ever own one of these, and I wasn't even looking to upgrade my ride cymbal, but the trade was too good a deal to pass up. That famous Paiste "shimmer" sound blasts out in full force on this Giant Beat.

Also got a Zildjian 22" Special Dry crash about a week ago, it looks and sounds mean as fuck. Super trashy and dark, but not too metal sounding. Fits in perfectly with some of my buddies Sabbath-style riffs.

I'm now completely out of space and money for cymbals, though :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, gertwim said:

Ive got a Gibson les paul studio ebony black with gold hardware from 1995, a boss katana 50 and my pedalboard is a korg tuner, carl martin overdrive, phasers, Fab delay and a boss super chorus.

Solid rig! I love the Katana