Future of Slash

sergiodefenders

Future of Slash  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought this was a "what do you think he will do" thing, not "what would you prefer". My fault for not reading.

I don't see him ever going back to VR, though, besides maybe a few one-off gigs here and there. The dude hates working in a band situation with a "lead singer", and any steam VR still had left after Libertad is long gone after 5 years. He seems content to work with Myles for now, for better or worse.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, but I think Slash's done. He's failing too much when he's soloing. He isn't a good guitarist anymore, just an ordinary player...

Same could be said about Axl.

Pardon, pretty girl, but I'm afraid I disagree with you. Axl is just different now. Slash's so obviously done.

I have heard some recent videos as well as saw him last year live and I do not get the whole "obviously done" thing.

Sure I feel that his best solos came from the GNR era but I hardly think he is "done" nowadays.

Totally done, man, totally done...

I do not think that is the case, but whatever

I say drop Myles. The guy is too soft for Slash's sound.

Yeah, Myles comes across as too much of a "nice guy"... :lol:

I say get VR rolling again! Preferably with Scott... >_>

Yes. I kinda see a VR reunion as the only hope for me to ever get back into Slash's work. His solo stuff bores me. It's sad cause I really love Slash as a guitarist, he's so much better than what he's doing with this solo stuff right now.

Yes. I kinda see a VR reunion as the only hope for me to ever get back into Slash's work. His solo stuff bores me. It's sad cause I really love Slash as a guitarist, he's so much better than what he's doing with this solo stuff right now.

Well... I really like some of his solo stuff but it feels a little too "comfortable" you know? The VR line-up at least had some fire to them. That is what I mean when I say Myles comes across as too much of a "nice guy" (they all seem too "nice" imo).

I don't know... maybe I just like the schism? :shrugs:

Anyhow, Slash is at the point in his career where he doesn't have to do much of anything at all. He's achieved an almost "mythical" stature.

Edited by KiraMPD

Bring back Roadcrew!! Adler, Slash n get Duff and Myles too

this

I don't know, but I think Slash's done. He's failing too much when he's soloing. He isn't a good guitarist anymore, just an ordinary player...

Same could be said about Axl.

Pardon, pretty girl, but I'm afraid I disagree with you. Axl is just different now. Slash's so obviously done.

The only one is done is YOU, stupid cupcake

Well... I really like some of his solo stuff but it feels a little too "comfortable" you know? The VR line-up at least had some fire to them. That is what I mean when I say Myles comes across as too much of a "nice guy" (they all seem too "nice" imo).

I don't know... maybe I just like the schism? :shrugs:

Anyhow, Slash is at the point in his career where he doesn't have to do much of anything at all. He's achieved an almost "mythical" stature.

I guess what you describe as nice I'd describe as boring :shrugs:

I've tried to like the solo stuff, I really have but I just can't. The songs are (with a few exceptions) mediocre at best, the singers (Myles, Fergie, The Maroon 5 guy etc) not good matches for his style and watching the live performances are boring. I watched the Stoke dvd and had to force myself to watch it all the way through. There is no energy or attitude on stage like it was with GN'R and VR.

Unfortunately the songs I've heard from the new album are just as mediocre as the song of the first album.

I never thought the day would come where I'd be bored by Slash's work but that day is here.

I like the new album but myles is too soft for slash and imo Weiland is not talented enough to be with slash. i think slash should go like jeff beck and do an instrumental album just fucking Slash making guitar songs and letting loose at least for the short run and in the long run he should find a strong vocalist and re team with duff thats my feeling

• 3 weeks later...

I think what annoys people about Myles is when he tries to sing GNR, and they're not so bothered by singing VR songs. I also like the idea of a one off VR/STP show. Slash and Duff have already said they enjoy the friendship with Scott, just not working with him full time.

Edited by dalsh327

Slash's new solo band kicks ass and he enjoys playing with them as there is no drama so don't see VR restarting for a while if ever..if it does Scott is the wrong person for that band as he is on a differetn wavelength then the rest of them musically...

I love what Slash is doing with his solo material so I say keep that band together........

Slash's new solo band kicks ass and he enjoys playing with them as there is no drama so don't see VR restarting for a while if ever..if it does Scott is the wrong person for that band as he is on a differetn wavelength then the rest of them musically...

I love what Slash is doing with his solo material so I say keep that band together........

This!

This!

yup.

Slash has a very strong catalogue just to stick to GNR and VR, in his solo band we get everything plus new material..

why pursue or push himself to fame and stardom?, been there done that.. i enjoy watching him play GNR, Snakepit, VR and his Solo stuff.

Myles can sing everything really, i doubt Scott could sing Beggars and Hangers, i doubt Axl could sing Halo and so on, with Myles he can play any song from his catalog and the collarboation is just starting, it'll get better.

I love the new Slash album.. The band rocks and Slash get's to play like Slash... I really liked VR but Slash wasn't aloud to shine. I would like to see him play with Duff but Todd Kerns' backup vocals are just insane. I say stick to what he is doing. VR is dead and it isn't the same without Scott.

HDnet has been playing Stoke and people are loving it too...

Edited by HowlinWolf

Eventually, money becomes a factor

Slash's latest album has sold poorly (it's going to take it 4 weeks to reach the first week total of his solo debut album, which sold 60K in week one) and there aren't any hit singles on it. It's going to struggle to reach much more than 100,000 copies sold in the US. He's touring 1500-3000 person venues and is not coming close to selling out the larger end of that.

The name of the game now is touring. Velvet Revolver's last album/tour both performed poorly, but that band can still command bigger venues, charge more for its tickets, etc. than Slash can as a solo act. My guess is that they reform VR with a new singer who is something of a big name, but is not big enough or veteran enough to really rock the boat.

I'm not really interested in Slash's new music at this point outside of VR w/Scott.

For the record, AL fell to #19 in it's 2nd week on the US Billboard album chart. Based on the fact that the #1 album sold 65,000 copies, I would estimate Slash's album probably sold around 14,000 copies this week. I would expect the album to drop into the 30's next week.

Eventually, money becomes a factor

Slash's latest album has sold poorly (it's going to take it 4 weeks to reach the first week total of his solo debut album, which sold 60K in week one) and there aren't any hit singles on it. It's going to struggle to reach much more than 100,000 copies sold in the US. He's touring 1500-3000 person venues and is not coming close to selling out the larger end of that.

The name of the game now is touring. Velvet Revolver's last album/tour both performed poorly, but that band can still command bigger venues, charge more for its tickets, etc. than Slash can as a solo act. My guess is that they reform VR with a new singer who is something of a big name, but is not big enough or veteran enough to really rock the boat.

Slash does far better financially on his own than in VR.

Paying your band members salaries beats the pants of splitting the money 5 ways any day.

On his own he uses his own label to put it out, so he makes far more per album than if he had a recording deal with a big label under the VR banner.

If he sells 100,000 albums total on his own, he will make more money than he would in VR selling 500,000 (which now a days would be overly optimistic given the performance of rock bands with a group age pushing 50).

You are wildly over estimating VR's popularity. They would be lucky to do 4,000 fans a night at this point at say $55 a head.

Slash can do 1,500-2500 on his own at $40-50 a head and he doesn't have to split the money equally 5 ways like he would in VR.

If they could do 10,000 heads a night it would be one thing, but they are a 4-5,000 ticket band (if they got active).

Going back to VR would hardly be a financial bonanza for him. Frankly given the cost structures I think it would be at best a push vs. what he is doing now.

If the money is close or the same, why would you give up having your own thing to walk back into a group where you have limited power and have to deal with a record label again? It makes no sense. Which is why Slash has shown zero urgency as far as starting that band up again.

I think Slash thought (or at least hoped) that his new record would sell somewhere in the realm that his first one did. Even though that wasn't necessarily realistic, he'll probably make relatively good money off of this one just because he probably got more favorable songwriting splits than he did with the guys who appeared on his first album; you know that guys like Ozzy and Chris Cornell (or at least their labels/management) were demanding 50/50 splits on royalties for the songs they performed on and wrote the lyrics for

That said, record sales don't really matter at this stage; the only way artists have ever made a huge profit off of record sales is selling an absurd amount of records in the first week, or off of "legacy hits", singles like SCOM, Jungle, PC, November Rain, YCBM, etc. that still get airplay 20 years after the fact and albums like AFD that continue sell well for droves for 20+ years. The name of the game is touring, even moreso now than it ever was in the past due to continually declining record sales

I don't materially disagree with the ticket sale figures you projected for VR (4,000 to 6,000 seems about right in my mind), but I also think Slash could easily negotiate for the lion's share of touring proceeds in VR; the only person who really has the clout to demand equal pay is Duff (assuming they don't tour with Scott). Those two could easily take 60-70% of the proceeds between the two of them. Matt Sorum and Dave Kushner really have no clout; they could be replaced with guys who would play for a few thousand bucks a night and not miss a beat at least in terms of ticket sales. So if they hired a new singer, released an album that sold about 200-250K in the US, and were able to sell 2-3 times as many tickets as a Slash solo show while charging 20% more per ticket, the financial draw would likely be greater than it is for him as a solo artist

But think this, if he comes to Velvet Revolver, Slash will not play songs such as Watch This, Ghost, Nothing to Say, Starlight or By the Sword AND ANY Snakepit song again... <_<

Why not? Just play with Duff, Matt and Dave, hire a singer and play songs from their entire career while promoting a new Velvet Revolver record. If they can play Guns songs they can play other stuff as well.

VR as a creative force were done IMO. I remember when they wanted to get Rick Ruben on board for the Libertad album. They presented him with the songs and he told them to keep writing,....

Slash should carry on with Myles, who he feels he has more of a creative chemistry with

LA