Axl - did he ever get close to his true potential?

LXA

His peak as a performer was around 92/93...he was certainly on top of his game back then. As vocal performance is concerned I'd say his best voice was definitely during the 86-90 era.

If you don't believe me check out this vocal performance from Axl in 88 and tell me better.... :rolleyes:

His peak as a performer was around 92/93...he was certainly on top of his game back then. As vocal performance is concerned I'd say his best voice was definitely during the 86-90 era.

If you don't believe me check out this vocal performance from Axl in 88 and tell me better.... :rolleyes:

I looove that performance! But I think he always sounded better when he just sang a song or two, I think the real problem was the lengthy concerts.

Axl 88-90 can be compared with any Rock singer. All time and you can write that. His voice was untouchable and he really was the most important piece of the band. Not dogging the old band, they were obviously great. However, when you only have two guitars and no keys, etc. and you are playing stadiums it doesn't sound "full". His voice still shows glimpses and at times even whole nights are incredible but in 88 that dude ruled the earth and everyone knew it.....Axl included.

AS far as musically Estranged is as well put together a song as I've heard and I listen to it all. Really Guns best work by a long shot. My favorite part about Axl though is he is experimenting which means he could put something out that really catches on even now. You just never know with that guy what to expect.

I guess he went down hill from the release of UYI onwards.

I doubt there's any way he can climb back up that (The AFD era) mountain.

Looking on the birghtside, atleast he found its peak once.

Edited by star

I guess he went down hill from the release of UYI onwards.

I doubt there's any way he can climb back up that mountain.

There might be one way..

I can think of only one man. If it ever happend, there's no guarantee of an AFD II

Just the same old question and insinuation reworded, rehashed, and reposted over and over again times infinity. You hope he sees it. You hope it motivates. You hope it sparks something in the form of change. It's groundhog day.

From a creative standpoint November Rain, Estranged, and Coma are fucking amazing and come closest IMO

From a vocal standpoint, I have to say that 86-88 was his best. Not only did he have a great low voice, he also had the perfect amount of rasp in his high range. His singing was also the most consistent in terms of power and staying on key

Just the same old question and insinuation reworded, rehashed, and reposted over and over again times infinity. You hope he sees it. You hope it motivates. You hope it sparks something in the form of change. It's groundhog day.

Definantely groundhog day,with the addition of each of each of these endless,repetitive posts that are meant to provoke and stir up the rancid reunionists that jerk off to posts like this,looking forward to RIR,as well as what GNR has to offer in 2011,whatever and whenever,and I honestly don't believe these redundant posts with their agendas will accomplish a dammned thing,some people can't be pushed,harassed into a decision that for whatever reason,isn't likely to happen,this is a thinly disguised reunionist thread,and this has gotten more than old.

But I think he always sounded better when he just sang a song or two

Good point actually, thinking about it... I think some of the greatest examples of Axl at his best are at the Freddie Mercury concert, the Late show, hell even the couple of songs he did with Tom Petty that time he may aswell have been the only guy on the stage the way he stole the show.

Edited by JAC185

This is a GNR "discussion" forum. We are discussing stuff.

Definantely groundhog day,with the addition of each of each of these endless,repetitive posts that are meant to provoke and stir up the rancid reunionists that jerk off to posts like this,looking forward to RIR,as well as what GNR has to offer in 2011,whatever and whenever,and I honestly don't believe these redundant posts with their agendas will accomplish a dammned thing,some people can't be pushed,harassed into a decision that for whatever reason,isn't likely to happen,this is a thinly disguised reunionist thread,and this has gotten more than old.

28i3xw8.jpg

In 2002 I think. His voice was awesome then

Obviously he sounded a lot different in the early 2000s era to the Axl that we knew from the 80s/90s and a lot of people bashed him as a result.

Thing is though, I think that if he was just someone new on the scene at that point, people would still have spoken about him for having a unique voice.

GNR is headlining one of the biggest festivals in the world,toured in 2006,2009-2010,released a revolutionary album in 2008,and who knows what is being planned at the moment,just because it hasnt been announced yet,does not mean there are no plans at all,so have any of you "reached your full potential"? Judge not,yet you will be judged in the same manner

Vocal wise, i think that video of him singing Your Crazy from the late 80's nails it. So raw and varied, everything in tune and perfect. Songwriting wise i think some of his work on Chidem is up there for sure, the lyrics of SOD, Prostitute, TWAT and Better are amazing. Outside Chidem, Estranged deserves special attention, much more than November Rain. On stage, its hard to say, the early shows after Appetite rank up there(Ritz), as do some of the UYI shows(especially Civil War). 2001-2002 were bad, 2007 and 2010 were good though. I really do think he has some amazing material hidden though. If Chidem is anything to go by, the follow up with be out of this world.