i still cant decipher this axl quote

axlslashduffizzysteven

what was he trying to say? why wouldnt izzy be involved in a reunion? i thought they were on good terms these days.

"The only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It's nothing against Izzy and it's nothing against Steven, or anything like that," he said.

"Steven may want it, but these guys I'm working with right now, they work really hard and it's hard work. I've toured with the other guys and I've also seen what they've done since, and I just know the difficulties. So it's not really even a full reunion."

Guest Len B'stard

A lot of people here interpreted it, since it was followed on by comments regarding the new band as something to do with that but i don't think it is. i think it's just cuz Steven is literally irredeemable in his eyes, both as a musician and a human being and Izzy because of his non-commital nature. With Duff and Slash, you at least know, they'll turn up on the fucking night and they'll put in a show. I think Axl, for all his fault, whatever one might consider them to be, is a consummate professional (notwithstanding the turning up late stuff, i don't think he sees that as a case of unprofessionalism, cuz he's sort of consistent about it, isn't he? That sounds odd to say but it makes a kind of sense, thats his way of doing things and if you want to do the do with him you have to take that for granted).

I don't think there's much more to it than that, seems pretty obvious considering their track record. Izzy can't be relied on to show up and Steven can't be fuckin relied on full stop. The comments are co-joined to comments with working hard and hard work which basically means that Steven and Izzy can't be relied on to do that but Slash and Duff have proved that they can.

I don't think it's a comparitive thing, i don't think he's saying "the people i work with now are the fuckin bollocks as musicians and those two can't offer that quality", it appears to be a comment regarding reliability and commitment although with Steven i think it's partly a musicianmanship thing too.

what was he trying to say? why wouldnt izzy be involved in a reunion? i thought they were on good terms these days.

"The only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It's nothing against Izzy and it's nothing against Steven, or anything like that," he said.

"Steven may want it, but these guys I'm working with right now, they work really hard and it's hard work. I've toured with the other guys and I've also seen what they've done since, and I just know the difficulties. So it's not really even a full reunion."

It sounds to me like he's saying that Steven and Izzy couldn't be depended on for the rigors of a full tour but Slash and Duff could be....weird quote I agree.

Maybe when it comes to the RRHOF set, he's going to have Slash and Duff up with the ChiDem guys to do the songs. To me, it makes sense he'd do it that way - he knows his guys aren't going to fuck it up, and the fact that Slash and Axl together on stage for the first time in ages is going to keep people content. It would come together fast, need no rehearsal time, and Slash and Duff would prob. rehearse with them without Axl present. I actually see Slash letting the guys do some of the solos, or playing off each other. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

I think the only way he'd work with the AFD lineup is some sort of one off benefit show at the Troubadour or Camp Freddy-related.

I think he means that noone cares who is in Guns as long as there is Axl, Duff & Slash.

And the second quotes means that the new guys are easier to work with because they are more professional than the original ones or the UYI line-up.

that's what I understand

Seems pretty simple to me... He's not going to reunite with every member of the hair metal line up, so he doesn't see the purpose in reuniting with a few of them -- especially when those like Izzy and Steven are not the most commercially marketable or the most professionalyl dependable.

Not to mention, they lack the chops to even perform the band's newer material.

Edit: I thought you were going to change your user name. And I thought Guns Guy was going to ban you.

Edited by CoolRanchDressing

Axl's just saying Slash and Duff are the only ones reliable enough to actually pull something like a reunion tour off.

He's right, too: Adler is a total fuck-up and if I were Axl there's no way I would consider working with him either. That guy could potentially cause just so many problems... As for Izzy, he's just got this flighty nature and supposedly doesn't like going on big tours... not exactly ideal either, but I suppose things could be worked out with Izzy.

A lot of people here interpreted it, since it was followed on by comments regarding the new band as something to do with that but i don't think it is. i think it's just cuz Steven is literally irredeemable in his eyes, both as a musician and a human being and Izzy because of his non-commital nature. With Duff and Slash, you at least know, they'll turn up on the fucking night and they'll put in a show. I think Axl, for all his fault, whatever one might consider them to be, is a consummate professional (notwithstanding the turning up late stuff, i don't think he sees that as a case of unprofessionalism, cuz he's sort of consistent about it, isn't he? That sounds odd to say but it makes a kind of sense, thats his way of doing things and if you want to do the do with him you have to take that for granted).

I don't think there's much more to it than that, seems pretty obvious considering their track record. Izzy can't be relied on to show up and Steven can't be fuckin relied on full stop. The comments are co-joined to comments with working hard and hard work which basically means that Steven and Izzy can't be relied on to do that but Slash and Duff have proved that they can.

I don't think it's a comparitive thing, i don't think he's saying "the people i work with now are the fuckin bollocks as musicians and those two can't offer that quality", it appears to be a comment regarding reliability and commitment although with Steven i think it's partly a musicianmanship thing too.

To me, Steven and Slash working on one song that became a bonus track in 20 years time says a lot.

I think he means that noone cares who is in Guns as long as there is Axl, Duff & Slash.

And the second quotes means that the new guys are easier to work with because they are more professional than the original ones or the UYI line-up.

that's what I understand

It might mean just that IMO.

Most of the so called public does not really miss the whole band but Slash and his top hat. He was so recognizable there's something missing for them. For most of the people who hate Axl for "braking up the band" GnR was Slash and Axl, the guitar hero and the loudmouth.

If a "reunion" involved only Slash and Axl the public would piss their pants with joy.

Edited by zbyram

B/c Izzy would very likely flake out leaving Axl holding the bag...

A bit off point- but I disagree with Axl's notion that the public DEMANDS the AFD line-up though. I think it's more a "preference" than a requirement. IMHO a tour that featured ANY line-up that included Axl, Slash and Duff would be MASSIVE. Axl could fill out the rest of the line-up with Dizzy, DJ and/or Richard (rhythm/lead) and Frank if he really wanted and it would STILL be huge.

All that said- I completely agree with Axl's decision to plow ahead with the current line-up... Lots of good momentum going and getting together with the alumni would just present too many variables IMHO...

I will throw in my two cents

I think he may be saying that Slash and Duff have been busy working on other projects and being successful while Steven is rung a fuck up and Izzy has been busy but he isn't doing the big tours. Of all the guys from the original lineup Slash and Duff are the two he would see work as a lineup and it wouldnt be a real reunion because Steven and Izzy won't be there. He also mentions the guys he work with work very hard suggesting he'd rather work with them.

Edited by BirdCatcher

that's what I understand

Yeah, that's what I think he was trying to say

This.

Both Steven and Izzy have been replaced before with no complaints from the fans. Slash and Duff are who they really want.

Seems pretty simple to me... He's not going to reunite with every member of the hair metal line up, so he doesn't see the purpose in reuniting with a few of them -- especially when those like Izzy and Steven are not the most commercially marketable or the most professionalyl dependable.

Edit: I thought you were going to change your user name. And I thought Guns Guy was going to ban you.

changing my username is complicated it appears and i thought guns guy was going to give me some special year membership thing.

Maybe when it comes to the RRHOF set, he's going to have Slash and Duff up with the ChiDem guys to do the songs.

.....i can hear adler's OD right now.

This.

Both Steven and Izzy have been replaced before with no complaints from the fans. Slash and Duff are who they really want.

Which is kinda sad in my honest opinion...

what has Slash done more than Izzy apart from wearing a cool hat?

I don't think that has anything do do with this. I mean if Axl is going to perform a song or two with Slash and Duff they sure as hell aren't going to do anything off Chinese Democracy

Not all fans know what Izzy did for Gn'R. He always was the hidden guy. Not all fans cared about whatever happened behind the scenes or who contributed to most Gn'R songs.

Not all fans know what Izzy did for Gn'R. He always was the hidden guy. Not all fans cared about whatever happened behind the scenes or who contributed to most Gn'R songs.

That actually kinda pisses me off a bit, I know I shouldn't get pissed of with stuff like this but... If Axl were to reunite with Izzy and just Izzy, it'd be the most productive member for him to reunite with but the media and casual fans wouldn't really give a fuck.

That actually kinda pisses me off a bit, I know I shouldn't get pissed of with stuff like this but... If Axl were to reunite with Izzy and just Izzy, it'd be the most productive member for him to reunite with but the media and casual fans wouldn't really give a fuck.

As much as I love Slash, that's true my friend.

I think he's saying he's cool with Slash and Duff..

He's kind of saying he'd love to do one with Izzy, but Axl has CLEARLY shown frustration with izzy since izzy shows up less to shows than axl ever did..

Remember when he did the interview on eddie trunk?? He said izzy was supposed to be here tonight, but rented a tour bus and drrove it around himself instead..I think Axl has frustration with his good buddy and not the others I mean since when does he consider reuniting with slash?!?!

And in regards to steven, y would he want to reunite?? The guy still bad mouths axl and whines he wants a reunion..even I think it's old, pathetic, and sad.

/thread :thumbsup:

No guys. He's saying Duff and Slash are reliable. Izzy likes to travel and live on his own terms and Adler, well that's obvious. It won't work with these two guys. Izzy didn't want to join VR, he won't re-join GN'R. He's happy to perform as a guest every now and then, as we've seen.

Exactly!! Glad I'm not the only one who understood that lol..

Izzys not dependable but I doubt he was ever offered to truly reunite with Guns..Axl seems like the kinda guy where once ur out..ur out, no going back. U may not have meant that lol if u did i apologize..but regardless yes he was invited to many shows and u never know if he's gonna show up..he's a bigger gamble than axl rose himself.