OFFICIAL Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Thread-First post vid

Birk

Damn, I finally broke down and subjected myself to these "performances". My eardrums still haven't forgiven me.

I guess I'll stick with the new band and a singer that couldn't sound that shitty on his worst day.

I was really surprised to see Slash fuck up SCOM though, looks like the drugs weren't the things effecting his performance 20 years ago.

He did an A+ job of making DJ look decent. I don't think that was his intention, but I never thought that would be possible either. :shrugs:

Oh well, like the song says, "I already left you and you're better off left behind".

Glad it's over.

where did he mess up?

He messed up twice. There's no way in hell that I'm listening to it again to find the exact times for you, but if you like it, feel free. They're kind of hard not to notice.

after watching again, he messed up once after he kicks in the wah. big deal. some people sayn he messed up on the 2nd solo where he did that harmonic, that was intentional and he does that all the time in shows these days. even if he made several mistakes, id take the guy who can write solos like scom over some dude like ashba. i also remember Ashba failing real hard when he first joined GNR, forget what song but the bends were out of tune and everything. really bad.

I'd take neither Slash or DJ if I was in charge of the lineup, but I'm not, so fuck it. The difference between their fuckups is that one of them has been playing the songs for 3? years and the other wrote it and has performed it for 25.

I'm just arguing the difference between suck though, so it's really kind of pointless to me.

I do have to give Duff credit and Steven surprised the hell out of me, so it wasn't all bad. Nothing I'll be watching again though.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after watching again, he messed up once after he kicks in the wah. big deal. some people sayn he messed up on the 2nd solo where he did that harmonic, that was intentional and he does that all the time in shows these days. even if he made several mistakes, id take the guy who can write solos like scom over some dude like ashba. i also remember Ashba failing real hard when he first joined GNR, forget what song but the bends were out of tune and everything. really bad. everyone makes mistake, but only a few can write timeless music.

edit: think he missed a whole 2-3 notes

Thank you for making me remember that horrible performance of Ashba.

Here it is: http://youtu.be/5EkzVwScpKk?t=4m5s

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

My god Axl's voice...

after watching again, he messed up once after he kicks in the wah. big deal. some people sayn he messed up on the 2nd solo where he did that harmonic, that was intentional and he does that all the time in shows these days. even if he made several mistakes, id take the guy who can write solos like scom over some dude like ashba. i also remember Ashba failing real hard when he first joined GNR, forget what song but the bends were out of tune and everything. really bad. everyone makes mistake, but only a few can write timeless music.

My god Axl's voice...

wow, first time i watch this. painful to watch. slash makes mistakes but that made my ears bleed.

My god Axl's voice...

Actually, that wasnt it. It was right after he first joined. But it only serves to prove my point, everyone makes mistakes. it was one of those CD ballad songs, cant remember which one.

Edited by cliffburton

To me this letter and situation just show to the general public what a lot of us have known about Axl for years. He's not a stubborn bad-ass, he's a stubborn little child.

Children don't have a very developed sense of consequences for actions. Axl, on the other hand, was very well aware of the hissy fits his decision would lead to, he clearly foretold the hysterically negative reaction in his letter and it has obviously come to pass.

Its not a child who can take on opposition and blind hate of this degree and still stick to a difficult choice. You may not agree with his decision but it takes real guts to be willing to be hated to retain your own sense of independence.

Children can very often know the consequence of their actions and still do them. "little Axl, don't you eat the cookies from the cookie jar or you're grounded and there won't be any left for the rest of us". Now, the kid surely knows he doesn't want to be grounded but he'll go and do it anyway. The kid doesn't care so much the family doesn't get cookies or even so much that the family might get mad at him, he does care about getting grounded though but he'll do it anyway. Axl doesn't care so much the band and fans won't get what they want, send off the band and give one last hoorah for the fans of the real band, or even so much that the fans might get mad at him, he does care that people might go to his concerts less or insult him to his face though.

It is a child gets reprehended over and over for the same opposition/action and still does it.... as long as there's some personal gain, if not then he's a retard.

"When they say I'm like a screaming two year old on stage, they're right"

- W. Axl Rose

I read som eof your other posts about "slashites"...

Slash can play with anyone and its fine?

Adler was kicked out solely by Axl?

Who says those things?!

Cute little story about the cookies etc. but largely irrelevant. What you seem to forget is that we are dealing with very adult matters here- the future of the current line-up involves Axl's own and their livelihoods, their careers. Axl is not some child who can be "reprehended", he's an adult free to make his own career decisions. If Axl was motivated by just the number of people who go to his shows he would have done the cash-grab reunion ages ago, so that argument shoots itself down. If Axl was worried that people would "insult him", he would have lived a tame little life - instead he's taken the difficult path doing what he wants.

The fans arent all the same so your trying to generalize them is dishonest - not all fans had a life-defining stake in Axl's going to the RRHOF. The so-called "real band" argument is simply your subjective judgment- to me the current band is a real band too and Axl is perfectly entitled to choose to work with people he's more comfortable with. There's nothing "childish" about not wanting to go do a publicity photo with people who attack your band-mates and who have sued you for millions of dollars. How many people do you hang out happily with after they've sued you for millions?

I cant make out whether you think Axl is a child or a retard, maybe both. What's childish to me is the laughable fantasy that if you keep bashing a man over and over for simply exercising his basic human right to play with people he likes, it will revive the "real band" as if the past 20 years or so never happened. Part of being an adult is to recognize that sometimes people drift apart in life and this is a natural phenomenon, not some horrible crime against humanity.

People have repeatedly demanded that Axl give up the old songs but are perfectly happy with Myles singing Axl's songs - my point proved. Read the post I was responding to - it claimed that Axl "purged" the other members so I pointed out the undeniable facts about Steven's firing. Anything else?

Axl Rose absent at Hall of Fame induction ceremony

Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, despite his public rejection of the accolade.

_59666300_guns1_bodygetty.jpg

Rose, who did not attend the induction ceremony on Saturday, declined the honour earlier this week, saying he felt neither "wanted or respected".

An on-stage reference to Rose drew boos at the event, attended by other members of the rock band's line-up.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys and Donovan were among others honoured.

Rose was not the only no-show at the lengthy ceremony, held at Cleveland's Public Hall in front of a 6,000-strong audience.

Rod Stewart also bowed out, a case of flu preventing him from being celebrated alongside members of The Small Faces and The Faces.

The Beastie Boys - only the third hip-hop act to enter the Hall of Fame - were also without one of their members, Adam "MCA" Yauch.

Bette Midler, Smokey Robinson and Chris Rock were among those presenting honours at a five-and-a-half hour event that climaxed with an all-star "jam".

Source: BBC.co.uk

Izzy gets a free ride again though...

I think he gets a free ride because he isnt out there touring as 'guns n roses'.

What's childish to me is the laughable fantasy that if you keep bashing a man over and over for simply exercising his basic human right to play with people he likes, it will revive the "real band" as if the past 20 years or so never happened. Part of being an adult is to recognize that sometimes people drift apart in life and this is a natural phenomenon, not some horrible crime against humanity.

This.

Since everyone had decided to give their 2 cents worth on all the recent GNR on goings I figured that I would join in.

First off, I still have a hard time understanding why people have such a hard time with the way the RnRHOF went down. I have never understood the need for fans to have their favorite bands music loved by others. This is so odd to me. What is gained by knowing that a bunch of old white men deem that GNR is worthy of being anointed as a "Hall of Fame" act?

Furthermore, it seems that they were mostly inducted based on the merit of AFD. That entire album in my opinion is a pure rock n roll album, it is a gritty, dirty middle finger to society. It was not an album that encouraged one to conform to what society wants. So I find it ironic that everyone is so offended when Axl has the same outlook 25 years later. Axl not showing up was the most rock n roll event of the night. As a fan since early 1988 when my dad bought me AFD, I was neither insulted nor offended by Axl, Izzy or Dizzy not showing up. In fact I did not give two shits.

Since I only post about once a year I'll mention on more thing that pisses me off ( to the three of you that have continued reading this far.) Who cares what Axl or any of the other members wear for clothing? This Kardashian-esque reality TV era outlook is ridiculous. Most posts start off with this non-sense then finally a few things are mentioned about the music. Instead of bitching (like me now) we should all appreciate the fact that this version of GNR is a tight friggin band musically, and that over the past few years we have had ample opportunity to see them live!!

Quoted above in it's entirety, because this was written well and was on point.

kudos!

Guest Len B'stard

Also, not accepting an award isn't really 'rock n roll' (why am i even attempting to take part in such a ridiculous discussion?!?!) i mean, it's the reasons behind it that deem whether it's rock n roll or not surely, i mean, it wasn't a fuck you to the Hall of Fame and what it stands for, or the other members, quite frankly it was a bit whiney "im not wanted or respected", it sounds like a strongly worded letter to the BBC complaints department more than anything.

The big picture as far as Rock Hall goes - AFD was a landmark album in the late 80s, at a time when hard rock went soft. Pantera took the glam makeup off, didn't they? To me they ushered what was to come in the 90s, and Duff's book was part roots of Seattle rock, but prob. should write a separate book about the history, going back to Ray Charles and Hendrix. Every city is rich in music history, and all the things leading up to a "scene" being created, had to come from somewhere. Nikki Sixx was a part of it, Duff was a part of it, and what was going on in Olympia w/ Nirvana was a whole other story.

Either way, I'm glad they're in and no one can complain that they're not. They deserve the induction, and Axl's thanked the Rock Hall multiple times. Once was plenty and he didn't have to be there to be grateful to that. He was a part of something that people cared about, and still do.

It sucks when people stop caring...

Not showing up for an award = rock n roll

Going on stage late = rock n roll

Taking 14 years to make a record = rock n roll

Not giving a fuck = rock n roll

Not everyone has to agree with the Rolling Stone version of what they consider rock and roll to be.

George Lucas didn't play by Hollywood rules either. Did his own thing, except he made billions... and then watched his ex-wives take their pieces.

Taking 14 years to make a record is definitely NOT rock and roll, when some of the best songs ever recorded were spontaneous. Who knew "14 Years" was going to be how long Chinese Democracy was going to take though??

Going on stage late is not rock and roll. It's procrastination and dwelling on other shit, but that seems to be an ongoing thing with him. I'll put it this way - someone highly sensitive can usually sense the vibe in a room stronger than most people. Maybe he waits until the vibe in the venue is where he wants it to be.... getting restless, getting lubricated, and when people are on the verge of saying "fuck it" and going home, he comes out to perform. It works against GNR, and people don't go out to see them during the week because of this. I think people now accept that going to see them is going to be a late night. Which is fine - now. But when a casual listener is going "cool, they're in town, I'll pick up tickets", and they're scratching their ass for a few hours and have to work the next day? Some people did say "fuck it" and ate the tickets.

The only thing the Rock Hall showed was that Adler can play drums, and the moment Slash, Duff, and Adler were on stage together, a potential for how good a reunion show would actually be. People expect a bunch of old guys to not be as good as they were in their prime, and it just showed if you put Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven together..they could still do it, and prob. do it better than they did when they were wasted.

Maybe GNR do owe some people the reunion show, esp. if they played like shit at some of the shows back in the day, or Axl's voice was off on some nights from the wear and tear of the road.

GNR actually brought together generations when it came to the music.

Dude, I think it is really lame how some critique every single performance that pops up on the Internet. Most recently w people saying "slash missed 3 notes at the hall of fame," but also all of Axl and the new bands performances. It's rock n roll! But those people pointing out every missed note are like sportscasters going to instant replay to point out a qb overthrowing a receiver. Rock should be raw, not note by note perfect, and thank god for that. Go back to any Zeppelin concert and tell me if page or plant are note for note perfect. They aren't and it's awesome. Axl n slash n dj n Conrad Bain all aren't note for note perfect, and that's f'n rock n roll baby!

Pubes.

Damn, I finally broke down and subjected myself to these "performances". My eardrums still haven't forgiven me.

I guess I'll stick with the new band and a singer that couldn't sound that shitty on his worst day.

I was really surprised to see Slash fuck up SCOM though, looks like the drugs weren't the things effecting his performance 20 years ago.

He did an A+ job of making DJ look decent. I don't think that was his intention, but I never thought that would be possible either. :shrugs:

Oh well, like the song says, "I already left you and you're better off left behind".

Glad it's over.

where did he mess up?

He messed up twice. There's no way in hell that I'm listening to it again to find the exact times for you, but if you like it, feel free. They're kind of hard not to notice.

OMG he missed 2 notes or "messed up twice"? Seriously this bothers you...can you sleep at night? Does Axl's current band ever mess up? Does he (well, we all know he NEVER messes anything up).

Just messing up a few times is kinda good of Slash, I remember back in the days he used to mess up all the time. Really sloppy playing. But back then he had some originality and genius creativity, at least, so it was okay.

Glad it's over.

where did he mess up?

OMG he missed 2 notes or "messed up twice"? Seriously this bothers you...can you sleep at night? Does Axl's current band ever mess up? Does he (well, we all know he NEVER messes anything up).

Just messing up a few times is kinda good of Slash, I remember back in the days he used to mess up all the time. Really sloppy playing. But back then he had some originality and genius creativity, at least, so it was okay.

All the time? :rofl-lol: It's funny to see your failed attempts to criticize a 27-year-old guy so fucked up on drugs and alcohol, running around like crazy for 2+ hours trying to play a guitar. He still put a great show back in the day. If you don't play guitar, then shut up.

Musicians screw up all the time...that's why it's called live music...how often and how bad can vary, but everyone has off days, mental lapses, equipment failure, etc...no different than sports...people have off days and performance can vary. Many of the greats from the past made many, many mistakes live...most of the time 90% of folks won't notice, only musicians or diehard fans...difference it nowadays everything gets filmed with cell phones and is posted on youtube...