The Gear Thread

23 hours ago, soon said:

Im thinking about getting an Epiphone SG Pro. One of the new series that is built off of Classic Gibson specs, this model has alnico classic pro pickups with coils splitting. The 61 model with lower output pickups is also speaking to me. Either way, you dudes are getting me excited about it! :headbang:

Do you honestly like the coil-splitting sound? Do you see yourself using it?

I listened to several YouTube videos with this sound and I really didn't care much for it. I do like single coil (Hendrix is on my avatar lol), but those Les Pauls with this feature didn't sound anything like it. Not even like a Tele or anything with a P-90.

Maybe you could also try to find a similar price in some second-hand Gibson?

23 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I listened to several YouTube videos with this sound and I really didn't care much for it. I do like single coil (Hendrix is on my avatar lol), but those Les Pauls with this feature didn't sound anything like it. Not even like a Tele or anything with a P-90.

I love coil-splitting in general. I like the versatility. Great kit for a lowly Fivver rat like myself :lol: 

I agree fully that a split coil SG wont emulate a Tele or even an SG with P-90s, but in turn it has its own tones that a tele cant emulate, too. Some chicken pickin will indeed require a Tele. But I feel like it still has many uses. Including ensemble playing that is not so focused on the guitar. But also I find it works for featured tones like a clean palm-muted strat Chic type riffs - and that is in a lot of pop music too. And its a great option to go 'one guitar' for any time you need to haul gear, for songwriting/rehearsing and for demoing/preproduction, too!

That said my interest in this guitar is in no small part to get towards a Garcia tone. So thats why I might go for the 61 instead. Garcia played SGs for a bit for that bell tone. And he also used single coil and blended pickup configurations throughout his career. The pro seems to provide it all, plus the beefier modern tone that sounds natural to me.

But heres the rub - I use coil splitting in my personal playing style as well, much like how Slash works his toggle during solos. I mean, I got the idea from Slash. Actually one way I use it is to go from humbucker (my go to) to a really bratty, hissy, single could tone for accenting lines in a solo. Its a very Hendrix inspired thing! Like at the peak of a solo you kick on some phase or flange with the single coil and it just sounds out of control, like Hendrix. And just for a general use tone, I find that when Im using it to acheive a convincing single coil tone that I actually use one split pickup combined with a humbucker. It gives the colour while maintaining that guitars individual tone, imho.

Ill have to go back and watch some more reviews though since you are speaking to this guitars split coil tone specifically. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

I love coil-splitting in general. I like the versatility. Great kit for a lowly Fivver rat like myself :lol: 

I agree fully that a split coil SG wont emulate a Tele or even an SG with P-90s, but in turn it has its own tones that a tele cant emulate, too. Some chicken pickin will indeed require a Tele. But I feel like it still has many uses. Including ensemble playing that is not so focused on the guitar. But also I find it works for featured tones like a clean palm-muted strat Chic type riffs - and that is in a lot of pop music too. And its a great option to go 'one guitar' for any time you need to haul gear, for songwriting/rehearsing and for demoing/preproduction, too!

That said my interest in this guitar is in no small part to get towards a Garcia tone. So thats why I might go for the 61 instead. Garcia played SGs for a bit for that bell tone. And he also used single coil and blended pickup configurations throughout his career. The pro seems to provide it all, plus the beefier modern tone that sounds natural to me.

But heres the rub - I use coil splitting in my personal playing style as well, much like how Slash works his toggle during solos. I mean, I got the idea from Slash. Actually one way I use it is to go from humbucker (my go to) to a really bratty, hissy, single could tone for accenting lines in a solo. Its a very Hendrix inspired thing! Like at the peak of a solo you kick on some phase or flange with the single coil and it just sounds out of control, like Hendrix. And just for a general use tone, I find that when Im using it to acheive a convincing single coil tone that I actually use one split pickup combined with a humbucker. It gives the colour while maintaining that guitars individual tone, imho.

Ill have to go back and watch some more reviews though since you are speaking to this guitars split coil tone specifically. Thanks!

Well, if it suits you, go ahead :)

It's your taste, there's no right or wrong. It's just a matter of preference at the end of the day.

But I can understand how you want to use it. I was thinking about the same when I was searching for a new guitar (I considered buying the 2020 Epiphone LP, but went for the used Gibson instead). 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Well, if it suits you, go ahead :)

It's your taste, there's no right or wrong. It's just a matter of preference at the end of the day.

But I can understand how you want to use it. I was thinking about the same when I was searching for a new guitar (I considered buying the 2020 Epiphone LP, but went for the used Gibson instead). 

Hey man, I hope I didn’t come across as like the ‘defender of split coils’. :lol: sorry if I did - I just like them for that many reasons and am overly wordy at the best of times!

I believe that I’ve seen you and your Paul in action so I know for sure that you made the right choice! :headbang:And I’m definitely gonna check out more video reviews that you mentioned. I could definitely have my mind changed by a player as accomplished as yourself.

Ive got Gibson dreams like the next guy. But in this instance this is a Garcia dream that just so happens to involve and epiphone, lol. (I do love slashes Gibson w/ P-90s tone of LTD so if I could get that too, I wouldn’t mind - but this is all about Jerry! Lol)

Speaking of your very cool Better vid, sometimes Robins tone had a nearly single coil type tone on that solo - at least to my ears. I think it’s the boutique sounding compressor he uses and that he is using humbuckers, but I swear it’s only so far removed from a split coil tone. Maybe I’m way off on that though? Do you know what I mean about his tone in the solo of Better? It’s very precise and almost ‘glassy’ on the single note lines? You nailed that cover btw.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Hey man, I hope I didn’t come across as like the ‘defender of split coils’. :lol: sorry if I did - I just like them for that many reasons and am overly wordy at the best of times!

I believe that I’ve seen you and your Paul in action so I know for sure that you made the right choice! :headbang:And I’m definitely gonna check out more video reviews that you mentioned. I could definitely have my mind changed by a player as accomplished as yourself.

Ive got Gibson dreams like the next guy. But in this instance this is a Garcia dream that just so happens to involve and epiphone, lol. (I do love slashes Gibson w/ P-90s tone of LTD so if I could get that too, I wouldn’t mind - but this is all about Jerry! Lol)

Speaking of your very cool Better vid, sometimes Robins tone had a nearly single coil type tone on that solo - at least to my ears. I think it’s the boutique sounding compressor he uses and that he is using humbuckers, but I swear it’s only so far removed from a split coil tone. Maybe I’m way off on that though? Do you know what I mean about his tone in the solo of Better? It’s very precise and almost ‘glassy’ on the single note lines? You nailed that cover btw.

I was thinking about getting the Coil tap in the next guitar I get just for recording purposes do you recomend?

13 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I was thinking about getting the Coil tap in the next guitar I get just for recording purposes do you recomend?

I go to my BC Rich Eagle as a main recording guitar for its coil tapping functions. For the tones that achieves. And to toggle around different tones within a single performance like Slash and Billy Corrigan do. Other coil tapping guitars are more for everything up until the red lights on. 

I tend to borrow and trade guitars with a buddy for sessions. I’ll use a coil tap to achieve a fender sound up until then and then borrow his tele if some serious recording is going down. He also loves to borrow my Eagle for its tones.

For demoing, home recording and any like fivver type recording work I would highly recommend coil tapping. It’s great for creativity as well as having a variety of tones at your disposal. 

Coil tapping really does highlight how much things like neck, wood and bridges impact tone though, which is part of what @Voodoochild is making great points about. It all factors in.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, soon said:

I go to my BC Rich Eagle as a main recording guitar for its coil tapping functions. For the tones that achieves. And to toggle around different tones within a single performance like Slash and Billy Corrigan do. Other coil tapping guitars are more for everything up until the red lights on. 

I tend to borrow and trade guitars with a buddy for sessions. I’ll use a coil tap to achieve a fender sound up until then and then borrow his tele if some serious recording is going down. He also loves to borrow my Eagle for its tones.

For demoing, home recording and any like fivver type recording work I would highly recommend coil tapping. It’s great for creativity as well as having a variety of tones at your disposal. 

Coil tapping really does highlight how much things like neck, wood and bridges impact tone though, which is part of what @Voodoochild is making great points about. It all factors in.

Nice.  The next guitar I definitely get will be the new 4tus Falcon. I already have a Strat and  a Les Paul so I want to get a hollowbody filterton

• Like 1

19 hours ago, soon said:

haha don't worry, I didnt take it as you were defending it. Maybe it was my fault, English is def not my 1st language. I'm not too familiar with Jerry Garcia and Grateful Dead, but his guitar is really something unique from what I can tell. https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/jerry-garcias-tiger-and-rosebud-look-last-guitars-he-played-onstage

About Better - I have no idea how Robin managed to get his tone, but I get what you say. I believe his glassy sound is even more noticeable on his rhythm parts in There Was A Time's bridge and Prostitute. Could be as you said, the compressor, or maybe some very aggressive EQ. Never crossed my mind as it was a split coil tone, but as far as I know, his guitars didn't have this feature. He did swap the tone knobs for a master tone (that was high in the mid frequencies and sounded almost like a wah-wah. You can hear him playing with it on his solos before SCOM from the NA tour 2006 or maybe just the Australia/Japan mini tour in 2007) and the pickup switcher. 

And hey, thank you. I tried my best with that Better video. I admit is far beyond what I really can do, so I took some shortcuts in the Buckethead's arpeggio hell. Also, tried to get both his tone and Robins in a single take, which was kinda hard (I mostly just used more distortion than normal). I just don't understand why so many Buckethead fans just ignore his GNR work and never cover this song properly. I tried to watch every single YouTube video I could find to see if there was someone playing his parts, but most of the videos were just people messing around and only focusing on Robin's solo. That's why I recorded actually. If it helps someone to learn how to play the song, it's good enough. :) 

I didn't record anything with my new guitar yet, I've been working a lot this week. I actually did some tests messing around with the EQ on my amp and Garageband. I think it's funny how people ask me about my Epiphone's tone on YouTube, because all I use is the Boss Katana Mini connected through an old 2011 iRig cable to my Mac. It's really a subpar gear in this sense, but I try to make it sound as good as I possibly can.

--

You can hear the coil tap features in the 2020 Epi SG here:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

About Better - I have no idea how Robin managed to get his tone, but I get what you say. I believe his glassy sound is even more noticeable on his rhythm parts in There Was A Time's bridge and Prostitute. Could be as you said, the compressor, or maybe some very aggressive EQ. Never crossed my mind as it was a split coil tone, but as far as I know, his guitars didn't have this feature. He did swap the tone knobs for a master tone (that was high in the mid frequencies and sounded almost like a wah-wah. You can hear him playing with it on his solos before SCOM from the NA tour 2006 or maybe just the Australia/Japan mini tour in 2007) and the pickup switcher. 

I think they used some filter pedals?  I dont think TWAT is a Wah its probably a mutron with delay and reverb.

• Like 1

haha don't worry, I didnt take it as you were defending it. Maybe it was my fault, English is def not my 1st language. I'm not too familiar with Jerry Garcia and Grateful Dead, but his guitar is really something unique from what I can tell. https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/jerry-garcias-tiger-and-rosebud-look-last-guitars-he-played-onstage

Very cool! Thanks for this! Im so into his tone lately and its awesome to read up about his custom guitars. Ill be pouring over these specs all day!

Im watching a docuseries on the Dead and on a recent episode they talked about how much of their gear was custom. They invented a, like, 50 foot stack of speakers called the wall of sound. It was designed by the guy who is credited with making all the acid taken in the psychedelic era in the US - "The Bear." It even had quadrophonic sound! The bassist had a bunch of switches on his guitar to send certain strings or pickups to various places in the speaker towers - and even bounce his playing around behind the audience!! haha, bonkers! But they only used it for a short time because they had to put it up and down piece by piece in those days. The band temporarily broke up due to the stresses they put themselves under in that era, such as the maintenance of the Wall of Sound.

But yeah, those guitars tones are rather unique! Im hoping the SG with coil tapping can hint at it. Plus, his earlier SG flirtations. His customs look heavy though. Thats the main hand up I have so far, is that SG are fairly light.

Too cool! I didnt know about the replaced tone pot. Neat. Im gonna check out some of those performances to see it in action! :headbang:

And hey, thank you. I tried my best with that Better video. I admit is far beyond what I really can do, so I took some shortcuts in the Buckethead's arpeggio hell. Also, tried to get both his tone and Robins in a single take, which was kinda hard (I mostly just used more distortion than normal). I just don't understand why so many Buckethead fans just ignore his GNR work and never cover this song properly. I tried to watch every single YouTube video I could find to see if there was someone playing his parts, but most of the videos were just people messing around and only focusing on Robin's solo. That's why I recorded actually. If it helps someone to learn how to play the song, it's good enough. :) 

It helped me. :) I thought the tone worked to represent both parts.

I would love to rock arpeggios and sweep picking like Bucket does. And sadly thats my weakest area of playing. You are light years ahead of me there.

Ohh, that was your Epiphone in the vid, my mistake. Sounded great to me!

You can hear the coil tap features in the 2020 Epi SG here:

Y'know what? I think its possible that we are speaking of two similar but different models?

The SG Pro G-400 is what had my attention. Im not sure if that model is now called SG Muse? I know that the model Im interested in doesn't have the phase reversal function (in addition to the coil tapping) but that could be an addition to the same series? The Pro also has rosewood finger board because its a replica of late 60s Gibson specs. In the video they say the Muse features a sustainable wood, Laurel, for the fret board. Again, maybe the series has advanced and changed name though? They are very similar with even the Alnico Pro pickups?

Is this basically the same as Muse? https://www.long-mcquade.com/20784/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Epiphone/SG-G-400-Pro-Electric-Guitar---Cherry.htm

32 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I think they used some filter pedals?  I dont think TWAT is a Wah its probably a mutron with delay and reverb.

Jerry Garcia used a Mutron envelope filter too! :headbang:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, soon said:

Y'know what? I think its possible that we are speaking of two similar but different models?

The SG Pro G-400 is what had my attention. Im not sure if that model is now called SG Muse? I know that the model Im interested in doesn't have the phase reversal function (in addition to the coil tapping) but that could be an addition to the same series? The Pro also has rosewood finger board because its a replica of late 60s Gibson specs. In the video they say the Muse features a sustainable wood, Laurel, for the fret board. Again, maybe the series has advanced and changed name though? They are very similar with even the Alnico Pro pickups?

Is this basically the same as Muse? https://www.long-mcquade.com/20784/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Epiphone/SG-G-400-Pro-Electric-Guitar---Cherry.htm

Sorry, I think you're right. I mistook the video (I was actually searching for the SG with maestro vibrola, but that wasn't the same either). I believe the now equivalent to the G-400 is this?

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIJ1X839/SG-Standard/Heritage-Cherry

"The Epiphone SG Standard from the new Inspired by Gibson Collection, recreates the legendary 1960s classic that powered the first generation of hard rock and heavy metal bands including The Who, Cream, AC/DC, and Black Sabbath. The guitar features the historic SG profile with “batwing” pickguard, a pair of Epiphone's Alnico Classic PRO™ humbuckers, and 18:1 ratio Epiphone Deluxe Tuners. This Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Original model also has the Kalamazoo headstock, rolled neck for a comfortable feel, GraphTech® NuBone™ nut, era-appropriate wiring, and CTS pots."

The other traditional SG is the 61, but that one has ProBucker humbuckers and it's about $100 more.

Notice how the headstock from the 2020 is in the new kalamazoo style, if that matters for you.

20 minutes ago, soon said:

Very cool! Thanks for this! Im so into his tone lately and its awesome to read up about his custom guitars. Ill be pouring over these specs all day!

Im watching a docuseries on the Dead and on a recent episode they talked about how much of their gear was custom. They invented a, like, 50 foot stack of speakers called the wall of sound. It was designed by the guy who is credited with making all the acid taken in the psychedelic era in the US - "The Bear." It even had quadrophonic sound! The bassist had a bunch of switches on his guitar to send certain strings or pickups to various places in the speaker towers - and even bounce his playing around behind the audience!! haha, bonkers! But they only used it for a short time because they had to put it up and down piece by piece in those days. The band temporarily broke up due to the stresses they put themselves under in that era, such as the maintenance of the Wall of Sound.

But yeah, those guitars tones are rather unique! Im hoping the SG with coil tapping can hint at it. Plus, his earlier SG flirtations. His customs look heavy though. Thats the main hand up I have so far, is that SG are fairly light.

That's crazy haha. I mean, this sounds like it could be rather expansive even for these days. No wonder the idea came from the acid guy lol

About the weight: I am now a total believer in the weight relief. I have spinal problems, I can't play standing for much time with my original Epi. I just love how light the new one is.

23 minutes ago, soon said:

It helped me. :) I thought the tone worked to represent both parts.

I would love to rock arpeggios and sweep picking like Bucket does. And sadly thats my weakest area of playing. You are light years ahead of me there.

Ohh, that was your Epiphone in the vid, my mistake. Sounded great to me!

That's so nice to hear! I would love to keep doing those with the other Chinese songs (I recorded TWAT too, but thats easy to find someone else playing better than me on YouTube). I was trying Catcher, but I just didnt care that much about Bumble's solos. I even recorded the first one on Instagram, but you know, it's not that fun to play it. Riad would be a blast, the song has a really cool riff and lead in the chorus, but BBF's main solo with a fretless kinda keep me from even trying.

Try to play the sweep picking with a lighter approach. I'm not that great either, but before when I tried Better, I didn't even tried. 

1 hour ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I actually thought about the envelope filter, I think I read someone talking about it. But I really don't know much about this, I'm gonna do some research about it. :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Sorry, I think you're right. I mistook the video (I was actually searching for the SG with maestro vibrola, but that wasn't the same either). I believe the now equivalent to the G-400 is this?

"The Epiphone SG Standard from the new Inspired by Gibson Collection, recreates the legendary 1960s classic that powered the first generation of hard rock and heavy metal bands including The Who, Cream, AC/DC, and Black Sabbath. The guitar features the historic SG profile with “batwing” pickguard, a pair of Epiphone's Alnico Classic PRO™ humbuckers, and 18:1 ratio Epiphone Deluxe Tuners. This Epiphone Inspired by Gibson Original model also has the Kalamazoo headstock, rolled neck for a comfortable feel, GraphTech® NuBone™ nut, era-appropriate wiring, and CTS pots."

The other traditional SG is the 61, but that one has ProBucker humbuckers and it's about $100 more.

Notice how the headstock from the 2020 is in the new kalamazoo style, if that matters for you.

That's crazy haha. I mean, this sounds like it could be rather expansive even for these days. No wonder the idea came from the acid guy lol

About the weight: I am now a total believer in the weight relief. I have spinal problems, I can't play standing for much time with my original Epi. I just love how light the new one is.

That's so nice to hear! I would love to keep doing those with the other Chinese songs (I recorded TWAT too, but thats easy to find someone else playing better than me on YouTube). I was trying Catcher, but I just didnt care that much about Bumble's solos. I even recorded the first one on Instagram, but you know, it's not that fun to play it. Riad would be a blast, the song has a really cool riff and lead in the chorus, but BBF's main solo with a fretless kinda keep me from even trying.

Try to play the sweep picking with a lighter approach. I'm not that great either, but before when I tried Better, I didn't even tried. 

I actually thought about the envelope filter, I think I read someone talking about it. But I really don't know much about this, I'm gonna do some research about it. :)

Yeah I have to listen to the solo but it definitely sounds like a  filter type of thing. Slash uses a Wah though when he plays the TWAT solo

1 minute ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Yeah I have to listen to the solo but it definitely sounds like a  filter type of thing. Slash uses a Wah though when he plays the TWAT solo

From what I can tell, Robin used the envelope filter (not sure if Mutron) for the Better intro. He also used some kind of envelope on his solo before SCOM in the Inland Invasion gig in 2006 (that solo was really different from every other solo he played back then). I can't post the YouTube link and I'm not even sure if it's still there, though.

But from what I heard in this video below, I'm not sure how he could manage to such a smooth and not overly wide sound for TWAT on the record. Actually, I was talking about his rhythm guitar tone for the bridge ("lonely tear drops..") part. His main solo sounds like the regular lead tone, which sounds at the same time clean but very dirty - I mean,  it sounds "glassy" as Soon said. The lead guitar on the "I would do anything for you" sounds more like using an envelope to me. I tried to mimic it using the wah locked in a semi-open position, but I don't think that sounded good at all. You can take a listen here.

But I know Robin didn't use the wah for that part, I meant he had this wah-sound adjustable on his guitar instead of the neck pickup tone.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Right on. It easy to get them blended in out minds/searches when they are so similar. And Im happy to get shown the Muse video becasue the phase reversal function - the Peter Green function as they called it - is actually something that I think could help me achieve Jerry tones too. Lots to consider, so this is great.

Thanks so much for this link and info! :headbang:This standard is another enticing offering, imho. Im not as into the batwing pickgaurd - its actually really cool but I think the other is even cooler. Or if Im being complete honest, I dont think I can live up to flashy-looking guitars, lol.

I bet the 61 is similar to what jerry played early on, but I am way more into modern sounding pickups, personally. Something I might have to decide to go one way or the other with in this case, though.

Yeah that headstock does kinda give it that prestige, being more similar to a Gibson outline. To me it makes a difference for sure!

(sidenote, since we are Guns fans, Jerry also played a Travis Bean which Slash used on Bad Obsession)

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

This tip to keep it lighter touch has already opened up new doors for me. Thanks!!! To me, my urge has been to really hit them hard. Thinking I needed to in order to articulate the notes more. But I instantly see who its all about the lighter touch!

I hope to see a Riad! Would be killer! Im with you on Catcher... Ive just never been especially enthusiastic about learning those leads.

The Mutron video you posted just above features the riff from a Grateful Dead tune - so Im being spoiled in this thread about my Dead fandom and related guitar tone pursuits!:dance:

21 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

From what I can tell, Robin used the envelope filter (not sure if Mutron) for the Better intro. He also used some kind of envelope on his solo before SCOM in the Inland Invasion gig in 2006 (that solo was really different from every other solo he played back then). I can't post the YouTube link and I'm not even sure if it's still there, though.

But from what I heard in this video below, I'm not sure how he could manage to such a smooth and not overly wide sound for TWAT on the record. Actually, I was talking about his rhythm guitar tone for the bridge ("lonely tear drops..") part. His main solo sounds like the regular lead tone, which sounds at the same time clean but very dirty - I mean,  it sounds "glassy" as Soon said. The lead guitar on the "I would do anything for you" sounds more like using an envelope to me. I tried to mimic it using the wah locked in a semi-open position, but I don't think that sounded good at all. You can take a listen here.

But I know Robin didn't use the wah for that part, I meant he had this wah-sound adjustable on his guitar instead of the neck pickup tone.  

The other guitarist in my band has a large mutron. Sounds good

• Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 10:14 AM, Voodoochild said:

I use my Les Paul's cool splitting all the time. It adds a ton of versitility to the guitar. 

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I use my Les Paul's cool splitting all the time. It adds a ton of versitility to the guitar. 

This thread convinced me I need a coit tap for my next guitar!

My current main Helix rig is "wired in parallel" 

JTM45(For bass and loudness)

Super Lead Plexi(For Brightness, Mid and Crunch)

Chrome Wah

Rochester Comp

Kinky Boost

Heavy Distortion,

Klon

Singal to Path 2A

Chorus

Phaser

Vintage Digital Delay

Transistor Tape Delay

Plate Verb

Glitz Verb

Marshall 1960 Cab 4x12 with a Ribbon Mic I think

Celestion Greenback 4x12 

To Multi Out. I will try to upload a screenshot  when I get the chance. 

Has anyone tried the schaffer replica that Fortus and Angus use?

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

That's good. Like I said, all it matters is your personal taste and what you like. :)

Admittedly, I wanted a single coil for playing Hendrix stuff, not my own stuff. 

20 hours ago, soon said:

Right on. It easy to get them blended in out minds/searches when they are so similar. And Im happy to get shown the Muse video becasue the phase reversal function - the Peter Green function as they called it - is actually something that I think could help me achieve Jerry tones too. Lots to consider, so this is great.

Thanks so much for this link and info! :headbang:This standard is another enticing offering, imho. Im not as into the batwing pickgaurd - its actually really cool but I think the other is even cooler. Or if Im being complete honest, I dont think I can live up to flashy-looking guitars, lol.

I bet the 61 is similar to what jerry played early on, but I am way more into modern sounding pickups, personally. Something I might have to decide to go one way or the other with in this case, though.

Yeah that headstock does kinda give it that prestige, being more similar to a Gibson outline. To me it makes a difference for sure!

(sidenote, since we are Guns fans, Jerry also played a Travis Bean which Slash used on Bad Obsession)

I bet those muse SG gets on sale from time to time. Not sure if you like how it looks, though. 

You don't have to limit yourself. Don't know for how long you play, but a better guitar is always inspiring and actually make you pursuit the level you want to achieve. It didn't work for me because I'm still not Buckethead lol I'm not even an Ashba hahaha

I just uploaded a Rocket Queen cover with my new guitar on YouTube.

I love that Travis Bean. Wish this was still a thing with the current lineup.

20 hours ago, soon said:

This tip to keep it lighter touch has already opened up new doors for me. Thanks!!! To me, my urge has been to really hit them hard. Thinking I needed to in order to articulate the notes more. But I instantly see who its all about the lighter touch!

I hope to see a Riad! Would be killer! Im with you on Catcher... Ive just never been especially enthusiastic about learning those leads.

Not sure if I can try Riad. Like I said, this is very tough to play. 

20 hours ago, soon said:

The Mutron video you posted just above features the riff from a Grateful Dead tune - so Im being spoiled in this thread about my Dead fandom and related guitar tone pursuits!:dance:

Not really my cup of tea, but the guitar is awesome indeed. Very cool to hear the mutron in action. :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I bet those muse SG gets on sale from time to time. Not sure if you like how it looks, though. 

You don't have to limit yourself. Don't know for how long you play, but a better guitar is always inspiring and actually make you pursuit the level you want to achieve. It didn't work for me because I'm still not Buckethead lol I'm not even an Ashba hahaha

I just uploaded a Rocket Queen cover with my new guitar on YouTube.

Ill keep an eye out, good tip. Yeah, for SGs so far Im really just into the classic black and cherries.

I feel like I'm in a rut and a new guitar could be just the thing. Your Paul is gorgeous! I love the black pick guard - looks cool af. I also really like your strap!

Great cover! Just watched RQ and PC. Youre crushing it, dude :headbang:Not only are you better than Ashba (lol), your RQ is better then the NITL Selects they just released! 

5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Not really my cup of tea, but the guitar is awesome indeed. Very cool to hear the mutron in action. :D

Yeah if it wasnt in the pedal vid and I was gonna share a track it would be a different one, I get you. Reminds me though, theres Grateful Dead lore that Hendrix and Dead were in town at the same time and Hendrix came by their show to sit in and jam with them. Apparently he stood at the side of the stage with his guitar on, ready to go, for the entire show. And they just never called him on. Can you imagine that?! What could have been!

Yeah, Jerrys Mutron is thought of very fondly in the Deadhead community. He really did have a way with it!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

Your Paul is gorgeous! I love the black pick guard - looks cool af. I also really like your strap!

Great cover! Just watched RQ and PC. Youre crushing it, dude :headbang:Not only are you better than Ashba (lol), your RQ is better then the NITL Selects they just released! 

Haha thank you. Not sure about being better, but I tried to my best to be faithful.

3 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah if it wasnt in the pedal vid and I was gonna share a track it would be a different one, I get you. Reminds me though, theres Grateful Dead lore that Hendrix and Dead were in town at the same time and Hendrix came by their show to sit in and jam with them. Apparently he stood at the side of the stage with his guitar on, ready to go, for the entire show. And they just never called him on. Can you imagine that?! What could have been!

Yeah, Jerrys Mutron is thought of very fondly in the Deadhead community. He really did have a way with it!

This would be awesome. I can't imagine getting someone like Hendrix to play with me and not calling him hahahaha

About the Robin tone, I tried hard to watch his interview here, but damn, this very very awkward. I couldn't get through more than 1 min

• Like 1

On June 20, 2020 at 10:52 PM, Voodoochild said:

Haha thank you. Not sure about being better, but I tried to my best to be faithful.

This would be awesome. I can't imagine getting someone like Hendrix to play with me and not calling him hahahaha

About the Robin tone, I tried hard to watch his interview here, but damn, this very very awkward. I couldn't get through more than 1 min

I cant seem to get through this vid either! lol. Id prolly be a bit tongue tied around that shorty too, though.

I bet his unique personality contributes a lot to his unique tones, too.

• Haha 1

Has anyone had the chance to try out a Boss Waza Air? Or just have any thoughts on it? Its a wireless virtual rig contained in the headphones and app. Oh, and its binaural which means that you can design a virtual space - you can have your amp 'behind you' and if you turn to look at it, the sound changes like it would irl.

The super quick intro:

The more in depth overview:

• Like 1