Home Theaters

So, for all of the audio/picture savvy people on the board, what are your home theater set ups like?

I don't feel like taking a picture of mine right now, but this is what is consists of, as of now (still building on):

- Sony 55" 3D LED-LCD HDTV

- Denon 630W 7.1 Channel Receiver

- PS3

- Two Definitve Technology BP-8060 Floorstanding Speakers

I'll post a picture at another time.

So, what about you guys? :)

Pictures would be awesome!

edit: before it starts, i am not spoiled. i have paid for all of these things myself at my discounted price. so get fucked.

Edited by Black Sabbath

46" Samsung C7700 3DTV

image_actu_prev_0122185805.jpg

Playstation 3

389209.jpg

Samsung HT-C6730 7.1 surround sound system.

Samsung_HTC6730W.jpg

I might post a picture after I cleaned my livingroom some day ;)

The PS3 is of the old kind, that can still play PS2 games. Not a feature I use alot, but it's nice to have available.

very nice. what makes you think you'll be getting home theater things for wedding gifts, though? :lol:

Well I know for a fact that one of my friends is getting me Sony SSF-5000 speakers.

The money/gifts will be a good starting point anway. This summer I plan on bringing the full entertainemnt experience to my apartment. With completion expected by christmas time.

Just have to decide if I want to bother with 3D or not

very nice. what makes you think you'll be getting home theater things for wedding gifts, though? :lol:

Well I know for a fact that one of my friends is getting me Sony SSF-5000 speakers.

The money/gifts will be a good starting point anway. This summer I plan on bringing the full entertainemnt experience to my apartment. With completion expected by christmas time.

I'm a Sony guy through and through, but if you're looking to go all out with your home theater entertainment, get some B&W or MartinLogan speakers.

But, for a gift, still not bad :lol:

And yes, you do want to bother with 3D.

I'm a Sony guy through and through, but if you're looking to go all out with your home theater entertainment, get some B&W or MartinLogan speakers.

But, for a gift, still not bad :lol:

And yes, you do want to bother with 3D.

You're on the money with the Martin Logan spekers. I can't go a grand, well I could but I'd never hear the end of it, but 600 is not bad at all. The sony speakers will eventually end up in the bedroom. As I said, it's just a starting point.

You seems to be a 3D guy, I'm not buying it.

63" Samsung Plasma

Yamaha Receiver

Polk Tsi Towers and Bookshelves.

No Blu-ray as of yet, but Toshiba makes a mean up-converter.

What are you waiting for?! Get that blu-ray player and buy Fight Club and you'll be set.

I agree u have a monster tv and good sound system. Get the blu ray! Dvd converter is good, but blu ray is tru hd and sound.

63" Samsung Plasma

Yamaha Receiver

What are you waiting for?! Get that blu-ray player and buy Fight Club and you'll be set.

I agree u have a monster tv and good sound system. Get the blu ray! Dvd converter is good, but blu ray is tru hd and sound.

Exactly. Though, once you start to see how good most of them look and sound, buying them will be a guilty pleasure :lol:

Trust me, though, Fight Club needs to be in your first five purchases. It looks fantastic on blu-ray.

63" Samsung Plasma

Yamaha Receiver

Exactly. Though, once you start to see how good most of them look and sound, buying them will be a guilty pleasure :lol:

Trust me, though, Fight Club needs to be in your first five purchases. It looks fantastic on blu-ray.

Their is a saying, once you go black you wont go back. My saying is, once you go blue you will know thats its true. Represent!

Edited by batman007

I don't have much of a home theater system - maybe someday soon. Got my Oppo BDP-93 hooked up to my Dell 24" widescreen (it's also my PC monitor). And from there a cable runs to my Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers. Actually they are great as far as PC speakers go. So long as only one or two people are watching it's fine, but again, not really a proper home theater. But it is high def and movies certainly look good.

I've spent more on two channel audio. Got speakers, an integrated amp, and a standalone CD player.

Yeah, Sony isn't really known for making great audio gear. I prefer to go with companies that specialize in it. Though Sony are certainly capable if they choose to make something decent. B&W and Martin Logan are two excellent options...but there are sooooooo many others. PSB, Paradigm, Tannoy, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, Quad, Totem, plus literally dozens of other companies. If you buy used (gotta be careful) you usually get half off MSRP. It makes buying this stuff pretty affordable. Or buy from an actual store that is selling some of their demo gear, or closing out a line that is about to be replaced with an updated design. You'll get good value and also a warranty. Many stores also carry used components if you'd rather not buy off of just anyone. There isn't much reason why a person can't find a great pair of floorstanders, with real wood veneer, for a little over $500.

Edited by KBear