New Axl Interview

The Real McCoy

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you're exaggerating axlslashduffizzysteven.... Sure we all want to see that but c'mon man. It is awesome he hasn't shot it down, it's Axl we're talking about. If he wasn't thinking at all about going than he would shoot it down right away, we know that. I think he'll be there at this point.

no exaggeration. i have been waiting 5 years for this and it is what keeps me going.

I hope you're exaggerating axlslashduffizzysteven.... Sure we all want to see that but c'mon man. It is awesome he hasn't shot it down, it's Axl we're talking about. If he wasn't thinking at all about going than he would shoot it down right away, we know that. I think he'll be there at this point.

no exaggeration. i have been waiting 5 years for this and it is what keeps me going.

If your life is that pathetic you might just end it now.

If your life is that pathetic you might just end it now.

i'll wait till april.

I don't know if I buy that. This is just my opinion, but the record company had been trying desperately to wrestle some new music from GNR from at least 1999 through 2006. Check the Tom Zataut quotes - they tried everything. The artwork and liner notes should have been ready in 2002. They should have been ready in 2006. At some point they gave up and stopped funding the recording sessions, so I think that when the label actually received the masters, they may have felt that Axl would change his mind again (and we don't know what he thought at the time), and were determined to finally release this album without any more delays. I don't blame them. Somebody fucked up on the liner notes and we don't know who to blame since we have no information to go on, but Axl's side should have had this stuff ready for a long time, and the record company should have found a way to include the correct liner notes. Perhaps they could have waited, we don't know what deadlines were set for sending it to be manufactured so either side could be at fault.

I'm sure there was artwork in 2002, and probably 2006, but that obviously you'd think of something else for the artwork after 6 years and 3 guitarists? Don't you think they probably had...

2 or 3 album designs?

It's a pretty complex issue I'd say.

The blame can be placed at the following locations:

- Axl/GN'R

- Record Company

- Legal

- Design Agencies

Consider the chain of command & red tape that you have to go through from inception to release:

1. You have to hire an appropriate ad agency/design firm to complete the task for you. That agency has to find those files they worked on in 200X, update them if need-be, and then commence work on it.

This assuming they have the files/materials altogether. The agency may need a print-resolution picture of Buckethead but no one has it. Let's email George to get the picture. George is in bumfuck Kentucky.

It'll be a couple of days. Or another agency could have begun work but is no longer in existence or whomever could have wanted another agency to see it to completion. Gotta get the materials back. It's always

on their grandma's hard drive which is 300 miles away on the wintery slopes of the northern border of the Seven Kingdoms. Waiting... waiting... waiting... Play phone/e-mail tag until you get the necessary materials

that you need (proper lyrics, thank yous, etc.). One delay causes another, causes another....chain reaction... but no Keanu...

2. Legal needs to get clearance from every party involved so that everything can be above board prior to release. Ideally someone would be working on this prior to or in unison with the design process so that

you're maximizing efficiency, reducing your overhead, etc. but for this album I wouldn't say that's reasonable to assume. They probably twiddled their thumbs too... Included in the legal aspect would be

all contract disputes/issues, etc. An ad agency for example could have been doing work and the project could've been completed, but awaited payment from whomever before relinquishing the files.

There's pay on receipt, net 30. As I said before, one delay causes another - elongating this whole process.

3. The Record Company wanted the album out right around the holiday rush and they were sick of Axl taking his time deciding if he liked the Fire Brick Red or the Cadium Red on the drapes better.

They want to recoup their losses. I'm sure (and have heard much as so) that it gets pretty intense/unfriendly between those two. Both parties have a "fuck them" attitude and neither seem to be in a helping

kind of mood. It's purely business and bad blood is built up. The Ad Agency working on the booklet may say "hey this isn't done - we didn't get X, Y, and Z from Person 5 and 6 yet" and the record company said

"fuck you - we're paying... send it now". Even if it wasn't that sinister - they probably had an early proof, time was getting tight so they pulled the trigger and sent it to market.

And then there's the "real booklet". If it hasn't been released for capitalistic consumption then the record company sees that as untapped, speculative capital that they can get revenue from. Axl may have wanted it out no frills but they

see it as an opportunity to leverage a re-release. "No fucker, you aren't releasing that unless it's with a new album - something we can make money off of - we paid for this shit, you fuckweasel"! Bam. No new booklet.

This, all assuming that everyone is doing their job. Most of the time that isn't the case or they aren't even qualified for the position that they hold. Assuming they are - are all departments/parties involved sharing their information across

channels and "working together"? No probably not. Systemic failure in leadership/management of these companies pretty much the same reason Skwerl was able to snag his acorns when he did.

Anyway this is mostly speculation. I'm just providing insight to the nuance of this topic and all of the complexities that result from working with corporate overlords...

Yea , it's the label.......

I think the label says they'll do x and Axl doesn't like x so we get serious delays.

If the label doesn't bend to exactly what axl wants he won't agree to a release.

So looking at it from Axls perspective it is the labels fault. but from the outside looking in it's Axl not compromising. It's not 1991 anymore.

I did not think Axl came off well in that interveiw.

Firing management again, downplaying slashes roll.......

It's now clear to me why Axl can't keep a manager.

He won't bend and accept a common budget, tour, release, etc.

The whole manager wanting a reunion thing docent add up.

You mean to tell me as vocal as axl is about management wanting a reunion and axls track record if furing managers, that rather than going in and doing their job and managing this band they try and sceme up a reunion. I don't buy it.

Axl wants it done his way or no way.

That's why Beta is the manager of GNR and all the big boy managers have come and gone........IMO

I just hope the industry takes Beta and family seriously. Otherwise we may not see Axl for for a long long time again.

Imagine yourself as an executive of GNR's record label, or livenation (or whatever that touring agency is called), you have a MASSIVE band like GNR on your roaster as a potential money making device. The manager of this massive band is the lead singer's housekeeper who has no experience and her position was won basically through nepotism and being close friends with the singer. No legal training, no business training, no experience managing even small time artists. Would you respect them? Of course not. You may dismiss them, try and avoid working with them, or actually try and cheat them.

I'm betting the costs for the next tour will be more than they have been for previous tours as Beta will have no idea what she is doing or how to cut corners and save money.

Just because she's close with Axl and generally cares about him does not mean she is good to manage him. In fact, it could be quite the opposite even if she was competent in the industry. Bad call basically. I've thought Beta was bad for Axl for years now though.

But since you do not know them, your opinion is as informed as my opinion of aliens and ninjas.

It's a pretty complex issue I'd say.

The blame can be placed at the following locations:

- Axl/GN'R

- Record Company

- Legal

- Design Agencies

Consider the chain of command & red tape that you have to go through from inception to release:

1. You have to hire an appropriate ad agency/design firm to complete the task for you. That agency has to find those files they worked on in 200X, update them if need-be, and then commence work on it.

This assuming they have the files/materials altogether. The agency may need a print-resolution picture of Buckethead but no one has it. Let's email George to get the picture. George is in bumfuck Kentucky.

It'll be a couple of days. Or another agency could have begun work but is no longer in existence or whomever could have wanted another agency to see it to completion. Gotta get the materials back. It's always

on their grandma's hard drive which is 300 miles away on the wintery slopes of the northern border of the Seven Kingdoms. Waiting... waiting... waiting... Play phone/e-mail tag until you get the necessary materials

that you need (proper lyrics, thank yous, etc.). One delay causes another, causes another....chain reaction... but no Keanu...

2. Legal needs to get clearance from every party involved so that everything can be above board prior to release. Ideally someone would be working on this prior to or in unison with the design process so that

you're maximizing efficiency, reducing your overhead, etc. but for this album I wouldn't say that's reasonable to assume. They probably twiddled their thumbs too... Included in the legal aspect would be

all contract disputes/issues, etc. An ad agency for example could have been doing work and the project could've been completed, but awaited payment from whomever before relinquishing the files.

There's pay on receipt, net 30. As I said before, one delay causes another - elongating this whole process.

3. The Record Company wanted the album out right around the holiday rush and they were sick of Axl taking his time deciding if he liked the Fire Brick Red or the Cadium Red on the drapes better.

They want to recoup their losses. I'm sure (and have heard much as so) that it gets pretty intense/unfriendly between those two. Both parties have a "fuck them" attitude and neither seem to be in a helping

kind of mood. It's purely business and bad blood is built up. The Ad Agency working on the booklet may say "hey this isn't done - we didn't get X, Y, and Z from Person 5 and 6 yet" and the record company said

"fuck you - we're paying... send it now". Even if it wasn't that sinister - they probably had an early proof, time was getting tight so they pulled the trigger and sent it to market.

And then there's the "real booklet". If it hasn't been released for capitalistic consumption then the record company sees that as untapped, speculative capital that they can get revenue from. Axl may have wanted it out no frills but they

see it as an opportunity to leverage a re-release. "No fucker, you aren't releasing that unless it's with a new album - something we can make money off of - we paid for this shit, you fuckweasel"! Bam. No new booklet.

This, all assuming that everyone is doing their job. Most of the time that isn't the case or they aren't even qualified for the position that they hold. Assuming they are - are all departments/parties involved sharing their information across

channels and "working together"? No probably not. Systemic failure in leadership/management of these companies pretty much the same reason Skwerl was able to snag his acorns when he did.

Anyway this is mostly speculation. I'm just providing insight to the nuance of this topic and all of the complexities that result from working with corporate overlords...

But. They had over 10 years to come up with some album artwork. And the front cover art was done in 2002 or earlier, that we do know. Or yeah, unless they made finishing touches to that for over 6 years.

By that "logic" they had 10 years to release an album... or three albums...

Shit happens, tastes change, new people work on the album, you realize you don't like something... the change the tracklisting & need new art to match different song, blah blah blah.

You don't cut a trailer for a movie until the movie's done, etc.

Edited by Brodie

Sounds to me like Axl is happy. At this point, that's what matters. I, for one, support anything new and former members do. Speculation will continue until the HOF induction. At this point, it's a wait and see situation.

Let's pretend for minute that Axl, deep inside, was excited about reuniting for the HOF induction. He couldn't lead on that he was. His current lineup would fall apart and the tour would end. That would be the final straw for many Guns fans. I'm not saying that is what is going on, I'm just throwing an idea out there. Like he's playing it off or something. Of course, he probably has no intentions of reuniting and is pleased with his current lineup. Only Axl knows...

I know this, I'm excited to hear more new stuff. If it's with the current lineup I think it has potential to be really good. Convincing those with closed minds to give it a chance is another obstacle. Many people I know never gave CD a chance without Slash and company. I have the minset of "it is what it is" and I just enjoy hearing Axl sing.

I just hope the industry takes Beta and family seriously. Otherwise we may not see Axl for for a long long time again.

Imagine yourself as an executive of GNR's record label, or livenation (or whatever that touring agency is called), you have a MASSIVE band like GNR on your roaster as a potential money making device. The manager of this massive band is the lead singer's housekeeper who has no experience and her position was won basically through nepotism and being close friends with the singer. No legal training, no business training, no experience managing even small time artists. Would you respect them? Of course not. You may dismiss them, try and avoid working with them, or actually try and cheat them.

I'm betting the costs for the next tour will be more than they have been for previous tours as Beta will have no idea what she is doing or how to cut corners and save money.

Just because she's close with Axl and generally cares about him does not mean she is good to manage him. In fact, it could be quite the opposite even if she was competent in the industry. Bad call basically. I've thought Beta was bad for Axl for years now though.

But since you do not know them, your opinion is as informed as my opinion of aliens and ninjas.

Except a bit more informed than that. Also you could very well know quite a bit about ninjas, I know enough about them to form an opinion about them. Aliens, less so, but given the size of the universe they almost certainly exist whether in a more primitive form than us or more advanced. Probably both. So your opinion on those two things could be just as viable as my opinion on Beta managing GNR.

What has she been doing the past 15 years? Managing rock and roll bands? Nah, folding Axl's laundry. She is in fact Axl's housekeeper even if she is more involved in business than a regular housekeeper. If you think big time record execs won't laugh at that you're out of it. I'm a small time business graduate and I even laugh at that.

You don't have to know someone, or know every exact detail of a situation, to get some grasp on what's happening.

Okay, Mr. "I Believe In Aliens," I think you're being very condescending in the way you discuss Beta and her role in Axl's life. While I'm sure she does take care of many things including Laundry, she does so in more of a motherly role than a strictly professional housekeeper/client role. But that's missing the point... She's been with Axl. She knows how to manage and work with his uniquely challenging personality. She's the one who can get him on stage. And I do in fact think that she's played a very crucial role in the behind-the-scenes functions of the band. There have been numerous interviews and reports about her helping to select band and crew members for tours. You can be quite certain that she probably heard more of the album in production than anyone outside of Axl. She understands him, his vision, and the true story about how others have literally tried to destroy him. This is invaluable. Especially at this critical point in Guns N' Roses history.

Maybe the Dexter hacker was right after all: "In 2012 there will be new record." :lol:

Cool interview. It's always nice when Axl decides to do one since it happens so infrequently. He seems to be in a good place right now, I mean, he really seems to be getting off on this tour and the band, and he's doing more interviews than usual and talking about far more. He didn't totally dismiss new music which is also awesome, it seems like he's more than ready even after previous comments from him that he wasn't quite done with Chinese Democracy. It looks like 2012 could be very interesting for Guns N' Roses.

Also, I know some are unsure with the decision but I can see why he went with Beta as a manager. I can only imagine what it was like going through some of the managers who had the intention of "forcing" a reunion. Sadly, it's all business and any potential manager would realize that a reunion tour could make them some good money.

Hard to say at this point about the hall of fame. I think it was The Glow Inc who said in another thread that Axl is screwed either way - if he shows up, all it's going to do is bring the reunion talk to new heights and thus make anything with the current band seem "irrelevant" and all that, and if he doesn't show up, then he seems like an asshole who doesn't care. It sounds like Axl doesn't want to disappoint anybody so it's a hard decision. I guess we'll find out in April.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-12-20-axl-rose-interview-20111221,0,691973.story

"Then he said curtly of the induction performance: "There is no plan yet. There really is no plan. We're still busy with this lineup. We're gonna be busy — we're gonna be busy all next year. We'll be putting out new stuff as soon as we can figure out what our deal is with labels, blah blah blah."

:shocked:

Thank you Axl. RRHOF won't derail shit! Keep on dreaming you old cupcakes!!

Why would Axl want do a "reunion" show with Slash? What would he gain? He certainly has a lot to loose....like endless reunion rumours once again...

And what would Slash gain now that he's a successful established artist?

Slash or Axl have nothing to gain and a lot to lose. It would be a career step backwards for both. And a personal hardship on both of them.

Great interview and insight. 1 critical note: without Slash there would be no catchy worldfamous Sweet Child O Mine riff, without the catchy SCOM AFD would've tanked, with a tanked AFD there would not be a 'GNR world' today.

slash needed lyrics for that song and who wrote it? Axl made slash, slash made axl etc.

Exactly, I was just trying to point out that one cannot deny Slash in the GNR history and one should respect any past member's contribution. And for present/future times, I just want new music with the current line up. No interest in repeating past formulas over and over again, we have The Rolling Stones for that department.

Great interview and insight. 1 critical note: without Slash there would be no catchy worldfamous Sweet Child O Mine riff, without the catchy SCOM AFD would've tanked, with a tanked AFD there would not be a 'GNR world' today.

slash needed lyrics for that song and who wrote it? Axl made slash, slash made axl etc.

Exactly, I was just trying to point out that one cannot deny Slash in the GNR history and one should respect any past member's contribution. And for present/future times, I just want new music with the current line up. No interest in repeating past formulas over and over again, we have The Rolling Stones for that department.

It also needed someone to sing it funnily enough don't forget.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones.

This part intrigued me...

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones.

hey axl, you fired steven before the illusions.

Because, really, you can get guys from the "Illusion" thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It's nothing against Izzy and it's nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I'm working with right now, they work really hard and it's hard work. I've toured with the other guys and I've also seen what they've done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don't have an excitement to work with people that joined in the "Illusion" time. There's behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones.

hey axl, you fired steven before the illusions.

axl didn't fire steven. he was fired by his so called best friend slash. axl was the last one to sign the papers.

umm ok.