DJ Ashba: "My plan is to release the best GNR album ever. I know we can do it"

Guest Gunns

Interview by Rio Rock Zone,

PQAAAHmMfLlmfzb4YohAYVvdXGABopRh32RPVp7NWt7ssIFAtB_AIE6udRZhnZye-BF6QFRUOOXNCcFoSb_QhXMACg8Am1T1UA8wNhfCm5ipAlhE16efUjHdeDgU.jpg

Let's get to interesting part, I won't translate everything...

Criss: And what about the new Guns N' Roses material?

DJ: Oh yeah, you know... I have been working in a lot of material, but we already have lots of finished stuff. Axl has a lot, a lot of things remaining from Chinese that are really good, and we have been working and re-recording and writing new stuff everyday.

Criss: What about the future?

DJ: Well, this is where I'm focused. I mean, my big objective is to release the biggest and best Guns N' Roses album of all times. This is my objective in this band and I know we can do it. I'm very excited to be in this band with Axl and all the other guys. Working with Axl, that knows lot of people, and that is producing new music all the time... Axl and I simply have a special music connection, we understand each other very well. I sit down, and when he starts to play something on the piano feels like if I know exactly what I have to do.

Thanks to Manets from 'the other forum'

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion GNR has yet to top AFD (the Illusions came awfully close) but I have faith that the next album is going to be great and hopefully takes the foundation of CD and builds on it. I can't wait to hear what DJ has to offer

In my opinion GNR has yet to top AFD (the Illusions came awfully close) but I have faith that the next album is going to be great and hopefully takes the foundation of CD and builds on it. I can't wait to hear what DJ has to offer

I never got into Appetite when it came out, the Illusion albums is what got me into GNR then I got into the rest.

That's cool man, the Illusions are great records! Appetite just strikes a chord with me and IMO just sounds "right" (of course this is all just personal opinion). It has everything a great record has: the energetic sound of a "hungry" band, great vibe, great performces, etc. But I don't want to turn this into a "AFD is the greatest" thread, I can't wait to hear the new material the band has to offer. DJ sounds exited and committed to making great tunes and making this record count and that is great to hear!

Edited by WhazUp

DJ: Oh yeah, you know... I have been working in a lot of material, but we already have lots of finished stuff. Axl has a lot, a lot of things remaining from Chinese that are really good, and we have been working and re-recording and writing new stuff everyday.

2391371:jpeg_preview_medium.jpg

funny-gifs-getting-angry.gif

Reading that got me excited...but I know not to get my hopes up too high.

I will say that I think Ashba is the most credible 'insider' that we ever had, just something about him that is genuine, something that makes me want to put faith into what he is saying.

But "It don't really matter" with Axl involved, because everything is up to him. Ashba and Axl can be recording all the songs they want, but they may never get released. (We've seen that multiple times before with Bucket/Axl, Tobias/Axl and whoever else Axl recorded with in the late 90's-early 2000's)

Buckethead is prolific as far as music creation in ways that DJ can't even fathom. If he couldn't get Axl motivated enough to finish and release music, then color me skeptical that Ashba is going to suddenly get Axl to open the flood gates.

Reading that got me excited...but I know not to get my hopes up too high.

I will say that I think Ashba is the most credible 'insider' that we ever had, just something about him that is genuine, something that makes me want to put faith into what he is saying.

But "It don't really matter" with Axl involved, because everything is up to him. Ashba and Axl can be recording all the songs they want, but they may never get released. (We've seen that multiple times before with Bucket/Axl, Tobias/Axl and whoever else Axl recorded with in the late 90's-early 2000's)

I think he's going to be good in helping Axl get the ideas for songs and completed songs organized and mixed.

Now it's about being able to follow up Chinese Democracy within 5 years, and convincing him that what they've already done in the studio is ready for the world to hear. I don't think Axl wants to take forever in the studio, either. The more songs he puts out, the less of the old stuff he's going to do, and prob. wind up having 2 or 3 songs from AFD and UYI. I don't think they'll ever be able to do a setlist without songs from those two albums, but who knows...

My man. and I hope they fucking do it. That should be the only goal going in to another GNR album I would say, if not then why bother. the combo of old stuff plus new songs does sound good in terms of you feel like they have enough songs easily.

Maybe DJ is the guy who can put Axl back on track when it comes to releasing music on a regular basis.

I'm quite confident about the band feeling good together and feeling the need to release music.

Buckethead is prolific as far as music creation in ways that DJ can't even fathom. If he couldn't get Axl motivated enough to finish and release music, then color me skeptical that Ashba is going to suddenly get Axl to open the flood gates.

I find comments like this annoying.

We get it. You like Buckethead more than Ashba. And yes, Bucket is one of the most technically gifted players in the world.

Fine.

But I'm pretty sure that Ashba is much easier to work with. He could prove to be Axl's "normalizer". Do you think Mozart and Beethoven could have collaborated? I don't.

IMO, Ashba is the perfect rock n roller. He's got the attitude, looks and feel, but he is also hard-working and productive. I think Axl really appreciates him and realizes that they perhaps (hopefully) fullfill each other.

Bucket doesn't strike me as a motivator. He just makes music. Ashba is more outspoken, and he's an entrepreneur.

Also, I don't think that BH was the best thing for GNR. Musically he can be great but he's very avantguard and weird. Even more so than Axl. Even when he works with other artists it's basically just BH with (whoever) it's basically just him and it's cranked out in rapid succession... NEXT!

These are he type of people that Axl needs to hang with. Semi normal guys who don't do drugs (well maybe Tommy)...

Axl needs to be more public.

Bucket doesn't strike me as a motivator. He just makes music. Ashba is more outspoken, and he's an entrepreneur.

Also, I don't think that BH was the best thing for GNR. Musically he can be great but he's very avantguard and weird. Even more so than Axl. Even when he works with other artists it's basically just BH with (whoever) it's basically just him and it's cranked out in rapid succession... NEXT!

These are he type of people that Axl needs to hang with. Semi normal guys who don't do drugs (well maybe Tommy)...

Axl needs to be more public.

Axl doesnt need to "be" anything.

All he needs to do is release some new music.

Ashba aint no spring chicken - the guy is what, 40?

And he's done nothing musically that comes even close to old-GNR standard.

You never know, he'd really need Axl inspire him and take hime to another musican dimension. But Axl ain't the most productive guy these days

LA

Ashba aint no spring chicken - the guy is what, 40?

And he's done nothing musically that comes even close to old-GNR standard.

You never know, he'd really need Axl inspire him and take hime to another musican dimension. But Axl ain't the most productive guy these days

LA

DJ is 38 years old and I think he'll surprise a lot of people if he ever gets to be on a released Guns album.

This reminds me of Randy Rhodes and how his work on anything before Blizzard Of Ozz was not anywhere near as good. Some people just have that effect like Ozzy had on Randy and Randy on Ozzy. Axl and DJ seem to share a similar musical connection.

I guess time will (maybe) tell.

I think he can do it. Axl is good at pushing people to their creative limits and is very inspiring, I would imagine. DJ also is hungry to put his mark on Guns and is very driven and experienced.

Chemistry between 2 musicians can change everything. It can become something much bigger then any one of them could ever hope to create on their own.

Edited by Rovim

Very cool. Dj has shot to my favorite new member of this current incarnation(Bucket will always be number 1 for me in new-Guns) simply because he lets us in on little details without being cryptic. Even when he told us about the US tour in February that never happened, he did so with good intentions and that was the plan at the time. It's quite obvious Axl won't be GnR's spokesperson and with Ashba, Axl won't need to be(although a new Axl interview would be insane).