This Rio show was a complete DISASTER

D..

Well, this show was important and it sucks that singers like Hetfield can come on and kill it but Axl can't (not that I have anything against James). I feel that's what Axl's going to be held up to, and rightfully so. People will say Metallica should've closed Rio, not Guns.

This show was key, but then again not really, as it's obvious Axl's isn't trying to launch Nu Guns to the masses. The last fifteen years can be used to illustrate this. Seems that GN'R is like a project for Axl, that he works on whenever he feels like it. It's not a job for him, unfortunately.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not see the show yet but people who were not there should stop judging, whining and complaining. I am pretty sure that people there had a good time. Also from what I have seen on youtube so far the sound mix was mediocre at least.

From my experience Axl gets better as the tour progresses. Him showing up late, not rehearsing and being good at bad publicity is nothing new, we all know that for years.

I have seen Guns three times last year and it was awesome everytime, even the setlist was more or less the same.

10 years touring Chinesse Democracy... still waiting for the "GNR comeback"

this band is stuck still... can't blame the rest of the band members if they all walk out on Axl... that was totally disrespectful on so many levels..

this "Axl vision of GNR" is a complete mess.. he's wasting it

Huh, watching some of the clips on YouTube now. It was pretty awesome to hear a new spin on Estranged after all of these years. Unfortunately from all I've seen so far, I can't get past the feeling that Axl has given up.

The old band apart from rock in rio 1991 never perform well Estranged,a song much better in studio than in live performances.

I'm sad about the performance too.

The band was sooo great, the audience was boiling, it could have been a legendary evening - rain be pouring down or not.

But Axl was apparantly absolutely unprepared - which I find shocking, to be honest. When millions of people are watching your concert, it's common decency to rehearse a little bit to be able to hit notes and remember words.

I always wanted NOT to be a greedy fan and I do understand the whole "Axl owes us nothing"-thing. But when you book such a slot its a question of simple work ethics to prepare. I'm not asking for having a ripped body, a new style and tanks full of dolphins on stage.

I just ask for a lead singer who remembers his word, has enough air in is lungs to get them out and hits notes while he's doing that.

Edited by Schwarzgold

Seems that GN'R is like an ATM for Axl, that he works on whenever he feels like it. It's not a job for him, unfortunately.

Anyone who saw his Vince Neil inspired physical conditioning out there that Axl rolled off the couch and on stage.

The fact he would knowingly half ass a huge show like that, and at least the next month's worth until he gets his ass in shape, proves he could give 2 shits about GNR ever being anything more than an opportunity to make a quick buck when he needs some money.

He mailed it in tonight, and thankfully people are finally taking notice at his piss poor work ethic.

I was watching the feed on justin.tv tonight, and the comments were absolutely brutal about him in particular.

I see now why he wanted full control of the name so bad by himself. This way he can be a lazy, get fat, and refuse to practice and he doesn't have to worry about anyone ever saying a word to him.

The longer new gnr goes on, the clearer everything becomes.

Axl was right about 1 thing though.....that he's better in acting like an idiot. It's an idiot thing to not prepare for a concert like RIR. As a GNR fan, this was the most painful and embarrassing thing to watch.....EVER. EPIC fail.

Since we know now he is clearly out of shape and unprepared to be touring, how do those with tickets to the upcoming shows feel that he views your shows as warm-ups to the second half the tour when he has gotten his feet under him and worked his way into shape?

Are you ok with the fact Axl knows you're only going to get him at about 60% because he refuses to prepare before a tour, or are you just happy he is coming to your town?

You know after an embarrassment like that where every other band sounded much better than Axl as a fan I'd say, ok, call it a career, you're done, retire, thanks for Chinese Democracy but you just don't have it anymore.

The problem is I attended the Prague show last year (late in the tour) and Axl sounded spectacular, honestly better than the cd version, powerful and clean. This just pisses me off because he's still clearly capable of rocking our asses off and making the festival highlight reel. Sure Axl was unjustly criticized by the media in the past but he deserves every bit of the shit he'll be getting after tonight.

No chance. But at 01 we had new songs

You didn't have new songs, nor estranged at rock in rio 06. Everyone seems to forget that rio existed.

they're referring to rock in rio 2001.

rio 2006 was notoriously ill-received here, but a lot of that was blamed on the poor sound mix.

I don't recall being disappointed or excited by Rio 06. Was just kind of... there. I do remember being pissed that the stream I was watching kept cutting out all of the Chinese Democracy songs.

I hope this dreadful performance doesn't put anyone off buying a ticket for the upcoming North American tour. Axl's voice will be awesome by the time he gets here. He was absolutely killer when I saw him in Montreal last year. Let us never speak of this RIR performance again.

Edited by ITW 2012

You know after an embarrassment like that where every other band sounded much better than Axl as a fan I'd say, ok, call it a career, you're done, retire, thanks for Chinese Democracy but you just don't have it anymore.

The problem is I attended the Prague show last year (late in the tour) and Axl sounded spectacular, honestly better than the cd version, powerful and clean. This just pisses me off because he's still clearly capable of rocking our asses off and making the festival highlight reel. Sure Axl was unjustly criticized by the media in the past but he deserves every bit of the shit he'll be getting after tonight.

I completely agree with you and most people on this topic, I went to Bergen, Oslo and Paris (twice) last year: Axl was fantastic. A bit outta shape but still amazing. I'm not questioning the fact he could get his voice back, he can and he will.

The problem with this RIR IV 2011 show is much more troubling than the voice: it's the complete lack of professionalism. Axl had almost a year to prepare this show which is the biggest in new guns history since RIR III in terms of number of people, plus they are the HEADLINERS among huge bands like System of a down and Metallica. This show tonight proves that he truly doesn't rehearse with his band. I was always a bit doubtful about it even if I know for fact that the band rehearsed without him in Bergen last year. I think it's really disturbing for a singer/frontman of such a huge band with such great responsabilities to not rehearse with his band and most especially not doing everything in its power to succeed one of the last biggest show of his life. It's insane.

It's really not just the voice, it's the attitude that this shows: Axl has totally lost himself and doesn't care because he hisn't in danger anymore, he has infinite cash. This is the real problem of this all, I doubt you can change when you're almost 50.

Also, it's not fair for the band who work very hard and take all the shit on behalf of Axl. They deserve a little more respect from their leader. If you're gonna ask for your band to be able to play 30+ songs every night, you gotta learn the right lyrics.

Edited by D..

I hope this dreadful performance doesn't put anyone off buying a ticket for the upcoming North American tour. Axl's voice will be awesome by the time he gets here. He was absolutely killer when I saw him in Montreal last year. Let us never speak of this RIR performance again.

What puts me off from buying a ticket is that he cancelled both of the shows I was scheduled to attend in the '06 tour the day before they were set to occur.