Recent downtime due to account suspended

eRomano

I never get any of this.

A friend of mine is a reporter for a large UK newspaper and he has his own website which attracts around 500,000 readers a day, yet he pays £50 a year, if that, for hosting, and his website is always fast and smooth.

I am not that educated in running websites, but this forum has 100-200 users at a time. Where is the cost here?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never get any of this.

A friend of mine is a reporter for a large UK newspaper and he has his own website which attracts around 500,000 readers a day, yet he pays £50 a year, if that, for hosting, and his website is always fast and smooth.

I am not that educated in running websites, but this forum has 100-200 users at a time. Where is the cost here?

Forums are different - http://www.invisionpower.com/hosting/advanced.php

If you consider that during high periods of news, this site attracts upwards of 500 visitors (ie, the Hall of Fame ceremony recently), you can see how the cost could easily be between $300-$400 a month.

Over time, that's far from pocket change.

I never get any of this.

If you consider that during high periods of news, this site attracts upwards of 500 visitors (ie, the Hall of Fame ceremony recently), you can see how the cost could easily be between $300-$400 a month.

I see what you are saying. The hosting costs quoted are extraordinary

Is there no way of creating your own sql based custom forum, so you can host somewhere cheaper?

I never get any of this.

I see what you are saying. The hosting costs quoted are extraordinary

Is there no way of creating your own sql based custom forum, so you can host somewhere cheaper?

I should say, I'm no longer involved in the running of the site in any way (and never was in a technical sense) - but for the sake of answering....

- Yes you could code your own board, but that would be an enormous undertaking. A better alternative would be to use another kind of SQL based forum (some are free), but converting to a different package is difficult. For a forum this size, it would almost certainly come with many unavoidable complications and headaches.

- You can run an Invision board with a different hosting company, but you have to purchase a license from Invision to do that. You also lose Invision's direct tech support by running with a different host - given how old this board is and how many small issues it throws up on a regular basis, that would be undesirable.

You're right that the costs are very high, but they do include support - and Invision boards are some of the best there are in terms of features (albeit, not the most stable).

Would it help if you were to shrink it? As in, delete accounts that haven't been accessed in a long time or lose some of these sections that no one really cares about?

winner!!!

deleting and combining sections would lower the server cost big time...

Would it help if you were to shrink it? As in, delete accounts that haven't been accessed in a long time or lose some of these sections that no one really cares about?

winner!!!

The server costs are related to online users. That's it. So this is incorrect.

winner!!!

Regardless, I still think the number of sections should be reduced. Back i'n '05-'07 when this board was very active it was quite useful, but now each section moves rather slow and I think it'd make the place seem more lively to compact everything down.

For instance I never go into the picture section anymore, yet there's probably some good threads in there that I'd peruse if it was merged with Anything Goes. I know this would take time, but I think a bit of decluttering and reorganising would really benefit this place.

winner!!!

Regardless, I still think the number of sections should be reduced. Back i'n '05-'07 when this board was very active it was quite useful, but now each section moves rather slow and I think it'd make the place seem more lively to compact everything down.

For instance I never go into the picture section anymore, yet there's probably some good threads in there that I'd peruse if it was merged with Anything Goes. I know this would take time, but I think a bit of decluttering and reorganising would really benefit this place.

I agree.

winner!!!

I agree.

As do I. The sub-sections for the old tours could be changed too. Those are hardly active anymore for the most part.