New Axl Interview

The Real McCoy

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best read in a long time. :thumbsup:

well done beta put that foot down, should of done it ages ago heres to a great 2012 :thumbsup:

Its what any good mother would do.

It must be REAL easy to be a manager if she can do it

That isn't fair. Are you telling me that if you spent 20 years dealing with a big rock band on a daily basis, attempting to learn some things and also acting as a de facto manager for the lead singer along the way, that you would still not be qualified to manage that singer's rock band?

Hanging out in the background dusting while business is happening does not make one a businessperson. Saying "Great idea, Axl" only goes so far.

I'm sure they have a close personal relationship and that's fine and dandy. But this is business. Fact is, she's woefully unqualified. I'm not saying it to be negative, but facts is facts. There's a reason Coca-Cola doesn't turn the cleaning staff into VP's.

Did you have a job when you were young, maybe delivering papers or something? Can I then refer to you as a paperboy for the rest of your life, regardless of what job you currently do? I can see that you have no interest in evaluating and discussing this as an adult, unless you're mentally retarded, because clearly anybody can understand that your "example" is idiotic, unless a member of the cleaning staff had managed the vice-president's affairs for well over a decade. Not to mention the fact that being a VP at Coca-Cola is probably more difficult than managing a rock band.

Also, I guess you are admitting that you could not manage a rock band even with twenty years of on-the-job training. I am sorry for you, maybe you really should stick to delivering papers. I am pretty sure I'd be able to do it, especially when you consider that I would have lawyers to handle legal stuff, tour directors to handle tour stuff, assistants, roadies, yada yada yada.

Or maybe you're just sexist, and don't think she can handle it because she's a woman, based on your ridiculous belitting comment about dusting.

great to read...I like Beta as menager...Maybe Bata can make a reunion or Beta can be fired

Or you just can shut your fucking mouth!

Did you have a job when you were young, maybe delivering papers or something? Can I then refer to you as a paperboy for the rest of your life, regardless of what job you currently do? I can see that you have no interest in evaluating and discussing this as an adult, unless you're mentally retarded, because clearly anybody can understand that your "example" is idiotic, unless a member of the cleaning staff had managed the vice-president's affairs for well over a decade. Not to mention the fact that being a VP at Coca-Cola is probably more difficult than managing a rock band.

Also, I guess you are admitting that you could not manage a rock band even with twenty years of on-the-job training. I am sorry for you, maybe you really should stick to delivering papers. I am pretty sure I'd be able to do it, especially when you consider that I would have lawyers to handle legal stuff, tour directors to handle tour stuff, assistants, roadies, yada yada yada.

Or maybe you're just sexist, and don't think she can handle it because she's a woman, based on your ridiculous belitting comment about dusting.

Define "managing the affairs of". What exactly did she DO? If she was so great at "managing Axl's affairs", why the need for the never-ending revolving door of executives? Why did we wait 13+ years for an album and string of stop-start tours? Is it your contention that if Axl had put his housekeeper in charge sooner he would be riding a wave of popularity based on his 21st century output?

How do you know she's had on the job training? Just being around Axl doesn't give her any clue about how to be an effective manager just by osmosis. The music industry, especially at the Axl Rose level, is actually really complicated. It's great to support your client's vision, but there's about a zillion times more to it then that.

If you're so sure you could do it, then do it. I'll be waiting for your updates.

Best read in a long time. :thumbsup:

well done beta put that foot down, should of done it ages ago heres to a great 2012 :thumbsup:

That isn't fair. Are you telling me that if you spent 20 years dealing with a big rock band on a daily basis, attempting to learn some things and also acting as a de facto manager for the lead singer along the way, that you would still not be qualified to manage that singer's rock band?

Hanging out in the background dusting while business is happening does not make one a businessperson. Saying "Great idea, Axl" only goes so far.

I'm sure they have a close personal relationship and that's fine and dandy. But this is business. Fact is, she's woefully unqualified. I'm not saying it to be negative, but facts is facts. There's a reason Coca-Cola doesn't turn the cleaning staff into VP's.

great to read...I like Beta as menager...Maybe Bata can make a reunion or Beta can be fired

Or you just can shut your fucking mouth!

it was a joke...I don't want a reunion or stuff like that,I like new band especially this band with DJ... watched them twice and had great expirience...On my posts on this forum you can read it...On the other hand my thoughts about old band are: They were the best band in 1987-1993,and all the guys were amazing but i can not imagine Axl and the other guys in his 50es on the stage...That will be parody of one amazing band...

I was jokking because it was obviously that all gnr menagers in last decade wanted a reunion and particulary they wern't be a menagers of this band...

And it is obviously that Axl love Beta vut only one stuff can "break the love between them" and name of this stuff is "reunion"

Define "managing the affairs of". What exactly did she DO? If she was so great at "managing Axl's affairs", why the need for the never-ending revolving door of executives? Why did we wait 13+ years for an album and string of stop-start tours? Is it your contention that if Axl had put his housekeeper in charge sooner he would be riding a wave of popularity based on his 21st century output?

How do you know she's had on the job training? Just being around Axl doesn't give her any clue about how to be an effective manager just by osmosis. The music industry, especially at the Axl Rose level, is actually really complicated. It's great to support your client's vision, but there's about a zillion times more to it then that.

If you're so sure you could do it, then do it. I'll be waiting for your updates.

Don't forget the point I was making, that in this example I would have had somewhere between 13 and 20 years of experience working closely with a band. If I was paying attention and fully involved in what was going on during that whole time, then yeah I think I'd be able to do it.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that this is the greatest idea ever, or guaranteed to work. Going back to a couple of points I made earlier, I don't know Beta, I have no idea how smart she is, if she has any business acumen, how closely she was working with the band and previous managers, how much she has learned, etc. You make a fair point that we don't know exactly what she has done. Somebody else provided a good comment, that mixing business and family does not always go as planned. As for on the job training though, I am pretty sure she was involved in a lot of GNR-related stuff since the late 90's. Certainly what we know from MSL's drive supports this, she seemed to be involved in a lot of GNR business dealings previously, Axl has hinted at this as well.

Does Doc McGhee have some sort of PhD in Rock Band Management or something? Brian Epstein was a guy who had taken some acting classes and was working in a record store. His next job was managing The Beatles. It's not like becoming a doctor, which requires years of training, and if you screw up people die. Please tell me what kind of course or experience a person absolutely 100% has to have in order to manage a rock band. You can't, because such a thing does not exist.

All I am saying is that it is quite possible she knows a lot about this stuff by now, and could do a fine job. To keep harping on the fact that she was a "housekeeper" in 1992 or whenever is just an insult based on a complete lack of perspective. Again, if you worked at McDonalds for a while in 1992, then spent the last 20 years learning a whole lot about a particular business and get a promotion, can we say you earned it or dismiss you as a guy who flips burgers?

Edited by axlsalinger

Great interview and insight. 1 critical note: without Slash there would be no catchy worldfamous Sweet Child O Mine riff, without the catchy SCOM AFD would've tanked, with a tanked AFD there would not be a 'GNR world' today.

slash needed lyrics for that song and who wrote it? Axl made slash, slash made axl etc.

Great interview and insight. 1 critical note: without Slash there would be no catchy worldfamous Sweet Child O Mine riff, without the catchy SCOM AFD would've tanked, with a tanked AFD there would not be a 'GNR world' today.

slash needed lyrics for that song and who wrote it? Axl made slash, slash made axl etc.

This. The fact that Axl negates Slash's lead guitar features is dismaying. Sure Izzy wrote most of the guitar riffs, but Guns were never about riffs in a way Metallica were(like say Enter Sandman or Master of Puppets). No one ever really said "Wowwww man check out the riff on Rockey Queen!!!". It was a mixture of the vocals, melodic bass lines and striking lead work that made the band stand out. Slash's solo to SCOM was technical, but yet, chicks loved it, very hard to get the right balance. The were the sum of their individual parts, of course, there will be idiots here and elsewhere that will say it was all because of Axl or Slash....

One thing's for sure....Axl's hate about Slash is still very much alive. I really , really doubt we'll ever see those guys ever again together again... :shrugs:

It can really happen at the RoF. But that would be just to accept the award. I wouldn't bet on them playing together. If Axl was really in financial trouble then this would have already happened...

....."It's headed by Beta Lebeis, a Brazilian woman Rose met when she was his ex-girlfriend Stephanie Seymour's assistant; she began working for him after his tempestuous relationship with Seymour ended in 1993."

Speaking of Stephanie, new photos from last week....yowser!

http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com/post/14519753850/stephanie-seymours-body-laughs-at-father-time?test=faces

....."It's headed by Beta Lebeis, a Brazilian woman Rose met when she was his ex-girlfriend Stephanie Seymour's assistant; she began working for him after his tempestuous relationship with Seymour ended in 1993."

http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com/post/14519753850/stephanie-seymours-body-laughs-at-father-time?test=faces

FUCKKKK!!!!

What I love is that Axl seems to talk about Slash before its even brought up in an interview. It's an....interesting strategy. Perhaps he's doing this as if to say, "there is your juicy story about Slash, now can we get back to the topic at hand?"

Interesting thing about Beta though. Might work, the rest of the band seem to like her as well.

Background and composition

Slash has been quoted as having a disdain for the song due to its roots as simply a 'string skipping' exercise and a joke at the time. In a VH1 special, it was stated that Slash played the riff in a jam session as a joke. Drummer Steven Adler and Slash were warming up and Slash began to play a "circus" melody while making faces at Steven. Izzy asked Slash to play it again, meanwhile Axl was upstairs in his room and heard the 'jam session' going on downstairs and couldn't help but write lyrics. He based it on his girlfriend Erin Everly. With Steven Adler's added drum part, Izzy Stradlin's chords and Duff McKagan's bassline the harmony became the core of the song. Originally, there was a third verse to the song. However, this verse was later cut from recording as the band's producer, Mike Clink, felt the song would carry on for too long. The final dramatic breakdown was not added until Clink suggested the band add one. They agreed, but weren't sure what to do. Axl started saying to himself, "Where do we go? Where do we go now?" Clink suggested that he sing that, and "Sweet Child o' Mine" was born. In an interview with Hit Parader magazine in 1988, bassist Duff McKagan noted:

“The thing about 'Sweet Child o' Mine,' it was written in five minutes. It was one of those songs, only three chords. You know that guitar lick Slash does at the beginning? It was kinda like a joke because we thought, 'What is this song? It's gonna be nothing, it'll be filler on the record.' And except that vocal-wise, it's very sweet and sincere, Slash was just fuckin' around when he first wrote that lick.”

The song is composed in the key of D-flat mixolydian. At the start of the guitar solo, it shifts to the key of E-flat minor, the key in which the song ends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Child_o%27_Mine

Yeah. Hope my wife looks like that at 43. To be fair though... I hope she isn't an incoherent on-again off-again druggie who cheats on me with younger men, burns my cash and fondles our son in public a little bit more...

I hope to God Axl is passed this "Stephanie" stuff by now. In a world full of beautiful women- she's merely one of them.

Peter is out??? Dam he lasted little over a month... Why can't Rose keep a manager...

Because they all just want Axl to do a reunion with the old band.

And Beta is very unlikely to do that.

Hmm so Beta, Fernando and Vanessa have been managing GNR since December 2010. Judging by the results, they have been doing a fantastic job so far. The North American tour has been mind-blowing. If they can manage a new GNR release in the next year or so it will be a major victory for the band and the fans.

Something we can use against those idiots who go on about how Old Guns is better than New Guns because they did more stuff and shit.

Again...most people who did not live through the experience of GNR back in the day will never understand.

This is one of the most ignorant comments I've read in this entire topic. Have you actually met Beta and had a talk with her? Because if you had, you'd know that she certainly is capable of handling the business aspect of GN'R. She knows what she's doing with this band, and talking to her after the show in Hamilton was the most insightful experience I've ever had as to what goes on with GN'R beyond the stage.