I love Catcher in the Rye

wasted

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an awesome song, I didn't appreciate it in it's demo form but the studio version kills it.

I agree. But I a lot of fans prefer the Demo version.

I love Brian May, but Ron's work on this song is genius...

I never really liked May's Catcher solo. Everyone is entitled to there opinion, but it was not standout to me. Ron's solo is also good, but not standout.

You're right! It's a summer song. :)

The sound of it is, but the lyrics is more winter NYC feeling to it, if you take it like that. I just find myself just going with a more laid back vibe tha comes across. like it's summer who gives a crap.

how do you relate to the lyrics?

I don't.

I don't relate to Paradise City either. Some songs are just that way

it's pretty hard to relate to, that's why I take it my own way. don't take me back to my shitty city.

It can make me a bit sad,when I think about the Salinger/Manchurian candidate/Chapman assasination of JL,I'm a unabashed fan of lennons work in and out of the Beatles.

But its a good song,love the studio release over the Demo.

It can make me a bit sad,when I think about the Salinger/Manchurian candidate/Chapman assasination of JL,I'm a unabashed fan of lennons work in and out of the Beatles.

yeah it kind of messes you up if you think of yourself as a holden caulfield syndrome suffere in the verses. then kind of slightly piissed off in the chorus. then tribute at the end. it's more like an epic movie then. but if im walking through the city and it's just like more general malaise type thing it's more fun. like there's us and the people who dont get it, then the catcher in the rye is like having a bad day, then tribute is just like an epic fuck you to the real world.

Its genious and amazing because of the way Axl manages to get his emotion out, which I think is the problem with a lot of the CD material.. I love his voice and all, but some emotion seemed to have dissappeared, except for the "you are the instrument" part.. I just love that.. Even TIL seems bloated, he sings with emotion, but its yeah, bloated.. Whereas the Catcher is on the spot..

yeah it kind of messes you up if you think of yourself as a holden caulfield syndrome suffere in the verses. then kind of slightly piissed off in the chorus. then tribute at the end. it's more like an epic movie then. but if im walking through the city and it's just like more general malaise type thing it's more fun. like there's us and the people who dont get it, then the catcher in the rye is like having a bad day, then tribute is just like an epic fuck you to the real world.

Agree absolutely,sometimes it is preferable to dumb down (not necessary for some) and enjoy songs from a surface level.It's good to interpret songs from different angles.

My favorite song off of CD. I love the last 2 minutes or so of the song. The acoustic version they played at one of those secret bar shows sounded really good too. I don't know how to describe the song, the studio version specifically. It has almost a dream-like quality to it as silly as it sounds.

Edited by WhazUp

My favorite song off of CD. I love the last 2 minutes or so of the song. The acoustic version they played at one of those secret bar shows sounded really good too. I don't know how to describe the song, the studio version specifically. It has almost a dream-like quality to it as silly as it sounds.

Good call,I liked the acoustic version as well. :)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest siliconmessiah

Fantastic song. Wish it could be arranged to become a good live one too.

Edited by siliconmessiah