New Axl Interview

The Real McCoy

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The label spent over $13 million dollars on CD and got one record ... surely they want to recoup some more of that money back with a new album. I don't understand what these label issues could possibly be about.

Tommy mentioned this in a recent interview. He said something to the effect of after how long that it took in the first place, that they wouldn't give Axl the final few weeks to finalize the artwork and liner notes. Hence why the album was full of errors.

Edited by The Real McCoy

Wow, some interesting stuff there. Agree with the person who said there weren't enough quotes, would be nice if the article was longer but then again we are fanatics. It was my impression that Peter had just started managing, and he's already out! I find the way Axl goes through managers so frequently to be very strange and rather suspect, but I guess I can see that a lot of them would be interested in making money off a reunion. Surely there must be somebody out there that believes in the current band.

The label spent over $13 million dollars on CD and got one record ... surely they want to recoup some more of that money back with a new album. I don't understand what these label issues could possibly be about.

The band has been firing on all cylinders since the U.S. tour began, so kudos to Beta and family for getting the job done. It certainly sounds like he's ready to either release and/or record some new songs.

My advice: just do the RRHOF, appear on stage with the other guys and be cordial. Make it clear (either there or in an interview beforehand) that it's a one-off. If you can stand it, perform a couple of songs with the guys. If you can't, just accept the award. I like the way he describes this situation (though not in a direct quote) as special yet complicated. Totally on the mark. It really is.

Do you really think Beta has the chops to get this band going?

I suspect they have told Axl they aren't giving him any money to rerecord anything, and that they have paid for material ready to release.

Axl is probably not thrilled at the prospect of releasing an album recorded largely by a group of people not in the band anymore, but at the same time isn't going to foot the recording bill to record with the new line-up out of his own pocket out of the goodness of his heart.

Thus the standoff. I wouldn't give him another cent either if I were the label, as it is more profitable to release the stuff they already paid for even if it is not what Axl wants given the current incarnation of the band.

Tommy mentioned this in a recent interview. He said something to the effect of after how long that it took in the first place, that they wouldn't give Axl the final few weeks to finalize the artwork and liner notes. Hence why the album was full of errors.

I don't know if I buy that. This is just my opinion, but the record company had been trying desperately to wrestle some new music from GNR from at least 1999 through 2006. Check the Tom Zataut quotes - they tried everything. The artwork and liner notes should have been ready in 2002. They should have been ready in 2006. At some point they gave up and stopped funding the recording sessions, so I think that when the label actually received the masters, they may have felt that Axl would change his mind again (and we don't know what he thought at the time), and were determined to finally release this album without any more delays. I don't blame them. Somebody fucked up on the liner notes and we don't know who to blame since we have no information to go on, but Axl's side should have had this stuff ready for a long time, and the record company should have found a way to include the correct liner notes. Perhaps they could have waited, we don't know what deadlines were set for sending it to be manufactured so either side could be at fault.

Okay, people, that means there's going to be no HOF performance with the old band (or the new), and certainly they're not 'rehearsing it' right now. He doesn't want to spoil or ruin it, but that's...

...a far way away from REUNION.

Can we get over that? Please MyGNR? There's NOT GOING TO BE A REUNION. If there was, the 3 management teams since Merk would have accomplished this.

It's not going to happen.

Let it go.

Let it go.

Also, bad:

A professional manager was fired.

Beta and family know more about running Guns N' Roses than I do, but... mixing business with family is "one of those things you don't do" the old saying is - can they leverage the label? LiveNation?

Label stuff still isn't sorted out (like I've been posting for months, THIS is what keeps us from new music).

Good:

The plan is "We'll be putting out new stuff as soon as we can figure out what our deal is with labels, blah blah blah."

He's been fighting to be creative

He's enthusiastic about the band

Beta and family stood up to him (told him what he didn't want to hear?)

Wow, some interesting stuff there. Agree with the person who said there weren't enough quotes, would be nice if the article was longer but then again we are fanatics. It was my impression that Peter had just started managing, and he's already out! I find the way Axl goes through managers so frequently to be very strange and rather suspect, but I guess I can see that a lot of them would be interested in making money off a reunion. Surely there must be somebody out there that believes in the current band.

The band has been firing on all cylinders since the U.S. tour began, so kudos to Beta and family for getting the job done. It certainly sounds like he's ready to either release and/or record some new songs.

My advice: just do the RRHOF, appear on stage with the other guys and be cordial. Make it clear (either there or in an interview beforehand) that it's a one-off. If you can stand it, perform a couple of songs with the guys. If you can't, just accept the award. I like the way he describes this situation (though not in a direct quote) as special yet complicated. Totally on the mark. It really is.

Do you really think Beta has the chops to get this band going?

I know it seems a bit strange, but at some point in time every rock manager had to start managing their first band with no experience. In Beta's case she has been around Axl and Guns for what, 20 years? Certainly since the late 90's she has been very involved with the band and all the various managers. I'm sure she's dealt with all kinds of music industry people, having been managing Axl's affairs for so long. Assuming she is smart and learned from previous managers to some extent, she probably got extensive job training along the way. If she had to go through the traditional career path, we could get her a time machine and send her back in time to take a course and manage an indie band, but wouldn't you learn a hell of a lot more being around a massive band like GNR for so long? Who knows, maybe she took even took that course on the side. It's unorthodox but entirely possible that she is now capable of managing Guns n' Roses.

Hmm so Beta, Fernando and Vanessa have been managing GNR since December 2010. Judging by the results, they have been doing a fantastic job so far. The North American tour has been mind-blowing. If they can manage a new GNR release in the next year or so it will be a major victory for the band and the fans.

Hmm so Beta, Fernando and Vanessa have been managing GNR since December 2010. Judging by the results, they have been doing a fantastic job so far. The North American tour has been mind-blowing. If they can manage a new GNR release in the next year or so it will be a major victory for the band and the fans.

No, December *this* year, as of, like, a few weeks.

I don't know if I buy that. This is just my opinion, but the record company had been trying desperately to wrestle some new music from GNR from at least 1999 through 2006. Check the Tom Zataut quotes - they tried everything. The artwork and liner notes should have been ready in 2002. They should have been ready in 2006. At some point they gave up and stopped funding the recording sessions, so I think that when the label actually received the masters, they may have felt that Axl would change his mind again (and we don't know what he thought at the time), and were determined to finally release this album without any more delays. I don't blame them. Somebody fucked up on the liner notes and we don't know who to blame since we have no information to go on, but Axl's side should have had this stuff ready for a long time, and the record company should have found a way to include the correct liner notes. Perhaps they could have waited, we don't know what deadlines were set for sending it to be manufactured so either side could be at fault.

I'm sure there was artwork in 2002, and probably 2006, but that obviously you'd think of something else for the artwork after 6 years and 3 guitarists? Don't you think they probably had...

2 or 3 album designs?

Peter is out??? Dam he lasted little over a month... Why can't Rose keep a manager...

Because they all just want Axl to do a reunion with the old band.

And Beta is very unlikely to do that.

Something we can use against those idiots who go on about how Old Guns is better than New Guns because they did more stuff and shit.

The less power the managers have, the more power the Lebeis clan gets.

Not that they would ever leverage Axl's personal feelings for them into professional financial gain, but it is financially advantageous to them to keep Axl in a state of mind where he was perpetually unhappy with management, probably with the hope of assuming the job themselves at some point.

Connect the dots people.

Peter is out??? Dam he lasted little over a month... Why can't Rose keep a manager...

She'd never do that. I really think this is great news. Axl's finally got somebody who is going to try and get things done the way he wants them. Beta will no doubt do her best to try and get the next album released.

No, December *this* year, as of, like, a few weeks.

Wow, I totally misread that. So that means it was around the time of the Nashville concert, I guess. Crazy, it seems like you don't normally hear about this kind of thing until much later.

Still, so far so good it seems. The Pacific Northwest concerts looked amazing on YouTube.

She'd never do that. I really think this is great news. Axl's finally got somebody who is going to try and get things done the way he wants them. Beta will no doubt do her best to try and get the next album released.

If it weren't for Beta. There wouldn't be a Guns N' Roses or an Axl today. Thank God for Beta.

Well as with anything involving the Axl camp, I'll hope for the best and expect the worst. Remember how many times CD was going to be released only to have the rug pulled out? New music would be cool, but I've learned not to expect anything.

It'd be great if Axl showed up at the RRHOF and at least gave a speech with the guys. But I understand how it's pretty much a double-edged sword and will only fuel people's appetite for a reunion.

As for Beta, having his ex-girlfriend's housekeeper running the management side does not fill me with any sort of confidence whatsoever

One question that I would really love him to answer is what is the problem with the label? He blamed the label for the CD delay, he's blaming the label for no music now. From an outsider's perspective, it looks like the label has bent over backwards trying to accomodate him. What is it they are doing that is causing him to "trip and fall"?

I also find it interesting that he seems to get upset whenever someone wants to make the tours "smaller". I hope he realizes that it's not 1991 anymore and he's no longer the biggest rock star on the planet. The production, while visually awesome, must cost a ton and when you're playing to half-empty arenas it may be a luxury the band doesn't need.

I'm sure there was artwork in 2002, and probably 2006, but that obviously you'd think of something else for the artwork after 6 years and 3 guitarists? Don't you think they probably had...

2 or 3 album designs?

Obviously there needed to be changes, but how long could it possibly take for a professional to complete liner notes? Whoever decided to wait until it was too late and then ask for the album's pressing to be delayed, if this indeed did happen, is to blame.

It's betas fault

But seriously it's the destination not the journey and 2012 seems to be turning into a great year, some music or anything released will really cap of the past few years of touring