"In my opinion, fans would rather have us put out music than tour" - BBF

The Glow Inc.

the part where he talks about how all the bandmembers write material - but doesn't mention axl's name - is kind of interesting, because you can tell he's pretty much indirectly aiming those comments at him, like, "book a studio already!" would like to hear these guys on a record for sure.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO as long as they play OMG Jungle, SCOM and PC the concert goers will keep going to see the band. New music is not needed to tour.

what.png

:rofl-lol:

Fuck me I didn't mean the song OMG..I meant like "OMG JUNGLE". I was just trying to be a dick and failed dry.gif

Unless Axl has the trilogy plan up his sleeve he's severely wasting a fuckload of potential. Missed an opportunity at Rock in Rio then UCAP and now the repeat of the last europe tour. Fantastic rock show yes, 3 hours of awesomeness and records make no money but keep the staples in for the casual fans and there'll be room for new stuff, it isn't going to expand GNR from the Chinese Democracy era by bringing little deviation for a new tour in 2013, Axl is now 50 he won't keep that voice forever, get this band on a record before this momentum is lost!

just like I suspected.

Axls band of dudes are sick and tired of the setlist strait jacket and the identically choreographed shows.

but massive respect to bumble for saying this out loud.

I don't think Axl will ever top Chinese,but what about a straight ahead,kick ass,guitar driven rock n roll album?

more like illusions 1 than 2.

Edited by stumbleine

It is all very well people saying the current line should mix things up and add some new songs to the show. Reality is, maybe they simply don't have any new songs to add even if they wanted to. Should they dust off the un finished stuff from the CD sessions, and if they did, woudln't that make them evermore a cover band. Do they ditch the work of Robin Finck, Buckethead, Brain and start from stratch and do the CD routine over again (BF, DJ, Frank in a room playing and sending demos over to Axl's house) - that routine could take years, Axl don't have years. Its safe to say by the time new music is made, Axl will be too old to tour it. Maybe this is the anwser to the question. Maybe Axl knows, what he is doing now is finnal.

Edited by vaida

Unless Axl has the trilogy plan up his sleeve he's severely wasting a fuckload of potential. Missed an opportunity at Rock in Rio then UCAP and now the repeat of the last europe tour. Fantastic rock show yes, 3 hours of awesomeness and records make no money but keep the staples in for the casual fans and there'll be room for new stuff, it isn't going to expand GNR from the Chinese Democracy era by bringing little deviation for a new tour in 2013, Axl is now 50 he won't keep that voice forever, get this band on a record before this momentum is lost!

Great post.

Seems as if everybody (fans, band members) wish the band would release new music. Unfortunately, the general doesn't seem to want to.

There is a quote from Axl in another thread about how his fans would love more music and he says something like "i realize the fans want us to release new music. But I'm not sure exactly what that means." Or some odd thing like that. Well let me clear it up. Fans of GnR, especially fans of Axl Rose, would kill to hear new music from their favorite singer/band. New music meaning songs that you haven't released yet. Any album you guys put out is going to sell 3-5 million copies. Fans love your music, please share with them!!!

Oh my goodness. If I understand BBF correctly, it's as if fans who merely watch the shows from home on youtube clips actually matter!

Don't you think fans who attend shows ALSO want a new record and would prefer that before another tour?

We all want the same, band members, hardcore fans, casual fans: new music. And Axl has said he wants to release more music but also to tour heavily in support of CD. Let's just hope things play out according to that plan.

Are you sure casual fans which are the vast, vast majority out there that grew up with GnR, want new music?

You have a good point. I probably shouldn't have included casual fans, although I am sure they have nothing against new music.

You guys are making my point for me: Many (most) 'fans' are casual fans who dont read the message boards and say "Oh? Gnr's coming to town? Sweet, let's party and hear Paradise City! The only thing that would be better is if Metallica was coming to town. Oh well! Party!" Problem is, playing to those fans perpetuates the problem of GNR looking like a nostalgia act, making Axl's 15 year efforts look inferior to 5 years of old GNR (which to me, is bullshit), looks like a cash grab, compromises the present band, the legacy and excitement which GNR defines.

Mainly I was responding to many here who insist that because they go to a few shows 'in reality', whereas I follow almost every show from my computer, that they're more objective and better than everyone else. Bullshit on so many levels. They probably couldnt care less how the band does or if the legacy of GNR is tarnished or whatever.

Thanks Ron for speaking up for many of us, and more importantly, speaking up for yourself.

Edited by Eu4ic

Obviously, I cannot speak for other people ( and I'm glad for those having a good time at the show, because yes, this band puts on great, great shows ), but yes, if I could choose, it would absolutely be a new album.

Hahaha, no, this band don't put on "great, great shows"... Not even close.

The shows are bland, boring and are lacking energy. Axl is old and fat, his voice sucks. But the funniest thing is not Axl, it's the people who pay to see that shit.

Obviously, I cannot speak for other people ( and I'm glad for those having a good time at the show, because yes, this band puts on great, great shows ), but yes, if I could choose, it would absolutely be a new album.

The shows are bland, boring and are lacking energy. Axl is old and fat, his voice sucks. But the funniest thing is not Axl, it's the people who pay to see that shit.

:rolleyes:

The funniest thing (or saddest) is the fact that a person who clearly hates the current band can't seem to stop posting about them. Maybe this place isn't for you?

Edited by WhazUp

The funniest thing (or saddest) is the fact that a person who clearly hates the current band will say they hate this lineup, but can't seem to stop posting about them. Maybe this place isn't for you?

Maybe you've heard about it. It is called freedom of speech.

Did you go to a show?

a. no

b. yes

Edited by The Archer

I wouldn't go see nu GNR again out of principal.

1. Maybe if fans stop going they'll be encouraged to do more exciting things, switch up the set list, record an album, do promotion. Right now everyone is giving Axl a free pass to be lazy by giving him money every night.

2. I already pretty much saw the show in 2006 with a cooler Axl, minus a DJ, plus a Finck and minus many jams.

"In my opinion, fans would rather have us put out music than tour" - BBF

Ofcourse they do. After all they've toured this album in 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 AND 2012.

No band does that. Axl isn't happy the way things went putting out and promoting CD? Tough luck! 6 retries isn't going to make it right. Move on.

And it's not like this is the Rolling Stones who have put out countless albums and have nothing to prove.

This is an essentially new band with fresh musicians who have everything to prove.

Mostly since a a fair lot of them weren't or were barely on CD at all.

Edit: And yes - great to see Ron speak up about the situation.

Edited by username

Good to see Bumble speak up about this. It's obvious that most people want to hear new music (including the nu-GNR cupcakes who pretend they don't) and I'm sure the entire band (sans Axl) are desperate to get into the studio.

The funniest thing (or saddest) is the fact that a person who clearly hates the current band will say they hate this lineup, but can't seem to stop posting about them. Maybe this place isn't for you?

Maybe you've heard about it. It is called freedom of speech.

#1 - The internet is a worldwide community and not every country has freedom of speech.

#2 - This forum is privately owned and nobody is entitled to freedom of speech here.

#3 - Freedom of speech still does not explain why someone would spend so much time posting about a band they don't like. I have the right to spend my life writing about grizzly bears, but if somebody asked me why I spend my life writing about grizzly bears when I do not like grizzly bears, "freedom of speech" would still not explain why I was choosing to speak so much about a subject I wasn't fond of.

facepalm.gif

How did they tour in for the album in 2001 if they were only previewing a few songs from the album and the record wasn't anywhere near ready for release? Also, how was it a tour if they only played 4 shows, 2 of which were in January and 2 of which were in December?

Why does Axl have to prove anything to anyone? Are you sure you're not projecting your own view of the world onto him?

Tour might be a big word, but they played 4 shows and debuted the new stuff. But ok, for arguments sake - even if you ignore 2001, my point still stands. 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Same shit, different year.

And last time I checked Axl wasn't the only person in this band.

Username -

How was the 2002 the tour for the album if the album wasn't near release and they were only playing previewing a few songs from the album?

Are you sure it wasn't actually a "comeback tour" for Axl and a chance to introduce the new lineup to the public?

Because it was called the Chinese Democracy tour and they played a few songs of their "soon to come out" Chinese Democracy album. Like a normal band does when they have just or are about to release an album. So yes. I'm pretty darn sure.

And even then, if it were "just" 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 AND 2012 is STILL just plain silly.

I wouldn't go see nu GNR again out of principal.

1. Maybe if fans stop going they'll be encouraged to do more exciting things, switch up the set list, record an album, do promotion. Right now everyone is giving Axl a free pass to be lazy by giving him money every night.

2. I already pretty much saw the show in 2006 with a cooler Axl, minus a DJ, plus a Finck and minus many jams.

You really think that if fans just decided not to go, that's going to push them to go in the studio? They'd just scrap the tour, Axl licenses out WTTJ to 10 action movies, maybe do a couple of private gigs, and he's prob. off to parts unknown, the rest of the guys work on their own thing, maybe get together and work on new songs, but odds are DJ, Tommy and Ron would be back to working on their own projects. I'm sure they'll discuss working on new music when they're hanging back stage, but they don't seem to be all that motivated while they're on the road.

And assuming Axl does go back in the studio next year, people are going to be complaining about no live shows.