Forum Restructure

highvoltage

We had our first forum crash today :( obviously everything now back up.

Special thanks to High' for resolving and SLAA for tweeting updates

Rumors about re-structuring were incorrect - as soon as we've agreed all changes, I'll post and give a "Implementation deadline date" B)

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when the Reconstruction is going on we should expect the forum to be down for a couple of days?

Doesn't have to. The new sections could already be set up and just hidden from everyone but admins. With a handful of clicks, it could be switched quick. Moving every topic of a forum only takes a few as when you go to delete a section, you usually get to redirect the topics to another forum.

It may vary a little with this board but it doesn't take days. MYGNR may take a while though. I have to admit, to have a full html site in 2012 was a little amateur for one of the biggest gnr fansites.

So when the Reconstruction is going on we should expect the forum to be down for a couple of days?

Nope, most of the board changes can be done in the background without you guys knowing or being affected.

MYGNR may take a while though. I have to admit, to have a full html site in 2012 was a little amateur for one of the biggest gnr fansites.

Eric still owns the MYGNR.com website - it wasn't part of the forum's sale, so he is in control of that side of things.

MYGNR may take a while though. I have to admit, to have a full html site in 2012 was a little amateur for one of the biggest gnr fansites.

Eric still owns the MYGNR.com website - it wasn't part of the forum's sale, so he is in control of that side of things.

Ah, that was about to be my question. Any chance people could contribute to developing the site further and bringing it up to date?

Ah, that was about to be my question. Any chance people could contribute to developing the site further and bringing it up to date?

You'd have to ask Eric that question directly...

You'd have to ask Eric that question directly...

Hahaha! Good luck getting a response there! :lol:

:rofl-lol:

No need to be disrespectful guys. Eric was really helpful during the whole transition process and he remains a member of the mod team here. Given how much time he's spent on the board over the years, he's entitled to a well-earned break, and it would be easy to understand why updating MYGNR.com wouldn't necessarily be at the top of his priority list in lieu of that.

No need to be disrespectful guys. Eric was really helpful during the whole transition process and he remains a member of the mod team here. Given how much time he's spent on the board over the years, he's entitled to a well-earned break, and it would be easy to understand why updating MYGNR.com wouldn't necessarily be at the top of his priority list in lieu of that.

Sorry if it sounded mean but I was only teasing. I was mostly referring to the last year or so leading upto the sale when he seemed impossible to contact. :shrugs:

was told by a boss to put this in here

the layout of this forum needs some work. i am suck of coming in to every thread and reading the fucking crazy loons posting their fucking bullshit such as cd is better than welcome to the jungle, slash is shit, apetitie for destruction is boring and the cream of the cake;; bumblefoot is better than axl rose

i suggest a new section is made and it should be called the crazy loon section. let the fuckers run wild with the nonsense.meanwhile the normal peeps can talk about the real guns n roses topics here where mention of slash and his work in guns n roses is not shouted at and moved to another section. :rolleyes:

"We should have a MYGNR Girls Gone Wild section imo."

lol girls using a guns n roses websiite :rolleyes:

I sent this previously to the administration so I also figured I'd put it out here to see what the public feels on it, paraphrased.....

"Right now, as it's structured, the forum appears to favor "New GN'R" as "Guns N' Roses", with the original band kind of shuffled off to it's own little section which no one ends up using, and many interesting topics, albeit done over, are sent to Dust N' Bones where they whither and die. I really do think a restructed main GN'R section, which has sub sections for each lineup or era of the band, would be really good and would reduce the fighting here. I'd say about half or even more than half the people here don't view the current lineup as being GN'R, and so come into the main section with Slash or old lineup stuff, which causes fights, or beyond that, will bring up former new members in the main section, which ends up just being a hassle for the mods to move and annoys people. As it is, the forum's structure just gives the appearance of the site being biased or leaning toward the new band. I think a more balanced structure would make fans of all eras feel equally represented and welcome.

I just think the following sort of set up would make things run smoother, would better for fans of individual eras--as some prefer the AFD/Lies Era, some prefer the UYI era, some love the TSI era and some love the CD era, it would decrease the fighting and would make this forum appear totally unbiased and neutral in the "IS NEW GNR GUNS N ROSES?!" fight. It would also be better organized, perhaps.

Something along the lines of the following (SF = Sub-forum):

MYGNR

GUNS N' ROSES DISCUSSION & NEWS SECTION

SF: THE AFD ERA (1985-1990)

SF: THE UYI ERA (1990-1993)

SF: THE TSI ERA (1993-1997)

SF: THE CD ERA (1997-present)

SF: THE UYI/TSI ERA (1990-1993)

Or this

MYGNR

THE OLD GN'R ERA (1985-1997)

---SF: GENERAL OLD GN'R DISCUSSION

---SF: LIVE ERA '87-'93: OLD GN'R CONCERTS DISCUSSION

---SF: REUNION CHAT

---SF: OLD GN'R MEMBERS SOLO WORKS DISCUSSION

THE NEW GN'R ERA (1997-present)

---SF: GENERAL NEW GN'R DISCUSSION AND NEWS

---SF: THE RUMOR MILL! (All unverified news/rumors posted or sent here)

---SF: NEW GN'R MEMBERS SOLO WORKS DISCUSSION

---SF: ROUND 1: NEW GN'R CONCERTS DISCUSSION

Some sort of variant on either of these two structures perhaps. IMO, it would have things running more smoothly with less drama."

Edited by Indigo Miser

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

That's way too many, I think it should just be one section for it all. But we'll see whenever they announce what they're planning. It should be soon from what they say.

I sent this previously to the administration so I also figured I'd put it out here to see what the public feels on it, paraphrased.....

"Right now, as it's structured, the forum appears to favor "New GN'R" as "Guns N' Roses", with the original band kind of shuffled off to it's own little section which no one ends up using, and many interesting topics, albeit done over, are sent to Dust N' Bones where they whither and die. I really do think a restructed main GN'R section, which has sub sections for each lineup or era of the band, would be really good and would reduce the fighting here. I'd say about half or even more than half the people here don't view the current lineup as being GN'R, and so come into the main session with Slash or old lineup stuff, which causes fights, or beyond that, will bring up former new members in the main section, which ends up just being a hassle for the mods to move and annoys people. As it is, the forum's structure just gives the appearance of the site being biased or leaning toward the new band.

I just think the following sort of set up would make things run smoother, would better for fans of individual eras--as some prefer the AFD/Lies Era, some prefer the UYI era, some love the TSI era and some love the CD era, it would decrease the fighting and would make this forum appear totally unbiased and neutral in the "IS NEW GNR GUNS N ROSES?!" fight. It would also be better organized, perhaps.

Like I said, something along the lines of this (SF = Sub-forum):

MYGNR

Or this

MYGNR

I put it the "end" of old GN'R as 1997 because Duff quit that year, making Axl the only original member of GN'R and thus new GN'R was born. '97 is also when work on what would become truly CD began. Having 1994 be the cut off was kind of silly IMO as Axl and Slash gave a last joint interview in 1994, the entire band guested on Gilby's solo album released that year, the Since I Don't Have You video was filmed and released in 1994 and Sympathy for the Devil was released in December 1994. While not as active as previous years, old GN'R was still alive and existing in 1994.

Some sort of variant on either of these two structures perhaps. IMO, it would have things running more smoothly with less drama.

Sorry, but I don't like it. I think that discussion and news should be combined for any member of the band, past or present.

Some of us are interested in all of them. I don't see the need for segregation.

"Right now, as it's structured, the forum appears to favor "New GN'R" as "Guns N' Roses", with the original band kind of shuffled off to it's own little section which no one ends up using, and many interesting topics, albeit done over, are sent to Dust N' Bones where they whither and die. I really do think a restructed main GN'R section, which has sub sections for each lineup or era of the band, would be really good and would reduce the fighting here. I'd say about half or even more than half the people here don't view the current lineup as being GN'R, and so come into the main session with Slash or old lineup stuff, which causes fights, or beyond that, will bring up former new members in the main section, which ends up just being a hassle for the mods to move and annoys people. As it is, the forum's structure just gives the appearance of the site being biased or leaning toward the new band.

MYGNR

Or this

MYGNR

I put it the "end" of old GN'R as 1997 because Duff quit that year, making Axl the only original member of GN'R and thus new GN'R was born. '97 is also when work on what would become truly CD began. Having 1994 be the cut off was kind of silly IMO as Axl and Slash gave a last joint interview in 1994, the entire band guested on Gilby's solo album released that year, the Since I Don't Have You video was filmed and released in 1994 and Sympathy for the Devil was released in December 1994. While not as active as previous years, old GN'R was still alive and existing in 1994.

Some sort of variant on either of these two structures perhaps. IMO, it would have things running more smoothly with less drama.

Sorry, but I don't like it. I think that discussion and news should be combined for any member of the band, past or present.

I'd support that kind of structure too but it might be hard to keep organized and maintained. My idea is more about organization which would also crack down on fighting. I think a combined section for ALL members and eras would become a clusterfuck rather quickly and would end up being a pain in the ass for the mods.

MYGNR

Or this

MYGNR

I'd support that kind of structure too but it might be hard to keep organized and maintained. My idea is more about organization which would also crack down on fighting. I think a combined section for ALL members and eras would become a clusterfuck rather quickly and would end up being a pain in the ass for the mods.

I guess that in all truthfulness, it doesn't really matter to me. I just use the "View New Content" link anyway.