Home Theaters

I got a Toshiba 50" LCD. with a 5.1 Sony Surround sound. I don't buy Blu-Ray, and don't ever intend to, so I have no need to upgrade to 7.1

Blu-Ray is alot better then DVD, both on picture and sound. I rarely buy DVDs anymore.

63" Samsung Plasma

Yamaha Receiver

Polk Tsi Towers and Bookshelves.

No Blu-ray as of yet, but Toshiba makes a mean up-converter.

What are you waiting for?! Get that blu-ray player and buy Fight Club and you'll be set.

I agree u have a monster tv and good sound system. Get the blu ray! Dvd converter is good, but blu ray is tru hd and sound.

Exactly. Though, once you start to see how good most of them look and sound, buying them will be a guilty pleasure :lol:

Trust me, though, Fight Club needs to be in your first five purchases. It looks fantastic on blu-ray.

I have Fight Club on DVD. Fuck this "replacing my collection" shit.

And what...DTS or Dolby 5.1 aren't HD sound. Don't give me the spiel about 7.1 either, most movies don't have a 7.1 mix.

I am admittedly thinking about getting a PS3, just for the blu-ray and media center, but my TV reads hard drives and has a media center built in.

63" Samsung Plasma

Yamaha Receiver

Polk Tsi Towers and Bookshelves.

No Blu-ray as of yet, but Toshiba makes a mean up-converter.

What are you waiting for?! Get that blu-ray player and buy Fight Club and you'll be set.

I agree u have a monster tv and good sound system. Get the blu ray! Dvd converter is good, but blu ray is tru hd and sound.

Exactly. Though, once you start to see how good most of them look and sound, buying them will be a guilty pleasure :lol:

Trust me, though, Fight Club needs to be in your first five purchases. It looks fantastic on blu-ray.

I have Fight Club on DVD. Fuck this "replacing my collection" shit.

And what...DTS or Dolby 5.1 aren't HD sound. Don't give me the spiel about 7.1 either, most movies don't have a 7.1 mix.

I am admittedly thinking about getting a PS3, just for the blu-ray and media center, but my TV reads hard drives and has a media center built in.

You don't understand. With the size and quality of your TV, you are dumb if you don't get blu-rays. Fight Club is one of the best "restored" blu's I have. Replace your collection, fag. Or at least Fight Club.

Also, a lot of movies now have the TrueHD sound.

I think Oppo is the best value for a standalone player. Of course, a PS3 will do things a standalone player can't.

Right now all i have is a panasonic g20 , ps3, and xbox.

What would be a nice sounding surround sound for an apartment that wont wake up the whole building?

That's tough to say, the combinations are nearly limitless. What do you want to spend? On the low end you have home theater in a box solutions, if you spend a bit more you buy the pieces separately but can get much better quality.

Tough in an apartment to prevent sound from carrying to the neighbors though. Some people may insist you need a subwoofer, I actually tend to disagree. A bookshelf speaker with a 6.5" driver can put out a surprising amount of good quality bass in a smallish sized room. You can always buy a sub later, in any case.

Edited by KBear

I think Oppo is the best value for a standalone player. Of course, a PS3 will do things a standalone player can't.

What would be a nice sounding surround sound for an apartment that wont wake up the whole building?

That's tough to say, the combinations are nearly limitless. What do you want to spend? On the low end you have home theater in a box solutions, if you spend a bit more you buy the pieces separately but can get much better quality.

Tough in an apartment to prevent sound from carrying to the neighbors though. Some people may insist you need a subwoofer, I actually tend to disagree. A bookshelf speaker with a 6.5" driver can put out a surprising amount of good quality bass in a smallish sized room. You can always buy a sub later, in any case.

Im looking to spend about $1,000. Not sure if thats a good amount or not. But I really like the look of the floor standing speakers but alot of them I see are ungodly expensive. wireless is a must, i freakin hate wires.

Edited by pugachev

Depends if you're looking for one with internet connectable capabilities, Netflix, Pandora, etc.

But by that point, I would just recommend a PS3. :shrugs:

No inter connection or anything just the cheapest piece of crap that plays a blu ray. Maybe blu ray is too good for that to exist. I got a DVD player for 30 dollars.

I got a Toshiba 50" LCD. with a 5.1 Sony Surround sound. I don't buy Blu-Ray, and don't ever intend to, so I have no need to upgrade to 7.1

Blu-Ray is alot better then DVD, both on picture and sound. I rarely buy DVDs anymore.

I have 1200+ DVDs. Blu-Ray can get fucked if it thinks I'm buying them all again.

I have 1200+ DVDs. Blu-Ray can get fucked if it thinks I'm buying them all again.

Well obviously replacing all of those DVDs would be ridiculous, but I don't think it's crazy at all to replace some of your favorites that will obviously look and sound better on blu-ray. :shrugs:

my fear is that after i buy all the blu rays they'll change the format again. diamond disc will come out and ill have to buy them all again. which i kind of have already from vhs to dvd. i guess progress is a comfortable disease.

I think about that sometimes too, but I figure, right now, quality of picture is amazing on the things out now, and if/when they upgrade everything, it'll take awhile to catch on, just like blu-ray did. But I think blu-rays are so big now, they aren't going to worry about creating a new format anytime soon. :shrugs:

not for a few years at least. dvd isn't completely dead yet but the prices are coming down. i can see myself buy a couple blu rays. like apocalypse now and pulp fiction. but to rebuy everything i just don't have the enthusiasm.

Im looking to spend about $1,000. Not sure if thats a good amount or not. But I really like the look of the floor standing speakers but alot of them I see are ungodly expensive. wireless is a must, i freakin hate wires.

I don't know anything about wireless. I run wires as I know they offer more reliable performance. This article seems like a good overview of wireless, with some helpful comments as well: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10354647-47.html I would think the biggest headache with wires is running them to the surround speakers. I personally don't think surround speakers are all that important, but many people will want them. You can always get the best fronts (and maybe center) you can afford now, and then buy surrrounds later. Frankly, the two front speakers matter way more than the others, but if you opt for a center you will almost always want a proper match - a center that is a poor match will stick out.. Two good speakers will make it seem like voices are coming from in between, and it will also sound like many other sounds are coming from the outside of the speakers. Don't get me wrong, 5.1 or 7.1 can be cool, but it's like the gravy, while the front speakers are the meat and potatoes.

You can get decent floorstanders for $500, like the Monitor Audio BR5. Saturday Audio is one place that always seems to have good deals on both Monitor Audio or PSB speakers. http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/monitor_audio_bronze_details.htm I'm not sure where you are located, so they may not be an option. But it shows what you can get for under $500. Take your time, if you rush into a purchase you will likely end up disappointed. It's usually best to go to several places and listen to systems, that is really the only way you'll know for sure that you will like the sound. For home theater this is less crucial, it's more music where you really start to hear subtle differences. Music is the toughest thing for a speaker to pull off. Sales people should be able to help you out, at least to show you your options. Don't go solely to Best Buy or other big box stores, there is so much more out there, and most of it is of a higher caliber.

• 1 year later...

I have this TV:

Troy%27s%20Old%20TV%20and%20FRIEND_445.jpg

Not me or anyone I know in the pic. I googled "Toshiba old TV".

Ha! I am still using my 31" Toshiba I bought in 1990!.... great TV but finally convinced the wife it is time to upgrade so very soon I am updating to a Sharp 70" Quattron LCD when the next gen comes out this summer and an OPPO BDP-93 Bluray...I have a Marantz SR8000 5.1 I bought in 1999 and Bose AM15 5.1 speaker setup right now but will upgrade to a Marantz SR7005 7.2 receiver with another AM 15 bass module and two more cubes I have waiting in the closet, as soon as funds allow.......

I don't know anything about wireless. I run wires as I know they offer more reliable performance. This article seems like a good overview of wireless, with some helpful comments as well: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10354647-47.html I would think the biggest headache with wires is running them to the surround speakers. I personally don't think surround speakers are all that important, but many people will want them. You can always get the best fronts (and maybe center) you can afford now, and then buy surrrounds later. Frankly, the two front speakers matter way more than the others, but if you opt for a center you will almost always want a proper match - a center that is a poor match will stick out.. Two good speakers will make it seem like voices are coming from in between, and it will also sound like many other sounds are coming from the outside of the speakers. Don't get me wrong, 5.1 or 7.1 can be cool, but it's like the gravy, while the front speakers are the meat and potatoes.

You can get decent floorstanders for $500, like the Monitor Audio BR5. Saturday Audio is one place that always seems to have good deals on both Monitor Audio or PSB speakers. http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/monitor_audio_bronze_details.htm I'm not sure where you are located, so they may not be an option. But it shows what you can get for under $500. Take your time, if you rush into a purchase you will likely end up disappointed. It's usually best to go to several places and listen to systems, that is really the only way you'll know for sure that you will like the sound. For home theater this is less crucial, it's more music where you really start to hear subtle differences. Music is the toughest thing for a speaker to pull off. Sales people should be able to help you out, at least to show you your options. Don't go solely to Best Buy or other big box stores, there is so much more out there, and most of it is of a higher caliber.

Yeah but for some movies you really need at least 5.1...Saving Private Ryan is perfect example as the opening 20+ minutes are intense when they land in Normandy on D-Day with the bullets flying around you and the Star war movies are so much better in 5.1 as well but I agree most movies are weak in rear surround action........

Edited by classicrawker

bump.

With the talks about blu-rays and whatnot lately, I figured I'd bump this again.

This week I'm picking up this baby, but will have to rig my stand to use it until I finish building my new stand.

1170362_ra.jpg

1170362cv1a.jpg

700 bucks for a center channel? Wow...my whole Polk setup only cost a little more than that. I can't judge you but....fuck, man.

Anyway, Blu-Ray players, got any recommendations? I've heard the PS3 argument, but my tv already has a media center and a PC input, so that takes out that aspect, and I never really buy new video games, I have a Wii because of the novelty initially and various Zelda and party games. I don't care about BD-live because really isn't that just like a bunch of people telling you what they think of the movie? Anyway...

I would be willing to look at, and consider looking at a player, but I just want barebones good picture. Don't need 3D.

bump.

With the talks about blu-rays and whatnot lately, I figured I'd bump this again.

This week I'm picking up this baby, but will have to rig my stand to use it until I finish building my new stand.

1170362_ra.jpg

1170362cv1a.jpg

700 bucks for a center channel? Wow...my whole Polk setup only cost a little more than that. I can't judge you but....fuck, man.

Anyway, Blu-Ray players, got any recommendations? I've heard the PS3 argument, but my tv already has a media center and a PC input, so that takes out that aspect, and I never really buy new video games, I have a Wii because of the novelty initially and various Zelda and party games. I don't care about BD-live because really isn't that just like a bunch of people telling you what they think of the movie? Anyway...

I would be willing to look at, and consider looking at a player, but I just want barebones good picture. Don't need 3D.

how much you want to spend?

bump.

I'm looking low. Sub 100 bucks is a must. I don't think 70 bucks would be asking too much for what I need it to do. I don't need anything except good picture and sound.

bump.

I'm looking low. Sub 100 bucks is a must. I don't think 70 bucks would be asking too much for what I need it to do. I don't need anything except good picture and sound.

You will get an adequate picture and sound for under $100 but you get what you pay for with Bluray players...I would probably stick with Samsung in that price range..serviceable for the money

bump.

You will get an adequate picture and sound for under $100 but you get what you pay for with Bluray players...I would probably stick with Samsung in that price range..serviceable for the money

Which brands are known for better picture and sound? I know Samsung is kicking ass in electronics pretty much on all fronts right now? But does the picture and sound reproduction differ that much from brand to brand?