[SPOILER ALERT] Van Halen 2012 tour discussion

Turn_It_Up

Just watched the China Town clip again.I just realized how much time I spent concentrating on Wolf.

The guy is fucking good!

He really is. The guy knows his way around the bass. Great videos by the way! :thumbsup:

I stumbled across this the other day:

Wolfgang would have been 13 or so here. Since Eddie was such a wreck on the 2004 tour, I'd say Wolf is actually playing it better than Eddie when he comes in. :lol:

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really bummed I missed last night, I thought about going to it after State College got cancelled. Now I'm regretting it, and decided to to Pittsburgh on Friday with the chance of hearing Blood And Fire. Glad I decided to too, because I brought up 12th row in the section directly next to the stage, on Eddie's side B)

Tonight's show saw Jamie's Cryin' instead of Mean Street/Hear About It Later, and Blood and Fire instead of The Trouble With Never. I absolutely want to hear Jamie's Cryin', but not at the expense of a Fair Warning tune.

Damn it! I wish I could go to more shows on this tour. I'd rather hear Mean Street or Hear About It Later than Jamie's Cryin', but I'd kill to see Blood and Fire.

I forgot to post before, but I went to the Buffalo show a few weeks ago. It was awesome. Couldnt believe Dave could still do the high kicks. I will say Wolfgang wasnt quite as good as Michael Anthony with the backing vocals.

I also think they played maybe 1 or 2 new songs too many. Could have taken them out and put in other classics. It was great to hear I'll Wait. Also, Dave told a 5 minute story about his dogs and it was hilarious. It wasnt the best show ive ever seen, but easily one of the most fun.

I forgot to post before, but I went to the Buffalo show a few weeks ago. It was awesome. Couldnt believe Dave could still do the high kicks. I will say Wolfgang wasnt quite as good as Michael Anthony with the backing vocals.

I also think they played maybe 1 or 2 new songs too many. Could have taken them out and put in other classics. It was great to hear I'll Wait. Also, Dave told a 5 minute story about his dogs and it was hilarious. It wasnt the best show ive ever seen, but easily one of the most fun.

But they only played four new songs total, how much more room do they need to make for the classics? :P

Tonight's show saw Jamie's Cryin' instead of Mean Street/Hear About It Later, and Blood and Fire instead of The Trouble With Never. I absolutely want to hear Jamie's Cryin', but not at the expense of a Fair Warning tune.

Damn it! I wish I could go to more shows on this tour. I'd rather hear Mean Street or Hear About It Later than Jamie's Cryin', but I'd kill to see Blood and Fire.

I'm split on Jamie's Cryin'. It was one of my favorites in '07, and Hear About It Later was one of my favorites in '12. I couldn't care less about Mean Street. I won't complain as long as I get JC or HAIL on Friday B)

4 songs out of a 24 song set is NOT too much. I mean, how many more classics do you want? If anything, I'd rather see classics dropped in favor of more new songs. I could easily do without Runnin' With The Devil and You Really Got Me if it meant getting You And Your Blues and Big River. And fuck it, let's turn Ice Cream Man into a medley of Ice Cream Man/Stay Frosty while we're at it :tongue2:

I agree they should cut the covers out. I never liked you Really Got Me. I was really hoping to hear Atomic Punk.

I guess 4 new songs isnt unreasonable. It felt like more for some reason. I blame booze.

In all honesty, I was really excited for Atomic Punk in '07, but it ended up being one of the low points of the show. Just doesn't have the same energy live IMO.

Okay, finally starting to work on my Toronto pics. It's been extremely hard to narrow them down, because they're all technically very good, but few of them have a ton of feeling like my GN'R pics do, obviously because they're much less intimate being shot so far away. I anticipate much better pictures on Friday in Pittsburgh since I'll only be 30-ish feet from the stage ;)

Just a couple to start with. Check out my Flickr page for a slightly larger image...pretty damn good given the distance I saw shooting over if I may say so myself :P

6875945210_222bd1809d_c.jpg

6875957604_8f76ffc63f_c.jpg

P.S. - notice the color of the setlists. Looks really cool on black paper, I'd love to get my hands on one of those...

Edited by Powerage5

Awesome! You don't do half bad from such a distance. :thumbsup:

All these bands need to get on hiring you. Seriously, nice stuff! What's the link for your Flickr? I'd love to check out the rest.

Thanks man, you know I love the fact that people enjoy my pictures! :D Here's the link for my Flickr page. I don't have any more VH pictures up there yet, but you can find the larger images for these and all of my GN'R pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrf33n3y/

I'll have a few more VH pics up tonight. As usual, I'll post them here ;)

All these bands need to get on hiring you. Seriously, nice stuff! What's the link for your Flickr? I'd love to check out the rest.

Thanks man, you know I love the fact that people enjoy my pictures! :D Here's the link for my Flickr page. I don't have any more VH pictures up there yet, but you can find the larger images for these and all of my GN'R pics:

I've been using your one shot of Bumblefoot from the Ritz as my desktop picture for a while now. I get a lot of comments from people who see my computer about how awesome it is. :lol:

There's just something about the moments you get mixed with the clarity of the photos. I know next to nothing about photography, but I know good shots when I see them. Looking forward to the rest of the VH! :thumbsup:

I've been using your one shot of Bumblefoot from the Ritz as my desktop picture for a while now. I get a lot of comments from people who see my computer about how awesome it is. :lol:

There's just something about the moments you get mixed with the clarity of the photos. I know next to nothing about photography, but I know good shots when I see them. Looking forward to the rest of the VH! :thumbsup:

That's such a huge part of concert photography, and it's unfortunately a part of lot of people tend to forget about (Even professional photographers). You can be the greatest concert photographer in the world from a technical standpoint, but it doesn't mean shit if you don't know how to capture a moment, and make it mean something. I try to model myself after John McMucrtie (Maiden's photographer, I know...is anyone really surprised? :P ). My feelings on Maiden aside, the dude knows how to take a picture that really has some emotion going on, and it just draws you in the way others don't. I mean, how can you argue with the emotions in a picture like this:

foto_iron_maiden_30-john-mcmurtrie.jpg

I also believe that you must know how someone moves on stage if you want to be able to take great pictures of them. There's a reason my GN'R and Maiden pictures are the best I take, and it's because I know how every member of the band moves so well that I can predetermine what they're going to do next. Example: Bumblefoot loves to sway back and forth when he's playing. That picture of him with the six light beams around his head? I knew exactly when I had to take that. I gave it a few sways to get a feeling for the tempo he was moving back and forth at, and when I knew his head would block out the backlight, I took the picture. Granted, I didn't know I'd get that effect, but I did know to take the picture when I did to avoid overexposing it. Very rarely do I just point-and-shoot, and it's usually when something spontaneous happens. That picture of Bumblefoot getting down in my face is the type of moment when I just go for it, I had no idea it'd turn out that cool...hell, I didn't even know if I was in focus before I took it!

Did Dave talk about his dogs at any of the other shows? I thought that part was strange and hilarious all at once

Yea, it's very much rehearsed. His whole rant was almost identical in Toronto. I definitely preferred his ICM intro in '07, when he would reminisce about the early days. Much more fitting IMO, but I get that he can't do the same thing every tour.

LOL, yeah. Nothing like buying another $100+ ticket for 1 new track. :lol:

A few more Toronto pics:

6876716970_127ce5cb45_c.jpg

6876716972_4a32a00dfa_c.jpg

6876716978_028b4f05ae_c.jpg

Damn man, your pics are AWESOME. Very cool. rock4

I'd do it. It's Van Halen. :thumbsup:

I'd do it. It's Van Halen. :thumbsup:

Exactly, it's just one more reason to see them again. I'd take any reason to go to another gig, because if we have to wait as long between tours again, we won't be seeing them again until 2017! :lol:

Last night in DC looks to be the best setlist yet IMO:

Unchained

Runnin' With The Devil

She's The Woman

Romeo Delight

Tattoo

Everybody Wants Some!!

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

China Town

Jamie's Cryin'

Oh, Pretty Woman

Alex Van Halen Solo

You Really Got Me

Blood And Fire

Dance The Night Away

I'll Wait

Hot For Teacher

Women In Love

Hang 'Em High

Beautiful Girls

Ice Cream Man

Panama

Eddie Van Halen Solo

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Jump

Now thats a killer setlist. I'll be stoked if I get that tomorrow night B)

Last night in DC looks to be the best setlist yet IMO:

Unchained

Runnin' With The Devil

She's The Woman

Romeo Delight

Tattoo

Everybody Wants Some!!

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

China Town

Jamie's Cryin'

Oh, Pretty Woman

Alex Van Halen Solo

You Really Got Me

Blood And Fire

Dance The Night Away

I'll Wait

Hot For Teacher

Women In Love

Hang 'Em High

Beautiful Girls

Ice Cream Man

Panama

Eddie Van Halen Solo

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Jump

Now thats a killer setlist. I'll be stoked if I get that tomorrow night B)

Yeah, that is KILLER. I got the Chicago show on Sunday, so hopefully this sticks. Not too worried though, honestly all of the setlists have been pretty amazing....

Killer set list indeed. It's just nice to see that they've been changing it up regularly throughout the tour as opposed to 2007/2008 when it was pretty much the same for the whole tour, often losing songs. Again, I really wish I could catch more shows. Hopefully they'll extend the tour and make their way back. :thumbsup: