Guitar Solo

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Jump

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a good time in Vancouver last night. Eddie, Wolfgang and Alex were really tight, but Diamond Dave was fairly shit vocally although he sort of made up for it with his charisma. The setlist was way better in 07, along with Dave's voice, however Eddie wasn't as good as he was last night. They should have really replaced some of the songs they played last night with Mean Street, Jamie's Crying, Blood and Fire, and You and Your Blues. The concert kind of lagged in the middle due to the old album tracks they played. I even sat down for a couple songs at one point, though that had a little something to do with dehydration from drinking the afternoon away.

Edited by ITW 2012

Had a good time in Vancouver last night. Eddie, Wolfgang and Alex were really tight, but Diamond Dave was fairly shit vocally although he sort of made up for it with his charisma. The setlist was way better in 07, along with Dave's voice, however Eddie wasn't as good as he was last night. They should have really replaced some of the songs they played last night with Mean Street, Jamie's Crying, Blood and Fire, and You and Your Blues. The concert kind of lagged in the middle due to the old album tracks they played. I even sat down for a couple songs at one point, though that had a little something to do with dehydration from drinking the afternoon away.

Blood And Firs is incredible live...I really wish they'd have permanently replaced TTWN with it. I'm really glad to be able to say I saw it live though, because it doesn't seem like it'll make a return to the set B)

Dave pulled out a "I forgot the fucking lyrics" on Chinatown. I'm guessing him saying that is more of a gimmick though as I've seen him say it before.

I think its a skit. He did it in St.Louis too....

No, he legitimately doesn't know his shit on China Town. The band sounds great on it, and Dave fucks it up one way or another every single night. For the record, he pulled out the "I forgot the lyrics" line on Girl Gone Bad in Toronto.

Blood And Firs is incredible live...I really wish they'd have permanently replaced TTWN with it. I'm really glad to be able to say I saw it live though, because it doesn't seem like it'll make a return to the set B)

Dave pulled out a "I forgot the fucking lyrics" on Chinatown. I'm guessing him saying that is more of a gimmick though as I've seen him say it before.

No, he legitimately doesn't know his shit on China Town. The band sounds great on it, and Dave fucks it up one way or another every single night. For the record, he pulled out the "I forgot the lyrics" line on Girl Gone Bad in Toronto.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Blood and Fire in London. Doesn't seem likely though. :(

I agree with China Town. Dave isn't strong on it anyways. It's probably smart of him to pull the "I forgot the fucking words" on China Town because it makes it seem like it's a skit which covers up the fact that he actually doesn't know the words to the damn song. It's too bad because Eddie, Wolf, and Alex absolutely nail it. For that reason, I enjoy seeing it in the set but wouldn't mind it getting replaced. It's been the song that's continually off for Dave. Lose it I say! Play Mean Street instead so I can die a happy man after London.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Blood and Fire in London. Doesn't seem likely though. :(

I agree with China Town. Dave isn't strong on it anyways. It's probably smart of him to pull the "I forgot the fucking words" on China Town because it makes it seem like it's a skit which covers up the fact that he actually doesn't know the words to the damn song. It's too bad because Eddie, Wolf, and Alex absolutely nail it. For that reason, I enjoy seeing it in the set but wouldn't mind it getting replaced. It's been the song that's continually off for Dave. Lose it I say! Play Mean Street instead so I can die a happy man after London.

If they drop it, it's certain to get replaced with another ADKOT song. I'd like to see As Is, but that probably wouldn't be any easier for Dave. Big River, anyone?

If they drop it, it's certain to get replaced with another ADKOT song. I'd like to see As Is, but that probably wouldn't be any easier for Dave. Big River, anyone?

As Is would be nice, but hey, I wouldn't complain about Big River. One of my favorites off the album.

I'm really surprised that they haven't played You and Your Blues at all, even once. Since it was the lone song off A Different Kind of Truth that made the unplugged DVD I figured that meant they'd have an interest in doing it. I think China Town surprised me the most when they started the tour. I didn't expect that one at all.

Dave needs to hire a vocal coach and put some effort into his singing. His voice is terrible when you compare it to the 07 tour. It must piss Eddie, Wolfgang and Alex off. They are carrying Dave; musically that is.

Edited by ITW 2012

Dave needs to hire a vocal coach and put some effort into his singing. His voice is terrible when you compare it to the 07 tour. It must piss Eddie, Wolfgang and Alex off. They are carrying Dave; musically that is.

Dave could save a lot of his voice if he just sang. When he sticks to the songs as they are, he tends to sound a lot better. Other times he's busy adding extra growls or yells that only seem to be hurting his voice. Also, some songs like Dance the Night Away he seems to overshoot his vocals a bit. I know he can still sing because some songs sound great. Beautiful Girls on the unplugged DVD, for example, shows him just singing it straightforward and it works. His voice has changed but it still sounds good. If that was the approach he took every night, he'd be fine.

His voice hasn't stopped me from enjoying the shows though. I'm mainly there for Ed, and the band is tighter than ever.

Dave could save a lot of his voice if he just sang. When he sticks to the songs as they are, he tends to sound a lot better. Other times he's busy adding extra growls or yells that only seem to be hurting his voice. Also, some songs like Dance the Night Away he seems to overshoot his vocals a bit. I know he can still sing because some songs sound great. Beautiful Girls on the unplugged DVD, for example, shows him just singing it straightforward and it works. His voice has changed but it still sounds good. If that was the approach he took every night, he'd be fine.

His voice hasn't stopped me from enjoying the shows though. I'm mainly there for Ed, and the band is tighter than ever.

Pretty much my thoughts. Dave seems to worried with trying to reinvent the vocal parts more than anything, and I respect that, but if he isn't gonna sound killer on them then he should stick more towards the original vocals. DTNA for example, I don't feel that he "overshoots" in the sense that he doesn't have the finesse to hit the correct pitches all the time, but I feel like he wants to sing the song different. I mean, the melody the way he sings it now sounds nothing like the studio version.

Just read on a Van Halen website that they are postponing 30 concert dates, July, Aug and Sept. No reason given. Anybody else hear about this?

Yep, I wonder what's up.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-postpone-2012-tour/

Fuck, that's really bad news for me. We bought tickets for our friends who were gonna go with us following Maiden. I doubt we'd be able to get a partial refund (If they even offer them). Not to mention I feel bad all our European friends get to miss out now... :(

The only dates postponed were the ones that they recently announced, and sold tickets to for some reason. Rumor is that they put them off so that they could do shows overseas. Doesn't seem to be infighting or health issues, which is great. Wait and see though I suppose. I've got tickets to their next show in St. Paul, so I suppose I'll get to see first hand whether or not they seem to be fighting.

Edited by mrandyk

The only dates postponed were the ones that they recently announced, and sold tickets to for some reason. Rumor is that they put them off so that they could do shows overseas. Doesn't seem to be infighting or health issues, which is great. Wait and see though I suppose. I've got tickets to their next show in St. Paul, so I suppose I'll get to see first hand whether or not they seem to be fighting.

Plenty of dates were postponed in '08 too. It's not fighting, I can guarantee that ;)

Plenty of dates were postponed in '08 too. It's not fighting, I can guarantee that ;)

I really hope they aren't fighting again, but this situation has more plausible explanations than them fighting. My guess would be Dave needing time to recover or an issue with the promoter since these are just the recently announced dates. If they really did postpone the shows to make way for a Euro tour...well that would just be incredibly stupid since these have been on sale a while. Can't wait to see them tomorrow though, will be interesting.

It's kind of a whatever for me, but what does piss me off is that no information has been given has far as rescheduling goes or if/when refunds will be available. Hopefully within the next couple days we'll hear more.

If it's true about putting them off in favor of European dates then that's dumb. These dates have been on sale a while, several were even sold out. Why not finish and tour Europe in the fall? Time will tell.

The VHND has an update:

Why were these dates postponed? The band has been working tirelessly for the last 18 months – writing and recording “A Different Kind Of Truth”, filming the “Tattoo” video, rehearsing, putting together the show themselves (lighting, the videos, the stage, routing the tour, and lots of behind the scenes stuff that most people don’t even know about). The band wants the second leg to be as awesome as the first. And for that to happen they want to put more time into the planning of it. Not just continue on with the same show.

Van Halen is very enthusiastic about the rest of the tour and wants be on the road for a long time. Just how long remains to be seen, but we’ll say that the tour will probably continue into next year. They are now considering touring Australia and Japan in the near future.

As it stands now, the 31 postponed US shows are due to be rescheduled. There should be some sort of official announcement forthcoming.

They're usually right on the money with Van Halen news so I believe it. Sounds like the band just wants a break. It'll probably do Dave well. The part that intrigues me is them not wanting the second leg to be identical to the first.

The VHND has an update:

Why were these dates postponed? The band has been working tirelessly for the last 18 months – writing and recording “A Different Kind Of Truth”, filming the “Tattoo” video, rehearsing, putting together the show themselves (lighting, the videos, the stage, routing the tour, and lots of behind the scenes stuff that most people don’t even know about). The band wants the second leg to be as awesome as the first. And for that to happen they want to put more time into the planning of it. Not just continue on with the same show.

Van Halen is very enthusiastic about the rest of the tour and wants be on the road for a long time. Just how long remains to be seen, but we’ll say that the tour will probably continue into next year. They are now considering touring Australia and Japan in the near future.

As it stands now, the 31 postponed US shows are due to be rescheduled. There should be some sort of official announcement forthcoming.

They're usually right on the money with Van Halen news so I believe it. Sounds like the band just wants a break. It'll probably do Dave well. The part that intrigues me is them not wanting the second leg to be identical to the first.

Fair enough for me. Maybe I'm being extra-hopeful, but I foresee a bit of a fresh setlist for the second leg... :book: