Van Halen 1st week sales vs Chines Democracy 1st week sales

GNFR2003

Eddie Trunk just said that Van Halen's new album sold just under 200,000 during its first week, and made a good point. That, that # of sales in 2012 is equivalent to selling about 900,000 1st week in the 90's, now that there are so many ways to access the music.

Van Halen's disc was available in all music stores, in all cities and locales, whereas CD was only available in Best Buy. CD sold about 265,000 in its 1st week, and also was the most listened to album on Myspace ever in a 24 hour period (millions of spins that first week); and is considered the most illegally downloaded album ever (the Skwerl leaks are when this really was downloaded by millions across the world, not to mention millions of downloads before that with the IRS, TWAT, Blues, and CITR leaks). All things considered, CD was a very successful effort by 2008 standards (really not much different than early 2012 in regards to file sharing, and internet access to the material). Moreover, I don't believe Van Halen or any other hard rock act out there besides Metallica is as universally popular around the globe as GN'R (who are huge in Asia, South America, Australia, and Europe).

With GN'R re-establishing their credibility and popularity in the United States, the prospects for success with upcoming releases (available at all music shops) and touring is very significant. If they can manage to release something late this year, or early next year and continue touring, the sky is the limit! The band is no doubt, more popular right now than anytime post 1993! It's a great time to be a GN'R fan--god bless this band---American Bad Asses to the corp!

Edited by GNFR2003

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new album in 2012 would be great, hell, even 2013 would be great. I'm sure not gonna hold my breath for it though. I hope Axl lets Ashba do some writing & producing on the next album. I liked the last Crue cd, which Ashba had a big hand in, and he really helped out the boys in The Last Vegas with their album, made their songs so much better.

Eddie Trunk just said that Van Halen's new album sold just under 200,000 during its first week, and made a good point. That, that # of sales in 2012 is equivalent to selling about 900,000 1st week in the 90's, now that there are so many ways to access the music.

Van Halen's disc was available in all music stores, in all cities and locales, whereas CD was only available in Best Buy. CD sold about 265,000 in its 1st week, and also was the most listened to album on Myspace ever in a 24 hour period (millions of spins that first week); and is considered the most illegally downloaded album ever (the Skwerl leaks are when this really was downloaded by millions across the world, not to mention millions of downloads before that with the IRS, TWAT, Blues, and CITR leaks). All things considered, CD was a very successful effort by 2008 standards (really not much different than early 2012 in regards to file sharing, and internet access to the material). Moreover, I don't believe Van Halen or any other hard rock act out there besides Metallica is as universally popular around the globe as GN'R (who are huge in Asia, South America, Australia, and Europe).

With GN'R re-establishing their credibility and popularity in the United States, the prospects for success with upcoming releases (available at all music shops) and touring is very significant. If they can manage to release something late this year, or early next year and continue touring, the sky is the limit! The band is no doubt, more popular right now than anytime post 1993! It's a great time to be a GN'R fan--god bless this band---American Bad Asses to the corp!

Van Halen's album is much better than CD.

Great point. If it was properly promoted and if it was avaliable through Wal-Mart (they have a muuuuuuuch bigger number of stores in the US than Best Buy) I'm sure it would have sold way more copies. That being said, if they use the HOF up close & personal tour and the next European (festival) tour to get attention from everybody they can sell a whole fkn' lot, I'm sure. Of course Axl being the key component here - he needs to do press, perform, do interviews... show the fkn' world that he's releasing an album. If he's gonna his ass @ his home and watch the band members promote the next album it won't sell as much obviously. He needs to promote the thing, simply put. And of course they need a radio friendly single - not as much as Bon Jovi's pop rock tunes, but a song like Better could work if promoted properly. They need a clip as well, so the single will be aired.

If he doesn't do any of that he shouldn't cry out loud complaining that Universal/Geffen didn't want to promote it like he did with CD...

Van Halen didn't have a decade of hype around their album though.

For an album with Roth? No, they had 26 years of hype around it. This shows that for a rock album, CD sold extremely well. When people say it was a commercial disappointment, they're right. It was released with a marketing campaign the likes of which could be compared to a silent fart. But a disappointment *sales wise* it was not.

You should end these kind of statements by including "imo" because that is all that it is. By no means is this supported by any facts.

I happen to love Chinese Democracy and believe it is nothing short of a masterpiece. As long as Axl performs, regardless of who with, it is GNR to me. Everyone else is replaceable.

Ali

Don't feed the cupcakes and they go away.

For an album with Roth? No, they had 26 years of hype around it. This shows that for a rock album, CD sold extremely well. When people say it was a commercial disappointment, they're right. It was released with a marketing campaign the likes of which could be compared to a silent fart. But a disappointment *sales wise* it was not.

Yes. You are correct, sofine11. Chinese Democracy was critically acclaimed and every legitimate publication that reviewed the album praised it.

Anyone who attempted to say anything negative about any of the songs were those who were unable to move past Slash. I still listen to Chinese Democracy daily, and I am still discovering hidden treasures within nearly every song.

Ali

It's a great album, no doubt. I remember the Eagles Of Death metal singer stating when CD came out "You can say what you want about Axl, but you just can't call it a bad album." No one had greater cause to have an agenda more then him after Axl had them booted from the 06 tour, so it was cool to hear an objective comment like that.

The handful of posters that say that it's awful had their minds made up before they heard 1 note, since they knew Slash wasn't going to be on it. I've never been able to take that type of agenda-filled opinion seriously, so it doesn't really phase me when they say it.

Edited by sofine11

You can't compare the hype around VH's latest to the decade of hype and mystique Axl had with CD.

CD was always going to have strong initial sales no matter what. I truly believe they shoud have never streamed the whole thing over Myspace beforehand, it probably would've went to number 1 based on curiosity alone. I do feel the end result would have been the same though.

Edited by BS11290

Van Halen did a great job promoting it, but to release it the week of the Grammys might have been badly timed if they wanted a guaranteed #1. Had they played Super Bowl halftime, they prob. would've had it.

The rumors about Van Halen's CD were just within the last year, stuff about Ed not liking Dave's voice or the songs not being the way they wanted them to be. They also were without a record label when they recorded it, so when it came time to shop it around, it was either close to finished, or was completely finished.

Van Halen went with the formula that works for them, they tried to change their sound on III but it fell short. Ed still stands by it.

Yes. You are correct, sofine11. Chinese Democracy was critically acclaimed and every legitimate publication that reviewed the album praised it.

Anyone who attempted to say anything negative about any of the songs were those who were unable to move past Slash. I still listen to Chinese Democracy daily, and I am still discovering hidden treasures within nearly every song.

Ali

It's a great album, no doubt. I remember the Eagles Of Death metal singer stating when CD came out "You can say what you want about Axl, but you just can't call it a bad album." No one had greater cause to have an agenda more then him after Axl had them booted from the 06 tour, so it was cool to hear an objective comment like that.

The handful of posters that say that it's awful had their minds made up before they heard 1 note, since they knew Slash wasn't going to be on it. I've never been able to take that type of agenda-filled opinion seriously, so it doesn't really phase me when they say it.

Who the fuck is this? How can someone post with the same screen name as me? Reported

Ali

Edited by Ali

Hell the fuck no it isn't. It's good, not great by any means.

Ali

Ali

Who the fuck is this? How can someone post with the same screen name as me? Reported

Ali

Someone did it to volcano62, too. I'm thinking GN'F'N'R?

Obviously this won't be a popular opinion. I love CD as much as the next person, but VH's new album is much much better. I'm sure I'll be labelled a cupcake, though. Meh.

The rock songs on Van Halen's album are much better. CD isn't really a fun time party album and that's kind of why it didn't go over very well with the general public.

Ali

Ali

Someone did it to volcano62, too. I'm thinking GN'F'N'R?

Maybe?

Ali

Funny.

Not even close to being true.

But thanks for the laugh. And I'm a van halen fan