Guns N' Roses - Graspop 2012

st0n3r

Awesome lineup. A very 'Metal' festival for GnR to headline. Hopefully they will be well received and there's not too many wankers that have the attitude that Guns are not heavy enough - what do you all think?

They were very badly received in 2006, and deservedly so. It was a shitty show and and they let people wait for two hours in the rain.

I was there, and there was no rain, and the organisation let Soulfly play a longer set, so the crown doesn't have to wait too long. Graspop keeps booking more rock act lately, like Buckcherry, Whitesnake etc... But they didn't play very well in 2006, that's why I think it was not so good received.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome lineup. A very 'Metal' festival for GnR to headline. Hopefully they will be well received and there's not too many wankers that have the attitude that Guns are not heavy enough - what do you all think?

They were very badly received in 2006, and deservedly so. It was a shitty show and and they let people wait for two hours in the rain.

I was there, and there was no rain, and the organisation let Soulfly play a longer set, so the crown doesn't have to wait too long. Graspop keeps booking more rock act lately, like Buckcherry, Whitesnake etc... But they didn't play very well in 2006, that's why I think it was not so good received.

It was raining like hell in 2006. The crew had a lot of work cleaning the stage before Guns started their show. Soulfly was booked at last as headliner in 2010, the year Guns was supposed to play at Graspop.

It was raining like hell in 2006. The crew had a lot of work cleaning the stage before Guns started their show. Soulfly was booked at last as headliner in 2010, the year Guns was supposed to play at Graspop.

This. Don't bullshit. WHen it's bad, we should say it as well.

Edited by st0n3r

Hmmm , interesting. Hopefully they will play like the past couple of years and blow all the metalheads away and make some new fans!

If they play like the last concert in Antwerp and don't leave people waiting for two hours, that shouldn't be a problem. :thumbsup:

Kiss, Aerosmith, Scorpions etc. have all been received very well there these last few years, so if GNR puts on a solid show, that won't be different.

Edited by st0n3r

My bad, it was indeed raining later that night, Soulfly played before GNR in 2006, Korn should play between them, but cancelled. So Soulfly played almost 90-100 minutes.

The tons of rain, I think I missed that,... I remember wearing a t-shirt for the entire day, without getting overly wet... Had been waiting for 1,5 hrs in the second front row, with young metal chicks collapsing, guys booing and hippies taking a piss next to people's feet, but once the show started it was great. Axl's voice was at one of it's most raspy points in that tour. Only thing absolutely unbearable was the Robin solo. It was exceptionally bad that day, and that sure as hell means something. Incredible showman, but horrible lead guitarist in a live setting. The Antwerp show had a much greater 'fluency' though. Plus his voice was even stronger. Vocally, Belgium seems to be more hit than miss for Axl. (Werchter '93 was awesome also). Anyway, I'm happy they are coming back, but I'm afraid no show can top Antwerp Sportpaleis '10 form a personal POV.

My bad, it was indeed raining later that night, Soulfly played before GNR in 2006, Korn should play between them, but cancelled. So Soulfly played almost 90-100 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm , interesting. Hopefully they will play like the past couple of years and blow all the metalheads away and make some new fans!

If they play like the last concert in Antwerp and don't leave people waiting for two hours, that shouldn't be a problem. :thumbsup:

Kiss, Aerosmith, Scorpions etc. have all been received very well there these last few years, so if GNR puts on a solid show, that won't be different.

I'm sorry, but there really is no way to compare all those bands to GNR.

A LOT of people dislike GNR because of their history. So they have to deliver 3 X as much as the bands above, because people EXPECT to see a shitty show.

I loved the first show at Graspop, but I remember a lot of people didn't. My girlfriend at the time for one, after a while just sat down when the solo pieces came. And she wasn't all wrong, some of them were boring as hell.

Anyway, the opposition is strong, but I hope a lot of people will go home pleasantly surprised.

• 3 months later...

Little bit of random news: I just read an interview with the communication officer of Graspop and she had this to say on a question by some magazine on GNR:

Magazine: "One could say you took a big risk with the headliners this year. Ozzy Osbourne didn't show up last year, lots of metalheads despise Limp Bizkit and GNR is well known to show up hours late for shows."

Communication officer: "(...) If you can get GNR, you do not doubt one minute. Everybody knows those songs! Off course there is a lot of commotion about the diva-behaviour of Axl Rose, but we have no doubt that everything will be fine. There are no extraordinary demands on his rider, and the playlist that is circulating on the internet looks good. Axl is allowed to play from 22h30 until 2h30. The later he starts, the less he can play. There are also rules for him."

bottom line: Axl has more than enough time to play a complete set this sunday.

Edited by st0n3r

http://www.skynet.be/muziek/festivals/graspop-2012/live

still "?" next to GNR, so no news now.

It appears that most bands have the "?" so who knows....

Yeah, guess you'll have to wait. But that's definitely the link to watch.

Here, a little video that shows the atmosphere at the festival quite good, it was played at the very end once. It was also as a tribute to Dio, who passed away that year.

Edited by st0n3r