Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

I agree that the Hall Of Fame is pretty much a piece of shit. Madonna is in and thats pretty much all you need to say. The Queen of Pop in the ROCK AND ROLL Hall Of Fame? Ridiculous.

However, whenever GNR has been asked about it, they do seem honored. Which to be honest, all these bands shit talk the place until they're inducted or nominated. The Hall may be a complete mess, but they don't really care because when these bands get inducted they take it pretty seriously or they wouldn't accept.

Now Slash has pretty much said, if not be outright, that he would show up. And I have no reason to believe he wouldn't. Not that I like him more or anything, but he just seems like he has no reason to stay away and he does seem to embrace that period of his life now.

My guesses, and maybe these guys have said something and I've just missed it, but I don't see why Duff or Izzy wouldn't attend. Unless they have something else going on that prevents them from being there, there seems to be no reason why they wouldn't come. And we all know if Steven is on the ballad, probably even if he's not, that he'll be there.

Axl seemed like it was actually an honored during the That Metal Show interview. My guess is he still doesn't show. I'm sorry but I can't see him sharing the stage with Slash and Slash WILL be there. If he wants to be an adult, that would be fantastic, because obviously he should be there, but for a guy that has an already bad reputation of showing up to things, I don't think the Hall Of Fame has much hope.

The only people I don't know about getting in are Matt and Dizzy. Gilby was touring so maybe he deserves to be in but I doubt they consider him. There is no way anyone in NuGuns will be included. Personally, I think Matt will get in and Dizzy is still TBA in my opinion, but we'll see.

The Hall Of Fame did get the Alice Cooper induction correct last year but bringing in the whole band so I do have the slightest glimmer of hope that GNR will get inducted this year and that the lineup is correct. There is a chance.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like CD a little more than AFD (although AFD is my go-to CD whenever I'm about to hit the stage), and a lot of people on this board have this opinion.

But AFD is definitely greater and far more popular.

But again, which is better comes down to opinion. No album is factually better than the other. Otherwise, I'd get egged for thinking Skunkworks is the best album ever. :lol:

I do think 'Chinese Democracy' is better than 'The Spaghetti Incident'. :thumbsup:

You must really hate CD. I respect your opinion and would appreciate it if you respected mine. I think Chinese Democracy is a brilliant album and flowed well. I can sit through it in one listen. The Spaghetti Incident? Would have been better if the lyrics were original.

Here's my ranking

Appetite For Destruction

Chinese Democracy

Use Your Illusion II

GN'R Lies/Use Your Illusion I

The Spaghetti Incident?

If you don't like it too bad.

I think all members who worked on CD plus DJ as he will do future albums should be inducted. If not, then it would be a huge slap in the face and Axl will disown it. The Hall of Fame is a joke anyway. Why do these musicians need a Hall of Fame anyway? Just patting themselves on the back like the fucking Oscars. A goddamn meat parade.

I respect your opinion but I can't do anything if that makes me laugh. I don't think I'm being disrespectful for that. I haven't called you any names or anything. And for the record, I don't hate CD, I kind of like TWAT along with other few songs :)

As far as the RRHOF is concerned, I don't give a flying fuck. Like you said, is shit, but I think it will be legendary for the controversy about Slash and Axl and the little chance of seeing the five former members together since 1990. Tell me you are not a little bit excited about it.

Sure the new members (and now ex-members?) wrote Chinese Democracy, the album you think is better than the Illusions, but they haven't changed rock history, 'Appetite For Destruction' did and that was Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven.

Edited by pi2loc

Anyone other than the below showing up at the RRHOF would be an embarrassment-

Axl

Slash

Duff "King of Beers" McKagen

Steven "Popcorn" Adler

Izzy

The original 5 peforming would be great (obviously). Matt & Dizzy I-could accept/understand...sorta.

Fair enough- but then you're basically inducting a line-up that produced one full album (allbeit arguably the greated Rn'R debut of all-time and one of the great rock records of all-time) and an 8 track EP. I obviously LOVE Appetite and Lies... but that's a little thin to me... especially when the Illusions era- though different- was so epic and saw the band reign as the unquestioned biggest and most dangerous band of rock. Therefore- I think as recording members on Illusions- Matt and Dizzy MUST be inducted as well. I draw my line at Gilby though (and I'm actually a big Gilby fan). Not enough of a recording contribution (other than playing on TSI)- whereas Matt's drums (intro to "You Could Be Mine", slow roll behind "November Rain", "Locomotive", etc.) and the added texture of Dizzy's keyboards to tracks live "Civil War", "Breakdown", etc. are signature parts of the Illusions sound.

Anyway- whatever the case- who we kidding?? Knowing this band- the whole thing will blow up a few days before-hand and Sebastian Bach will end up fronting Buckcherry for a couple GN'R covers and accepting the award. :rofl-lol:

The reply I got was that any member that contributes to the band during a time of critical and/or commercial success gets inducted.

If they go by this rule it may be Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Dizzy, and Matt.

I agree with that. Those 7 should all get in. But that's it.

It's of course a big slap in the face for Axl if only the old band gets in. I wonder if it will affect his cooperativeness.

Hard to tell. Seemed pretty chill/realistic about it on TMS though. Frankly, if he's smart- IMHO he'll let his "cooperativeness" come at the "price" of making 100% sure Dizzy gets inducted and some performance time for the "modern-day" Guns at the ceremony...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Buckethead etc have more credibility than Gilby imo

Agreed- and I really do like Gilby (love "Pawnshop Guitars", "The Hangover", etc.). However, more than anybody (Old Guns or Guns today, etc.)- IMHO Gilby qualifies as a "hired Gun" (emergency substitute to keep a lucrative tour going and recoreded on an all-covers album). That's just viewing Gilby in terms of GN'R though. Gilby's a good musician in his own right that need not apologize to anybody... :thumbsup:

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

It's of course a big slap in the face for Axl if only the old band gets in. I wonder if it will affect his cooperativeness.

Hard to tell. Seemed pretty chill/realistic about it on TMS though. Frankly, if he's smart- IMHO he'll let his "cooperativeness" come at the "price" of making 100% sure Dizzy gets inducted and some performance time for the "modern-day" Guns at the ceremony...

Just being as blunt as possible: There is absolutely no way that "modern day" Guns will play at the ceremony. They aren't the ones being inducted and that has never happened in the past with bands that are similar to this situation. If GNR can't put aside their difference to perform (which I doubt they will), the Hall will get another band to play some covers of their songs. There is no way for Axl to negotiate the new Guns playing at the ceremony and they absolutely shouldn't perform there.

Robert Trujilo was inducted with Metallica before his first contribution to the band was even released. I don't see why Tommy and other members of the band won't get inducted. As far as I am concerned if you just joined an eligible band and they agreed you are to be inducted with them, then you're in.

And I happen to think Chinese Democracy is their best album since Appetite for Destruction. Use Your Illusion I and II were awesome though. I can't understand why anyone would put The Spaghetti Incident? Over CD unless they are Slasholes.

TSI isn't a better album than CD, I mean it can't be, it's all covers...obviously with the GNR spin on them. That being said, I still prefer to listen to it over CD, just because it's the kind of music I love. AFD is the epitome of my kind of music. Chinese Democracy is not. I appreciate it for what it is (an Axl Rose solo record) and listen to it from time to time, but I'd rather put in TSI in my car than CD. But hey, that's just me. I'd listen to AFD, UYI, Lies, or a number of other albums by other bands before I'd put in TSI or CD.

Just being as blunt as possible: There is absolutely no way that "modern day" Guns will play at the ceremony. They aren't the ones being inducted and that has never happened in the past with bands that are similar to this situation. If GNR can't put aside their difference to perform (which I doubt they will), the Hall will get another band to play some covers of their songs. There is no way for Axl to negotiate the new Guns playing at the ceremony and they absolutely shouldn't perform there.

Fair enough.To me it depends whether the RnR HOF really wants to capitalize on this as a MAJOR event or not. Having Axl and Slash together... even close enough to snap off a few photos is big international news (at least from a music/entertainment perspective). If the "price" for getting Axl to be there is to let new Guns perform a few songs (perhaps after giving the alumni with or without Axl a few songs)- I think they may well bite. I could be way off- but the RnR HOF doesn't strike me as a ruthlessly consistent "purist" HOF-type place and to me it would be highly foolish of them to foreclose Axl and Slash being within shouting distance of each other on their property at their event because they don't want to sit through "Better" and "Sorry" or something....

FWIW- I tend to agree with you though that the whole thing (at least the performance piece) is likely to fall apart well before-hand anyway for any number of reasons...

Some people here seem shocked that Stinson has been mentioned yet name Sorum in the same sentence. Really, what the heck has Sorum done that Stinson hasn't?

The AfD lineup should go. No one else. Not Sorum, not Stinson, not Dizzy Reed.

Recorded on several of the tracks that are driving their candidacy (i.e. "You Could Be Mine", "November Rain", "Estranged", "Don't Cry", "Coma", etc.) and toured the world and appeared in videos when the band was at the height of its popularity and success. Same goes for Dizzy.

Some people here seem shocked that Stinson has been mentioned yet name Sorum in the same sentence. Really, what the heck has Sorum done that Stinson hasn't?

In all honesty, Matt Sorum was in the Illusions which I think are 100000x better than Chinese Democracy.

Edited by pi2loc

Fair enough.To me it depends whether the RnR HOF really wants to capitalize on this as a MAJOR event or not. Having Axl and Slash together... even close enough to snap off a few photos is big international news (at least from a music/entertainment perspective). If the "price" for getting Axl to be there is to let new Guns perform a few songs (perhaps after giving the alumni with or without Axl a few songs)- I think they may well bite. I could be way off- but the RnR HOF doesn't strike me as a ruthlessly consistent "purist" HOF-type place and to me it would be highly foolish of them to foreclose Axl and Slash being within shouting distance of each other on their property at their event because they don't want to sit through "Better" and "Sorry" or something....

FWIW- I tend to agree with you though that the whole thing (at least the performance piece) is likely to fall apart well before-hand anyway for any number of reasons...

I will concede that thats a good point. But I think (and this is saying something but) that Axl will realize this is one night that he has to embrace his past and forget about the present. Thats basically what that hall is about. I think if he shows up, he knows what hes in for, and since he said he knew its important to the fans in that TMS interview, we'll see if he can put his money where his mouth is if they get inducted. He at least acknowledged that he knew what the event entails and I don't think he would bring that up as a reason to show up. I agree with you that if it ended up being the case that the Hall would probably give him what he wants just for that publicity. I can't imagine how the other members would react to that and probably not well, but who knows. The only reason I say not well is because the NuGuns isn't being inducted so for them to play anything other than Chinese Democracy stuff (which probably doesn't fall under what the Hall is deeming them for) just seems pointless.

Recorded on several of the tracks that are driving their candidacy (i.e. "You Could Be Mine", "November Rain", "Estranged", "Don't Cry", "Coma", etc.) and toured the world and appeared in videos when the band was at the height of its popularity and success. Same goes for Dizzy.

Yet he had nothing to do with actually writing those tracks. He is as much a hired gun as anyone. Adler gave Guns N' Roses their signature sound with his drumming. All the guys have been quoted as saying. Sorum is a good drummer. He seems like a cool guy. But I really don't feel his inclusion is warranted because he recorded with them on songs they pretty much had already written. Or am I mistaken?

Yeah, I don't know why you all hate Matt Sorum, but he should go in and probably will go in. No one ever said he was the best choice for that band, but when Steven couldn't perform, they needed a drummer, and Matt filled in very admirably. I don't understand why you all seem to hate his drumming but if Guns didn't like it they wouldn't have hired him. He's on all of those Illusions albums, and like whats been said, he toured with them for almost 3 years at the height of their popularity and played the songs absolutely fine. That was a tough role to fill and Sorum never seemed like a dick about it. He definitely deserves to be in with the rest of them. And personally, I don't really care one way or the other for Dizzy. But again, to be blunt, its your beloved Axl that is the reason he's in the band and has stayed in the band since the Illusion era. He must be doing something right and Axl clearly seems to like him and Axl's the guy you're always defending so I'd be surprised if he didn't push for Dizzy to get in with the rest of them.

Stinson has contributed absolutely nothing to the band that is being nominated.

Yet he had nothing to do with actually writing those tracks. He is as much a hired gun as anyone. Adler gave Guns N' Roses their signature sound with his drumming. All the guys have been quoted as saying. Sorum is a good drummer. He seems like a cool guy. But I really don't feel his inclusion is warranted because he recorded with them on songs they pretty much had already written. Or am I mistaken?

I hear you. I do give Sorum credit for pulling off some very recognizable recorded drum perfornances though- like the intro to YCBM and the rather rudimentary- but perfect- Nigel Olson-esque fill on November Rain (something Axl and Matt came up with together). Lastly, and most importantly, he was the drummer (always considered an important part of a rock band) for the band at the absolute peak of its success. The "additional musician" crap only came out when Axl and Matt had their fight several years later and Axl was pointing out Matt's and Gilby's actual literal previous "legal" status with the band. As far as I remember Axl, Slash, Duff & Co. all treated Matt like a FULL-FLEDGED member (at least outwardly) when he was on-board- and that's really what counts for something like this IMHO. Anyway- ultimately I just think that since it's AFD, Lies AND UYI I + II that's primarily driving this candidacy- Sorum and Reed should be included in addition to the classic AFD line-up...

These posts crack me up...

Axl Rose will not perform with Slash, ever, end of discussion, period.

To those who believe it will happen, you live in a fantasy land.

Would Axl share a stage with Slash to accept an award? I doubt it, but I guess that's not impossible.

One thing's for certain, they will not perform together.

I'm starting to think this is going to happen.

I know not a lot has changed for my opinion to change but I really feel like everyone is down for it and it's possible Axl is too. He wasn't that negative about it and I think this event could spark something. Maybe they will all let their emotions out of the bag and squash their egos? They're all older now, wiser, perhaps looking for that amazing feeling they had when they were together again? You know, like when you're going out with a girl and you have a messy break up so you think in your head "I hate that bitch" and she thinks the same of you, all you got is negative feelings and you don't remember the good shit you did together then one day you look back and all the negative is gone and you just think "that was a good time, while it lasted" haha. I don't think there will ever be a CD2 I think even Axl might be getting bored with this whole thing and maybe thinking about the possible reunion at the rock n roll hall of fame and this new tour doing basically the same thing as previous tours. I don't know, there's got to be a lot going on in his head. Contemplation, and the like.

As for who gets inducted, either the classic lineup or classic + Sorum and Dizzy. It's really 50/50 in my mind.