Has you opinion on DJ Ashba changed since '09?

Cosmo

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. There is nothing I like about Dj Ashba, nada.

Não percebes nada da poda.

I only understand some of Spanish, not Portuguese. Google translate says:

"You do not understand anything about pruning."

No, I don't. I assume you meant some other petty remark though, right?

:rofl-lol:troll-face1-64x64.jpg

Just a funny quote i use sometimes when i have a diferent opinion of the other person. Nothing offensive ofc.

Edited by bumblecool

No.

I still don't like him.

His guitaring is cheesy run-of-the-mill stuff, his sound is generic and I hate his stage antics, hand-behind-the-ear pose, the stupid cigarette and all that. The guy is almost 40 and it's 2011 for fucks sake. DJ is basically a PARODY of anything I like about rock music.

He could gain some resepect if he'd just stop trying so hard and playing it safe all the time, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen any time soon.

Say what you want about Robin Finck but at least he was himself and had his OWN thing going no matter if you liked it or not, at least he was original and brought something NEW to the table.

This a million times. I hated DJ when he joined, and I still hate him. There's nothing remotely interesting or cool about his persona, he's just another rock n roll cartoon character going through the motions, and his guitar playing is painfully mediocre.

Just a funny quote i use sometimes when i have a diferent opinion of the other person. Nothing offensive ofc.

Ni puta gracia.

No.

I still don't like him.

His guitaring is cheesy run-of-the-mill stuff, his sound is generic and I hate his stage antics, hand-behind-the-ear pose, the stupid cigarette and all that. The guy is almost 40 and it's 2011 for fucks sake. DJ is basically a PARODY of anything I like about rock music.

He could gain some resepect if he'd just stop trying so hard and playing it safe all the time, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen any time soon.

Say what you want about Robin Finck but at least he was himself and had his OWN thing going no matter if you liked it or not, at least he was original and brought something NEW to the table.

This a million times. I hated DJ when he joined, and I still hate him. There's nothing remotely interesting or cool about his persona, he's just another rock n roll cartoon character going through the motions, and his guitar playing is painfully mediocre.

Or maybe he isn't going through any motions but that's exactly who he is. Maybe he is out having a blast with his life and career. Getting paid to play rock and roll with Axl Rose. I don't think he is fake at all, I think he is having the time of his life right now.

And Finck was the worst technically of all the GnR guitar players. AND doing his own thing? Ya, changing with the times. First time I saw him with GnR he had a black leather/plastic looking suit on, white make-up, his hair pulled back and looked extremely goth.........the next time he was in jeans, t-shirt and had a huge beard and looked like a completely different person.

Edited by Groghan

I knew about DJ before he joined Guns so I knew he was talented and good at what he does.

Guns is very different from Sixx:AM so I was curious to see how he'd do but I never doubted he'd fit in actually and I guess I was right. He fits in perfectly in the band and he is amazing on stage, aside from Axl he's the one you notice the most on stage cause he interacts so much with the fans and gives his all the entire concert. I was really impressed with him when I saw Guns last year.

I really hope he will have the chance of being on a GNR record cause I really think he and Axl could do amazing stuff together.

No.

I still don't like him.

Or maybe he isn't going through any motions but that's exactly who he is. Maybe he is out having a blast with his life and career. Getting paid to play rock and roll with Axl Rose. I don't think he is fake at all, I think he is having the time of his life right now.

And Finck was the worst technically of all the GnR guitar players. AND doing his own thing? Ya, changing with the times. First time I saw him with GnR he had a black leather/plastic looking suit on, white make-up, his hair pulled back and looked extremely goth.........the next time he was in jeans, t-shirt and had a huge beard and looked like a completely different person.

Finck was a sloppy guitar player with... a unique sense of style, but I would say he had arguably the most memorable guitar parts on Chinese Democracy, that's beside the point here though.

If DJ was an amazing guitar player who wrote amazing songs, I would probably be able to forgive him for his cliche antics and appearance. But the guy simply doesn't do it for me, he try's to play off this dangerous tough guy image but his music is extremely safe generic radio friendly bullshit. Sixx AM is probably one of the worst bands I've ever heard in my entire life, Beautiful Creatures was nothing special, and Saints of Los Angeles was a pretty mediocre album. That's what he has writing credit on, and the thought of him getting his sticky bubble gum paws on Axl's material for the next album scares the hell outta me.

Fuck that guy

Edited by sweetness

Definately, I always liked him but it seemed like the 09 shows were his warm up for the band, his This I Love solo especially was lacking. But in 2010 and 2011 he really does a great job both with the music and with a great stage presence. But the real test will be when he writes new music with GNR

For me the jury is still out till I can see what he'll write with the band. I heard other stuff he's written and I haven't been impressed.

The thing I like best about him is he claims to try to capture Slash's spirit in his guitar work within the band, which I suppose I appreciate considering Slash's work with Gn'R is iconic.

Guest ben9785

No.

I still don't like him.

Yeah, I also agree with this completely. Unfortunately I haven't appreciated anything he has bought to GNR and from his musical resume I don't think his songwriting will do much for me either. I hate his onstage mannerisms, his 'rock and roll' attitude posting stupid photos of himself on facebook trashing a potplant like a drunk girl at her prom who thinks she rocks so hard. Flicking his cigarette down after posing for a solo, dressing like a 14 year old emo. etc

Robin absolutely bought his own character to the band, his own style, and his songwriting really bought a new dimension to the GNR catalogue. As much as I want to hear unreleased GNR music that Finck may have wrote/contributed to, I would rather not hear if it Cashba is going to re-record his own parts.

Overall, like watchman said, he should just stop trying so hard and work on his guitar playing, especially the songs off "Chinese Democracy". He might "nail" Slash's parts but he's a slash-lite and they are a dime a dozen who were influenced by Slash - Probably far more suitable guitarists out there who could fit into GNR, who don't look like they stepped out of "My Chemical Romance - on broadway".

Edited by ben9785

When I saw GNR in LA everyone around me commented on how awesome DJ was. Say what you will about his antics, but they work live.

The crowd loves that shit. He even randomly popped up on the upper level in the seated crowd and started running and playing through the crowd during PC. He brings a lot of energy to the band and it helps make the show that much more awesome

Guest ben9785

I would have preferred GNR hired a credible musician to replace Finck not a ringleader or a team mascot.

Well the majority of the crowd in LA would disagree with you on that one, DJ brought a lot to the show and made it that much more better

Since you were respectful in response I'll counter and say I have to respectfully disagree once again. I much prefer people put the effort into performance rather than posing to the crowd, or 'working the crowd' for response.

Edited by ben9785

I would have preferred GNR hired a credible musician to replace Finck not a ringleader or a team mascot.

Well the majority of the crowd in LA would disagree with you on that one, DJ brought a lot to the show and made it that much more better

Since you were respectful in response I'll counter and say I have to respectfully disagree once again. I much prefer people put the effort into performance rather than posing to the crowd for response.

I suppose we will just agree do disagree on DJ

IMO part of the whole thing is bringing energy to the crowd - which he successfully did. The second part would be the performance aspect, which I can tell you based on the show I was at DJ was playing the songs very well and put a lot of effort into making the songs sound great. The crowd was into it, and the band was firing on all cylinders.

Obviously the true test will be when he writes new material with the band, but I can tell you that if you see GNR live DJ really does bring a lot to the shows in a positive way

I guess his presence also adds something else. You have DJ and Richard, the two more traditional, bluesy rock kind of guys, then you have Ron, who's a zany, off-the-wall motherfucker, Tommy on bass with the punk vibe, Dizzy for piano and Chris for the more experimental electronics, and Frank holding it together with some solid rock drumming. So he kind of brings the sound together more, instead of having Ron, Robin, and Richard all having different styles. So there's still a bit of a different edge to the band's style, but it's also closer to the original band's sound, too. Happy mediums and what not. Still wish he didn't look like a cartoon though.

Please post in English on the forums, otherwise it may be mistaken for something else :thumbsup: