Home Theaters

bump.

With the talks about blu-rays and whatnot lately, I figured I'd bump this again.

This week I'm picking up this baby, but will have to rig my stand to use it until I finish building my new stand.

700 bucks for a center channel? Wow...my whole Polk setup only cost a little more than that. I can't judge you but....fuck, man.

Anyway, Blu-Ray players, got any recommendations? I've heard the PS3 argument, but my tv already has a media center and a PC input, so that takes out that aspect, and I never really buy new video games, I have a Wii because of the novelty initially and various Zelda and party games. I don't care about BD-live because really isn't that just like a bunch of people telling you what they think of the movie? Anyway...

I would be willing to look at, and consider looking at a player, but I just want barebones good picture. Don't need 3D.

how much you want to spend?

I'm looking low. Sub 100 bucks is a must. I don't think 70 bucks would be asking too much for what I need it to do. I don't need anything except good picture and sound.

You will get an adequate picture and sound for under $100 but you get what you pay for with Bluray players...I would probably stick with Samsung in that price range..serviceable for the money

Which brands are known for better picture and sound? I know Samsung is kicking ass in electronics pretty much on all fronts right now? But does the picture and sound reproduction differ that much from brand to brand?

At that price point I think any of the major brands will be adequate for you needs but Sony gets high marks for picture and Samsung is reliable......you should not expect much for under $100

OPPO BDP-93 Bluray

I'm intrigued here.

I have no probs shelling out larger coin for a quality deck.

What's the selling features of these?

What bang do you get for your buck?

Any info appreciated.

bump.

With the talks about blu-rays and whatnot lately, I figured I'd bump this again.

This week I'm picking up this baby, but will have to rig my stand to use it until I finish building my new stand.

1170362_ra.jpg

1170362cv1a.jpg

700 bucks for a center channel? Wow...my whole Polk setup only cost a little more than that. I can't judge you but....fuck, man.

Anyway, Blu-Ray players, got any recommendations? I've heard the PS3 argument, but my tv already has a media center and a PC input, so that takes out that aspect, and I never really buy new video games, I have a Wii because of the novelty initially and various Zelda and party games. I don't care about BD-live because really isn't that just like a bunch of people telling you what they think of the movie? Anyway...

I would be willing to look at, and consider looking at a player, but I just want barebones good picture. Don't need 3D.

Remember, I don't pay retail ;)

But yeah, that's what most people say. To each their own, I guess. :shrugs:

I got a Cinego digital projector that I inherited, don't know the specs, but it has a big projector screen and the resolution is very good. I got a brand new Logitech surround sound system, never removed from the box, at a yard sale that supported a food pantry for $20. Looked it up online and new it cost $400. I know there is better, more expensive stuff out there, but this setup looks and sounds incredible and I would never need anything better. Got it hooked up to my Roku, so I can watch all the Netflix and MLB.TV and NASA TV that times permits. It's great.

OPPO BDP-93 Bluray

I'm intrigued here.

Any info appreciated.

OPPO is renowned for their excellent video processing quality

Here are reviews for the 93 model where they get praise as being reference quality blu ray players...the 93 is half the price of the 95 and unless you want a player for CD listening the reviews say the video quality is basically identical between the two models..I will be getting the 93 when I get my new LCD TV in the next couple of months........

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/blu-ray-BDP-93-Review.aspx

Edited by classicrawker

Got my center, finally.

Put my receiver on Multi-Channel In and the dialogue is obviously very strong through the center, but, it seems like almost a little too much - that my towers are drowned out slightly by the high dialogue. I put it on Multi-Channel Stereo and enjoyed it a lot more honestly.

Maybe I'm just not used to having and listening with a center? :shrugs:

Got my center, finally.

Put my receiver on Multi-Channel In and the dialogue is obviously very strong through the center, but, it seems like almost a little too much - that my towers are drowned out slightly by the high dialogue. I put it on Multi-Channel Stereo and enjoyed it a lot more honestly.

Can't you individually adjust each channel in your receiver? If you can you should be able to dial down the volume on the center channel

Got my center, finally.

Can't you individually adjust each channel in your receiver? If you can you should be able to dial down the volume on the center channel

Pfft, wasn't even thinking that.

Been awhile since I was in that setting since I was only running a two channel set up, so had no reason. I'll figure out how to get back into it and check it out.

I should keep it on Multi-Channel Input for blu-rays and what not, correct?

OPPO BDP-93 Bluray

I'm intrigued here.

Any info appreciated.

Here are reviews for the 93 model where they get praise as being reference quality blu ray players...the 93 is half the price of the 95 and unless you want a player for CD listening the reviews say the video quality is basically identical between the two models..I will be getting the 93 when I get my new LCD TV in the next couple of months........

http://www.oppodigit...-93-Review.aspx

Yeah, the Oppo is great. Compared to a Cambridge Audio 650BD and Denon DBP-1611UD, the Oppo came out ahead for picture quality. You get a video processing chip in it that Cambridge, Denon, and Marantz don't offer until you spend closer to a grand. The Oppo has excellent build quality too. It doesn't feel like a cheap plastic box. Now, how it's picture and audio compare to a $100 Sony or Samsung I can't say. I never looked at buying one of those. Now that I've got the Oppo I simply am set for DVD and BR and I won't buy another player for a long, long time.

Zint, a store in Markham carries the Oppo players. So you could make a visit if you want to investigate first before buying. It's called Solutions AV.

Edited by KBear

Got my center, finally.

Pfft, wasn't even thinking that.

Been awhile since I was in that setting since I was only running a two channel set up, so had no reason. I'll figure out how to get back into it and check it out.

I should keep it on Multi-Channel Input for blu-rays and what not, correct?

My Marantz 5.1 receiver allows for individually settng each channel level to allow for different distance speaker placement balance so you should check out your user's manual as yours may offer that option. if you lost the manual most companies have them on line.

Without knowing your receiver and your setup it i hard for me to advise on input settings..........

OPPO BDP-93 Bluray

I'm intrigued here.

Any info appreciated.

http://www.oppodigit...-93-Review.aspx

Yeah, the Oppo is great. Compared to a Cambridge Audio 650BD and Denon DBP-1611UD, the Oppo came out ahead for picture quality. You get a video processing chip in it that Cambridge, Denon, and Marantz don't offer until you spend closer to a grand. The Oppo has excellent build quality too. It doesn't feel like a cheap plastic box. Now, how it's picture and audio compare to a $100 Sony or Samsung I can't say. I never looked at buying one of those. Now that I've got the Oppo I simply am set for DVD and BR and I won't buy another player for a long, long time.

Zint, a store in Markham carries the Oppo players. So you could make a visit if you want to investigate first before buying. It's called Solutions AV.

Cheers guys,thanks...sounds amazing!

Might just need me a new toy!

• 3 weeks later...

sup guise. I'm going to buy a TV for my room soon, and I figured you guys know a lot about this stuff, like LCD vs. plasma, LED, HD and whatnot. I'm going to use it to see watch a little TV and play some games every now and then, but mostly to watch films. Which brands do you guys prefer and what type of TV fits my purposes best?

Also, does it matter how many inches I get, regarding picture ratio quality whatchacallit?

sup guise. I'm going to buy a TV for my room soon, and I figured you guys know a lot about this stuff, like LCD vs. plasma, LED, HD and whatnot. I'm going to use it to see watch a little TV and play some games every now and then, but mostly to watch films. Which brands do you guys prefer and what type of TV fits my purposes best?

Also, does it matter how many inches I get, regarding picture ratio quality whatchacallit?

Well, if you can afford to get a bigger TV, both regarding money and space, I'd do it.

I'm gonna get something between 40 and 50. But I think someone told me once that a 46 incher for some reason makes [insert technical jargon] distorted, so it would actually be better to get a 44 incher.

:blacksabbath:

Not sure what they might have been thinking about, but you'll be fine getting like a 46 or 50.

Don't be a bitch, get the 50.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I had a flat screen, but it broke and after that I thought it was waste of money to get a new one, so I got one of these:

tjock-tv.jpg

I don't own any DVD any more and I never owned any Bluray.

Edit: I only watch football and hockey when Sweden is playing though, other than that I pretty much never watch TV.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

That's true, it would make my roommate's pussy-ass 40 incher look like a travel TV. Are the cheapest 50 inchers generally crap or will they do the trick? And what would you choose between a 42 incher and a 50 incher with the same price?

That's a tough little question to answer without actually seeing the TVs. I mean, as long as it's a quality brand and not a no-name company, I would trust a "cheap" 50 incher.