Dizzy Reed: New Guns N' Roses Album 'Eventually'

Guest NGOG

From the way Axl speaks, he still considers this to be the Chinese Democracy "era', it's still relevant to him. And who can really blame him? He spent so much time and energy try to perfect that album and get it release, it'd be hard to him to let it go and move on to something else. But fact is, it came and went, three years ago. There's going to be some people who haven't heard it, who hear new songs on this tour and who go out and get it/download it. But realistically, how many people are expected to do that? It's a great album, I really enjoyed it, but it did what it did, I don't think any amount of touring is going to bump it back onto the charts. Hearing the songs on this tour might make people who have it throw it in their CD player again for a while, and it might get a small percentage of people who haven't heard it to check it out, but for the most part it did what it was going to do...and a lot of that might not be Axl's fault. There were legal issues along the way, they may have caused the messed up release or delays.

It would have been ideal if the album was available to buy when they came back and toured in 2006. Even better if a proper tour was possible when it came out in 2008. A video, interivews, all of that would have been nice. But it didn't happen that way, and I don't see how touring in 2011 is going to do much to promote an album that came out in 2008. That's not to say it's a bad album. I think it's great. And that's not to say there's anything wrong with touring it again. GNR always put on a great show live, and I'm sure anyone who's lucky enough to catch them on this tour will have a hell of a time...it's just a little disappointing to hear that they're not thinking about a new album yet, in part because they're still focused on CD.

I really think they missed the boat in 2006. I don't know what the specific hold up was at that time...but some songs leaked, garnered some interest. They go on tour, Axl looks great, the band sounds great, they really kick some ass. It would have been nice if the causal fan who just got his ass kicked by IRS could have gone right out and bought it. They had some momentum there. Then two years later, it just comes out. No public appearances, no videos, no tour, just an online interview and some tv spots. Not that it made a difference to the hardcore fans, I played the hell out of CD for over a year, but had it came out in 2006, we'd have heard maybe 5 songs, rather than all but 3 by the time it did come out.

The problem is, the Chinese Democracy era ended in 2004, when Buckethead left. If the album had come out in 2002, maybe he doesn't leave and things end up very differently. Now even if we were to extend the CD era up to 2008-2009 (and I absolutely agree, they missed the boat in 2006), it's done now. There's no doubt in my mind that Better and The Blues would have been hit singles if the album had been released in '06 and promoted properly. But that's all water under the bridge now, which is why it is so frustrating that this band can't move on to the next 'era'. And if we are still in the Chinese era, then released the rest of those songs and let's move on.

Chinese Democracy easily could have become known as "the hard rock Smile". I just think this tour is to finally play the US before they go in the studio. I think Axl's just keeping his cards close to his chest on what's planned, but mostly focused on the shows. The band sounds like they want to get into the studio and work on new music, and I think this time around, it's going to be a matter of going through what's unreleased and what they'll have going in. For all they know, they might not use any of those songs, maybe 1 or 2.

They're not touring to support the album, but I'm pretty sure he's happy that the audiences know the songs. The touring isn't going to affect music sales and downloads by much.

Would music video have helped? Maybe. I think any established artist from the past 5 years have made videos no one even knew existed. I kind of liked the Beastie Boys' concept to make a short film around their songs.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Better, TWAT, Street of Dreams, and IRS would've all been successful singles had they been released and promoted.

Better could have been top 10, it is a class modern rock song

Better screams hit more than Paradise City did, in my opinion. It could've been so successful had it been promoted correctly.

But keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who's been part of GNR since 1990 -- second only to founding frontman --

:rolleyes:

"I just stay out of that," Reed says, noting that "there's not really anything" he can do on his end to push the process forward.

You'd think that spending 20 years in the band would merit some input on the next record. Shows how much Axl think of Dizzy. lol

..the bottom line is, with Axl at the helm (..of his hired band), only he can decide, know, dictate the future. What ever that future holds, will be about him and only him.

The hire hands are there for the ride (..and the money) and will perform any live gig until the day arrives, they choose no longer to follow such a path, at which point they will be replaced.

Guns N'Roses is dead as we knew it.. Axl's own vision of music lives on. I guess some day there will be another record.

Who will know what it will sound like, and what will it say ? - at this point in time, i doubt even Axl has an anwser.

The best news of all.. Slash as a new album coming out in 2012 :thumbsup:

facepalm.gif

I'd like to kick you in the face.

If you're gonna bash just say Axl sings like a little girl with his helium voice and that Ashba is a poser. Even those things are more accurate than what you say.

I'll explain how ''star'' works. He doesn't care about anything, he's just here to cupcake.

He's all like: GN'R is a joke now, Axl is this Axl is that. SLASH ALL THE WAYYYY!

AND THIS would be ''star'' if he liked NuGN'R:

Slash is a joke, CD is better than anything the old band ever did, AXL IS GOD.

The only way some people take him serious is because he cupcakes on points that people have been arguing about since Slash and co left.

Edited by UcudBmineCD

Axl probably thinks the next album will get a poor reception as well, and that adding more and more new music will just dilute the old and errode the fanbase, so that tickets will become harder and harder to sell. and so he's probably trying to milk the existing music for what he can before releasing new material. i'm not saying I think any of that's true, but I can't think of any other reason why he wouldn't want to just release everything he has and move on with life.

I strongly disagree.

I think it was the opposite. I think Axl loves a lot of CD, and that he can't understand why the rock world isn't feeling the same way.

I think the cd is just as good as either Illusion. And if CD was put out by the original band, 85% of the haters on here would have loved it. A lot of the hate towards Axl (on here and other forums) is first and foremost because of Slash not being there. Nothing to do with the music.

Better, Street of Dreams, Catcher, Twat, Madagascar, IRS, Prostitute.....those all could have been on an Illusion.

I think Axl is surprised and confused that cd didn't do better. That's why he won't put it to bed, but instead drags the cd tour on. Hoping that something is going to trigger the album taking off. Just like what happened with appetite.

And yes, I know. He needs to put out a video or two, do some tv music spots and performances.....things to catch the eye of the average rock fan. Which he refuses to do for some reason.

I think Axl doesn't even want to be the biggest band in the world anymore, not saying he could if he wanted, but it's just not what he wants. He doesn't like the media attention, he doesn't like the paparazzi's, doesn't give a fuck about reviews, etc... I think it has come to the point where just touring the old songs with CD is enough for him. I have already planted that deep in my mind. It's not going beyond that. It's kinda like where KISS and Aerosmith were a while back.

Yeah, and Axl being Axl it could all change in the bat of an eyelid. Say, with one hit single - something like the way "I don't wanna miss thing" happened for Aerosmith: and then they become insanely popular all around the world because of that one radio friendly song and then everyone lines up to hear them and maybe gives all the really good music that they've been ignoring on Chinese another listen. Not saying that it's going to happen but looking at how comfortable that Axl and these guys are with each other and how mature Axl is now, I wouldn't rule it out. I still believe that Axl and this band are capable of capturing the general public's imagination, by either doing something like this (with a radio friendly single and a far out video) or with some really great new music (maybe with the unreleased CD tracks) than Slash or any of the other former gunners and their lineups.

Edited by The Archer

From the way Axl speaks, he still considers this to be the Chinese Democracy "era', it's still relevant to him. And who can really blame him? He spent so much time and energy try to perfect that album and get it release, it'd be hard to him to let it go and move on to something else. But fact is, it came and went, three years ago. There's going to be some people who haven't heard it, who hear new songs on this tour and who go out and get it/download it. But realistically, how many people are expected to do that? It's a great album, I really enjoyed it, but it did what it did, I don't think any amount of touring is going to bump it back onto the charts. Hearing the songs on this tour might make people who have it throw it in their CD player again for a while, and it might get a small percentage of people who haven't heard it to check it out, but for the most part it did what it was going to do...and a lot of that might not be Axl's fault. There were legal issues along the way, they may have caused the messed up release or delays.

It would have been ideal if the album was available to buy when they came back and toured in 2006. Even better if a proper tour was possible when it came out in 2008. A video, interivews, all of that would have been nice. But it didn't happen that way, and I don't see how touring in 2011 is going to do much to promote an album that came out in 2008. That's not to say it's a bad album. I think it's great. And that's not to say there's anything wrong with touring it again. GNR always put on a great show live, and I'm sure anyone who's lucky enough to catch them on this tour will have a hell of a time...it's just a little disappointing to hear that they're not thinking about a new album yet, in part because they're still focused on CD.

I really think they missed the boat in 2006. I don't know what the specific hold up was at that time...but some songs leaked, garnered some interest. They go on tour, Axl looks great, the band sounds great, they really kick some ass. It would have been nice if the causal fan who just got his ass kicked by IRS could have gone right out and bought it. They had some momentum there. Then two years later, it just comes out. No public appearances, no videos, no tour, just an online interview and some tv spots. Not that it made a difference to the hardcore fans, I played the hell out of CD for over a year, but had it came out in 2006, we'd have heard maybe 5 songs, rather than all but 3 by the time it did come out.

I wish they'd just simplify things. Not everything has to be epic. Just get together, write and album, record it and let the public take it in. I think Axl takes the GNR name and reputation a bit too seriously at times. I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but the GNR name isn't what it used to be. It's tarnished, due to the break up, Axl's disappearance, CD taking 14 years to be release, the endless delays, rotating band members, etc...that might not be fair, and I certainly don't say it to be insulting, but even us hardcore fans have to be aware how GNR are viewed by many now. Putting out an album that isn't epic or legendary isn't going to tarnish the name anymore than anything else has. We're not talking about trying to follow up Appetite here, and I, sadly, don't think there's any quality of album that can be made that's going to make GNR the biggest band in the world again. Just accept that GNR's on a smaller scale now, and write music for yourself and your fans, forget what the media thinks.

Your not wrong there. If you watched the recent Axl interview. he goes as far as to imply there might a video for a single from Chinese Democracy.

How pointless would that be.

He missed the boat in 2002. 2006 was just an extention. 2011 its beyond a joke.

and you love following this joke so much because?

I wish they'd just simplify things. Not everything has to be epic. Just get together, write and album, record it and let the public take it in. I think Axl takes the GNR name and reputation a bit too seriously at times. I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but the GNR name isn't what it used to be. It's tarnished, due to the break up, Axl's disappearance, CD taking 14 years to be release, the endless delays, rotating band members, etc...that might not be fair, and I certainly don't say it to be insulting, but even us hardcore fans have to be aware how GNR are viewed by many now. Putting out an album that isn't epic or legendary isn't going to tarnish the name anymore than anything else has. We're not talking about trying to follow up Appetite here, and I, sadly, don't think there's any quality of album that can be made that's going to make GNR the biggest band in the world again. Just accept that GNR's on a smaller scale now, and write music for yourself and your fans, forget what the media thinks.

Your not wrong there. If you watched the recent Axl interview. he goes as far as to imply there might a video for a single from Chinese Democracy.

Madison would have banned this clown a long time ago

It was a lot of hold ups in 2006 & before & after making this album,mainly..guess who..Axl. For me I got tired of hearing every year that this album was dropping. Check out the timeline for the making of this album.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5059

I can't believe more people aren't talking shit about Dizzy's little comment on how he feels the current version of Guns N' Roses is the best lineup he's ever been in.

This son of a bitch has really been running off at the mouth lately. He needs to know his role, which is to play his little keyboard, and shut the fuck up.

Dizzy was in the lineup that included the original members, the guys who built the legend and wrote the music that made the name famous.

He's been saying some blasphemous shit lately. I guess that's why he's stuck around all this time. Another drone.

Edited by GnR Chris

I can't believe more people aren't talking shit about Dizzy's little comment on how he feels the current version of Guns N' Roses is the best lineup he's ever been in.

This son of a bitch has really been running off at the mouth lately. He needs to know his role, which is to play his little keyboard, and shut the fuck up.

Dizzy was in the lineup that included the original members, the guys who built the legend and wrote the music that made the name famous.

He's been saying some blasphemous shit lately. I guess that's who he's stuck around all this time. Another drone.

best in his eyes.. it would make sense for him though.. he was in gnr during the turbulent times.. so it would make perfect sense for him to say that man.

He's been saying some blasphemous shit lately. I guess that's who he's stuck around all this time. Another drone.

best in his eyes.. it would make sense for him though.. he was in gnr during the turbulent times.. so it would make perfect sense for him to say that man.

I do agree with you in that he came on basically when it was all coming undone. At the same time, he should have some respect. It's the way it comes off.

No Madison would have probably have kept him since that's what she tought about the band!

Star is not on this forum anymore.

Now we can all stop trolling and get back on topic!

He's been saying some blasphemous shit lately. I guess that's why he's stuck around all this time. Another drone.

Snob-YOU-SEEM-ANGRY-WHY-U-MAD-BRAH-1.jpg

btw Reported

Edited by bumblecool

No Madison would have probably have kept him since that's what she tought about the band!

thank god for that, it was months in the making lol!

I'll get back to you on this one later tonight ;)

I do agree with you in that he came on basically when it was all coming undone. At the same time, he should have some respect. It's the way it comes off.

You totally contradict yourself. You say he is a drone......but you then say he is being blasphemous by saying the new band is better.

Seems as if he is giving us his honest opinion, regardless of the backlash from fans like you, who think the world revolves and slash and company. In this case YOU would be the drone and Dizzy would be the one speaking a free mind.

To bad. I liked Star. I thought she was funny.

she did go overboard with that thread though, oh well. :shrugs:

Best lineup as in best fun to play with and work with. No petty fighting and behind the scenes bullshit and arguing between these guys like the old band had constantly. Because unlike you, who just idolize the band as a legend, he actually has to live with GnR, and work with them on a daily basis. And I definitely think it'd be easier to get along with Axl, DJ, and Bumblefoot than with Slash and Axl arguing all the time and Izzy ditching shows, or with Buckethead only taking instructions through a mailbox in his chicken coop with his sock puppets and Robin Finck on his trapeze wavering between Axl and Trent Reznor constantly. Think you're the one who needs to shut the fuck up and quit bashing on Dizzy everytime he's mentioned. We all know you're jealous cause you think you could do his job better than him, but fuck you. No one cares about your ignorant opinions.

Edited by Flayer

Dizwald is just giving his opinion.

He's been in GNR forever, and while he's not one of

My fav band members, I respect his staying power,

And he obviously is the most credible one to make this particular comment.

His solo spot in the show is the weak link IMO, if there was one.

I at least respect that he has been in the band longer than anyone but Axl.

Through all the firings, lineups, and meltdowns, the iron fist of Axl hasn't taken him out.lol.

It's probably been reported because he's done this anytime Dizzy comes up in a thread, going out of his way to do so. Just type "Chris Dizzy" into your searchbox, I just did, and it'll return a whole list of threads he's been bashing Dizzy Reed in.