Forum Restructure

highvoltage

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

People are too lazy to go to several sections. Everyone but one will become dead, just like before. It's better to just have one section or maximum two, in my opinion. I think two is too much as well though.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent this previously to the administration so I also figured I'd put it out here to see what the public feels on it, paraphrased.....

"Right now, as it's structured, the forum appears to favor "New GN'R" as "Guns N' Roses", with the original band kind of shuffled off to it's own little section which no one ends up using, and many interesting topics, albeit done over, are sent to Dust N' Bones where they whither and die. I really do think a restructed main GN'R section, which has sub sections for each lineup or era of the band, would be really good and would reduce the fighting here. I'd say about half or even more than half the people here don't view the current lineup as being GN'R, and so come into the main section with Slash or old lineup stuff, which causes fights, or beyond that, will bring up former new members in the main section, which ends up just being a hassle for the mods to move and annoys people. As it is, the forum's structure just gives the appearance of the site being biased or leaning toward the new band. I think a more balanced structure would make fans of all eras feel equally represented and welcome.

I just think the following sort of set up would make things run smoother, would better for fans of individual eras--as some prefer the AFD/Lies Era, some prefer the UYI era, some love the TSI era and some love the CD era, it would decrease the fighting and would make this forum appear totally unbiased and neutral in the "IS NEW GNR GUNS N ROSES?!" fight. It would also be better organized, perhaps.

Something along the lines of the following (SF = Sub-forum):

MYGNR

GUNS N' ROSES DISCUSSION & NEWS SECTION

SF: THE AFD ERA (1985-1990)

SF: THE UYI ERA (1990-1993)

SF: THE TSI ERA (1993-1997)

SF: THE CD ERA (1997-present)

SF: THE AFD ERA (1985-1990)

SF: THE UYI/TSI ERA (1990-1993)

SF: THE CD ERA (1997-present)

Or this

MYGNR

THE OLD GN'R ERA (1985-1997)

---SF: GENERAL OLD GN'R DISCUSSION

---SF: LIVE ERA '87-'93: OLD GN'R CONCERTS DISCUSSION

---SF: REUNION CHAT

---SF: OLD GN'R MEMBERS SOLO WORKS DISCUSSION

THE NEW GN'R ERA (1997-present)

---SF: GENERAL NEW GN'R DISCUSSION AND NEWS

---SF: THE RUMOR MILL! (All unverified news/rumors posted or sent here)

---SF: NEW GN'R MEMBERS SOLO WORKS DISCUSSION

---SF: ROUND 1: NEW GN'R CONCERTS DISCUSSION

Some sort of variant on either of these two structures perhaps. IMO, it would have things running more smoothly with less drama."

Or we could go with

Guns N' Roses Section

-Guns N' Roses Discussion and News (1985-present)

But apparently something's wrong with that

Just what is so offensive about including all GNR members, past and present, to the GNR discussion?

I assume that people here don't need anyone to cut your meat for them when they eat so why would anyone need their topics segregated before they click? If someone annoys you, ignore them. Have a little bit of personal responsibility for what you read. Quit expecting admins to be like a parental figure that filters everything before you log on.

Regardless of how the layout of the GNR discussion is structured with sub forums, there will always be past member discussion that pops up in that "CD era." A different structure isn't going to change that.

Every era of the band should be equally represented.

Not that I really disagree, but why? Why should every era be equally represented? Why can't the forum be biased towards the current lineup? After all, it is the current lineup that is going-on right now, it is from the current lineup the future will form. I see no problem with being based towards what is happening know in contrast to nostalgia and reminiscing. I don't mean this to support any particular sectioning, I am just questioning your premise.

I know Guns has had a lot of lineup changes, but I don't think it compares to the Yankees, for example, who have been around for over 100 years with hundreds of lineup changes. I'm sure the main section can handle the discussion of 7 other members (and we're really only talking about 2 or 3 former members that are the hot topic) witthout posters getting too overwhelmed by all the different names.

Just what is so offensive about including all GNR members, past and present, to the GNR discussion?

They are included in GNR discussion, just not on the main board. It's very common to have only current members of a band/group/team on the main board, because that's where the focus should be unless the entire forum is dedicated to a past version. For example, baseball players come and go from team to team. Can you imagine how clogged up the main board would be if every player who ever wore the team's uniform were being discussed? That's why the main board for Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox forums are reserved for players currently on the team. It makes sense when you think about it.

Bad analogy because past players ARE discussed when they are that important to the teams legacy. No one discusses the crappy to average players of the past just like no one discusses GNR's first "original members."

You'll never stop mentions of them. You guys should learn that by now.

Every era of the band should be equally represented.

Not that I really disagree, but why? Why should every era be equally represented? Why can't the forum be biased towards the current lineup?

i don't think it needs to be biased towards either line-up.

I agree, it doesn't need to, but there is nothing wrong with having a forum that is biased towards any particular lineup. It was this premise that it is inherently wrong to have a forum biased towards something as specific as a particular lineup, that I questioned.

As to how it is done on this forum: I understand why former admins have chosen to split it up, and I am positive the current administration will have some good choices when they reveal the new structure.

Do you really think it's okay to have threads about Apocalyptic Love, Balloon Cement or The Taking on the main board of a forum dedicated to GNR?

no because that would be non GnR related and that's the point. There's no problem having threads about ex members in the main section as long as its GnR related. Solo projects are completely different. Same as there shouldn't be mention of current members in that section if it's non GnR related.

Yes the number of former baseball players for any team will be more than the number of former GNR members, but it's the same premise. Recently on the main board I've seen discussions about Tracii, Robin, Bucket, Izzy, Gilby, Paul, Slash, Duff and Steven. It's not just Slash & Duff that are being brought up.

Things are happening with the current version of GNR because the current members are still together, touring and tweeting and making appearances and updating their official website and selling merchandise etc. Therefore there is a reason to dedicate the main area to them. But there is nothing happening with the old GNR lineups (now that the HOF is done) because they have all gone their separate ways, so why discuss on the main board parts of a lineup that no longer exists? There's nothing happening with the old GNR lineups, the only thing that can be discussed is nostalgia. Do you really think it's okay to have threads about Apocalyptic Love, Balloon Cement or The Taking on the main board of a forum dedicated to GNR?

And as most everyone knows, I have no bias for or against either the current GNR members or the former ones. I like 'em all.

I can count on one hand how many threads there have been since I joined in 2004 dedicated to Tracii, Paul and Gilby combined. It's not the norm and throwing their names in to make a point isn't the best example. Izzy and Duff have both recently joined nuGuns on stage, they are quite relevant to what's happening now. Steven is rarely mentioned unless he makes a comment about Axl, (which he swore he won't do anymore, lol) and that can be relevant to current discussion. The Robin and Bucket threads were people asking legitimate questions, they promoted pages of discussion, and quite frankly gennerated more activity on the board then the tour threads. People seem a bit disturbed by this reality, and I have no clue why. I'm not even a fan of either one, and I actually found the threads interesting. That is not the fault of the mods or how the sections are set up. All these ex members ARE current topics while Axl is touring. You can praise the current members all you want, but while they get up night after night covering the songs of other artists, those other artists are quite relevant to what is going on now.

What all this proves, imo, is that a majority of posters are interested in other aspects of this band, not just touring and tweeting and high priced VIP packages and merchandise. Those threads also exist. Anyone is free to post in them and keep them active.

People like you want it to be black or white, and that's impossible to do with this band. No one is hindering any other member from only posting in tour threads, or those concerning Tommy, Dizzy, Frank, Pitman, Ron, Richard or DJ. So what's the problem? I seriously don't "get" some people. Why so much drama about coming to a forum, which we all choose to do of our own free will, and get bothered by, or waste our time questioning, why a thread is in a section we don't think it belongs in? Like I said, there were 2 threads about Bucket and Finck, both of whom I strongly disliked while in the band and thrilled that they are both gone, but seeing threads about them didn't ruin my day nor did it maake me run to the restructure thread to post my neurotic concerns over it. I can conceed a thread with a main topic of Slash's solo album, or Adler's Appetite, or Bucket's solo album etc,. don't belong in the main section. But anything concerning their tenure while in the band should. I don't see this as a sign of disprespect to the current lineup at all. They all know they wouldn't have a job if those other guys didn't lay the groundwork before them, and they pay tribute to them every night on the tour when they play their music.

This tour is going to end soon, and there may be months or even years of silence. Members around these forums long enough know this. No offense, but anyone who joined in 2011 (assuming this is the first account) has no idea what they're talking about. Demanding that only discussion of the current members of the band be in the main section is a death blow, and will bring this place to a screaching halt. I know, I've been here when it's happened, and so have the admins and some of the mods. They have a plan for the forum and I'm sure they'll do what's best to keep this place active and fun. Hey, you can't please all of thee people all of the time, I get that. I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere.

There's no problem having threads about ex members in the main section as long as its GnR related. Solo projects are completely different. Same as there shouldn't be mention of current members in that section if it's non GnR related.

With this I agree, because if it's GNR related (such as Izzy performing a few songs with GNR on this current tour, or Slash commenting on a current member of GNR) then it's also related to the current GNR lineup.

Exactly! The most recent example that springs to mind is the Duff interview I posted where he talked at length about GnR, and lolcano and his cronies completely trolled the crap out of what could have been a pretty good thread. :shrugs: I don't even think it has to be related to the current lineup as long as it's related to GnR.

Edited by Dazey