The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Do any of you import? I've got two on their way right now - Taken and The Hurt Locker - beautiful steelbooks. I'll post pictures later :)

Technically I import from the States all the time, if that counts. :P

Canadian releases are getting worse and worse for having the French writing take up just as much room as the English writing and therefore many covers are ruined and the writing on the spine becomes so small I can barely read it on my damn shelf. Order from the US, problem solved. ;)

Currently I'm waiting on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bond-50-Complete-Collection-Hardcover/dp/B006U1J5ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338733787&sr=8-1

22 Blu Rays and you get a hardcover book with all the Bond posters to date if you order from Amazon. $186 ain't bad at all. Plus, they thought ahead and left a space for Skyfall so it'll fit in the box when it's released.

Yeah, but you guys have HMV and get a lot more (and better) exclusives than we do!

But I know what you mean about the writing - there are a number of steelbooks I decided not to get due to the damn French writing all over it :tongue2:

Make sure you read the picture and audio reviews when buying a blu ray. Recently I bought the Motorcycle Diaries at Future Shop because it was on sale, but when I got it home and put it on it was of terrible quality; probably worse than the dvd version, and of course the reviews reflected that.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Make sure you read the picture and audio reviews when buying a blu ray. Recently I bought the Motorcycle Diaries at Future Shop because it was on sale, but when I got it home and put it on it was of terrible quality; probably worse than the dvd version, and of course the reviews reflected that.

Yeah you gotta watch that...there's some truly miserable transfers out there.

Time Bandits is 1080i.

Terminator 3 is 1080i...although there is apparantly a second release which has corrected this.

Be wary of blus at the $10 range...it can mean quicky knockoff to make a buck (Terminator 1..just awful).

But $10 blus can also be great...might be a great sale of blu done right...example..I've seen all Pirates OTC for ten bucks and they look AMAZING!

More than I should :lol:

Really though, these are the most expensive ones, and they aren't even that bad. The first two, after shipping, I'll get for around $35-40 (for the pair), which is really good considering they're coming from overseas. Paul is a little more expensive though, mainly because of it's availability.

As for the blus I just buy around here though, in the states, I don't usually spend more than $10-15 on one single movie, and I don't even do that too often. Occasionally I'll splurge on a new release f $20 or so, but that's only if I really want the movie.

Amazon all the way for movies (though you probably buy stuff they don't always carry). I live in Canada, but I order from Amazon.com more than Amazon.ca. I'm charged for shipping across the border, but the prices are so much better that you still come out way ahead. I don't see how anyone can compete with Amazon on prices. We also have HMV stores up here, and Wal-Mart, and between these two and Amazon.com there is no shortage of inexpensive DVDs and BRs. Of course, when you start piling up the purchases, it adds up!

I have these movies on BR:

Cast Away

Derailed

No Country for Old Men

Rambo (the entire series)

Showgirls :lol:

Got an Oppo BDP-93 player.

Nice player! Not cheap but one of the best you can buy for under $1000....I am getting ready to spring for one so how do you like it?

I like it quite a bit. Had two other players before settling on the Oppo. A Cambridge Audio 650BD and a Denon BDP-1611UD. The Denon had great audio quality for a universal player, but couldn't compare to the Oppo for video quality. You have to go up the Denon line (and pay something like $1,000) to get a player that has the video processing capability of the Oppo. The Cambridge was just an older machine and also couldn't compare (plus it was overpriced as well vs. the Oppo).

So I pretty much agree, if all you need is a great BR and DVD player (which is my situation), look no further than the Oppo. It has nice build quality too. If you also want a great CD player then you may have to look at the Oppo BDP-95 or something else from Denon, Marantz, or Arcam. But, I would always prefer a stand alone CD player. Or if you want games, a PS3, which from what I've heard holds it's own as a Blu-Ray player.

Thanks for the response KBear!...yeah I looked a the 95 also but sadly don't have the time to sit and listen to CD's properly so for me it is not worth it at double the price of the 95 just for the superior CD audio....I will get a 93 and a Sharp 70" Quattron when the new models come out soon and then next year upgrade my present 5.1 Marantz receiver to a Marantz SR7005 7.2 receiver and add 2 more surrounds and a second bass module to my present system....Should be kick ass once I am done..........

qzf59z.jpg

Any Ray Harryhausen fans here?

This was the second blu-ray release from Twilight Time.

Another limited edition (3,000 copies).

The absolute best I've ever seen this movie look,really beautiful transfer.

A couple of audio options as well as an isolated score...all sound superb.

I love classic sci-fi movies...have a real passion for 50's 60's movies within the genre.

This release is from 1961,based on the Jules Verne story.

Probably one of my fav Harryhausen flicks,up there with Jason and the Argonauts (but that's another post :wub: )

It's got a giant chicken (nasty little fucker) and a giant crab...and the absolute classic animation of Harryhausen.

It's also got Captain Nemo (Herbert Lom)...what's not to love?

And this one came with a magnet of the cover art too. :tongue2:

This release holds a special place in my collection.

9/10

And that reminds me, my Lost Collection is a prize of mine as well :D

I got this through Amazon on a one-day-only deal for $99

You must have gotten yours a couple weeks after Christmas? My mom got me mine for Christmas when they had it for $130, and I remember it going to $100 not too long after.

You must have gotten yours a couple weeks after Christmas? My mom got me mine for Christmas when they had it for $130, and I remember it going to $100 not too long after.

Sounds about right...I almost jumped at the $130 sale,glad I waited.

Also got that Scream set you mentioned (is it the one with the mask?).

I got that blu-ray set (with the mask) on an Amazon.ca one-day-only deal for $ 23.99.

I couldn't believe it!

Sounds about right...I almost jumped at the $130 sale,glad I waited.

Also got that Scream set you mentioned (is it the one with the mask?).

I got that blu-ray set (with the mask) on an Amazon.ca one-day-only deal for $ 23.99.

I couldn't believe it!

The 5 disc set all in one? I didn't want that, because it bugs me having a set, then knowing they're going to release more. I bought the individual-case versions last night. :) You got a good deal regardless, though!

I wish my Wal-Mart had leftovers of their exclusive Resident Evil steelbooks. Apparently they're priced at $7.88, but none of the walmarts around me have them :(

Speaking of Walmart...don't know if there are any Chuck Norris fans here,but Walmart has exclusive dibs on three blurays that will be released on June 5.

Missing In Action

Missing In Action 2

Delta Force

Anyone a Battlestar Galactica fan?...(the remake series)

Amazing deal on the entire series in blu at Amazon.com right now.

I've got this series on blu...looks fucking amazing!

The set on sale right now is a special edition with a Cylon figure (my set didn't come with that) :question:

link

Zint, why don't you be a nice guy and go ahead an order me this http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Limitless-Blu-ray/41359/ :D

OOOOoooo...nice!

I love that site btw...I go there a lot! :)

Blu-ray.com is my second favorite site :)

But yeah, I want that Limitless steel. Turns out it would cost me around $30 to get though, which is a little too expensive :tongue2:

Zint, why don't you be a nice guy and go ahead an order me this http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Limitless-Blu-ray/41359/ :D

OOOOoooo...nice!

But yeah, I want that Limitless steel. Turns out it would cost me around $30 to get though, which is a little too expensive :tongue2:

Why 30?...delivery?

Can't you just order 2 things (find something else you want) and get free delivery?

Zint, why don't you be a nice guy and go ahead an order me this http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Limitless-Blu-ray/41359/

OOOOoooo...nice!

Why 30?...delivery?

Can't you just order 2 things (find something else you want) and get free delivery?

Does amazon.ca do free delivery deals with people ordering in the US? I don't buy from Amazon, so I don't know how it works :tongue2:

And I guess I potentially could, if I could find something else I wanted :tongue2:

EDIT: Yep, just checked and only to Canadian addresses. Dammit! I was about to order Limitless and The Departed steelbooks, too :lol:

The US doesn't get shit like this :(

Sorry man,didn't realize that link went to Amazon.ca fot the Limitless steelbook.

I thought you were showing me one from Amazon.com..that's why I mentioned the free shipping thing because you get free shipping on orders of $25.00 or more there as well (US resdients).

I have to pay for orders from the US site...and an "esitimated duty fee" or something.

What TV shows do you guys (or zint, being as it's mainly just us :lol:) have?

I've got:

Deadwood Complete Series

Lost Complete Series

Game of Thrones Season One

Justified Season 1 and 2

Boardwalk Empire Season 1

Been thinking about grabbing the Complete Series for Rome, as it's only 42.99, but it's only two seasons. Anyone have it or watched it? Is it worth it?

Also, Safe House comes out tomorrow, and Best Buy has an exclusive steelbook, but it's a G1 (dvd size) case, which is fucking stupid, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying it anyway <_<

Blu-Ray?

Deadwood (The entire series)

Game of Thrones (First season)

Dexter (Seasons 1-5)

Eastbound and Down (Season 1 & 2)

True Blood (Seasons 1-3)

Building up my collection for TV series as you can see. Too bad Six Feet Under hasn't been released in blu-ray, that would be a must have for me.

Blu-Ray?

It's the blu-ray thread, isn't it? :P

And nice collection, there :thumbsup:

I'm too far behind in buying True Blood and Dexter (don't have either), so I figure I'm just going to wait a few years for the Complete Series sets to come out. :shrugs:

I'm most definitely going to buy all of Eastbound & Down whenever the third one comes out, also.

And yeah, I wish they would re-release Six Feet Under on blu-ray. Not sure if there are any plans to do so, but they would be smart if they did.