The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

My latest acquisition:

The-Godfather-Collection.jpg

Oh man that's a beauty!

I throw this collection on at least three or four times a year.

Looks beautiful on blu!

HMV, so you can order if if you'd like (I wish Play.com shipped internationally...).

The artwork is going to be the movie poster - the twisting house. Can't post a picture right now since I'm at work, but it looks pretty nice. :) I loved the movie and will gladly pay $30 for a steelbook version of it.

I'm hoping the rating logos aren't printed on the steel though. No idea why they even think that's a good idea...

HMV Canada??

HMV, so you can order if if you'd like (I wish Play.com shipped internationally...).

The artwork is going to be the movie poster - the twisting house. Can't post a picture right now since I'm at work, but it looks pretty nice. :) I loved the movie and will gladly pay $30 for a steelbook version of it.

I'm hoping the rating logos aren't printed on the steel though. No idea why they even think that's a good idea...

I suppose the ratings being printed aren't as bad as the Canadian releases which have both the English and French texts (as I've mentioned before). I don't know why but it's really only started to bother me in more recent years as I've started collecting more movies. The Canadian releases look especially out of place when they end of next to some of my American releases. I hate seeing the title twice on the spine. Drives me nuts. :lol:

That's bloody nice!

Is that region free,or do you put your own blu in the the steel?

Won't probably know until closer to release, but it's suspected this will be Region Locked, as Lionsgate is known for it, apparently. That's why I'm hoping Region A gets one.

I have no problem putting a different disc in the steel, but I'm not going to buy a brand new movie like this twice to do it.

I suppose the ratings being printed aren't as bad as the Canadian releases which have both the English and French texts (as I've mentioned before). I don't know why but it's really only started to bother me in more recent years as I've started collecting more movies. The Canadian releases look especially out of place when they end of next to some of my American releases. I hate seeing the title twice on the spine. Drives me nuts. :lol:

Yeah, I can imagine. That's why I passed on the recent Limitless Canadian steel. :(

sup guise. I'm going to buy a TV for my room soon, and I figured you guys know a lot about this stuff, like LCD vs. plasma, LED, HD and whatnot. I'm going to use it to see watch a little TV and play some games every now and then, but mostly to watch films. Which brands do you guys prefer and what type of TV fits my purposes best?

sup guise. I'm going to buy a TV for my room soon, and I figured you guys know a lot about this stuff, like LCD vs. plasma, LED, HD and whatnot. I'm going to use it to see watch a little TV and play some games every now and then, but mostly to watch films. Which brands do you guys prefer and what type of TV fits my purposes best?

You might find some info in this thread.

link

If any of that gear sounds good,ask for some more advice if needed. :)

My latest acquisition:

Oh man that's a beauty!

Looks beautiful on blu!

HMV Canada??

Godfather sagas are my favorite moives of all time! just got my OPPO BDP-93 bluray player, which is a beautiful unit, but still researching what HD LED TV I want to get so don't have the ability to play blurays.

I find the Godfather movies on DVD to be a bit grainy which is to be expected considering how old they are, so are they that much better then regular DVD on bluray?

Edited by classicrawker

You might find some info in this thread.

link

If any of that gear sounds good,ask for some more advice if needed. :)

Thanks brah

Not to take this thread off topic (you can come back when you get your TV and start buying blu-rays :D), but I'll give you simple info:

LCD and LED are pretty much the exact same. An LED is an LCD TV, but LEDs have brighter back lights and give the TV a bit more of a brighter, sharper picture.

Plasmas tend to have a more "natural" look along with deeper blacks. Only get a Plasma if you have the right lighting though - i.e. no windows around, no lights in the direction of the screen; they reflect a lot, so any light nearby will mess with the picture a good bit

Personally, I would go with a Samsung or Sony LED TV. I have a Sony have have it set to perfection (imo) and I haven't found one thing that looks like shit on it.

Hope that helps, mang

The on-tv button? Like the one you press to turn the power on? I have no idea how they can possibly complicate that.

Anyway, I think I'll be getting a LED-TV as the TV will be turned towards my bed and the window. I'll get back to you when I need to set the colours, brightness and whatnot for the optimal eye-gasm.

I have a nice Toshiba LED. Crystal clear picture that looks even better than my friend's Sony. Granted, his is a bit older but not much.

Back on the topic of Blu-rays, I think I'll be ordering the James Bond collection off Amazon.com since it comes with a book and it's cheaper. Plus, no French writing. :thumbsup:

My latest acquisition:

Oh man that's a beauty!

Looks beautiful on blu!

HMV Canada??

Godfather sagas are my favorite moives of all time! just got my OPPO BDP-93 bluray player, which is a beautiful unit, but still researching what HD LED TV I want to get so don't have the ability to play blurays.

I find the Godfather movies on DVD to be a bit grainy which is to be expected considering how old they are, so are they that much better then regular DVD on bluray?

"The films have been returned for us to see at home as closely as possible to what theaters first screened."

That quote pretty much sums it up.The blu-ray remasters are meticulous,and with Coppola's approval.

Just the deepest richest blacks.The grain is there,but that's the way it was all filmed.

It's not HD slick like an Iron Man or something.These films were filmed with deliberate hues and tones...and they just crackle.

Seriously,these films will never look better.

If those are your fav movies of all time,you owe it to yourself to upgrade.

And you can get the set right now at Amazon for the ridculously low price of 30 bucks!

The 10 or so Bond movies that have been released on Blu-ray so far had a limited release as steelbooks. Too bad the only full set I can find on eBay is like $600. :lol:

I'm definitely glad I held off though. When MGM had that bankruptcy thing going on a couple years ago I figured that'd get in the way of releasing the rest of the films on Blu-ray, which it did. Then as soon as that was over with I figured they'd do a giant box set for the 50th anniversary of the franchise.

The "Bond 50" layout looks pretty cool, and they have an open slot for when "Skyfall" comes out. I didn't buy the Blu Rays because I had the 2-disc sets, but a couple of years ago, wound up taking them to a DVD trade store..figured at some point they'd be out on Blu-Ray, even when that was all put on hold.

My latest acquisition:

Oh man that's a beauty!

Looks beautiful on blu!

HMV Canada??

"The films have been returned for us to see at home as closely as possible to what theaters first screened."

That quote pretty much sums it up.The blu-ray remasters are meticulous,and with Coppola's approval.

Just the deepest richest blacks.The grain is there,but that's the way it was all filmed.

It's not HD slick like an Iron Man or something.These films were filmed with deliberate hues and tones...and they just crackle.

And you can get the set right now at Amazon for the ridculously low price of 30 bucks!

Def. worth getting on Blu Ray. I know with "Star Wars: Complete Saga", they left out one of the documentaries, but "Godfather" included the one from the 2001 box AND ones for the Blu Ray.

OM fuckingG!!

This is holy grail for me!

51uPem7ZWuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1180tbr.jpg

In the fall, Universal Studios Home Entertainment will bring the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection to Blu-ray. This eight-disc, limited-edition box set compiles nine films from the studio's venerated horror movie catalog, all of which make their respective U.S. Blu-ray debuts through this package.

The films include:

Dracula (1931)

Drácula [spanish-language version] (1931)

Frankenstein (1931)

The Mummy (1932)

The Invisible Man (1933)

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

The Wolf Man (1941)

Phantom of the Opera (1943)

Creature from the Black Lagoon (3-D, 1954)

The fucking original 3D version of Creature From the Black Lagoon!!!...Finally!! B)

My latest acquisition:

Oh man that's a beauty!

Looks beautiful on blu!

HMV Canada??

Thanks Zint ! that will be my first bluray purchase

Edited by classicrawker