The Gear Thread

16 hours ago, AslatIE said:

My latest purchase from a few months ago. (Epiphone EJ-200)

Plays really well and sounds great, only downside is that for an acoustic, the sound level is lower than you would expect, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

IMG-20200503-230655556-HDR.jpg

Nice! I love jumbos. I have a Gibson SJ100

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. I've got the gear bug again. :lol:

I'm starting to miss having a Floyd - mostly just for the occasional fun of messing about with dive bombs and crazy vibrato. So, I suppose I can either mangle one of my guitars with a Floyd FRX, or for the same price just buy a cheap used Jackson or similar guitar with a Floyd Special variant.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:45 AM, James Bond said:

Alright. I've got the gear bug again. :lol:

I'm starting to miss having a Floyd - mostly just for the occasional fun of messing about with dive bombs and crazy vibrato. So, I suppose I can either mangle one of my guitars with a Floyd FRX, or for the same price just buy a cheap used Jackson or similar guitar with a Floyd Special variant.

Save up and get one of them new fangled Mockingbirds! I've heard nothing but good things so far.

29 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

@ZoSoRose my Helix makes me want to sell all my pedals and amps lol. I just started using HX Edit and its so much easier to use then bending down

Its that great! I love mine. Going I'm 2 years now annd my tube amp and pedals stay at my dad's so he can use them. Havent had the urge to use them once. I did use a pedal when my band was recording a few months ago. I plugged it into the Helix's loop and the amp models took it flawlessly 

Did you try the LA compressor behind the amp block yet? I usually have one behind the amp and one behind the can for my live patches. Opens up the amp imo.

PM me your email. I'll send you some good IRs (3rd party cab models)

42 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Its that great! I love mine. Going I'm 2 years now annd my tube amp and pedals stay at my dad's so he can use them. Havent had the urge to use them once. I did use a pedal when my band was recording a few months ago. I plugged it into the Helix's loop and the amp models took it flawlessly 

Did you try the LA compressor behind the amp block yet? I usually have one behind the amp and one behind the can for my live patches. Opens up the amp imo.

PM me your email. I'll send you some good IRs (3rd party cab models)

I havent used the LA Compressor on myamp block cause I  tried and dont need it. I am using the 2 paths with one having the effects and the other being a straight to output with a drive effect.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

So yeah, I bought my first Gibson, an used LP Studio Worn Cherry 2008. It was relatively cheap, and it has all the basic specs I wanted. It's not as fleshy as my old Epiphone, but who cares, right?

It will arrive later today and I'm super pumped about it.

Welcome to the family!

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Welcome to the family!

That's so beautiful. The black LP studio was my first choice, but somehow I shifted to the cherry one because it was kinda like love at 2nd sight lol.

So here's mine, properly cleaned to avoid covid shit:

EaoZxRfXkAAzAIV?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

That's so beautiful. The black LP studio was my first choice, but somehow I shifted to the cherry one because it was kinda like love at 2nd sight lol.

So here's mine, properly cleaned to avoid covid shit:

EaoZxRfXkAAzAIV?format=jpg&name=large

Nice, I have the Epiphone version of that, first decent guitar I owned! I will put the pickups from my Gibson into it one day (upgraded pickups and electrics a couple of years back on the Gibson), they are the Alnico V burstbuckers and have a chunky tone.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Well, one thing I can tell for sure: my neck and back are thankful for the weight relief in my new one. :lol:

I bet! Although I find almost any Les Paul hard on my shoulder. :lol:

I know you will put that guitar to great use.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

Hope you don't have a 78 Custom. I heard its heavier then a black hole.

12 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Welcome to the family!

Nice. I don't like the knobs though. I prefer  the top hat kind from the gold top and bursts.

10 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Hope you don't have a 78 Custom. I heard its heavier then a black hole.

Nice. I don't like the knobs though. I prefer  the top hat kind from the gold top and bursts.

I know what you mean; I wanted it all black and at the time the shop only had the black top hat ones with the silver tops, so I went with the ones on there. May get them changed for something that looks better.

19 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Nice, I have the Epiphone version of that, first decent guitar I owned! I will put the pickups from my Gibson into it one day (upgraded pickups and electrics a couple of years back on the Gibson), they are the Alnico V burstbuckers and have a chunky tone.

I know what you mean. It def sounds chunky on mine too.

I was kinda afraid about the 50s neck profile. Turned out its really comfortable to me. Somehow, I think I can play a lot cleaner now, even some high speed shit like Buckethead. Granted, I'm not a shredder.

19 hours ago, James Bond said:

Thanks bro! 

I think I will still play with it on my lap most of the times. But it's nice to have some relief when I need to stand. 

4 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I know what you mean; I wanted it all black and at the time the shop only had the black top hat ones with the silver tops, so I went with the ones on there. May get them changed for something that looks better.

I understand you want your guitar to look better. But IMO, the knobs you already have are way more ergonomic and easier to reach.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I understand you want your guitar to look better. But IMO, the knobs you already have are way more ergonomic and easier to reach.

Had a look earlier and they only cost £4 so I may buy some and see how they perform.

• Like 1

I put the old witch hat knobs on my SG as a nod to Angus Young. I tend to play with my volume rolled to 7 or 8 to clean up that high end bite that is typical of SGs, and I find the witch hats very easy to control.

My Explorer has the speed knobs (or whatever they're called) and they're fine, but I like the grip of the witch hats.

4 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I put the old witch hat knobs on my SG as a nod to Angus Young. I tend to play with my volume rolled to 7 or 8 to clean up that high end bite that is typical of SGs, and I find the witch hats very easy to control.

My Explorer has the speed knobs (or whatever they're called) and they're fine, but I like the grip of the witch hats.

33 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Had a look earlier and they only cost £4 so I may buy some and see how they perform.

Maybe it's because I'm comparing these speed knobs from the Gibson with the top hat knobs from the Epiphone. Build quality may be the real difference I felt.

7 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Maybe it's because I'm comparing these speed knobs from the Gibson with the top hat knobs from the Epiphone. Build quality may be the real difference I felt.

You wouldn't think there would be a marked difference in quality for something so trivial, but I have indeed noticed a difference. More just because the top hats on my old Slash Epiphone quite spontaneously split cleanly in half. 

I spent the extra cash on the Fender brand witch hats, more for accuracy than anything. The Fender ones just say "VOL" but any of the cheaper ones I came across either said the full word or nothing at all.

Us guitarists are a picky bunch. :lol:

• Haha 1

Im thinking about getting an Epiphone SG Pro. One of the new series that is built off of Classic Gibson specs, this model has alnico classic pro pickups with coils splitting. The 61 model with lower output pickups is also speaking to me. Either way, you dudes are getting me excited about it! :headbang:

7 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I might get a black beauty for my college graduation. But i really want the 4tus Falcon that is coming out  soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBEaQkdHxhe/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link